Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

GBX wrote: »
    They do indeed. But Honorbuy are usually the fastest at delivery. Comes down to whether somebody prefers to have the phone cheaper and can wait (EGlobal - Usually delivers in 6-8 working days) or needs it sooner.

Good to know they do. Anyway there was only a few euro in the difference when I ordered. First “Chinese phone” even though they are all made there ya know what I mean. Looking at it, it’s android 9 with a MIUI skin on top, can you make it just android ? Not sure I can I usual use Nova launcher anyway.

Any tips regarding removing bloat apps, red lashing etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

MIUI is more than just a skin, its a really heavy redesign using android as a base. Best bet is a custom launcher like Nova if you dont like MIUI.

fixXxer wrote: »
    MIUI is more than just a skin, its a really heavy redesign using android as a base. Best bet is a custom launcher like Nova if you dont like MIUI.

Yeah was thinking that. I take there are no issues with Android auto I’m coming from Apple carplay but have used android Auto

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Is there any cover with eGlobal or Honorbuy in terms of warranties etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Has anyone gotten the redmi note 8 pro global version from anywhere yet?

I'm waiting to get some confirmation of somewhere selling one that actually works here for the 4g.

• Advertisement

kiddums wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten the redmi note 8 pro global version from anywhere yet?

I'm waiting to get some confirmation of somewhere selling one that actually works here for the 4g.

I got mine this morning just in the middle of setting it up. Just make sure you get one that has B2 for 4G that will cover all bands on 4G. Check out https://www.kimovil.com/en/compare-smartphones
    This will let you know which bands work on what phones and country. This is what I used.

So got the Redmi note 8 pro this morning and have it all set up. First impressions,

Got a MIUI update straight away 10.4.5.

The screen is surprisingly nice considering its an LTPS panel.
    Battery seems good took of charge at 10 and at 88 now (03:42) Messing with phone and doing updates
    Speakers are good
    The camera is meh, during daytime it's good, sometimes it's not great at autofocusing, but I think this has something to do with the object or the environment you are trying to focus on. Nighttime shots are brutal. I haven't used the video yet will try that tomorrow,
    Not loving the MIUI skin and feel. Wish I could get a Google 9/10 look on the phone. Any ideas here?
    Call quality is very good.
    Watching Netflix, it crops the image to remove teardrop notch put I believe that you can change a setting to allow apps to run in full-screen mode.

I'm coming from XS max (Which I will be putting up on adverts). Happy enough with the purchase considering the price I paid.

Hope this helps someone decide on their purchase.

Any suggestions regarding the phone for tweaks, gcam (Not sure this works as not snapdragon processor) etc would be ncie.

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭sioda

Had to buy a replacement for my dad's Wileyfox, went with a Honor 10 lite in blue as still had micro usb. Got it yesterday and god its a good looking phone the finish and the feel of it are to notch.

Mods if this post is not really meant for this thread please move to Android forum.

Have the note 8 pro for 3 days now, did the usual installing apps, ended up sticking with stock launcher. So it's been awhile since I've used an Android based device the last time I used one and one of the reasons why I moved back to IOS was the constant watching battery stats and what's eating battery, what's waking the phone up during the night. Which I never do on IOS.

For the first time I woke up this morning and the battery had drained 21% as you can see from screenshot it was awake constantly.

During my sleep
    DND on
    WiFi on
    mobile date off
    Auto brightness off

I've installed Gsam battery manager to see if that can shed some light.

I have all the usual turned off,
    WiFi & Bluetooth scanning
    Auto backup
    Location is device only

I restarted the phone, clear system cache etc

Is there issues with miui 10 with awake during screen off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Mods if this post is not really meant for this thread please move to Android forum.

Have the note 8 pro for 3 days now, did the usual installing apps, ended up sticking with stock launcher. So it's been awhile since I've used an Android based device the last time I used one and one of the reasons why I moved back to IOS was the constant watching battery stats and what's eating battery, what's waking the phone up during the night. Which I never do on IOS.

