Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

faceman wrote: »
    You really have a bee in your bonnet. What’s really going on here?

my last parent possibly dying from imported **** that's not necessary , so someone can get a bit of sun .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

my last parent possibly dying from imported **** that's not necessary , so someone can get a bit of sun .

I’m very sorry to hear that. I also lost a close relative during all the pandemic and can appreciate how difficult it is. With all due respect, this is probably not the thread to be visiting given it’s going to attract people eager to travel and there’s little any poster can do about it, rightly or wrongly.

I’m not going to debate with you any further on the matter given the circumstances. Condolences to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

Been monitoring Portugal for the past while, seems to be going well overall, really hoping to make it over around the start of August.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I had a one-way ticket to Malaga for a fortnight's time. I was going touring my music, heading up the coast and to the islands. I had eight gigs booked. I was also going to be a support slot for a few friends who live over, crashing on their couches or being put up in nice digs by the bookers. I was planning on seeing where I ended up after a few weeks or months depending on how the financial situation looked.

Context being: I go away somewhere new every year and do this. These holidays end up paying for themselves and I live a fairly extravagant life for a month or two of the summer, then I start to miss Cork and my friends and family so I come home. Last year I went the length and breadth of Scotland and came home in late August with an extra €3k in the bank after a couple of festivals I did.

The airline won't issue a refund because apparently (and contrary to all sound assessment), if you go over and do that there and come back to Ireland afterwards and head away out and meet everyone here, that would be fine?

As far as I'm concerned that money is gone, there's not a hope I'm going. One company that I work for says we have to take 2 weeks of annual leave after we come back so as not to risk the health of others. This policy should be in every business, as a deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

happy you are laughing at your choice . They showed their true colours already, don't rush back from your fab sun holiday .

How's that?

• Advertisement

How's that?

excuse me .What are you saying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

happy you are laughing at your choice . They showed their true colours already, don't rush back from your fab sun holiday .

Is that you master Yoda?

I’m very sorry to hear that. I also lost a close relative during all the pandemic and can appreciate how difficult it is. With all due respect, this is probably not the thread to be visiting given it’s going to attract people eager to travel and there’s little any poster can do about it, rightly or wrongly.

I’m not going to debate with you any further on the matter given the circumstances. Condolences to you and yours.

death normally kills alot of debates

Is that you master Yoda?

is that you crusty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

s1ippy wrote: »
    then I start to miss Cork and my friends and family so I come home.

As far as I'm concerned that money is gone, there's not a hope I'm going. One company that I work for says we have to take 2 weeks of annual leave after we come back so as not to risk the health of others. This policy should be in every business, as a deterrent.

Well, it’s not Cork...

Unfortunately the common element of common sense is somewhat lacking, and the people that need to be worried about would find a way to endanger others no matter what kind of protections you tried to put up around them.
    I heard of a woman coming back from somewhere delighted with herself that she was off to quarantine for the 2 weeks, just nipping into Tesco on the way back from the airport to make sure she had everything she needed. Couldn’t see any issue with it. There’s no list of rules long enough you could give someone like that like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

:D
    is that you crusty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Rapid airline travel brought this effin virus all around the world within a few weeks.

That is the reality. It could do so again. I'm wary, and not afraid to say it, but all other aspects of opening up are fine by me. Travel out of and into Ireland will not end well I think, so on a personal level will watch and wait and have an eye on mid October or so.

Portugal is not doing well in the Lisbon area anyway. Spain is showing new clusters by the day. I dunno anymore. Holohan is also very wary of foreign travel at the minute anyway. What a waste of a lockdown if the virus is brought back in a couple of days when airlines open up again to foreign countries (apart from USA I reckon).

This oul virus has not gone anywhere. It is just waiting for more hosts remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Rapid airline travel brought this effin virus all around the world within a few weeks.That is the reality. It could do so again. I'm wary, and not afraid to say it, but all other aspects of opening up are fine by me. Travel out of and into Ireland will not end well I think, so on a personal level will watch and wait and have an eye on mid October or so.
    Portugal is not doing well in the Lisbon area anyway. Spain is showing new clusters by the day. I dunno anymore. Holohan is also very wary of foreign travel at the minute anyway. What a waste of a lockdown if the virus is brought back in a couple of days when airlines open up again to foreign countries (apart from USA I reckon).

This oul virus has not gone anywhere. It is just waiting for more hosts remember.

Your prerogative completely not to travel, it sounds like you have made your own risk assessment and decided on balance not to leave home. Perhaps the HSE committee/Holohans statements have played a big part in that, everyone has a different way to come to a decision.

Now, in general the virus hasn't changed since we locked down in March, it hasn't gone away and is not likely to disappear completely without a cure...

...... what has changed is that the authorities in Spain and Portugal are containing spikes in cases. Pubs, hotels and restaurants in those countries are adapted to physical distancing and increased hygiene, nightclubs/dancefloors are either closed fully or partially. Beach areas are patrolled by security to ensure physical distancing is maintained according to the markings on beach/pool areas. For me that means it is pretty safe to travel, get outdoors, fresh air, plenty of sun, vitamin D is great for the immune system.

The simple fact is that as an Island nation we can't stay confined here indefinitely, we stopped sending our kids to school, we started to work from home, we gave up our right to travel more than 2k from home, we stopped seeing our friends, our relatives, grandparents etc.

