Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Reggie. wrote: »
    Hold up........ rain forecasted for tuesday in the midlands. Let the panic begin

And if the baler man is busy give this lad a shout

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2406640606105362&id=100002783397454

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

What are lads and lady's paying to get small squares made?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

dodo mommy wrote: »

Usually 50c a bale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

dodo mommy wrote: »

50 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mengele

Mowed for hay last Monday. It was green enough from fert still and hadnt seeded. Still a green tint in it today (although has only been turned 3 times). As tomorrow is day 7 if there any problems leaving it down for another 3 or 4 days bringing it up to 10 or 11 days?

• Advertisement

mengele wrote: »
    Mowed for hay last Monday. It was green enough from fert still and hadnt seeded. Still a green tint in it today (although has only been turned 3 times). As tomorrow is day 7 if there any problems leaving it down for another 3 or 4 days bringing it up to 10 or 11 days?

What are u waiting for - bale it up tomorrow. Good day promised.
    And why was it only turned 3 times in this weather ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

Green hay is the best hay you can have so long as it’s green and dry. Don’t be thinking the grass has to turn yellow for it to be hay, it just has to be dry. If it’s cut 7 days in this weather and has been turned 3 times I can’t see how it couldn’t be fit to bale tomorrow. There’s good hay being made in 4 days in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mengele

Sami23 wrote: »

im afraid of it heating when there is still green in it. I find turning it too much just makes bruss out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭DBK1

You should be asking why was it turned so often in this weather and not why was it only turned 3 times. There’s nothing worse than looking at clowns driving up and down a field of hay all day wasting diesel in this weather when the hay will save itself if you just leave it alone and give it time. In periods of weather like this, unless it’s a very heavy crop, hay should not be turned any more than twice. Every time you put a haybob through hay you’re breaking up the grass and reducing the feed value. Just leave it alone and let the sun do the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 tancoman

A fellow with a small baler would need 60 to 70 cents per bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

My father was getting 25 p a bale in the 70s 80s a farmer started doing a small bit charging 22 p it never went up past that even now at 50 cent tisnt worth taking the bale out as most guys only make 100 and round bale the rest

DBK1 wrote: »
    You should be asking why was it turned so often in this weather and not why was it only turned 3 times. There’s nothing worse than looking at clowns driving up and down a field of hay all day wasting diesel in this weather when the hay will save itself if you just leave it alone and give it time. In periods of weather like this, unless it’s a very heavy crop, hay should not be turned any more than twice. Every time you put a haybob through hay you’re breaking up the grass and reducing the feed value. Just leave it alone and let the sun do the work.

Personally I think it would need to be turned more than 2 times to get it all saved regardless of weather but everyone to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The old farmers rule of feeling the hay is still practiced, if it's cold to feel it's not fit to bale, warm to feel then it's fit to bale. Hay baled at 20% moisture content or less is fit to gather and can be stored. The old farmers rule applies if it's fit to bale then it's fit for housing.

Farmer's Journal, 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Personally I think it would need to be turned more than 2 times to get it all saved regardless of weather but everyone to their own

I have made hay a few times and do not own a haybob. I would leave it in rows for at least two days in weather like this.. I have left it in rows for four days in slightly broken hay weather. It saves in rows and if it gets a shower water runs off the grass.

Cutting with a conditioner is worth 1-3 days. Hay cut with a conditioner in weather like this will be ready in five days. Break out the rows in day two or three in weather like this and turn it.1-2 days later and row it.

On a light crop I got once on a hybrid I only broke out the rows on day two and rowed it it on day four and baled it on day five.

I made silage last Friday it was cut 48 hours in the rows. If I had turned it out Saturday and rowed it later to I be baling it tomorrow. Mind you it was rowed up Friday morning. My grandfather had a tumbling jack and I remember him saving hay in rows with it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

im afraid of it heating when there is still green in it. I find turning it too much just makes bruss out of it.

It will heat a bit anyway. Heating on its own sap is no problem. Heating while. wet from the elements or baling to late or early in day with dew on it is the problem. You burn it to a yellow crisp and it has no feeding value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

It needs to be turned as often as the crop and conditions need. Keep turning untill you don’t have any fresh grass coming up. You will probably get away with a turn less if using a tedder instead of a hay-bob.

The thing is you don’t know if it’s fit untill you turn it so it will get one turn more than it really needs.

It’s amazibg how a crop can look perfect and then you turn it and there are still lumps that are fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

We would save hay in 4 days here.
    Cut with conditioner mower and turn for 2 days after and pick up the 4th day.
    It needs to be well made on the shank though.

Personally no interest in it only purely for using it to dry off cows. No feed value in it for growing or milking stock or putting weight on dry cows

We would save hay in 4 days here.
    Cut with conditioner mower and turn for 2 days after and pick up the 4th day.
    It needs to be well made on the shank though.

Personally no interest in it only purely for using it to dry off cows. No feed value in it for growing or milking stock or putting weight on dry cows

Everything is in hay's favour at present. Ground is bone dry worth a day. Grass is being cut bone dry worth another day. Last week was better weather as it was not as hot. If you cut last Tuesday you have been able to bale yesterday unless crop was growing over the winter. Too many lads have never made May hay before. it always withered late June hay. Green hay like you get at present off grass that is only flowering is as good as silage for drystock. If cows were not milking for 8+ weeks it would be more than grand for them. It would be no use if milking. Sucklers cows would put on condition on hay like this.

