Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

The problem remains for those who are working and face a potential self-isolation period of 14 days once they return home though I'd imagine that rule will be (ironically) kicked into touch relatively soon once the travel surge starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

First of all the Dingle Skellig is a four star. As is Lanzarote Village.

You have some fetish with people not travelling chief, it's not healthy.

Considering you are on a travel forum and all that.

And even if I could rent two houses in Ireland for that price I DON'T WANT TO!!
    We were meant to be going to France this coming Saturday for 3 weeks.
    I also was meant to be away over easter on the continent.

23 degrees today here in miserable Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Manc_Red wrote: »
    Surely flights will resume to Spain in late August at the latest?, I'm due to fly to Palma on the 8/08.

My gut feeling is that the Brits will flood Spain and trigger a second wave in July.

Flights will resume to Spain in July, and even earlier in some cases with Spain re-opening most european borders from June 21st. The border with Portugal isn't due to open until July 1st.

As for Brits flooding Spain, you'd think the requirement on them to self-isolate for 14 days upon returning home might cause quite a few to think twice although AFAIK the British government will review that requirement every 3 weeks, with the next review due on June 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭crustybread

Hi,

I was due to travel aer lingus outbound to alicante on July 6th. I wanted to cancel as travelling with parents who have undergone cancer treatment and too much uncertainty. I thought I would be forced to accept a flight change to later in year but just off the phone and its looks like all flights to alicante have been cancelled up until 19th of July. They have processed a full refund for me. May take up to 14 working days.

Might help someone else who was worrying about flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Is Lanzarote village hotel the same standard? Highly doubt it as Skelligs is a 5 star.
    Plus, there's huge demand for stats in Ireland so there is little availability pushing up prices

You could rent a large house for two whole families for a week in most holiday locations in Ireland for that.

Having worked there Dingle Skellig is NOT a 5 star in any capacity even after their most recent renovation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Having worked there Dingle Skellig is NOT a 5 star in any capacity even after their most recent renovation.

Agreed. I've stayed there numerous times and it's a reasonably nice 4 star, but not remotely a 5. In fairness to them, their website says it's a 4 star.

https://www.dingleskellig.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvtadu_yF6gIVVuDtCh2IWw5-EAAYASAAEgLNTPD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Done deal
    Daft
    You do the leg work

I think there are some tall tales going on in this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

We get it; you're an ambassador for holidaying in Ireland but everyone to their own. Personally, I love the sun, guaranteed good weather, and cheap food/drink. I also prefer to be in an area that's got a selection of eateries/bars on your doorstep. Nightly selection of entertainment. Watersports. Plenty to keep the kids occupied (well they mind themselves now, but you know what I mean). A room fairy. The list goes on. And unfortunately, those 2 locations you linked above don't tick enough of those boxes for me. Actually, they don't tick any.

Why are these considered good deals? A house plonked in the middle of nowhere. 1650 for 3 weeks.

I'll take the ferry to France thanks. 3 weeks on a site with loads to entertain the kids. Site cost me 800 all in. Ferry separate at 400.

Yellohvillage.co.uk for anyone looking

• Advertisement

We were meant to be going to France this coming Saturday for 3 weeks.
    I also was meant to be away over easter on the continent.

23 degrees today here in miserable Ireland

Fantastic weather. I really enjoyed bringing the kids to the water park,......

It's also absolutely pissing as I type this by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

I don’t think holidays abroad this summer will resemble anything like what you’d call normal. Yes they’re mad to get going again but they’ll still have to comply with public health advice. And that means queues at airports, distancing from each other in restaurants and bars etc. For me it’s not a good summer to be travelling anywhere abroad. Too risky for multiple reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

gebbel wrote: »
    I don’t think holidays abroad this summer will resemble anything like what you’d call normal. Yes they’re mad to get going again but they’ll still have to comply with public health advice. And that means queues at airports, distancing from each other in restaurants and bars etc. For me it’s not a good summer to be travelling anywhere abroad. Too risky for multiple reasons.

Same risks as in Ireland except you won’t be ripped off are guaranteed good weather and won’t have to suffer the daily dose of gloom on the Irish media.

Same risks as in Ireland except you won’t be ripped off are guaranteed good weather and won’t have to suffer the daily dose of gloom on the Irish media.

And probably a load of British tourists.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Don't forget your quarantine

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Enjoy your trip.

Plenty of places you can go to in Spain where there’s no other tourists at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Why are these considered good deals? A house plonked in the middle of nowhere. 1650 for 3 weeks.

I'll take the ferry to France thanks. 3 weeks on a site with loads to entertain the kids. Site cost me 800 all in. Ferry separate at 400.

