Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

ShagNastii wrote: »
    This whole Garda dance thing got me thinking.

Losing the height restrictions for the Gardai was such a misstep. OK, I’ll agree there have surely been fantastic people who have entered since this change but when it comes to Gardai on the beat some (particularly female) are dainty AF and are a total liability.

I think a lot of people agree even if it's not something they're going to talk about publicly too often.
    Go to Holland/Germany/Belgium and the cops looks like they'd break you in 2 with a shove. But they're friendly and approachable (if you're not pissed/being a tool). I've heard the argument that Gardai shouldn't have to be "intimidating" because that's not the point of them. Having cops who are physically imposing instantly changes the equation of a lot of situation. Seeing a 5 foot 4 pudgy lad in a Garda uniform in a hurry with breakfast roll in hand is pretty disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The average age of covid deaths in Ireland is higher than the natural death age.

Oymyakon wrote: »
    I’ve may have unintentially hijacked the thread to delve into my own personal woes, but Thank you for your advice, it’s a little bit of extra motivation for me to keep trying to find the right path :)

I'm on my 4th course, failed out of a degree in 1st year, got a degree in an unrelated field then a level 8 in an another unrelated field. Doing a level 9 in the same field as what I failed out of before, not sure I'm fit for it but we'll see, maybe there was an element of unfinished business. :pac:
    But yeah, switching up what you do til you find what you want is fine. The great thing with Computer Science and Data Analysis and the like is that if you have talent for it and like it then in the space of a year you can have a lot done and show it off. People coming out of a 4 year degree will look good but self-taught with a public GitHub means you're in the picture. A year or 2 on <€30k, get your experience and in less time than it takes to get a degree you can be on decent money in Dublin in a field that's growing massively.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

vriesmays wrote: »
    The average age of covid deaths in Ireland is higher than the natural death age.

Is that a fact or an unpopular opinion? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

People who don't use cash or/ and think online shopping is cheaper and easier than bricks and mortar are a bit slow in the head, frankly. I just can't respect somebody who uses tap and go as their main method of payment, it's like they are lacking something about them,

Or even worse, clowns using Apple Pay holding up the queue as they take five attempts to make the payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

People who don't use cash or/ and think online shopping is cheaper and easier than bricks and mortar are a bit slow in the head, frankly. I just can't respect somebody who uses tap and go as their main method of payment, it's like they are lacking something about them,

Or even worse, clowns using Apple Pay holding up the queue as they take five attempts to make the payment.
    What do you mean by "easier than bricks and mortar"?

Antares35 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "easier than bricks and mortar"?

As in, it is easier, and almost always significantly cheaper, to buy an item of brand name clothing in your local shopping centre than to go on a website, enter your CC number, and pray that the item reaches you promptly and safely rather than the delivery man throwing it over a neighbours wall.

Jeff Bezo's wealth amazes me. I can't possibly think of any situation that would require me to purchase something on Amazon, save perhaps a hard to find book (and books are a tiny part of their business now from what I gather). I know they sell niche equipment those in the music business find useful, but I am baffled as to what the man on the street could possibly need off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

As in, it is easier, and almost always significantly cheaper, to buy an item of brand name clothing in your local shopping centre than to go on a website, enter your CC number, and pray that the item reaches you promptly and safely rather than the delivery man throwing it over a neighbours wall.

In these covid days using your card is much quicker and not having to carry your change is great. The rest of your posts also make no sense. Everyone knows almost everything is cheaper online, thats the whole point of buying online. You also have more rights when you buy online like if the item was faulty.

Greyfox wrote: »
    In these covid days using your card is much quicker and not having to carry your change is great.

I'd rather know how much I am paying for something rather than engage with places that keep the card reader behind the counter, meaning I could be tapping for god knows how much. Hence why it is for idiots.

Paying cash is far faster as well.
    The rest of your posts also make no sense. Everyone knows almost everything is cheaper online, thats the whole point of buying online. .

A bizarrely common misconception. The only brand name clothing, for one example, you ever see online dramatically cheaper than in store is almost always for extra small or multiple XXL i.e. stuff that is hard to shift. Popular sites like ASOS are staggeringly more expensive than your local chain shops. These sites make a killing off laziness and ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

something rarely mentioned in the media

its overwhelmingly a threat to the already very old who can die from numerous ailments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I'd rather know how much I am paying for something rather than engage with places that keep the card reader behind the counter, meaning I could be tapping for god knows how much. Hence why it is for idiots.

A bizarrely common misconception. The only brand name clothing, for one example, you ever see online dramatically cheaper than in store is almost always for extra small or multiple XXL i.e. stuff that is hard to shift. Popular sites like ASOS are staggeringly more expensive than your local chain shops. These sites make a killing off laziness and ignorance.

I think you're pushing alternative facts rather than unpopular opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Is that a fact or an unpopular opinion? :p

more like an underreported fact

You can see the amount you're paying for on the card reader. Why would you hand your card over to someone to tap it behind a counter. That is idiocy. In any event, the max contactless transaction is fifty euro.

Cash is not faster. Especially when you have to wait for change to be counted out and put on the counter for you to pick up. It's also probably filthy.

You can see the amount you're paying for on the card reader. Why would you hand your card over to someone to tap it behind a counter. y.