Now 4 months on let's get some travel to our favourite country and learn to live with Covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bladespin wrote: »
    Been monitoring Portugal for the past while, seems to be going well overall, really hoping to make it over around the start of August.

It's starting to look like a trainwreck and they were doing well, I don't know what you monitoring but it's not the cases per 100,000. Parts of it are back on lockdown. The government have started clamping down there again. Can't see our guys giving a green light for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Now 4 months on let's get some travel to our favourite country and learn to live with Covid...

You can't live with covid that's the problem, its a progressive disease. Just look at the % of recovered health workers here, this isn't something you just recover from.
    So ya travel away to your favorite country with the English, sure what could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kanlurk

I think we’ve been living in a safe bubble here for many weeks now and we presume the same mindset will apply in the resorts abroad. However, we haven’t seen firsthand yet what will happen with social distancing when the pubs re-open. Would you enjoy a drink in a bar in Spain at the moment or be constantly wary of other groups of ‘merry’ tourists around you?
    Will you stop your kids playing with other kids on the beach/hotel?. If not, will they be back out playing with the kids in the neighbourhood when they get back-just before school starts again?
    And it’s always stated that we will be only be allowed to travel to ‘safe’ countries where the infection rate is the same..but if Spain is also opening up to higher risk English travellers, you are going to be mingling with them-especially in the closely confined airport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Kanlurk wrote: »
    I think we’ve been living in a safe bubble here for many weeks now and we presume the same mindset will apply in the resorts abroad. However, we haven’t seen firsthand yet what will happen with social distancing when the pubs re-open. Would you enjoy a drink in a bar in Spain at the moment or be constantly wary of other groups of ‘merry’ tourists around you?
    Will you stop your kids playing with other kids on the beach/hotel?. If not, will they be back out playing with the kids in the neighbourhood when they get back-just before school starts again?
    And it’s always stated that we will be only be allowed to travel to ‘safe’ countries where the infection rate is the same..but if Spain is also opening up to higher risk English travellers, you are going to be mingling with them-especially in the closely confined airport.

Spain has strict rules in place in bars and restaurants. Stricter than Ireland. Bars in Spain are safer than Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Spain has strict rules in place in bars and restaurants. Stricter than Ireland. Bars in Spain are safer than Ireland

Exactly, the Spanish and indeed Portuguese police enforce the laws/rules much more strictly than the Gardai..

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2020/06/26/the-costa-lockdown-millions-of-euros-worth-of-fines-handed-out-during-coronavirus-state-of-alarm-in-spains-malaga/

It's starting to look like a trainwreck and they were doing well, I don't know what you monitoring but it's not the cases per 100,000. Parts of it are back on lockdown. The government have started clamping down there again. Can't see our guys giving a green light for travel.

I’m monitoring the regional numbers and bar the major cities things have been going well, expected new reports as cities open, volume of numbers etc. The areas I’m interested in are performing well so far so I’m hopeful. We could go now but I’m holding out for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The toilets in bars in Spain though typically resemble the toilet in Trainspotting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Kanlurk wrote: »

I think this is one of the best contributions on this forum.

It's not about how safe you feel setting off on your holidays but what you bring home and the devastation it will cause to our loved ones.

The toilets in bars in Spain though typically resemble the toilet in Trainspotting.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,739 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Huh?

In the resorts the toilets of bars are generally poor quality, sometimes shared toilets for male and females, very few would be anywhere near the size or standard of those in pubs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

ASOT wrote: »
    Not long now for myself, will be in Alicante and all this time next week.

Have a ball

Especially in the 4or5 star accommodation......

Ridiculous comment.

In the resorts the toilets of bars are generally poor quality, sometimes shared toilets for male and females, very few would be anywhere near the size or standard of those in pubs in Ireland.

You’re going to the wrong places, I’ve encountered the good, bad and downright horrific here, there and everywhere, but you can usually tell before you enter; so easily avoided. Plus doubt many are travelling for a ‘bar’ holiday at the moment more a quiet getaway. Though there’s always some.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Great idea go on holidays,be in close contact with people possibly from high infected countries. Bring the virus home and spread it around the place again.Country locked down again and people start cribbing and crying again just so they can have their week in the sun. We had fantastic weather during lock down. Absolute clowns, greedy people nothing else.

Very sad to know you lost a parent possibly just so someone else could hve a good time. Sorry for you loss

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Great idea go on holidays,be in close contact with people possibly from high infected countries. Bring the virus home and spread it around the place again.Country locked down again and people start cribbing and crying again just so they can have their week in the sun. We had fantastic weather during lock down. Absolute clowns, greedy people nothing else.

So if it's safe to go somewhere and our government has said so, you consider them people "greedy"???

Think you're slightly jealous and have a touch of begrudge there pal.

• Advertisement

Manc_Red wrote: »
    So if it's safe to go somewhere and our government has said so, you consider them people "greedy"???

Think you're slightly jealous and have a touch of begrudge there pal.

Bit of common sense,which everyone in the country knows the government have zero of.Why would you risk bringing something home to a family member or just an average joe soap your cross paths with in the shop. Not one bit of begrudge by me. Just cant see why people cant stay at home for one year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement