Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

I would just file this under "Childish" and not take any notice of it. Both sides are as bad as each other. Old news.

I stopped following English/Scottish football years ago because well....well I grew up.

Agreed, I get following a sport because someone has an interest in it but to pledge allegiance to a foreign team and using the term "WE" when referring to said team is cringeworthy stuff, get a life and stop wearing foreign soccer kits when going to the shop for milk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Agreed, I get following a sport because someone has an interest in it but to pledge allegiance to a foreign team and using the term "WE" when referring to said team is cringeworthy stuff, get a life and stop wearing foreign soccer kits when going to the shop for milk

There is really nothing more soul destroying than coming back to Ireland a few times a year to see grown men wearing English club football jerseys (or any football top for that matter). PL is on the TV in the pub and people chatting about Eastenders and reading the Sun.

Honest to God if any tourist spent time in England and then travelled across to Ireland it would be hard to tell any discernable difference.

A part of me dies every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There is really nothing more soul destroying than coming back to Ireland a few times a year to see grown men wearing English club football jerseys (or any football top for that matter). PL is on the TV in the pub and people chatting about Eastenders and reading the Sun.

Honest to God if any tourist spent time in England and then travelled across to Ireland it would be hard to tell any discernable difference.

You want everyone to satisfy your stereotypes?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Unpopular opinion indeed.

You want everyone to satisfy your stereotypes?

What stereotypes would they be now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I would just file this under "Childish" and not take any notice of it. Both sides are as bad as each other. Old news.

I stopped following English/Scottish football years ago because well....well I grew up.

Exactly. Both clubs have a serious amount of knuckle draggers it's unreal. I worked in a bar in Manchester for a few years and used to love the craic when fans from all over Europe were in for European games. That is except Celtic fans. Braking things, pissing everywhere, singing songs about the beheading of soldiers. Most were pure plastic Paddies from talking to them who had no idea the difference from say Derry to Kerry. I wasn't there when Rangers fans destroyed the city for the Uefa Cup final but lads I worked with said they were even worse!. Have to laugh at the whataboutery between the fans. Celtic fans complaining about Rangers fans singing about being up to their knees in Fenian blood, then after being at Aberdeen Celtic last season realising the Celtic fans sang IRA songs for most of the match! No problem with either set of fans singing about these but it's the double standards that are embarrassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

Exactly. Both clubs have a serious amount of knuckle draggers it's unreal. I worked in a bar in Manchester for a few years and used to love the craic when fans from all over Europe were in for European games. That is except Celtic fans. Braking things, pissing everywhere, singing songs about the beheading of soldiers. Most were pure plastic Paddies from talking to them who had no idea the difference from say Derry to Kerry. I wasn't there when Rangers fans destroyed the city for the Uefa Cup final but lads I worked with said they were even worse!. Have to laugh at the whataboutery between the fans. Celtic fans complaining about Rangers fans singing about being up to their knees in Fenian blood, then after being at Aberdeen Celtic last season realising the Celtic fans sang IRA songs for most of the match! No problem with either set of fans singing about these but it's the double standards that are embarrassing!

I could be wrong but i always feel Celtic fans seems to think they're always the victims and have never done anything wrong. While i can't say i actually know any Rangers fans there doesn't seem to be the same playing the victim as Celtic fans do.

cms88 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but i always feel Celtic fans seems to think they're always the victims and have never done anything wrong. While i can't say i actually know any Rangers fans there doesn't seem to be the same playing the victim as Celtic fans do.

When Rangers are crowned champions later this year the best back handed compliment is to congratulate them on their very first title.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Please feel free to not come home that often so.
    Seriously, why can't people wear football jerseys if that's what they want?
    Why do they have to live up to your view of Irishness (and you don't even live here)?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,847 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What annoys me is when people leave the country they claim to love to go live somewhere else, then come home giving out about how shítty the place is. You moved away once, so feel free to stay away if ya don't like the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

Quazzie wrote: »
    What annoys me is when people leave the country they claim to love to go live somewhere else, then come home giving out about how shítty the place is. You moved away once, so feel free to stay away if ya don't like the place

I often think that about people who went to Australia etc and then complained that everything wan't just handed to them when they got back.

