Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I find it hard to take when 15 and 16 year olds go “missing” and show back up again a minuscule amount of time later and it’s considered bad taste to ask where they were. “That doesn’t matter, they’re safe and that’s all that matters”. Well ultimately it is all that matters but I’m convinced some of them just do it without giving a rats and do it for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Omackeral wrote: »
    I find it hard to take when 15 and 16 year olds go “missing” and show back up again a minuscule amount of time later and it’s considered bad taste to ask where they were. “That doesn’t matter, they’re safe and that’s all that matters”. Well ultimately it is all that matters but I’m convinced some of them just do it without giving a rats and do it for the craic.

They waste heaps of police time whether it's a "go missing" game or playing at running away after an argument, coming back for dinner two days later.

We would have got a kick up the hole from parents for dragging guards into it and an earful from the guards themselves, they get cuddles, kisses and their favourite meal.

They waste heaps of police time whether it's a "go missing" game or playing at running away after an argument, coming back for dinner two days later.

We would have got a kick up the hole from parents for dragging guards into it and an earful from the guards themselves, they get cuddles, kisses and their favourite meal.

Call me cynical but the parents nearly always seem to be cut from the same mould too. It's like they love all the facebook huns sharing and praying for their angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

^^^are yea alright folks, is lockdown getting to you? You seem a bit judgemental there!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Any teen that I've known of to go missing has generally being in a foster home and they seem to do it a lot and they seem to have lots of issues.

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ^^^are yea alright folks, is lockdown getting to you? You seem a bit judgemental there!

It's an unpopular opinion, you're not expected to agree with it.

It's just a very specific thing to have an opinion about at all.

Omackeral wrote:

I clearly don't, and being judgemental is a bit of a problem, it's rather ignorant

Call me cynical but the parents nearly always seem to be cut from the same mould too. It's like they love all the facebook huns sharing and praying for their angles.

there used be a social media game pre-covid,where they would see,who could stay missing the longest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.joe.ie/amp/tech/facebook-challenge-missing-child-604579

I clearly don't, and being judgemental is a bit of a problem, it's rather ignorant

Good for you. Any unpopular opinions you'd care to share yourself? Everyone is judgemental to a degree.

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote:
    Good for you. Any unpopular opinions you'd care to share yourself? Everyone is judgemental to a degree.

I try not to judge, as we generally have little information to judge others on, but I will agree, we do all judge. Can't think of any right now, but I'm sure I do

• Registered Users Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Brioche is shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I try not to judge, as we generally have little information to judge others on, but I will agree, we do all judge. Can't think of any right now, but I'm sure I do

You just judged a poster to be "ignorant".

You just judged a poster to be "ignorant".

there you go, thank you, im still asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭Hamachi

University / third-level eduction is a waste of time for a high % of students.

It’s valuable if you are studying for a career-oriented, vocational degree like medicine, engineering or computer science.

Many other courses are useless and actually destroy the work ethic of young people.

Hamachi wrote: »

It’s valuable if you are studying for a career-oriented, vocational degree like medicine, engineering or computer science.

Many other courses are useless and actually destroy the work ethic of young people.

who gets to decide whats valuable and whats not?

how so?

who gets to decide whats valuable and whats not?

how so?

From my own personal experience, knew too many people who floated around for four years, without really achieving anything.

I’m late 30s now and have quite a few peers who have never really managed to establish a solid career. They’ve drifted from job to job, without ever finding a sustainable interest.

These are all relatively smart people. The common denominator is that this lack of focus can be traced back to studying undemanding, worthless degrees that unwittingly encouraged laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

This whole Garda dance thing got me thinking.

Losing the height restrictions for the Gardai was such a misstep. OK, I’ll agree there have surely been fantastic people who have entered since this change but when it comes to Gardai on the beat some (particularly female) are dainty AF and are a total liability.

From my own personal experience, knew too many people who floated around for four years, without really achieving anything.

I’m late 30s now and have quite a few peers who have never really managed to establish a solid career. They’ve drifted from job to job, without ever finding a sustainable interest.

These are all relatively smart people. The common denominator is that this lack of focus can be traced back to studying undemanding, worthless degrees that unwittingly encouraged laziness.

who determines this, you, and what kind of degrees are worthful and worthless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

who determines this, you, and what kind of degrees are worthful and worthless?

