Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Kanlurk wrote: »
    I think we’ve been living in a safe bubble here for many weeks now and we presume the same mindset will apply in the resorts abroad. However, we haven’t seen firsthand yet what will happen with social distancing when the pubs re-open. Would you enjoy a drink in a bar in Spain at the moment or be constantly wary of other groups of ‘merry’ tourists around you?
    Will you stop your kids playing with other kids on the beach/hotel?. If not, will they be back out playing with the kids in the neighbourhood when they get back-just before school starts again?
    And it’s always stated that we will be only be allowed to travel to ‘safe’ countries where the infection rate is the same..but if Spain is also opening up to higher risk English travellers, you are going to be mingling with them-especially in the closely confined airport.

I think this is one of the best contributions on this forum.

It's not about how safe you feel setting off on your holidays but what you bring home and the devastation it will cause to our loved ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The toilets in bars in Spain though typically resemble the toilet in Trainspotting.

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,431 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

faceman wrote: »
    Huh?

In the resorts the toilets of bars are generally poor quality, sometimes shared toilets for male and females, very few would be anywhere near the size or standard of those in pubs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

ASOT wrote: »
    Not long now for myself, will be in Alicante and all this time next week.

Have a ball

The toilets in bars in Spain though typically resemble the toilet in Trainspotting.

Especially in the 4or5 star accommodation......

Ridiculous comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

In the resorts the toilets of bars are generally poor quality, sometimes shared toilets for male and females, very few would be anywhere near the size or standard of those in pubs in Ireland.

You’re going to the wrong places, I’ve encountered the good, bad and downright horrific here, there and everywhere, but you can usually tell before you enter; so easily avoided. Plus doubt many are travelling for a ‘bar’ holiday at the moment more a quiet getaway. Though there’s always some.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Great idea go on holidays,be in close contact with people possibly from high infected countries. Bring the virus home and spread it around the place again.Country locked down again and people start cribbing and crying again just so they can have their week in the sun. We had fantastic weather during lock down. Absolute clowns, greedy people nothing else.

my last parent possibly dying from imported **** that's not necessary , so someone can get a bit of sun .

Very sad to know you lost a parent possibly just so someone else could hve a good time. Sorry for you loss

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Great idea go on holidays,be in close contact with people possibly from high infected countries. Bring the virus home and spread it around the place again.Country locked down again and people start cribbing and crying again just so they can have their week in the sun. We had fantastic weather during lock down. Absolute clowns, greedy people nothing else.

So if it's safe to go somewhere and our government has said so, you consider them people "greedy"???

Think you're slightly jealous and have a touch of begrudge there pal.

• Advertisement

Manc_Red wrote: »
    So if it's safe to go somewhere and our government has said so, you consider them people "greedy"???

Bit of common sense,which everyone in the country knows the government have zero of.Why would you risk bringing something home to a family member or just an average joe soap your cross paths with in the shop. Not one bit of begrudge by me. Just cant see why people cant stay at home for one year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Manc_Red wrote: »

The government has advised not to take a foreign holiday, there is no safe place announced. There may not be any announced.
    Nobody is jealous and it's certainly not begrudgery, people looked at the italian fans and thought what idiots, then they looked at the Cheltenham fans and thought what bigger idiots, now we're looking at the people thinking of taking a foreign holiday against all medial advice and we're thinking what a bunch of selfish ar**ho**s can you not stay at home for one summer.

Bit of common sense,which everyone in the country knows the government have zero of.Why would you risk bringing something home to a family member or just an average joe soap your cross paths with in the shop. Not one bit of begrudge by me. Just cant see why people cant stay at home for one year

It is here too though, wonder what people in Kerry, Sligo etc are thinking about an influx of ‘staycationers’ from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Make the most of it. Social distances not being kept, people out and about as if it's over and looking at Germany and other places only a matter of time before were closing down again. My opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Make the most of it. Social distances not being kept, people out and about as if it's over and looking at Germany and other places only a matter of time before were closing down again. My opinion.

