Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

GBX wrote: »
    Looking at a phone for my dad. Was consider the Redmi 8, can be got for €135 on Amazon Spain. To me looks half decent for his use:
    Xiaomi Redmi 8 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM Phone, 6.22 ”Dot Drop Screen, Snapdragon 439 Octa-Core Processor, 8MP Dual Front Camera and 12MP + 2MP Dual AI Rear Camera (Blue)

I just got a mail with a coupon code for the Redmi Note 8 for €138 from Gearbest. Obviously to take into account delays with black Friday, custom fees etc. Just wondering what they are like ordering phones from devices these days?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009628140754.html?cid=e5c55f40-11c0-11ea-beeb-0670141e6114&wid=1349303&lkid=12607150

Coupon code: GBNOTE801

Seems like a great deal but I'd be concerned about it not arriving in time for Xmas

What's the story with Huawai phones and Google Play not working?
    Was about to but the Vodafone great offer for P30 lite but want to be sure there won't be issues with downloading apps

I've read a few articles but in this thread someone posted
    "I have one and up until recently I would have said it's great: great performance, good screen, expandable storage, headphone jack etc all for a great price.

But I haven't been able to use Google Pay since the last android update as Huawei devices aren't Google Play Protect Certified anymore. Since the Trump ban.

This might not be a problem for some people but it's a put off for me. Thinking of switching to the Pixel 3a"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

dinneenp wrote: »
    Seems like a great deal but I'd be concerned about it not arriving in time for Xmas

Use someone like parcel motel, generally 10 days at most to arrive.An Post can't be trusted this time of year with stuff from China as they tend to just leave it until last to sort. I've a package in Ireland for a week now going by the tracking,it took less than that to get here in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah the xmas delivery is the one thing id hope for.

Any issue with Parcel Motel taking items that may need customs fees paid ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Looking at a phone for my dad. Was consider the Redmi 8, can be got for €135 on Amazon Spain. To me looks half decent for his use:
    Xiaomi Redmi 8 4GB RAM + 64GB ROM Phone, 6.22 ”Dot Drop Screen, Snapdragon 439 Octa-Core Processor, 8MP Dual Front Camera and 12MP + 2MP Dual AI Rear Camera (Blue)

I just got a mail with a coupon code for the Redmi Note 8 for €138 from Gearbest. Obviously to take into account delays with black Friday, custom fees etc. Just wondering what they are like ordering phones from devices these days?

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_009628140754.html?cid=e5c55f40-11c0-11ea-beeb-0670141e6114&wid=1349303&lkid=12607150

Coupon code: GBNOTE801
    Mi A3 could be an option as well, better spec for not much more moneys, although it is smaller.

• Advertisement

I just saw they have this option:
    Expedited Shipping 3-8 business days $7.81

If it was guaranteed to arrive before Xmas I think I'd go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,646 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do these Xiaomi Redmi mobiles work in Ireland. I have moved over to the GoMo network.

billyhead wrote: »
    Do these Xiaomi Redmi mobiles work in Ireland. I have moved over to the GoMo network.

As long as it's global version should work I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭M007

See Doogee phone deals on amazon and on Irish independent online - anyone have experience of them and ok to work with Irish networks??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

billyhead wrote: »

Yes.

Make sure it's a global version of the phone.

Redmi Note 7 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Global Version Smartphone Black

https://www.honorbuy.com/1627-redmi-note-7-4gb-64gb-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

€160 + PP, Black Friday deal. Cracking value and never any issues buying from Honourbuy, I had one until I got a Pixel 3A last week. And was on GoMo network.

They've the Redmi Note 8 Pro for about €200 also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I never had an issue,more than can be said getting stuff to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

shmeee wrote: »
    Yes.

Make sure it's a global version of the phone.

Redmi Note 7 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Global Version Smartphone Black

https://www.honorbuy.com/1627-redmi-note-7-4gb-64gb-official-global-version-smartphone-black.html

€160 + PP, Black Friday deal. Cracking value and never any issues buying from Honourbuy, I had one until I got a Pixel 3A last week. And was on GoMo network.

They've the Redmi Note 8 Pro for about €200 also.