But this is standard in a good one third of places. Takeaways in particular. The card reader is either out of sight or is presented to you upside down, making it difficult to read the amount displayed. Hence why tap and go is for idiots who don't mind if they are charged 45 euro for a burger.

Cash is faster. If I'm buying a 3 euro bottle of milk I have my exact change ready in the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

We will holiday with you in Costa Blancs or whereever

But besides all of that we are totally different.

Well they don’t own Costa Blanca?

Many chose not to holiday with them.

That said, your list seems to describe ignorant types more than anything else

Also, reminds me of those PL types who won’t buy the Sun because of what they said about Liverpool fans, but seemingly have no problem with it’s anti-Irish history

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

On another note, sorry to rehash this but I feel our Gardaí are not fit for purpose

Maybe 10-15% are similar to frontline police you would see in the UK, Netherlands or Germany, rest are useless

My unpopular opinion is that they do not do a good job, their hands are not tied to avoid going to the gym, when receiving compo, polishing their medals, they and their union are fraudulent

Cannot understand why Dublin 1 business who pay council rates don’t hire a private security force from Central or Eastern Europe or indeed have the Gardaí hire en masse police from foreign countries to fill our ranks

It would clean up corruption, inefficiencies, cliques, etc very quickly

Would save money considering the amount the country pays on pretending things are not happening eg tourism adverts, “regeneration”, lost business

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ever hear of a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

People who are really into cash and cash only businesses are generally trying to fiddle money in some way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Rami Malek...never enjoy anything he is in..

Ever hear of a receipt?

I'd sooner not receive them for non refundable/ low cost goods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

People who are really into cash and cash only businesses are generally trying to fiddle money in some way!

My doctor only takes cash, pain in the hoop and must be a tax dodge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

That's not an opinion, it's either a fact or it is a falsehood. If you are providing facts it is always good to provide your source.

Mimon wrote: »
    My doctor only takes cash, pain in the hoop and must be a tax dodge :)

It is very dodgy that a qualified physician only takes cash as payment.

astrofool wrote: »

Why? He operates a business and has the right to deal with customers in any manner he sees fit.

Reminds me of people who moan that most taxi drivers don't have a card machine. Why should they? If you're not enough of a grown up to use cash don't get a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

astrofool wrote: »

I was about to pay a solicitor and opened my wallet and had a wad of notes and she goes “ well you’re hardly going to pay VAT with that cash “ and charged me 50 quid less :)

Why? He operates a business and has the right to deal with customers in any manner he sees fit.

Reminds me of people who moan that most taxi drivers don't have a card machine. Why should they? If you're not enough of a grown up to use cash don't get a taxi.

Because a high % of people don't use paper/cloth and metal to pay for things anymore, so you're immediately limiting the market for your business unnecessarily.

Ok so all your posts are basically "only grown-ups use cash and only idiots use cards". I'd hate to live my life in such fear of being scammed by everyone that I go around with pockets full of coins for everything. What happens if you come upon something you want to purchase spontaneously? Do you have a wad of just in case cash? Are you not afraid some bad person will trick you out of that too? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

[/QUOTE]

The price is always displayed when I'm buying items, perhaps your buying stuff in the wrong kind of shops.

It sounds to me like you've never bought anything online and therefore know nothing about buying online. I could easily go into a shopping centre and find 1,000's of items that are more expensive than amazon whereas finding something cheaper in store is rare. Loads of managers of high street stores would be quick to admit that price is an area where they can't compete with online prices. It's common sense really, if you have to pay rent for a bricks and morter store your overheads are a lot higher than an online store that ship from a massive warehouse.

Ok so all your posts are basically "only grown-ups use cash and only idiots use cards". I'd hate to live my life in such fear of being scammed by everyone that I go around with pockets full of coins for everything. What happens if you come upon something you want to purchase spontaneously? Do you have a wad of just in case cash? Are you not afraid some bad person will trick you out of that too? :D

I generally would carry 200 quid on me if I'm out and about shopping. The odd time I have seen something I fancied and been short of cash in pocket, and had to resort to chip and pin. I feel like an absolute bellend doing it, being quite honest. Buying nice stuff doesn't feel the same if you're not using a wad of notes frankly.

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »

The price is always displayed when I'm buying items, perhaps your buying stuff in the wrong kind of shops.

It sounds to me like you've never bought anything online and therefore know nothing about buying online. I could easily go into a shopping centre and find 1,000's of items that are more expensive than amazon whereas finding something cheaper in store is rare. Loads of managers of high street stores would be quick to admit that price is an area where they can't compete with online prices. It's common sense really, if you have to pay rent for a bricks and morter store your overheads are a lot higher than an online store that ship from a massive warehouse.

A good one third of retailers do not allow you an easy glance of the card reader screen. Anybody happy to tap and go under such circumstances deserves to be robbed.

Where, pray tell, are these rock bottom online stores? Because any time I have looked, ASOS, Zalondo and Amazon have been far, far more expensive than bricks and mortar. The only online seller selling rock bottom cost clothes is mandmdirect, but that is primarily because they sell brands that for whatever reason are seldom stocked by high street stores, such as Umbro.

Last winter I saw a Jack Jones jacket I really liked in the upstairs of Sports Direct in town, only unfortunately not in my size. Tried getting it online, every online outlet was selling it for 180 to 300, compared to the 70 quid it cost in Sports Direct. I held off. Lo and behold, next time I was in the jacket was back in stock in my size.

Advertisement