Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pi Patel

Life (lockdown apart) has never been better in this world in terms of improved health, improving education, decreasing discrimination, poverty and wars and the media and social media paints an excessively negative view on the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,107 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pi Patel wrote: »
    Life (lockdown apart) has never been better in this world in terms of improved health, improving education, decreasing discrimination, poverty and wars and the media and social media paints an excessively negative view on the world.

100% right but of course its more negative points that are usually portrayed in the media. Bad news sells.

Same way we have many many begrudgers who think Ireland is a terrible place to live and nearly every country in the world is better than it, despite Ireland regularly coming very high in the polls of best countries to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it's easier to take somebody seriously and take in what they are saying if they are attractive.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Shane Driscoll

far too many people in this country think that racism really isn't all that bad.

It's just part of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It's just part of life.

thanks for proving my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

and they are quite prepared to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the rampant rumours of indiscretion by said players.

Mainly because they have too much to lose out on imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

On a related point, my unpopular opinion here is that most Irish people are indifferent to causes like BLM.

They aren’t actively prejudiced or racist. They simply don’t care very much. Most people don’t live in places like Balbriggan or Ongar, meaning it doesn’t impinge on their lives or the lives of their families and friends in any material way, meaning it’s of little consequence to them.

Might be a little deflating for those who are determined to see burning crosses and white hoods around every corner..

Hamachi wrote: »
    On a related point, my unpopular opinion here is that most Irish people are indifferent to causes like BLM.

They aren’t actively prejudiced or racist. They simply don’t care very much. Most people don’t live in places like Balbriggan or Ongar, meaning it doesn’t impinge on their lives or the lives of their families and friends in any material way, meaning it’s of little consequence to them.

Might be a little deflating for those who are determined to see burning crosses and white hoods around every corner..

thanks for proving my point again with an added dose of ignorance.

thanks for proving my point again with an added dose of ignorance.

I’m delighted you feel validated. Have a great day battling that far right bogeyman, who exists solely in your head.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will get on with work and interpersonal relationships, without fretting about BLM or the ubiquitous racists hiding under the bed.

I’m delighted you feel validated. Have a great day battling that far right bogeyman, who exists solely in your head.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will get on with work and interpersonal relationships, without fretting about BLM or the ubiquitous racists hiding under the bed.

you mentioned BLM not me. and they're not hiding under the bed. They are being prosecuted in court and let off with a slap on the wrist.

• Advertisement

you mentioned BLM not me. and they're not hiding under the bed. They are being prosecuted in court and let off with a slap on the wrist.

It must be exhausting fretting about something that’s of little consequence to most people.

Go outside and smell the roses.

It must be exhausting fretting about something that’s of little consequence to most people.

Go outside and smell the roses.

run along now.

run along now.

I'm being serious and looking out for your welfare here.

You're the poor craytur with nearly 28K posts on here. It's understandable that your Weltanschauung is all distorted given the amount of time you spend online.

Seriously, put down the phone and go outside for a run, within the 5km limit of course. It would truly do you the world of good. The scales might fall from your little peepers and you might perceive that most people are living their lives, not harboring malevolent intent against minorities.

I'm being serious and looking out for your welfare here.

You're the poor craytur with nearly 28K posts on here. It's understandable that your Weltanschauung is all distorted given the amount of time you spend online.

Seriously, put down the phone and go outside for a run, within the 5km limit of course. It would truly do you the world of good. The scales might fall from your little peepers and you might perceive that most people are living their lives, not harboring malevolent intent against minorities.

thank you for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Skyfloater

I think it's easier to take somebody seriously and take in what they are saying if they are attractive.

The Halo effect. Ivanka Trump among others have built careers on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ryan Tubridy, on both his radio show and ‘The Late Late Show’, should be commended for providing a national service by keeping all the cranks, weirdos, oddballs, loons, malcontents and covidiots suitably “riled up” and, obsessively, focused on constantly moaning about him, and RTÉ in general, online so that it keeps them off the streets.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Ryan Tubridy, on both his radio show and ‘The Late Late Show’, should be commended for providing a national service by keeping all the cranks, weirdos, oddballs, loons, malcontents and covidiots suitably “riled up” and, obsessively, focused on constantly moaning about him, and RTÉ in general, online so that it keeps them off the streets.