Yellohvillage.co.uk for anyone looking

yep but you are staying in a fancy caravan not a house, and surround by other people , each to their own , can't compare a caravan to a house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Plenty of Brits floating around Ireland at the moment too, due to the Common Travel Area.

yep but you are staying in a fancy caravan not a house, and surround by other people , each to their own , can't compare a caravan to a house

Roof, bathroom, bedroom, sitting room and kitchen.

It's a holiday, the accommodation is very much secondary for us. We don't tend to be inside much beyond sleep.

People will be there, that's a valid point if that's not your thing but I still fail to see how a house in the middle of nowhere and no facilities at twice the price is a good deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Enjoy your trip.

Loads of British in Ireland at the momet
    I will thanks
    That quarantine will be gone and even if it’s not I’ll have no problem forgetting filling in a form and then forgetting all about it.

Enjoy hiding under the bed though we’ll give you a shout when there’s a vaccine.

Loads of British in Ireland at the momet
    I will thanks
    That quarantine will be gone and even if it’s not I’ll have no problem forgetting filling in a form and then forgetting all about it.

Enjoy hiding under the bed though we’ll give you a shout when there’s a vaccine.
    Good to see you're thinking of all the frontline workers and all those who would have serious issues if they caught covid from you on your return.

• Advertisement

Good to see you're thinking of all the frontline workers and all those who would have serious issues if they caught covid from you on your return.

Really wouldn't. He's so no more risking us than the hundreds of people at the checkpoints.

If the government was serious about this, they wouldn't have allowed Garda powers to lapse and would make quarantine a legal requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Since you seem to be stating all the 'facts' why not listen to the experts?

They've taken away power to enforce restrictions from the Gardai AND allowed Ryanair to resume travel abroad from July 1st. If it wasn't safe to do so it wouldn't be happening, just accept it :V

Laws requiring passengers arriving in Ireland to tell authorities where they will be quarantining for two weeks after arrival will be extended until July 9.
    Source: Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Just read the article, am I right in saying it’s until 9th July? And that this won’t stop flights leaving Ireland to the destinations that have reopened within the EU like Spain and Italy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Furryglove

Carol25 wrote: »
    Just read the article, am I right in saying it’s until 9th July? And that this won’t stop flights leaving Ireland to the destinations that have reopened within the EU like Spain and Italy?

I’m looking at flying out the 7th of July to Tenerife for week, Ryanair only operating the flight

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im flying to Spain early July. One way as Im going to spend the summer there. There are far less cases in the area I visit. The local hospital hasn't seen a case of C19 since May 5th. Its safer than Ireland, if transmission is your concern.

Spain opening to the EU from June 21st.

Quarantine on return will be long gone by the time I coming back to Ireland. Its not mandatory anyway, filling the form is.

Btw, Ireland is going against of the evidence and guidance from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) who have published report on travelling in the EU. They have stated there is no scientific evidence to justify keeping borders closed in the EU for EU travellers beyond end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

faceman wrote: »
    Im flying to Spain early July. One way as Im going to spend the summer there. There are far less cases in the area I visit. The local hospital hasn't seen a case of C19 since May 5th. Its safer than Ireland, if transmission is your concern.

Spain opening to the EU from June 21st.

Quarantine on return will be long gone by the time I coming back to Ireland. Its not mandatory anyway, filling the form is.

Btw, Ireland is going against of the evidence and guidance from the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) who have published report on travelling in the EU. They have stated there is no scientific evidence to justify keeping borders closed in the EU for EU travellers beyond end of June.

Same here. Heading to Malaga for a month possibly longer so not too bothered about any 'quarantine' upon return.

Yeah we have to wear masks in crowded places but all bars, restaurants, pools, waterparks etc open at reduced capacity so I'd much rather be on the beach in Spain than at home in the rain in ireland, regardless of how 'different' it will be..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain announced yesterday that travellers will have to pass. 3 health controls at the airport to gain entry.

1. Documentation inspection - proof of where you are staying, where you came from and your contact info. You also have to disclose if you had C19

2. Temperature check

3. Visual inspection of general health

If you fail any of the above you are referred to an onsite medical professional at the airport for further assessment.

Spain has hired additional staff to carry all this out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

585 new cases in spain yesterday , and it will be flooded with brits , not much of a holiday with all that ****e going on

• Advertisement

585 new cases in spain yesterday , and it will be flooded with brits , not much of a holiday with all that ****e going on

Spain’s progress against the virus has been excellent. Outside of Madrid some regions have had days of no cases/deaths. Spain have also had a stricter lockdown than Ireland and current measures in place are enforced. Arguably they have a better policy than Ireland.

That being said, even as an optimist, I’m apprehensive about what will happen when the British arrive. There are strict rules in place around swimming pools in communities and social distancing. The rules up to now have been so strict that we locked our community pool because the risk of fines for non conformance is high.

Whether that strict enforcement will remain in some areas given the open arm welcome of tourists is yet to be seen

Oh and Brits are free to come and go to
    Ireland as they please too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement