Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Irelands borders never closed we didn't call a state of emergency. They were ramping up the forced quarantine on the radio earlier for people returning, I'd expect the government to make a move shortly and hotels will be made available to hold people until their satisfied there ok. A simple check at the airport isn't enough and people can't be trusted to self isolate on their return was the jist of it.

I'd love to see that, especially as those returning are breaking no law, concentration camps, is that where you want this to go? There's already forced quarantine laws if needed, I'm not aware if it has been enacted though.

I'd love to head to Ibiza and know herself would be booking flights the minute I mention it, nothing seems open though, even TUI hotels, maybe the website is faulty something seems a miss. .

TUI sites weren't open last time I checked as well, most of the others are up and running, prices don't seem to be staggeringly discounted but haven't done an indepth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

At this stage I don't think the non-elected Dr Tony has anything to really worry about as he's guilted and frightened the S#!* out of so many people, that the flights will be virtually empty and cleaned them out of hard-earned savings all while our elected politicians sit back and wash their hands of the situation.

Maybe he's just doing his job and trying to keep citizens from catching covid?

Maybe he's just doing his job and trying to keep citizens from catching covid?

Yes, I believe this too, his job is to warn of any risks and he's doing that, I'm not a big fan of his blanket approach a to this (slight difference between Iraq and Spain imo) but there is a risk.

It's up to the government to make policy not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

It’s all very well people saying they have a EHIC card but I can’t imagine you’d get a particularly warm welcome if you present yourself at a Spanish hospital with Covid symptoms. Sure-you will get treated but my point is that you’d be putting unnecessary pressure on an already overworked health system. Not to mention making more work for the medical staff who are only human and I’d imagine the last thing they want to have to be doing is having to look after tourists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭recyclops

I am due to go to Gran Canaria in august my biggest worry is do they want me ( us/ tourists) over there. Its all well and good me wanting to go but if one person goes and somehow the island gets the virus back they may decide if its worth it, they will obviously struggle from a touristless season but that ship has sailed.

The selfish part of me is saying sure go and it'll be grand but i am also putting myself in others shoes i know if i had plane load of people descend on my town id be wary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

recyclops wrote:
    I am due to go to Gran Canaria in august my biggest worry is do they want me ( us/ tourists) over there. Its all well and good me wanting to go but if one person goes and somehow the island gets the virus back they may decide if its worth it, they will obviously struggle from a touristless season but that ship has sailed.

If you are taking the necessary common sense precautions around hygiene etc. They will be delighted to see you and your Euros

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

I'm booked on a flight to Lanzarote 5th July. My posistion is that I do not want to fly. I had booked a hotel for the week and have just received a call from them saying it was closed next week.

For me the frustrating situation is that, I now have no hotel, 1700 quid on flights for 4, and it will cost me over €500 to postpone to a new date plus the loss in value in flights. As is it I can get on the same flights now for about €500 return and if I did want to move them I can do so for FREE!

So the reality is I've lost €1200 as of now and the only way to recover some of that is put spend more cash on the Ryanair move fee another €500.

In the end it's only money. Being sick is not fun. Sounds like Spain won't be fun either for a few weeks yet.

That was more a rant. I'm going to disappear back into the Internet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Daithi155

Meant to be flying to Spain tomorrow but we're not travelling.
    Speaking to friends of mine who have lived in Spain (CDS) for the past 10 years plus.
    Their real fear is that Spain will be in lockdown (again) by the end of July.

Everyone has their own decisions to make!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Deleted posts discussing government response / should you shouldn't you debate. Getting close to having to lock another thread....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭DvB

diarmaidol wrote: »
    I'm booked on a flight to Lanzarote 5th July. My posistion is that I do not want to fly. I had booked a hotel for the week and have just received a call from them saying it was closed next week.

For me the frustrating situation is that, I now have no hotel, 1700 quid on flights for 4, and it will cost me over €500 to postpone to a new date plus the loss in value in flights. As is it I can get on the same flights now for about €500 return and if I did want to move them I can do so for FREE!

So the reality is I've lost €1200 as of now and the only way to recover some of that is put spend more cash on the Ryanair move fee another €500.

In the end it's only money. Being sick is not fun. Sounds like Spain won't be fun either for a few weeks yet.

That was more a rant. I'm going to disappear back into the Internet again.

Meet your brother. Four of us meant to be flying to Lanzarote tomorrow afternoon (booked on new years day). After much messing with alpharooms managed to get a credit note for the cost of the hotel (which is closed for the forseeable anyway) but currently stand to lose over €1600 on the flights with ryanair. Only option to rebook later in the year (at a cost of in excess of €600) which due to work commitments is absolutely of no use to me. Have travel insurance in place specific to the trip from February so going to see if i've any recourse there what with the DFA advice against non essential travel but not confident if i'm honest.

