Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This is a normal thing among black communities, the barber shops where I lived in Brixton were like pubs really, on Friday nights they'd all be drinking while getting their hair cuts. Looked like great craic.

its more an american thing , very common amongst old italian americans in New York and New Jersey too

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

What if your hair grows at a different rate to your friends?

What about bald friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

What if your hair grows at a different rate to your friends?

We tend to do it every 3 weeks so it suits everyone.
    What about bald friends?

We ostracise them. No one wants a baldy hanging about :P

Quazzie wrote: »
    We ostracise them. No one wants a baldy hanging about :P

I remember one time seeing this in crumlin hospiteal

the lord only made so many perfect heads he covered rest of em with hair!

Thats what im going with anyway :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I don't really care how many billions Jeff Bezos has been allowed to accumulate. He seems like a complete tosser, but if he is paying his federal income taxes at whatever rate the President who the American people elected set those rates at, I don't really see the issue. He treats his staff like shiet, but as somebody who has never contributed to Jeff's wealth I see it as being between he and them to work out. Gutting his bank account and handing out x hundred per inhabitant of a few dozen African countries is fantasy economics that would only cause inflation to match the inhabitants new found wealth. Handing out this wealth to the governments of these countries for infrastructure would just be mishandled like it always has been. It's pie in the sky economics.

Same for Michael O'Leary. Should the super super rich be liable to heavier than 41% tax here? Possibly, but not 90% or whatever layabouts like Paul Murphy would suggest.

While some billionaires were handed their start up money and contacts etc etc O'Leary and plenty of other ones are where they are because their left toenail has put in a harder days work than your average PBP voter will do in a decade.

I don't envy the wealthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

I don't really care how many billions Jeff Bezos has been allowed to accumulate. He seems like a complete tosser, but if he is paying his federal income taxes at whatever rate the President who the American people elected set those rates at, I don't really see the issue. He treats his staff like shiet, but as somebody who has never contributed to Jeff's wealth I see it as being between he and them to work out.

He's a winner in the rigged market - benefiting from tax breaks, subsidies, political favours etc. More recently his bricks and mortar retail competitors have been barred from trading on spurious 'health' grounds or burnt out by BLM mobs while the police hang back and do nothing.

There are antitrust issues as Amazon is now one of the biggest companies in history.

Yes the staff have to stick up for themselves, for their dignity and to arrest the dwindling of their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What if everyone refused to work for Amazon?

That would show them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Most of the time, when you hear about awful cruelty towards horses and ponies, you can be pretty sure where it took place. When I see an article reporting that yet another horse has been whipped/ worked to death etc. I guess which part of Dublin it was, and nine times out of ten I am right. Usually the tenth one would be a sulky race in a different part of the country.

Are you black?

Nope. 100% Irish all three of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Jack Nicholson's Joker is more memorable than Heath Ledger's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Nope. 100% Irish all three of us.

There are black Irish people you know.

I know that, but we were clearly discussing ethnicity here, not nationality.

I actually had that reply typed up earlier then just didn't want to get into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Jack Nicholson's Joker is more memorable than Heath Ledger's.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Antares35 wrote: »
    Most of the time, when you hear about awful cruelty towards horses and ponies, you can be pretty sure where it took place. When I see an article reporting that yet another horse has been whipped/ worked to death etc. I guess which part of Dublin it was, and nine times out of ten I am right. Usually the tenth one would be a sulky race in a different part of the country.

Well to be fair it's the whole racing industry. Especially greyhound racing.

I know that, but we were clearly discussing ethnicity here, not nationality.

Well no, that was not clear at all.

Oh I see, ethnic Irish people can only be white and that is clearly what you meant.

Well no, that was not clear at all.

Oh I see, ethnic Irish people can only be white.

I think I'm right about that. although I'm certainly open to correction, but I would've thought that the Celtic people were all Caucasian.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well to be fair it's the whole racing industry. Especially greyhound racing.

There's nothing fair about any of it. I've rescued ex racers myself.

I think I'm right about that. although I'm certainly open to correction, but I would've thought that the Celtic people were all Caucasian.

TBH I am only teasing. Sure you know the way some posters like to seize on any chance to get outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

The Adrian Kennedy era FM104 Phoneshow was one of the best Irish radio shows of the last 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mary?

Mary?

Connors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I’ve watched about 6 episodes in total and am utterly bewildered by the phenomenal popularity of Line of Duty.

I tuned into it expecting a tight police procedural drama. What I got was the most ridiculously unbelievable and far fetched show with thrown together plots and uninteresting characters.

But it’s wildly popular for a reason I guess but I find it’s success inexplicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

i reckon we will look back in years to come and accept that the very old should just have been let die from Covid

the rest of the population have paid far too high of a price in order to keep eighty year olds living a few more years

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    i reckon we will look back in years to come and accept that the very old should just have been let die from Covid

I can assure you I won't rank among them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

In Brixton! Ever been there? Ever walked down the street at night?? Lots of Irish there too. Lots of drugs. Lots of prostitution. Lots of different races engaged in it. I'm not referring to any stupid stereotypes about race. Piss off.

Yup. Used to go there twice/three times a week every week for 2 years straight. Up until recently, until I moved back to Ireland. Partied there, went for food there, watched the world cup there etc.

Never had anything offered to me, never saw prostitution just out and about on the streets. Never saw open drugs use, except for weed but that is synonymous with the area.

Brixton not without its problems does not have the in your face drugs/prostitution that you're making out are there for all to see. When were you there last?

The fact of the matter is Brixton like a lot of areas of London is out of the doldrums and becoming gentrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Yup. Used to go there twice/three times a week every week for 2 years straight. Up until recently, until I moved back to Ireland. Partied there, went for food there, watched the world cup there etc.

Never had anything offered to me, never saw prostitution just out and about on the streets. Never saw open drugs use, except for weed but that is synonymous with the area.

Brixton not without its problems does not have the in your face drugs/prostitution that you're making out are there for all to see. When were you there last?

The fact of the matter is Brixton like a lot of areas of London is out of the doldrums and becoming gentrified.
    It would have been the 90s when I frequented the area and it was very very dodgy. Glad it’s improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I believe Ireland has a strong victimhood mentality and as a result people don't tend to take personal responsibility for things. I think that's part of the reason for the compo culture we have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Antares35 wrote: »

Not an unpopular opinion.

Advertisement