I love this one.
    Why if you have supported a team for decades can't you use the term "we"?
    How close to the team's address do you have to live before you can use "we"?

And why can't people wear foreign soccer kits? Is it the foreign, or soccer that you have the hump with?
    Would a Dallas Cowboys jersey be ok? Or a Springboks jersey?

On online meetings everyone seems to be perfectly positioned in front of a wall of books (and maybe a guitar) to demonstrate how intellectual and cultured they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I've a friend like that, he has Irish and French parents and he "identifies" as French even though he was born and raised in Ireland and still lives and works here. He won't even date Irish women. He's been single for a decade. Even having dinner with him can be exhausting - "oh the xyz is better in France, Ireland just can't compete" - well f*ck off to France then where the women, politics and bread are all better. :p

My unpopular opinion is whenever there's a news item about someone gone missing and they say the person is "known to frequent" a certain area, I just assume that they haven't been abducted, have most likely run away and will probably return.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Been saying it years. Deep down we are obsessed with England and admire England

The whole vibe given off of being anti England is insincere..

Please feel free to not come home that often so.
    Seriously, why can't people wear football jerseys if that's what they want?
    Why do they have to live up to your view of Irishness (and you don't even live here)?

What a considered and mature comment. This is a thread on opinions. I lived in Ireland for over 30 years so I am well qualified to comment.

People can do what they like. Live in a football jersey for all I care. I will just will not take you seriously and I will arrive at my own conclusion about your IQ level.

And no, aping the next-door neighbour and screaming at Sky Sports in Liverpool/Celtic/whatever jersey while drinking Carling, then going home to watch EastEnders, and reading the Sun is not in my definition of Irishness. If it is then it is a sad and sorrowful state of affairs.

walshb wrote: »
    Been saying it years. Deep down we are obsessed with England and admire England

The whole vibe given off of being anti England is insincere..

We will speak your language even to the point of crapping all over our own language
    We will watch your TV and films
    We will follow your sport teams
    We will even drive past the local League of Ireland clubs and spend our money in Old Trafford etc
    We will spend money on Sky to pipe in English TV
    We will buy your music
    We will buy your newspapers
    We will obsess about soaps and popular culture
    We will drink your beer
    We will holiday with you in Costa Blancs or whereever
    We will shop in your high street stores

But besides all of that we are totally different.

What a considered and mature comment. This is a thread on opinions. I lived in Ireland for over 30 years so I am well qualified to comment.

People can do what they like. Live in a football jersey for all I care. I will just will not take you seriously and I will arrive at my own conclusion about your IQ level.

And no, aping the next-door neighbour and screaming at Sky Sports in Liverpool/Celtic/whatever jersey while drinking Carling, then going home to watch EastEnders, and reading the Sun is not in my definition of Irishness. If it is then it is a sad and sorrowful state of affairs.

I'm still not sure whether it's the foreign or the soccer part that you have the problem with?
    Plenty of people support Liverpool, Shamrock Rovers, Dublin GAA and Leinster Rugby on different occasions and have the jerseys at home to prove it. Is some jersey wearing ok?

I must admit that the crossover in support between Shamrock Rovers and Leinster Rugby may not be significant.

Yeeeaaah....you see your mistake right there. If that comment was specifically aimed at me you have jumped to all sorts of wrong conclusions.

You assume I think Ireland is ****ty? No I don't where did I say that? I love Ireland it is a great country. My comments specifically allude to yokes in English football jerseys and aping English popular culture. It certainly does not amount to trashing the entire country.

I have very specific qualifications and the Irish market is non existant so yes I had to secure better employment abroad and plus my wife is from here. I didn't just say "Eff this dump. I'm off to Bondi Beach" which is the idea you have. I would much rather work in Ireland- it has it's faults like every country I have ever worked in but the positives far far outweigh the negatives.