So you fancy being locked down in your room/apartment/villa abroad. Some holiday. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

GreyEagle wrote: »
    So you fancy being locked down in your room/apartment/villa abroad. Some holiday. Enjoy!

No I won't be holidaying abroad this year until I see a end in sight for this pandemic.
    Just happy to be back working and able to mix at distance with family and friends again.
    Havn't a clue where you thought I would be happy locked down abroad though. Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

bladespin wrote: »
    Been monitoring Portugal for the past while, seems to be going well overall, really hoping to make it over around the start of August.

Jesus you need to improve your monitoring skills

It is here too though, wonder what people in Kerry, Sligo etc are thinking about an influx of ‘staycationers’ from Dublin.

Cash cows just like the Italians and Spanish are looking at them, the difference is we have it under control and there's little risk taking a holiday at home.
    Dubs don't in general move much outside of Dublin, your more likely to find one that's been to Sydney than Caherdaniel.
    A good few of my friends are all heading west at the start of August, we'll have a ball regardless of weather.

GreyEagle wrote: »

Wouldn’t be a bad one at all, sitting on the balcony or a drink by the pool, have some friends who were abroad when the first lockdown came in, they had a ball, just depends on what you want from a holiday.

Jesus you need to improve your monitoring skills

Really, how so? Not sure how me watching their progress could help but I’m open to suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Really, how so? Not sure how me watching their progress could help but I’m open to suggestions.

500 new cases yesterday

• Advertisement

500 new cases yesterday

Not sure what I could do about it but am aware and see partial lockdowns in Portimao (as per my post above).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Was supposed to fly to Malaga on July 14th for 2 weeks with family. The flight is going ahead and the hotel is open but we all decided to back out for several reasons.

1 - Masks recommended for all flights, we don't fancy wearing a mask for 3 hours each flight.
    2 - Masks required in most public spaces, restaurants and bars in Spain throughout this summer.
    3 - Worrying about which restaurant to trust and trying to eat with masks in place does not sound like a fun time.
    4 - You can be fined for not wearing a mask in public spaces in Spain. Having a mask in your pocket or not on properly can still cause you to be fined, it has to be on properly.
    5 - Extra tests and security at Spanish airports.
    6 - The worry that a second wave could start at any time.

We've had wonderful holidays in Spain over the years but none of this sounds like a fun or relaxing holiday so we have decided to stay at home instead and hope that we can go to Spain summer 2021 with not as many restrictions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Gonzo wrote: »
    Was supposed to fly to Malaga on July 14th for 2 weeks with family. The flight is going ahead and the hotel is open but we all decided to back out for several reasons.

1 - Masks recommended for all flights, we don't fancy wearing a mask for 3 hours each flight.
    2 - Masks required in most public spaces, restaurants and bars in Spain throughout this summer.
    3 - Worrying about which restaurant to trust and trying to eat with masks in place does not sound like a fun time.
    4 - You can be fined for not wearing a mask in public spaces in Spain. Having a mask in your pocket or not on properly can still cause you to be fined, it has to be on properly.
    5 - Extra tests and security at Spanish airports.
    6 - The worry that a second wave could start at any time.

We've had wonderful holidays in Spain over the years but none of this sounds like a fun or relaxing holiday so we have decided to stay at home instead and hope that we can go to Spain summer 2021 with not as many restrictions.

There seems to be a huge aversion to wearing masks in Ireland despite the over riding evidence that people should be doing so. Do you wear a mask in Ireland out of curiousity?

Regarding masks in Spain, they must be worn to areas where social distancing can’t be practiced. Therefor outdoors is fine for no mask if social distancing can’t be adhered too. The Spanish have embraced mask wearing just fine. It made a huge difference to getting the virus under control there.

Masks don’t have to be worn in bars/restaurants when you’re drinking/eating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There seems to be a huge aversion to wearing masks in Ireland despite the over riding evidence that people should be doing so. Do you wear a mask in Ireland out of curiousity?

We were wearing masks for the majority of the lockdown in supermarkets. Haven't wore them in a a few weeks.

Once I go back to start using public transport again i'll be back wearing masks on the bus.