For the first time I woke up this morning and the battery had drained 21% as you can see from screenshot it was awake constantly.

During my sleep
    DND on
    WiFi on
    mobile date off
    Auto brightness off

I've installed Gsam battery manager to see if that can shed some light.

I have all the usual turned off,
    WiFi & Bluetooth scanning
    Auto backup
    Location is device only

I restarted the phone, clear system cache etc

Is there issues with miui 10 with awake during screen off?

It might take a while to settle down and might also need a few updates before they get it right. I think it's been a while since they used a Media Tek processor.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    It might take a while to settle down and might also need a few updates before they get it right. I think it's been a while since they used a Media Tek processor.

That's what I'm hoping. I really believe that the Android OS has come on leaps and bounds and I'm very surprised at how good the miui is is. Not sure it's possible to even flash different ROMs on these devices due to media Tek processor. Would like to have the option of flashing a stock Android Ron also, is that possible for the note 8 pro or is it too early days as it was only realised 2 months ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Where could I get a case in Ireland for redmi note 8 pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

BobbyT28 wrote:
    So got the Redmi note 8 pro this morning and have it all set up. First impressions,

You can jailbreak it( you tube) invalidates warranty,but did it 3 yrs ago to another redmi,I too hate the miui skin, currently have a mi max 2 ( great beast) but am sorely tempted by the k20 pro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I just ordered these from Amazon, 2 day delivery

YIIWAY Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Case, Black Ultra Slim Protective Case Hard Cover Shell for Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro (6.53") YW40941 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WRNT8ZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_fKCRDbV61CQH9

[URL="AhaSky Tempered Glass for Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Screen Protector, Easy Bubble-Free Installation, 9H Hardness, 99.99% HD Clarity Tempered Glass Protector for Redmi Note 8 Pro - 3 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X27ZGJT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eMCRDbW6JK21D"]AhaSky Tempered Glass for Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Screen Protector, Easy Bubble-Free Installation, 9H Hardness, 99.99% HD Clarity Tempered Glass Protector for Redmi Note 8 Pro - 3 Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X27ZGJT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eMCRDbW6JK21D[/URL]

Hope that helps
    BobbyT28

Links don't work can you pm me

You can jailbreak it( you tube) invalidates warranty,but did it 3 yrs ago to another redmi,I too hate the miui skin, currently have a mi max 2 ( great beast) but am sorely tempted by the k20 pro

I've installed Nova launcher as it's the one I used many moons ago but maybe there is a better launcher available now?

Yeah was looking at the k20 but opted for Redmi and not disappointed so far.

What am disappointed in is and this is coming from an iPhone that I moved to from Android many moons ago because of this reason, the constant phone awake when screen off!! Bloodly annoying. I've tweaked the phone a good bit over the last few days and have the awake not coming on as much but still feel like I'm always watching battery I dictator!! I stalled Gsam but doesn't really point to any apps. I suspect maybe Life360 or Garmin connect caused g the awakes and slight drain but can't be sure.

Have to get over this as I either charge the phone in work or in the car so never really below 30% anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Any recommendations for phone around the 200 Euro mark?

Currently using a basic Huawei that is a bit battered no idea what model as not very technical.

Just basic phone, internet and app use required but would like decent storage and functional.

Any suggestions welcome

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Any recommendations for phone around the 200 Euro mark?

Currently using a basic Huawei that is a bit battered no idea what model as not very technical.

Just basic phone, internet and app use required but would like decent storage and functional.

Any suggestions welcome

Redmi Note 8 with 64gb storage for €191 or 128gb for €218

https://www.honorbuy.com/1740-redmi-note-8-6gb-64gb-global-rom-black.html

I've installed Nova launcher as it's the one I used many moons ago but maybe there is a better launcher available now?

Yeah was looking at the k20 but opted for Redmi and not disappointed so far.