• Advertisement

I'm still not sure whether it's the foreign or the soccer part that you have the problem with?
    Plenty of people support Liverpool, Shamrock Rovers, Dublin GAA and Leinster Rugby on different occasions and have the jerseys at home to prove it. Is some jersey wearing ok?

I must admit that the crossover in support between Shamrock Rovers and Leinster Rugby may not be significant.

I have no issue with soccer or foreign in themselves. This might shock you but I actually go to 1-2 PL league games a season as it is nearby and also Premiership rugby. Not too often as it is not worth the expense IMO.

Personally I find adults wearing football jerseys while out and about a bit sad and pathetic. It looks even more pathetic when you see lads back in Cork or Dublin or the back arse of Kerry getting all hot and bothered about Chelsea while sitting there in a Chelsea jersey. The older the lad the sadder it is and throw in the old beer gut to go with it: I'm thinking "Grow the hell up you sad bastard."

Follow whatever team you want but do you really need to live in a scummy synthetic football top? But ultimately each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Antares35 wrote: »
    I've a friend like that, he has Irish and French parents and he "identifies" as French even though he was born and raised in Ireland and still lives and works here. He won't even date Irish women. He's been single for a decade. Even having dinner with him can be exhausting - "oh the xyz is better in France, Ireland just can't compete" - well f*ck off to France then where the women, politics and bread are all better. :p

I knew a guy like that in college too. Irish father and French mother. Bored the arse off everybody pontificating on the superiority of all things French. Needless to say, we didn’t remain in touch. Last I heard, he tried living in France for a few years, but later returned to Ireland. Not sure what to conclude from that...

Why are you still mates with the fella you described above? He sounds like an utter bore.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I knew a guy like that in college too. Irish father and French mother. Bored the arse off everybody pontificating on the superiority of all things French. Needless to say, we didn’t remain in touch. Last I heard, he tried living in France for a few years, but later returned to Ireland. Not sure what to conclude from that...

Why are you still mates with the fella you described above? He sounds like an utter bore.

Ah he's fairly benign so it's more a case that we've drifted apart really than actually had a proper severing of the friendship. With covid I haven't seen him for ages anyway.

I have no issue with soccer or foreign in themselves. This might shock you but I actually go to 1-2 PL league games a season as it is nearby and also Premiership rugby. Not too often as it is not worth the expense IMO.

Personally I find adults wearing football jerseys while out and about a bit sad and pathetic. It looks even more pathetic when you see lads back in Cork or Dublin or the back arse of Kerry getting all hot and bothered about Chelsea while sitting there in a Chelsea jersey. The older the lad the sadder it is and throw in the old beer gut to go with it: I'm thinking "Grow the hell up you sad bastard."

Follow whatever team you want but do you really need to live in a scummy synthetic football top? But ultimately each to their own.

There was me thinking it was the foreign or soccer aspect that you didn’t like. Good to know that it’s actually the fabric you don’t like. Each to their own indeed ;)

April Fools day is the most annoying day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

He seems like a nice bloke and very likeable but I just don't rate Brendan Gleeson as a great actor, he's very average and has no range. I haven't seen the Trump thing in fairness but maybe that was a different kind of role for him. He went to my school and is from the road next to where I grew up but I just never got the fuss and I think of him as your typical community theatre type actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Humans are more important than animals. Sure, we're more damaging to the planet than animals but in terms of human society we're more important. And saying animal "intelligence" or "emotion" is is on a par with that displayed by humand is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Antares35 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion is whenever there's a news item about someone gone missing and they say the person is "known to frequent" a certain area, I just assume that they haven't been abducted, have most likely run away and will probably return.

Usually if it's a teen who stormed out of the house in a strop they'll come home when they get hungry or run out of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

many women who find themselves cheated on simply did not bother to remain in reasonable shape

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Many women who find themselves cheated on picked an Arsehole to date/marry

Advertisement