Gonzo wrote: »
    We were wearing masks for the majority of the lockdown in supermarkets. Haven't wore them in a a few weeks.

Once I go back to start using public transport again i'll be back wearing masks on the bus.

You’d be considered one of the better ones here so. It needs to be made mandatory here similar to what Spain did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I hear fear-caves are lovely this time of year, personally I'll be stickng with 2 weeks on the Mediterranean.

It needs to be made mandatory here similar to what Spain did

Not if we stick with the plan of not importing the Virus. I'd rather people didn't go on holidays until stricter measures are in place, there should be holding zones near the airports for people returning until the authoritys are satisfied your virus free maybe after two tests over 7 days.

Not if we stick with the plan of not importing the Virus. I'd rather people didn't go on holidays until stricter measures are in place, there should be holding zones near the airports for people returning until the authoritys are satisfied your virus free maybe after two tests over 7 days.

Once again, I refer to the published research on the ECDC and WHO websites regarding travel bans

Also not every who travels is a tourist

Once again, I refer to the published research on the ECDC and WHO websites regarding travel bans

I'll take the advice from people dealing with it here on the island if you don't mind.

https://twitter.com/President_MU/status/1277206296106844166?s=20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

You going to protest outside the airport?

• Advertisement

You going to protest outside the airport?

Won't have to, a few will bring it back and that'll be the end of holidays or the start of quarantine zones. We're not going to be mandating everyone wears masks so people can take a foreign holiday.

I'll take the advice from people dealing with it here on the island if you don't mind.

Reads more like a question rather than advice, the WHO would have a lot more experience and knowledge of the subject but each to their own, personally I’m for mandatory masks in places where close contact is likely (regardless of travel).

Reality is the same question may well be asked next year and for the foreseeable future unless a vaccine or cure materialises. It’s also unlikely the virus will travel as freely as it did early this year thanks to awareness, restrictions and precautions but I acknowledge there is the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

there should be holding zones near the airports for people returning until the authoritys are satisfied your virus free maybe after two tests over 7 days.

I LOL'd at that one! :D

I hear it's fairly quiet at Aer Lingus, maybe they will loan the airport a hanger to corral the Infected hordes getting off the 8pm from Malaga? :D

You'd want to move to China pal, they'd luv you there! :D:D

I’d rather not be taking my health advice from a CMO who should have been fired for wanting to cover up the cervical smear scandal in 2018....

Actually I somewhat agree with you on the testing thing. If logistically possible all incoming passengers should be tested at the airport and have to use a contact tracing app. Holding zones is nonsense though.

Actually I somewhat agree with you on the testing thing. If logistically possible all incoming passengers should be tested at the airport and have to use a contact tracing app. Holding zones is nonsense though.

Hang on a second, logistically and financially the cost would be massive, if you get 4 or 5 Ryanair flights coming in at the same time that's around 945 people, where are you going to corral them, how many medical staff will need to be diverted to the airport and where will all these tests get processed seeing as I believe Ireland was sending test samples to a German lab. Who will pay for all this?

I’d rather not be taking my health advice from a CMO who should have been fired for wanting to cover up the cervical smear scandal in 2018....

I'm not his biggest fan but he's handled this well, in fairness were in a nice position now. Pubs open tomorrow, kids back to creche, holidays booked in the west, people moving freely, I can finally get a haircut.
    If we have to do a New Zealand on it when it comes to quarantine so be it, beats undoing all the good work.
    The Government should just copy this for holidaymakers https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-situation/covid-19-border-controls/covid-19-managed-isolation-and-quarantine
    Maybe we can give people longer Holidays to include quarantine time.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Hang on a second, logistically and financially the cost would be massive, if you get 4 or 5 Ryanair flights coming in at the same time that's around 945 people, where are you going to corral them, how many medical staff will need to be diverted to the airport and where will all these tests get processed seeing as I believe Ireland was sending test samples to a German lab. Who will pay for all this?

Holidaymakers, slap a €5k tax on them to cover medical expenses on their way out and on return. The tax payer shouldn't be carrying the can for people with Frigophobia.