Not a lot of spice in spiceland?

Racism is part of being human. It probably kept us safe during stone age times.

There are people who hate me for being white, for being Irish. Whatever, I don't lose sleep over it.

100% this.

I am supposed to care about inner city blacks in America? Why? Is that callous? Well maybe but I don't care about poor oppressed people in Brazil either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

An upgrade on 2005 Roy Keane? Maybe.

Carrick was a wonderful player. If he were Spanish he'd be spoken about in the same tones as Xavi or Iniesta.

Roy was obviously brilliant but he never hit the heights Carrick hit. With Carrick fit, United literally dominated Europe (outside of PED Guardiola's supercharged Barca team)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The LLS is just a merry go round of misery, of telling people how to behave, and telling Irish people that they are bunch of racists.

I bet any money we least get 2 of these tonight. Rinse and repeat every week.

He is on half a million,while nurses and doctors struggle day in day out. Makes me sick. I’m glad to see people who work in healthcare call out his bluff lately. Pity it’s not more publicised.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hi Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I agree dude. He should be commended.

Perhaps many moan about him because he is Cis Whyte Male?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Carrick was a wonderful player. If he were Spanish he'd be spoken about in the same tones as Xavi or Iniesta.

Roy was obviously brilliant but he never hit the heights Carrick hit. With Carrick fit, United literally dominated Europe (outside of PED Guardiola's supercharged Barca team)

How can you "literally" dominate Europe outside of Barca. That literally makes no sense. They dominated Europe or they did not. They were a distant second behind Baracelona.

They got to 3 finals which of course is great. A pretty dire 2008 final and then 2 against Barca. Now to the fair that Barca team does rank as one of the greatest ever.

ManU were absolutely taken to school by Barca in both the 2009 and especially the 2011 final. Their asses were washed, folded and handed back to them on a plate, In fact I was asked for a prediction by my ManU buddy before the 2011 final (I am neutral) and I said that it could get embarrassing for ManU. Strangely they didnt see it that way.

Carrick was solid and consistent player and I saw him in the fleah a good few times but I wouldnt be writing home about him personally. He is not spoken about in the same terms as Xavi and Iniseta for a reason....he ain't even on the same planet let along playing the same sport. Even England were not that bothered with him. Ok, maybe I am being harsh.

Remember the Roy Keane ManU started from a far lower place in European football than Carrick's ManU. That's why Keane will be held in higher regard (no disrespect to Carrick, as I said a solid performer and all round good professional).

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I'd still take a prime Roy Keane over him, but Carrick was great. Nobody underrated him more than the England national team managers. His cap total is criminally low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭randd1

I'd still take a prime Roy Keane over him, but Carrick was great. Nobody underrated him more than the England national team managers. His cap total is criminally low.

The other choice would have been to drop either Lampard or Gerrard, and Fleet Street and the FA wouldn't stand for that.

thank you for concern.

You’re welcome. Always happy to help a brotha’

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

The garda dance is shìt, not because they're guards or wasted tax money blaady blah, its shìt because it's so fcukin cringy no matter who does it, harmless fun in fairness but embarrassing stuff all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The LLS is just a merry go round of misery, of telling people how to behave, and telling Irish people that they are bunch of racists.

I bet any money we least get 2 of these tonight. Rinse and repeat every week.

He is on half a million,while nurses and doctors struggle day in day out. Makes me sick. I’m glad to see people who work in healthcare call out his bluff lately. Pity it’s not more publicised.

Pretty much all Irish media outlets not just LLS.

Unpopular opinion: Irish people have to be constantly told how to behave at this time because some are quite stupid.

If you peruse any Facebook comments section you'll get some grasp of the sheer density out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Ronan o Gara is a bit of a dose

Advertisement