FWIW we have friends who live just outside PDC who told us last weekend that theres very little open. The odd restaurant & very few bars. Not many shops open, Shopping centres have limited access too & facemasks required for entry. Said the beaches were pretty quiet though so if thats your thing yu're in luck. Doesnt sound like much in the way of a relaxing family holiday for me anyway.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

recyclops wrote: »

That's a concern as well.
    Came across this article earlier (about Portugal, not Spain): infected passenger travels from London to Porto
    https://www.portugalresident.com/focus-on-lack-of-airport-checks-as-infected-passenger-travels-from-london-to-porto/

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

recyclops wrote:

recyclops wrote:
    The selfish part of me is saying sure go and it'll be grand but i am also putting myself in others shoes i know if i had plane load of people descend on my town id be wary.

The decision may be made for you ... I was supposed to be going to GC in August too and had the same concerns as you, Aer Lingus have cancelled the flights today and I'm slightly relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    The decision may be made for you ... I was supposed to be going to GC in August too and had the same concerns as you, Aer Lingus have cancelled the flights today and I'm slightly relieved.

Why are Aer Lingus cancelling flights in August?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Why are Aer Lingus cancelling flights in August?

No idea, they said in their email they were cancelling all flights from Dublin to Las Palmas from 20/07 to 14/08, no explanation as to why offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭waylander2002

I booked to go next week, Ryanair return 42 euros each way , half board hotel 50 percent off 400 euros for 3 of us, loads of empty hotels apartments available

quote="DvB;113895829"]Meet your brother. Four of us meant to be flying to Lanzarote tomorrow afternoon (booked on new years day). After much messing with alpharooms managed to get a credit note for the cost of the hotel (which is closed for the forseeable anyway) but currently stand to lose over €1600 on the flights with ryanair. Only option to rebook later in the year (at a cost of in excess of €600) which due to work commitments is absolutely of no use to me. Have travel insurance in place specific to the trip from February so going to see if i've any recourse there what with the DFA advice against non essential travel but not confident if i'm honest.

FWIW we have friends who live just outside PDC who told us last weekend that theres very little open. The odd restaurant & very few bars. Not many shops open, Shopping centres have limited access too & facemasks required for entry. Said the beaches were pretty quiet though so if thats your thing yu're in luck. Doesnt sound like much in the way of a relaxing family holiday for me anyway.[/quote]

Islands are covid free

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Islands are covid free

While the islands are far from the top of the Covid case count in Spain, they aren't Covid free. Currently there are 120 cases in the Balearics (with 7 new cases diagnosed today), with 59 in the Canaries (three successive days now without new cases having been diagnosed).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,077 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Islands are covid free
    Even if true, how long will that last once tourists start flying in, though?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well if the Summer Holliers don't work out you can always go skiing later on.

I never realised how many here would like snow, but there we are. Forget about the Benidorms and Shagalufs, there is a whole other cohort out there with ski passes and many kids too on school trips. Who knew!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

I never realised how many here would like snow, but there we are. Forget about the Benidorms and Shagalufs, there is a whole other cohort out there with ski passes and many kids too on school trips. Who knew!

werent a lot of the inital cases of covid19 brought back from ski trips and school trips to the alp during mid term

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Case of C19 are on the up since lockdown ceased in Spain by about 9%. Most recent cases don’t relate to tourism however but family gatherings.

No need for alarm, the government is confident that the new outbreaks are under control and expected.

Skiing has been a big thing here for years, never really been too tempted, but have a couple of friends who travel to Andora quite often, though funnily enough they haven't in the last couple of years, don't think I'd like to be saying I was just back from a ski trip last March :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭DvB

To be honest it wasn't the chances of catching the virus that put us off travelling today, it was feedback from the resort & the lack of clarity around what would happen on our return, I have work commitments that means I couldn't isolate for 2 weeks on arriving back to Dublin & that was a factor also.

Should have been in the air now, am raging at the whole situation.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Lanzarote says irlts covid free

quote="JuanJose;113900258"]While the islands are far from the top of the Covid case count in Spain, they aren't Covid free. Currently there are 120 cases in the Balearics (with 7 new cases diagnosed today), with 59 in the Canaries (three successive days now without new cases having been diagnosed).[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Anyone going on a holiday outside Ireland is selfish as f*ck. What a slap in the face to our healthcare workers..

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Anyone going on a holiday outside Ireland is selfish as f*ck. What a slap in the face to our healthcare workers..

How do you work that one out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

bladespin wrote: »
    How do you work that one out?

Do you not watch the news?

Do you not watch the news?

Nope, avoid it like Covid tbh, don't see how someone taking a holiday affects anyone else though.

• Advertisement

I'm traveling today, waiting at the gate in fact.

I am front line, haven't had 2 days in a row off since covid started hitting the fan. Haven't seen my wife and daughters since February as they live in Spain and I normally commute.

My roster has been changed overnight and boards is littered with people claiming covid payments while demanding I take a wage cut.

My family couldn't attend a family funeral either as a result. A funeral for a covid victim.

I'm not looking for applause, keep that for the health staff but calling me selfish? **** the horse you rode in on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement