Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

130USD for 821. Mainly want the CAT12 radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone buy a Oneplus phone from Honorbuy before?

Just purchased the 7 from them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,313 ✭✭✭xtal191

dunleas wrote: »
    Just purchased the 7 from them

I'm just onto Oneplus now to see about warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ED E wrote: »
    130USD for 821. Mainly want the CAT12 radio.
    The Google Pixel is around that price. - Pixel or Pixel XL

But may hit customs.

Google Pixel 2 is about €30 more I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Guys what a good budget phone for in around €200 for a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Redmi note 8?

Redmi Note 8. Probably available for €150 - €200 while sales are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jpos

Hi guys,
    My Redmi Note 5 is starting to fail. TBF it has been faultless and has put up with some abuse.
    Would the Note 9 be much ahead of the Note 8 Pro? Should I just wait for the 9 pro version?

Last one was off geekbuying. Are they still a good bet?
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

xtal191 wrote: »
    I'm just onto Oneplus now to see about warranty

I'd be interested in knowing oneplus's answer to this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Suckit wrote: »
    The Google Pixel is around that price. - Pixel or Pixel XL

But may hit customs.

Google Pixel 2 is about €30 more I think.

Pulled the trigger before seeing your post, damn that would probably have been a good buy. CAT11 radio is plenty, has 3CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Paullimerick

How's the going all. Ye all might be able to help me out. Looking for 2 phones. For Xmas. Now one is the iPhone 7 or 7plus for a young fella who just loves iPhones. The second just a good phone that has big memory for loads of games. If ye could help me in finding them it would be great. Or direct me in the right direction. Thanks

How's the going all. Ye all might be able to help me out. Looking for 2 phones. For Xmas. Now one is the iPhone 7 or 7plus for a young fella who just loves iPhones. The second just a good phone that has big memory for loads of games. If ye could help me in finding them it would be great. Or direct me in the right direction. Thanks

What type of games?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hey all,

So this is more of a general question to be honest but I don't think it's worthy of a new thread either.

Basically I'm wondering how trustworthy and secure people are considering these Chinese roms and devices? I picked up a Xiaomi Mi Pad 4 from adverts during the week and - after a bit of time getting Google Play onto it - am finding it a great little tablet, perfect for the primary purpose I wanted.. Web and ebooks.

But as I use it more, I miss things from my main phone (Note 9). Adverts, Amazon, Banking apps etc that I've held off on installing so far - although it has my Google accounts and email on it so I've already been blurring the lines insofar as my concerns.

A bit of reading on XDA suggests these can be unlocked (after a while.. My Chinese is non existent :)) and reflashed, but then you're trusting a random dev instead. The other main driver for reflashing it was to get rid of the MIUI launcher as well, but I've solved this by reinstalling Nova.

So, am I worrying about nothing, or are ye similarly a bit cautious with the financial stuff?

When it comes to who to trust, it's a bit of a rabbit hole.
    It could do with it's own thread tbh.

I usually get a custom rom and work from there. As much foss apps as possible and as secure as is possible for each device.
    I personally prefer AEX and LineageOS but I am watching others too.

If there is no custom rom yet available, then root the device.
    Install F-Droid, Adaway, Teminal Debloater, AFWall+, Bromite, (maybe Bromite System Webview) to begin.
    If I need updates on apps like Revolut or N26 for example that may require updates, I download and install Aurora or Yalp via the F-Droid Market. They are both Google Play Store Clients and allow anonymous login if preferred. I use Aurora mainly.
    Then I go about removing all the stuff I don't want and blocking internet access to others. You can do a fairly basic setup or a more complex one keeping your device and info as secure as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Folks

Budget of around €250. Currently have an S6 that I inherited.

Have had Xiaomi in the past and liked them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

BullBauld wrote: »
    Folks

Budget of around €250. Currently have an S6 that I inherited.

Have had Xiaomi in the past and liked them.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Redmi Note 8 or 8 pro

Plenty good phones for that money on honorbuy ATM with the sales on.

Realme (Oppo, OnePlus) making a lot of noise this year too, took a few Xiaomi phone customers.
    Realme X2, Realme 5 Pro, Realme 3 Pro would all be less than €250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Realme (Oppo, OnePlus) making a lot of noise this year too, took a few Xiaomi phone customers.
    Took me I was a loyal Xiaomi customer,but they brought out nothing great this year. so went with OnePlus 7t cracking phone for the money.once bought in China not Europe

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just had a look at the realme x2 pro...

That's a hell of a phone for that money

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Just had a look at the realme x2 pro...

That's a hell of a phone for that money

Yeah, they have a few good ones, but not all of their range is priced as well as Xiaomi, and it's all supposed to be top hardware.
    I ordered this (will get hit for tax)
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000364688761.html with code N0VEMBERSAVINGS for €161
    There are a load of sales on at the minute, they are really pushing for Christmas.
    This might have been a better option with tariff insurance.
    REALME 5 Pro EU Version €180 with code BGRM5P4

There are loads more on sale X2, X2 Pro, 3, 3 pro etc.

Thanks.

Really like the Realme 5 Pro. Can get it on amazon.es for 199. Best price from Europe I think.
    Close to pulling the trigger.

BullBauld wrote: »
    Thanks.

Really like the Realme 5 Pro. Can get it on amazon.es for 199. Best price from Europe I think.
    Close to pulling the trigger.

Down to €179 today for anyone interested. Great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Might be ordering through Amazon.es. Has anybody ordered on there and did you need to use Parcel Wizard/Motel ?

GBX wrote: »
    Might be ordering through Amazon.es. Has anybody ordered on there and did you need to use Parcel Wizard/Motel ?

I just ordered direct to my home address for €8 delivery.
    No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

GBX wrote: »

I use the European Amazon sites regularly some good value to be had compared to UK
    Just log in with your account details, delivery is direct, only slight downside there is no free shipping

Thanks folks. Yea some difference - €40~ on some Xiaomi phones. So dont mind too much on the delivery cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

NATLOR wrote: »
    I use the European Amazon sites regularly some good value to be had compared to UK
    Just log in with your account details, delivery is direct, only slight downside there is no free shipping

Hagglezon is a good site for comparing across all of the Amazon sites simultaneously. A good app also.

My Realme arrived in Ireland today. So now... The best/worst part of ordering from China...
    Does it get held, or will it slip through :D
    I'll know later today or tomorrow no doubt.
    (The amazon Spain option wasn't available when I ordered, I had checked - Now wishing I had waited.)

• Advertisement

Looking at a phone for my dad. Was consider the Redmi 8, can be got for €135 on Amazon Spain. To me looks half decent for his use:
    Xiaomi Redmi 8 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM Phone, 6.22 ”Dot Drop Screen, Snapdragon 439 Octa-Core Processor, 8MP Dual Front Camera and 12MP + 2MP Dual AI Rear Camera (Blue)

I just got a mail with a coupon code for the Redmi Note 8 for €138 from Gearbest. Obviously to take into account delays with black Friday, custom fees etc. Just wondering what they are like ordering phones from devices these days?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009628140754.html?cid=e5c55f40-11c0-11ea-beeb-0670141e6114&wid=1349303&lkid=12607150

Coupon code: GBNOTE801

Advertisement