Holidaymakers, slap a €5k tax on them to cover medical expenses on their way out and on return. The tax paper shouldn't be carrying the can for people with Frigophobia.

This gets better.....! :D

"Slap a €5,000 tax" on every tourist... on the way out and the return, so €10,000?! Tax Paper.... lol did you mean Tax pauper? We're all one of those! :D

"Frigophobia" ?? Classic! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Tax paper.

It’s done in some other airports around the world. I dont agree with holding people though. Dubai for example requires you to quarantine in your accommodation for a day or 2 pending test results.

I think a day or 2 self quarantine pending a test result would be a fair compromise for all the views expressed in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Now that we no longer have young kids our breaks are always outside of June/July/August, mostly to France, Spain and Italy.

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me to travel now, and I know we are fortunate not to NEED a break for a while, but mid October is on the list, more in hope than certainty.

We are all different and risk assess according to our needs and wants.

Personally I can't see this travel thing ending all that well. But sure who knows. Will wait and see how it goes and decide later. Sorry for those who are in a dilemma and may lose a wad of dosh if the don't go. That's very tough.

For those who may be interested, there is a YouTube channel called "Spain Speaks", and the vlogger is very informative, gave (and is giving) an update every two days or so during the lockdown and is still doing so. Might be worth a watch for updates for Spain lovers like myself.

It’s done in some other airports around the world. I dont agree with holding people though. Dubai for example requires you to quarantine in your accommodation for a day or 2 pending test results.
    I think a day or 2 self quarantine pending a test result would be a fair compromise for all the views expressed in this thread

We're not the UAE, we can just test almost 1000+ people a day, get the results within 2 days, and enforce a 2 day quarantine in what would be government provided/paid for hotels with all the security and staff needed to service a quarantine location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

I started saving for a holiday to Lanzarote around this time last year (not a huge amount every week but it all adds up). I had intended to use it around about now but I’m just going to keep it aside and add another small bit each week or so.
    Will hold off til after Christmas or so, maybe March or April. I couldn’t be dealing now with crowded airports and planes and Covid fears still lingering around the place. Anyway, the way the last few months have flown by, it’s really not that far away, so I can wait :)
    And.... should have a nice tidy sum built up by then! :D

We're not the UAE, we can just test almost 1000+ people a day, get the results within 2 days, and enforce a 2 day quarantine in what would be government provided/paid for hotels with all the security and staff needed to service a quarantine location.

Ireland has the capacity to test 13,000 people a day.

No one has to stay in state provided hotels, not sure where you got that from my post

• Advertisement

Ireland has the capacity to test 13,000 people a day.

No one has to stay in state provided hotels, not sure where you got that from my post

Ah here, come on what data have you got to suggest that quick testing at airports ultimately prevents the virus from being reintroduced?

Where do you expect people to wait for your previously mentioned 2 day turnaround for test results? Wouldn't letting people roam free onto Busses, trains, taxi's and private accommodation kinda defeat the purpose of trying to keep extra cases of the virus out of the country or am I imagining that as being the aim?

Ah here, come on what data have you got to suggest that quick testing at airports ultimately prevents the virus from being reintroduced?

Where do you expect people to wait for your previously mentioned 2 day turnaround for test results? Wouldn't letting people roam free onto Busses, trains, taxi's and private accommodation kinda defeat the purpose of trying to keep extra cases of the virus out of the country or am I imagining that as being the aim?

You’ve just dismantled their current quarantine requirements with your post ;)

You’ve just dismantled their current quarantine requirements with your post ;)

Ha! :pac:

Anyways I'm just waiting for Micheál to remove the 14 day quarantine requirement, it's a bad message to the rest of the EU..

Anyways I'm just waiting for Micheál to remove the 14 day quarantine requirement, it's a bad message to the rest of the EU..

You expect a republican to be more liberal than leo when it comes to border security. :D:D:D

I wouldn’t hold your breath. The new government seems just as keen on the blanket quarantine approach as the last crew. :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement