Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 3 - Read First Post!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Suckit wrote: »
    I bought the Realme 5 Pro and brought it away with me at the weekend. Lovely phone, smooth interaction navigating and fast. The camera is decent. ColorOS is nice, I have blocked all updates but I believe RealmeOS is waiting for me to install it. I have installed Gcam on it and so far I can't find any issues with it.

If you are deciding between it and the Redmi 8 Pro, then I think this Realme 5 Pro is the slightly better option.
    However, if you are deciding between the Realme 5 and the Redmi Note 8, than I think the Redmi Note 8 wins slightly between those two.

you ordered it from realme site?
    if so from when you placed order to receiving it how long?
    thanks
    199€ is a great price for spec.
    also on amazon.es for same price with 9euro expedited shipping
    thanks
    j

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

seanin4711 wrote: »
    you ordered it from realme site?
    if so from when you placed order to receiving it how long?
    thanks
    199€ is a great price for spec.
    also on amazon.es for same price with 9euro expedited shipping
    thanks
    j

I ordered it from aliexpress link a page or two back. The postage was quick and avoided customs, but I wouldn't recommend it now (Christmas) also it won't be covered by eu warranty etc.
    Amazon spain were selling it for €175 last week. Might be worth watching on hagglezon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I ordered it from aliexpress link a page or two back. The postage was quick and avoided customs, but I wouldn't recommend it now (Christmas) also it won't be covered by eu warranty etc.
    Amazon spain were selling it for €175 last week. Might be worth watching on hagglezon.

Would you recommend it SuckIt? I suppose the Q is would you buy it again? Camera and battery are my main considerations.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Would you recommend it SuckIt? I suppose the Q is would you buy it again? Camera and battery are my main considerations.
    Yes, I like it a lot, I would buy it or another realme again for sure.
    XDA seem to have a large and growing realme community too. A lot of info and roms for the realme 5 pro too. Probably not that surprising as it is Oppo.
    It's down to €179 + shipping on amazon france (€187.25 delivered) when you apply the 10% discount under the listing.
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07ZRPHMCB/
    I've not seen a phone with SD712 that low in price anywhere else.
    Yep, I am liking it so far.
    Edited - Worth pointing out to some that there is no NFC.

XDA seem to have a large and growing realme community too. A lot of info and roms for the realme 5 pro too. Probably not that surprising as it is Oppo.
    It's down to €179 + shipping on amazon france (€187.25 delivered) when you apply the 10% discount under the listing.

nfc for same price on note 8t
    cannot find link to 10% off on amazon fr

• Advertisement

nfc for same price on note 8t
    cannot find link to 10% off on amazon fr
    Here is the correct link

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07ZRPHMCB/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A18Y13RCPLS12Y
    Or you can use code LFVDWE4Z at checkout.
    10% also off the 8Gb/128GB version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Sounds good, at least its a mainstream base. I got an oukitel before and I had to send it back, was obvious poor base even though specs were good.
    Whats the story with amazon france if you need to return, can you just ask the co.uk crowd I wonder?
    P.S. NFC used to be big on my list but I find I rarely used it when I had it so its not a big deal. A lot of machines in IRL are old and struggle with NFC I found.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Sounds good, at least its a mainstream base. I got an oukitel before and I had to send it back, was obvious poor base even though specs were good.
    Whats the story with amazon france if you need to return, can you just ask the co.uk crowd I wonder?
    P.S. NFC used to be big on my list but I find I rarely used it when I had it so its not a big deal. A lot of machines in IRL are old and struggle with NFC I found.

I have returned a few items to amazon france. You go in to chat as normal, sometimes there is an english speaker, sometimes they phone you (almost immediately) - both are relatively painless and returns are free.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

lawless11 wrote: »
    Update on my situation - a letter arrived this morning, so I will be hit by fees. Basically would have been better to just buy it in Europe. Ah well. :|

Hey Lawless, any idea how much the duty will be? I've a phone held in Athlone too, total cost €151.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Siobh73 wrote: »
    Hey Lawless, any idea how much the duty will be? I've a phone held in Athlone too, total cost €151.

Roughly 40 euro.

• Advertisement

Siobh73 wrote: »
    https://www.calculatevat.net/index.php

€35 + handling

I think An Post handling is €12.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

It should be 23% + €10 fee

went with this from reviews online
    234 from amazon.es for 6gb 64gb version
    have it in 7 days from order to delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Hey guys

I need a new phone. Anywhere between 2-400. Any recommendations? If the step up between a 200 Euro phone and a 400 Euro phone isnt a lot then id prefer the 200 one.

Requirements really are just a smooth phone, good battery. Would like something with a good camera or maybe slow-mo etc. NFC or earphones jack isnt really important to me.

Cheers

Hey guys

I need a new phone. Anywhere between 2-400. Any recommendations? If the step up between a 200 Euro phone and a 400 Euro phone isnt a lot then id prefer the 200 one.

Requirements really are just a smooth phone, good battery. Would like something with a good camera or maybe slow-mo etc. NFC or earphones jack isnt really important to me.

Cheers
    Mi 9 t from Xiaomi
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xiaomi-mi-9t-pro-6128-at-amazon-germany-29809-3350639

Should add that I would like one with good/loud speakers and some sort of waterproofness and strong sturdy frame if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Should add that I would like one with good/loud speakers and some sort of waterproofness and strong sturdy frame if possible.
    https://www.honorbuy.com/1746-redmi-note-8-pro-128gb-global-version-white.html

massy086 wrote: »

Im currently looking into this and the mi 9t/pro.