What am disappointed in is and this is coming from an iPhone that I moved to from Android many moons ago because of this reason, the constant phone awake when screen off!! Bloodly annoying. I've tweaked the phone a good bit over the last few days and have the awake not coming on as much but still feel like I'm always watching battery I dictator!! I stalled Gsam but doesn't really point to any apps. I suspect maybe Life360 or Garmin connect caused g the awakes and slight drain but can't be sure.

Have to get over this as I either charge the phone in work or in the car so never really below 30% anyway!

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

PM sent

That takes helping yourself to a new level..

• Advertisement

:p
    T-Bird wrote: »
    That takes helping yourself to a new level..

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭breeno

Any Xiaomi Mi 8 owners in here these days? I ordered a couple of cases from China while I had the phone and they arrived after I'd sold it.

Would be happy to post if anybody wants them. Pm me if interested. It's the grey fabric case at the following link in pics 19 and 20.

https://m.ebay.ie/itm/For-Xiaomi-Redmi-7-6-Mi-8-SE-Fabric-Stitching-Hybrid-Bumper-Hard-Skin-Case-Cover/163717817558?var=463219505917&hash=item261e57a4d6:g:obYAAOSwAy9c9M4p

Anyone else have this issue,

Redmi Note 8 pro

Everyone I make a call or receive a call the minute I answer or press dial the screen goes black and I am unable to turn screen back on until the other person hangs up and ends the call. Really annoying.

Have read that is a proximity sensor issue and it can be turned off, but I'm unable to find that setting on my phone.

Has any else have this issue and been able to resolve it.

Phone up to date, even installed a different dialler but still the issue continues.

Thanks
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Have read that is a proximity sensor issue and it can be turned off, but I'm unable to find that setting on my phone.
    Try dialing *#*#6484#*#* to get into engineers menu.

Number 27 on the list should be Proximity sensor. Change the 0 to 5 and press error.
    Then back out.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I just ordered a phone I don't need, that is going to be a present for an friend that breaks all of his phones, so I am not in any rush to get it.
    I am ordering two to test EU Priorit again (for the final time for me).

One EU priority to see if it has improved at all
    and
    Normal with Tariff Insurance to make sure it gets here.
    https://www.banggood.com/marketing-Ulefone-Armor-X5-Phone/tid-5356.html
    I ordered while I was writing this, getting the link. So I guess I will find out.

I wouldn't have any faith in the EU Priority version getting here, only for the fact that it is a preorder (so may use different bulk shipping method from factory) and that some people have stated that they have had recent success with the EU Priority.

That code is not working for me. It just tries to dial someone. When I put in *#*#6484#*# it says invalid ussid code.

Is there another way or code I can use

Got it working. It wouldn't work on the 3rd party dialler I have but did on the default one. I'll have a play around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 buddyandizzy

Hi, just stumbled across this thread.

I am looking at upgrading my Samsung s8 I want to stay on Android and i have a budget of around €500.

I mainly use the phone for accessing social media, internet, emails. A good camera and battery life would be great.

Anybody able to point me inthe right direction?

I seen a recommendation a few pages back but that's a phone almost like a game consol. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Hi, just stumbled across this thread.

I am looking at upgrading my Samsung s8 I want to stay on Android and i have a budget of around €500.

I mainly use the phone for accessing social media, internet, emails. A good camera and battery life would be great.

Anybody able to point me inthe right direction?

I seen a recommendation a few pages back but that's a phone almost like a game consol. Cheers.
    The Google Pixel 4 is released today, and is expected to have a pixel 4a like the 3 had.

That may be worth looking at if it does come out, but may also be worth looking at the Pixel 3 or 3XL if their prices change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Has anyone had any issues using eglobal? I ordered over a week ago and my order is still processing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

kiddums wrote: »
    Has anyone had any issues using eglobal? I ordered over a week ago and my order is still processing.

A phone I ordered sept 30 arrived today. A few reminder emails were needed to eglobal and to their courier to get it over the line.
    This type of timeline is not unusual from what I have read on here and elsewhere.
    As has been said plenty of times, they tend to be the cheapest for a reason.

Advertisement