Its usually an engineering graduate who makes these statements.

There is a world of difference between education & job training.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »

fair point, im one of those myself

KaneToad wrote: »

That’s my point. A lot of universities market particular degrees as an ‘education’.

Whilst the content may be interesting, they are better suited to well established, mature students who are looking to round out their knowledge and world view.

They aren’t fit for purpose for 18-22 year olds who, whether they like it or not, need to deal with the realities of entering the labor force and taking on adult responsibilities. It’s disingenuous of the third level sector to even imply that some degrees will ever lead to a viable career.

That’s my point. A lot of universities market particular degrees as an ‘education’.

Whilst the content may be interesting, they are better suited to well established, mature students who are looking to round out their knowledge and world view.

They aren’t fit for purpose for 18-22 year olds who, whether they like it or not, need to deal with the realities of entering the labor force and taking on adult responsibilities. It’s disingenuous of the third level sector to even imply that some degrees will ever lead to a viable career.

its the nature of the beast, our educational system has become extremely dysfunctional, many aspects of it truly dont meet our actual needs, drop out rates are relatively high at the early stages of third level, most probably remember very little of the details from their education, as its primarily based on the rote system, most probably arent truly ready for the workforce upon leaving it, its academically biased, but society actually needs alternatively trained people such as trades etc, but we also need academically trained people just as much................. its a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I've a cousin who has spent the majority of his adult life in third level "education" - the kind of courses that are like eight hours a week. Saving the world from itself and crusading against gender stereotyping and god knows what else. He's in his thirties now and still has never had a full time job where he is expected to pay contributions like the rest of us. He will still expect to be able to "retire" the same age as everyone else! :D

Antares35 wrote: »
    I've a cousin who has spent the majority of his adult life in third level "education" - the kind of courses that are like eight hours a week. Saving the world from itself and crusading against gender stereotyping and god knows what else. He's in his thirties now and still has never had a full time job where he is expected to pay contributions like the rest of us. He will still expect to be able to "retire" the same age as everyone else! :D

....so ridiculing him on the internets, solves the 'issue' by?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

100% agree. The idea of having everyone university educated sounds great on paper but then you realise that a degree is the new junior cert. You also have a derth of plumbers, carpenters etc - getting a tradesman sometimes is neigh on impossible while you have people with psychology degrees working in starbucks. We need a massive injection of money and effort into the way we do apprenticeships. I'd say maybe 20% of the people in Irish universities really need to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Just an anecdote here, I graduated with a third class honours physics degree a few years ago. I felt too stupid to really grasp the course material and I was eventually spat out the other side with the bare minimum passing grades through rote learning.

Leaving school I genuinely thought a physics degree would unlock a wide variety of jobs but I’ve been stuck in a couple low paying financial service roles since, and I can’t seem to branch out, when searching for jobs I’m not even sure what to look for as I’ve no specific career path in mind.

As others have pointed out, my course has a very high drop out rate, and I also don’t think that going into a 4 year degree aged 18 was the right decision at the time.

Not sure if this is a criticism of me or on the third level education system. :)

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Just an anecdote here, I graduated with a third class honours physics degree a few years ago. I felt too stupid to really grasp the course material and I was eventually spat out the other side with the bare minimum passing grades through rote learning.

Leaving school I genuinely thought a physics degree would unlock a wide variety of jobs but I’ve been stuck in a couple low paying financial service roles since, and I can’t seem to branch out, when searching for jobs I’m not even sure what to look for as I’ve no specific career path in mind.

As others have pointed out, my course has a very high drop out rate, and I also don’t think that going into a 4 year degree aged 18 was the right decision at the time.

Not sure if this is a criticism of me or on the third level education system. :)

it most definitely isnt you, i attempted physics for a couple of years at third level, fcuk that, couldnt even make it to degree level! fair fcuks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

....so ridiculing him on the internets, solves the 'issue' by?

Oh are we only meant to post solutions to problems here? Sorry I thought it was the unpopular opinion thread.

• Advertisement

Antares35 wrote: »
    Oh are we only meant to post solutions to problems here? Sorry I thought it was the unpopular opinion thread.

true, but is this truly 'a problem'?

Advertisement