Mind you hay could be very cheap to buy this year. there is a lot of full sheds around the place. I know a lad that is renting a shed that he has filled with hay last August. None of it sold, he was offered 18/bale out of the field and refused it. There the bone of 100 bales in the shed. What is it costing him to store it and how much for next winter as well at this stage.

Slava Ukrainii

It needs to be turned as often as the crop and conditions need. Keep turning untill you don’t have any fresh grass coming up. You will probably get away with a turn less if using a tedder instead of a hay-bob.

The thing is you don’t know if it’s fit untill you turn it so it will get one turn more than it really needs.

It’s amazibg how a crop can look perfect and then you turn it and there are still lumps that are fresh.

There is a different between fresh and green grass. But it is also possible to walk through a field with a fork and check it. It takes an hour but you know fast if it is saved. Even after you turn a few acres you know if it was saved. Too many lads beat the sh!te out of hay. Often it has hardly hit the ground and they are belting sh!t out of it as fast as the mower cuts it. As well lads not staying turning it in the row positions.. Lads turning it too soon after rain. If there is small hints of unsaved grass in it put it into rows and leave it for 24 hours before baling. That if you want hay if you want straw belt away

Slava Ukrainii

........ Sucklers cows would put on condition on hay like this.....

That's exactly what the Vet said one year at a difficult calving a cow that was fed hay saved in May. He said that Hay saved in May was no different to silage in feed value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

Lads love complicating hay making especially in this weather. The secret is to only turn once a day in the early afternoon while the sun and drying is at its strongest. I’ve saved a lot of hay in the last week by doing the following

Day 1 cut
    Day 2 turn
    Day 3 turn
    Day 4 turn
    Day 5 row up and bale a few hours later

Straight into the shed then when I find the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Dunedin

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    Lads love complicating hay making especially in this weather. The secret is to only turn once a day in the early afternoon while the sun and drying is at its strongest. I’ve saved a lot of hay in the last week by doing the following

Day 1 cut
    Day 2 turn
    Day 3 turn
    Day 4 turn

Exact same motto here.

Bottom line is the weather. In bad to middling weather hay is a nightmare. Remember years ago befor the days of wrapping, hay could be down 2-3 weeks in bad weather. It’d end up being baled but wouldn’t feed a cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have a feeling the secret to quality hay is Brix.

The higher the Brix, the higher the sugars.

People cutting grass with a Brix of 3 giving out about hay having no feeding while their neighbour cuts grass with a Brix of 15.

Article about Brix.

https://www.nourishingdays.com/raw-milk-garden/

here's another interesting one I read yesterday, on Brix.

https://onpasture.com/2017/09/11/heres-why-we-dont-use-brix-to-measure-forage-quality/

Day 1 cut
    Day 2 turn
    Day 3 turn
    Day 4 turn

IMO you should let it in rows for two days and even three in slightly broken weather. This also gives the option of round baling it if weather breaks. If cut with a conditioner you might only need to turn it out once and row it to save it. I be on no hurry putting May hay into a shed. It needs time outside. Do not pack bales to much but no point in baling air either.

It the same with all these lads turning silage out to dry. Leave it in the rows and when it is rowed for baling 6-8 hours pre baling it will dry if the weather is right. Too many lads cannot leave a job alone

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Quite a negative article.
    Still it shows the importance of not cutting first thing in the morning or with cloudy conditions.
    You'd get from it if you swing that article around why cattle kill out like lead feeding on pasture with high brix in droughty blazing hot Sun conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnnyw20

IMO you should let it in rows for two days and even three in slightly broken weather. This also gives the option of round baling it if weather breaks. If cut with a conditioner you might only need to turn it out once and row it to save it. I be on no hurry putting May hay into a shed. It needs time outside. Do not pack bales to much but no point in baling air either.

It the same with all these lads turning silage out to dry. Leave it in the rows and when it is rowed for baling 6-8 hours pre baling it will dry if the weather is right. Too many lads cannot leave a job alone
    I’ve just an ordinary disk mover and find the grass lies very flat on the ground after cutting. I find that if I turn it the following day after cutting that it puts the cut ends of the grass facing upwards and off the ground and that it dries out the grass quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I’ve just an ordinary disk mover and find the grass lies very flat on the ground after cutting. I find that if I turn it the following day after cutting that it puts the cut ends of the grass facing upwards and off the ground and that it dries out the grass quicker

You're right, you'd gain a day in that circumstances. 2 turns and a row is enough unless your trying to save a silage crop. You'd want to turn it twice and save it quick in this weather, there's a lot of brittle burnt useless hay made.
    I'd say it'll be for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

So are round and square balers busy today making hay?....looking at forecast there is rain coming into the north west tomorrow and moving easterly tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭Robson99

Have made a decent amount of hay here down through the years.
    There is hay and there ****e.
    Lads cutting old meadow that has not been grazed since last October are only making the feed equivelant of straw.
    You need good ryegrass to make good hay same as silage.
    Weather saves hay and not machines.
    Weather like this is great. Cut dry and ground durty as a cork. I like to turn it the day after cutting with a disc mower then leave it alone for a day. 3 turns should be adequate. Ryegrass saved in 6 days. Leave it out for a couple of weeks once baled.
    Problem there is at times is lads using haybobs and leaving part of the rows behind them and then there are green damp bits being baled up.
    Haybobs were ok after 5'6" drum mowers. Hard work after a 7' or 8' disc mower

Advertisement