Can you confirm that this phone has 4G, I've watched a review that says it doesn't while the specs have band 20 listed. It would be a nice upgrade to my Redmi Note 4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Can you confirm that this phone has 4G, I've watched a review that says it doesn't while the specs have band 20 listed. It would be a nice upgrade to my Redmi Note 4

This is the global version so has all the 4G bands for Ireland.
    https://www.amazon.es/Redmi-Note-Smartphone-operativo-Resoluci%C3%B3n/dp/B07P6VP569/
    The 128GB version is only €15 more
    https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-MZB7578EU-Redmi-Note-Black/dp/B07PGVWHYZ/
    Or "like new" (often perfect and just open box) for €15 cheaper
    https://www.amazon.es/gp/offer-listing/B07PGVWHYZ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Yes I got 4g on Eir / GoMo Network with the Redmi Note 7 Global Version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Is honorbuy Paypal only?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,216 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Is honorbuy Paypal only?

it appeared so to me recently

The Razer Phone 2 is for sale in the US for $299 (roughly €270)
    https://www.razer.com/mobile/razer-phone-2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Hi there. I ordered a Redmi Note 8 pro, and on the 17 tracking page it says

ATHLONE MAIL CENTRE, CO WESTMEATH, Your item is held by customs in

2019-11-29 11:43
    ATHLONE MAIL CENTRE, CO WESTMEATH, Your item was received by An Post in

Am I 100% doomed to pay something additional? -.-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

lawless11 wrote: »

where did you buy the phone from???.

• Advertisement

massy086 wrote: »
    where did you buy the phone from???.

AliExpress, from a buyer that seemed to have high reviews '-'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

lawless11 wrote: »

If they're saying it's held for customs and an post have it, you'll be paying customs. As well as their admin fee, which is an extra tenner I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Always worth chosing thre Ali sellers who provide customs free DHL delivery

NATLOR wrote: »
    Always worth chosing thre Ali sellers who provide customs free DHL delivery

Didn't realise there were such sellers. *Sigh* Emailed customs to check anyway. It's a present for someone so I do need it rather sooner than later. Too bad if VAT'ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

So, i wanted to order a phone from aliexpress, I know that getting it sent the slow way is best for avoiding customs charges but do DHL always charge customs? I ordered a pair of headphones earlier this year, they were less than €22 but they still emailed me wanting screenshots of my order. The sellers of the phone I want only seem to offer standard shipping or DHL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Toxica wrote: »
    So, i wanted to order a phone from aliexpress, I know that getting it sent the slow way is best for avoiding customs charges but do DHL always charge customs? I ordered a pair of headphones earlier this year, they were less than €22 but they still emailed me wanting screenshots of my order. The sellers of the phone I want only seem to offer standard shipping or DHL.
    what phone is it your looking for . Hong Kong goldway sent to London first via UPS.then dhl to Dublin so no customs as it is only seen coming from UK.i got a OnePlus 7t this way last week no customs issue,s

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

massy086 wrote: »
    what phone is it your looking for . Hong Kong goldway sent to London first via UPS.then dhl to Dublin so no customs as it is only seen coming from UK.i got a OnePlus 7t this way last week no customs issue,s

The phone I want is the Umidigi F2. Looking at other websites to see if they offer more shipping options.

Update on my situation - a letter arrived this morning, so I will be hit by fees. Basically would have been better to just buy it in Europe. Ah well. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Any Realme owners here? Just wondering how folks are finding them. My father in law is working up the courage to finally tackle a smartphone, and I thought a Realme 5 might be just the job.

• Advertisement

corwill wrote: »
    Any Realme owners here? Just wondering how folks are finding them. My father in law is working up the courage to finally tackle a smartphone, and I thought a Realme 5 might be just the job.
    I bought the Realme 5 Pro and brought it away with me at the weekend. Lovely phone, smooth interaction navigating and fast. The camera is decent. ColorOS is nice, I have blocked all updates but I believe RealmeOS is waiting for me to install it. I have installed Gcam on it and so far I can't find any issues with it.

If you are deciding between it and the Redmi 8 Pro, then I think this Realme 5 Pro is the slightly better option.
    However, if you are deciding between the Realme 5 and the Redmi Note 8, than I think the Redmi Note 8 wins slightly between those two.

Advertisement