What are the speakers like on this phone? I had a htc u11+ which had very good speakers and is also waterproof. I read that the speakers on this arent great. Whats your opinion on them?

Could someone answer this for me too. What is the real difference between a 6gb and 8gb RAM phone if I wont be gaming on it? Just general stuff like watching netflix/prime/youtube etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Could someone answer this for me too. What is the real difference between a 6gb and 8gb RAM phone if I wont be gaming on it? Just general stuff like watching netflix/prime/youtube etc.

Thanks
    if your not a gamer in real life 6gb will be plenty.i have the OnePlus 7t and the Spears are brilliant.i had 2 xiaomi phone before this and loved both great phones

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. So I have decided to get a realme x2. I have looked around and my two best options are honorbuy and amazon spain.

I would prefer amazon spain as they have it in white and id prefer to buy with amazon. However, the actual page for the realme x2 isnt translating which isnt ideal. It also says Spanish version. I presume that is for Spanish customers so they know that it will work in Spain or is there a specific Spanish version that may have issues if brought to Ireland?

The other option is HonorBuy. Same price with the 2-5 business day shipping but they only have it in blue.

Any advice regarding Amazon ES and the Spanish version comment on the Amazon page would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. So I have decided to get a realme x2. I have looked around and my two best options are honorbuy and amazon spain.

I would prefer amazon spain as they have it in white and id prefer to buy with amazon. However, the actual page for the realme x2 isnt translating which isnt ideal. It also says Spanish version. I presume that is for Spanish customers so they know that it will work in Spain or is there a specific Spanish version that may have issues if brought to Ireland?

The other option is HonorBuy. Same price with the 2-5 business day shipping but they only have it in blue.

Any advice regarding Amazon ES and the Spanish version comment on the Amazon page would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure there are only two versions Chinese and Global.
    They often mention that they are for the market they've entered - Germany or Spain mostly, but they are global versions.
    In a worst case scenario you can buy it, - and if in Ireland it doesn't pick up 4G with one of the main providers (it should have all bands), you can send it back free of charge to Spain and they will refund or replace.
    Amazon Spain will speak in English on chat when possible, or they will reply on email. They also phone (less frequent than France or Germany).
    You don't have that option with Honorbuy.
    In my opinion, if the price is similar it doesn't bear thinking about. Buy from amazon.

EDITED:

If you are stumped ordering from amazon spain (same buttons as UK site) you can use Google chrome to automatically translate the page for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭smilerf

Lads I have a Huawei mate 10 Pro the last 2 years but I fancy a change

Thing I can't afford to splash out 400 euro again
    Maybe 250

Has anyone ever downgraded as regards price and if so what do you suggest

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Friend bought a Redmi Note 8 4GB RAM 128GB ROM Global Version Blue on Honourbuy at 11am on Monday just gone, delivered via DHL yesterday. Total cost €201.

I'd a Redmi Note 7, and from a quick look at the 8 the differences aren't huge, better in terms of tech specs with the newer Snapdragon 665 in the 8 and the 8 comes with an actual Dual sim rather than a Hybrid Dual Sim in the 7. Both phones are the same size. Improvement on the camera specs on the 8 with an ultrawide lenses.

And the Redmi Note 8 is actually €4 cheaper than the 7 on honourbuy.

I'm pretty sure there are only two versions Chinese and Global.
    They often mention that they are for the market they've entered - Germany or Spain mostly, but they are global versions.
    In a worst case scenario you can buy it, - and if in Ireland it doesn't pick up 4G with one of the main providers (it should have all bands), you can send it back free of charge to Spain and they will refund or replace.
    Amazon Spain will speak in English on chat when possible, or they will reply on email. They also phone (less frequent than France or Germany).
    You don't have that option with Honorbuy.
    In my opinion, if the price is similar it doesn't bear thinking about. Buy from amazon.

EDITED:

If you are stumped ordering from amazon spain (same buttons as UK site) you can use Google chrome to automatically translate the page for you.

Cheers for the reply. Chrome wont translate this page for some reason for me. Works no problem on german and french amazon. It translates it momentarily but keeps switching back to spanish.

Anyway, decided to wait until January to order.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

Just purchased a Redmi Note 8T but can't connect my Samsung Gear sports watch to it. Had no issue with my MIA1.
    Tested it on a Redmi Note 8 running MIUI 11.0.3 and no problem connecting to the watch. My Redmi Note 8T is running on 10.3.5.
    Help!!

Motorola G7 Plus is on amazon France for €140 + vat + shipping €151 delivered
    https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07N9FMG1L

Great price for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

dedaw wrote: »
    Just purchased a Redmi Note 8T but can't connect my Samsung Gear sports watch to it. Had no issue with my MIA1.
    Tested it on a Redmi Note 8 running MIUI 11.0.3 and no problem connecting to the watch. My Redmi Note 8T is running on 10.3.5.
    Help!!

Have you reset your watch to factory settings? I've to do this with a new or reset phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    Have you reset your watch to factory settings? I've to do this with a new or reset phone.

Thanks, tried a couple of times. No joy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,658 ✭✭✭corks finest

Nice phone,on my 4 th mi phone ATM ( mi note 10) great phones but u need to get over the miui set up + be prepared to get rid of some bloatware,+ they are not pure Android

Advertisement