Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,211 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

A good one third of retailers do not allow you an easy glance of the card reader screen. Anybody happy to tap and go under such circumstances deserves to be robbed.

Is this based on a proper study or your personal experience?
    Where, pray tell, are these rock bottom online stores? Because any time I have looked, ASOS, Zalondo and Amazon have been far, far more expensive than bricks and mortar. The only online seller selling rock bottom cost clothes is mandmdirect, but that is primarily because they sell brands that for whatever reason are seldom stocked by high street stores, such as Umbro.

Last winter I saw a Jack Jones jacket I really liked in the upstairs of Sports Direct in town, only unfortunately not in my size. Tried getting it online, every online outlet was selling it for 180 to 300, compared to the 70 quid it y cost in Sports Direct. I held off. Lo and behold, next time I was in the jacket was back in stock in my size.

When you say sports direct?
    Do you mean the section where it's a bit like TK Maxx.
    That stuff is cheap because they've got it from other retailers because it's last seasons stock, didn't sell, slightly damaged, etc.
    M&M Direct is packed with loads of Jack and Jones old stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Is this based on a proper study or your personal experience?

When you say sports direct?
    Do you mean the section where it's a bit like TK Maxx.

The upstairs off O'Connell St that sells the higher end brands. I'm not mad on Jack Jones shirts but they do good jackets.

I wouldn't go to TK Maxx if you paid me, unless I was trying to find gear for a fancy dress party to go as Del Boy. They're even more expensive than online, and seem to only stock stuff that wasn't fashionable 30 years ago never mind now. Baffling how they are making money.

I generally would carry 200 quid on me if I'm out and about shopping. The odd time I have seen something I fancied and been short of cash in pocket, and had to resort to chip and pin. I feel like an absolute bellend doing it, being quite honest. Buying nice stuff doesn't feel the same if you're not using a wad of notes frankly.

I hate getting stuck behind people like you. It happens every Tet (lunar new year) in Vietnam where going out to buy all the stuff for it is the highlight of the year.. The time for ould ones to show off in the local shop how much money they have. I've stood behind people for fifteen minutes slowly and loudly counting out their money making a song and dance about adding another bottle of alcohol and recounting everything.

I hate getting stuck behind people like you. It happens every Tet (lunar new year) in Vietnam where going out to buy all the stuff for it is the highlight of the year.. The time for ould ones to show off in the local shop how much money they have. I've stood behind people for fifteen minutes slowly and loudly counting out their money making a song and dance about adding another bottle of alcohol and recounting everything.

I hate getting stuck behind some clown who, because you have to re enter the pin after every 100 euro or whatever, is doing chip and pin to pay for a 1.10 can of coke.

I hate getting stuck behind some eejit who has to make five attempts to pay using Apple Pay or some other half baked app.

I hate getting stuck behind some clown who, because you have to re enter the pin after every 100 euro or whatever, is doing chip and pin to pay for a 1.10 can of coke.

I hate getting stuck behind some eejit who has to make five attempts to pay using Apple Pay or some other half baked app.

So do I. I get paid in cash and almost exclusively use cash. But I have no feeling regarding using it and think that someone who loves it and feels like a bellend using electronic forms of payment is likely to be that one whipping out a wad of cash before licking their fingers and pulling out a single fiver for their pack of Durex Close Fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

I hate getting stuck behind some eejit who spends ages trying to find all of his change in his pockets or who uses a 50 to buy a can of coke.

And if you’re so concerned about these retailers who take your card behind the counter(which I’ve never seen btw) then get a Revolut card, will send a notification to your phone immediately after approval to tell you how much you have been charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Where, pray tell, are these rock bottom online stores? Because any time I have looked, ASOS, Zalondo and Amazon have been far, far more expensive than bricks and mortar.

As an example HMV went out of business because anytime someone picked up an item in store and checked the price online it was always cheaper online. If you go into a store that sells footware, DVD's, games, household items, books, electronics or jewelery and then check the online price you'll see its cheaper online 95% of the time. Clothes is actually something I prefer to buy in stores as I like trying things on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭maik3n

New unpopular opinion
    Can we move on from this cash or card debate. :p

It can continue here if one prefers
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058084660

McFly85 wrote: »
    I hate getting stuck behind some eejit who spends ages trying to find all of his change in his pockets or who uses a 50 to buy a can of coke.

And if you’re so concerned about these retailers who take your card behind the counter(which I’ve never seen btw) then get a Revolut card, will send a notification to your phone immediately after approval to tell you how much you have been charged.

You have never engaged with a retailer that does not allow you look at how much is displayed on the screen?

Come on. The vast majority of chippers and Chinese in particular operate like this (probably because for tax reasons they much prefer cash, and thus you're less likely to ask to use the machine next time if you can't see what you're paying for).
    Greyfox wrote: »
    As an example HMV went out of business because anytime someone picked up an item in store and checked the price online it was always cheaper online.

I'm fairly sure the decline of HMV coincided with the increased popularity of broadband and the proliferation of Pirate Bay more than online sellers. People sharing hard drives with friends didn't help either.
    If you go into a store that sells footware, DVD's, games, household items, books, electronics or jewelery and then check the online price you'll see its cheaper online 95% of the time

Wouldn't buy electronics online if you paid me. Have better things to do than study the ins and outs of returning a faulty TV back to Switzerland for a refund.

Funnily enough I bought a pair of shoes over Christmas for 90 quid in Lifestyle, checked online and yes, appeared to be 60. But you can't tell from the picture whether they're the exact same, what material they are made of, whether the lettering looks cheap like some of them do.

Plus, the danger they will be thrown over the side gate 4 houses down, as I've discovered packages in my own side alley that were meant for the neighbours.

No. I'm not that hard up for 30 quid to be honest.

McFly85 wrote: »

I've still to see somebody sell me the benefits of Revolout.

So a mate who owes you money can transfer you 50 quid. I'd rather a note thanks. I'll have loaned you a note so that's what I'm owed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So a mate who owes you money can transfer you 50 quid. I'd rather a note thanks. I'll have loaned you a note so that's what I'm owed.

WTF? Are you being serious, if so why would want a note back if you gave him a note?

dinneenp wrote: »
    WTF? Are you being serious, if so why would want a note back if you gave him a note?

If I lend cash I would prefer cash, not a bank transfer. Unless it's a few hundred quid.

I've friends that swear by Revolout yet can't name me a truly handy day to day function it provides them. How often do you even owe friends money like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've friends that swear by Revolout yet can't name me a truly handy day to day function it provides them.

Phone is more often than not on you at all times. ATM could be a trek away. It could be out of service when you arrive. It might not have the denomination you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This probably deserves it's own thread, but I don't think doublejobbing_2 would be the type to lend money if they're getting all flustered about shops ripping them off over a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

If I lend cash I would prefer cash, not a bank transfer. Unless it's a few hundred quid.

I've friends that swear by Revolout yet can't name me a truly handy day to day function it provides them. How often do you even owe friends money like.

What if you're getting paid back 1 month later & already have cash on you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Me and me mates, meet up regularly for haircuts. It's a bit of a tradition. When we get them done, one of us will pay the bill via Revolut, and then we have the option of splitting the bill between the 3 of us. 1 transaction and then we pay our portion of the bill. All it takes is a tap, and 5 seconds on the app and we're out of the barber's hair (pardon the pun).

That's just one example where the "split bill" function is extremely handy.

Another benefit is that when I spend €18.74 in a shop, €19.00 comes off my revolut. €18.74 to the shop, and €0.26 to a vault. Means I don't have to ever handle coins and with every transaction I'm saving a little every time.

It’s a card that tracks your payments and shows you where you spend your money.

The app itself gives you full control over tap, PIN and swipe payments.

What else would you like it to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Quazzie wrote: »
    Me and me mates, meet up regularly for haircuts. It's a bit of a tradition. When we get them done, one of us will pay the bill via Revolut, and then we have the option of splitting the bill between the 3 of us. 1 transaction and then we pay our portion of the bill. All it takes is a tap, and 5 seconds on the app and we're out of the barber's hair (pardon the pun).

That's just one example where the "split bill" function is extremely handy.

Another benefit is that when I spend €18.74 in a shop, €19.00 comes off my revolut. €18.74 to the shop, and €0.26 to a vault. Means I don't have to ever handle coins and with every transaction I'm saving a little every time.

You meet up to have haircuts?

Where and when did it all go wrong in this country?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

The state of these Metrosexuals meeting up for group haircuts.

This country has gone to the dogs.

Probably when people decided that lads meeting up to get haircuts is crazy. Lads have been meeting in the barbers for a catch up with the lads for donkeys years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,785 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Astral Weeks is sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Astral Weeks is sh*te

Sh*te is a bit strong but i dont see it as a masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Van the Man jumped the shark years ago but not sure if that can be applied retroactively

Beyond cool in the Last Waltz

Astral Weeks is sh*te

Agreed, anyone who says otherwise should name a song off of it without looking it up and then look up on setlist.fm when he last played a song off of it here. I'll save the trouble 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Astral Weeks is sh*te

Madame George is magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,834 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

There's three of us childhood friends who have moved to different parts and have busy lives so it's a chance for the three of us to meet up and get together for a chat, where normally we wouldn't have the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Meeting for haircuts is a great shout I’d say, f*ck the haters. It’s something you need anyway so why not make an occasion of it. Having a small tradition like that is class. It’s pretty much free time with the lads. Some of the people slagging you probably spend their day in the bookies with people they’ve never expressed one meaningful word with and don’t even know their full names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Sh*te is a bit strong but i dont see it as a masterpiece

Not his best album although there are a few very good songs on it. In terms of his best I'd say either Tupelo Honey or Veedon Fleece

Sweetest Thing is a great song, but the rest of it just grates on me, I tried to like it so much

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Meeting for haircuts is a great shout I’d say, f*ck the haters. It’s something you need anyway so why not make an occasion of it. Having a small tradition like that is class. It’s pretty much free time with the lads. Some of the people slagging you probably spend their day in the bookies with people they’ve never expressed one meaningful word with and don’t even know their full names.

This is a normal thing among black communities, the barber shops where I lived in Brixton were like pubs really, on Friday nights they'd all be drinking while getting their hair cuts. Looked like great craic.

Advertisement