Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spain this summer (MOD WARNING IN POST 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pinklady09

Anyone got any idea why Spain is not in this list? It was tweeted by the Department of health this evening, it’s a slide from their Covid briefing this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Ive read that sometimes planes can develop problems due to inactivity. I'm a nervous flier and this worries me more than catching Covid on them lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Pinklady09 wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea why Spain is not in this list? It was tweeted by the Department of health this evening, it’s a slide from their Covid briefing this evening

Because they saw Ryanair’s sales and wanted to annoy people dreaming of holidays...oh & Michael O’Leary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Ive read that sometimes planes can develop problems due to inactivity. I'm a nervous flier and this worries me more than catching Covid on them lol.

Your biggest regret may be bringing a renewed outbreak of Covid-19 back with you to Ireland. The advice is strongly to avoid unnecessary travel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

GreyEagle wrote: »
    Your biggest regret may be bringing a renewed outbreak of Covid-19 back with you to Ireland. The advice is strongly to avoid unnecessary travel.

yep it's how all this **** started

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭JimmyChew

Pinklady09 wrote: »

That is interesting... Surely they would be mid table if not higher up 🀔

I was maybe thinking about 6 or 8 weeks time personally so wind your neck back in, travel police and find someone else to give out to.

I was maybe thinking about 6 or 8 weeks time personally so wind your neck back in, travel police and find someone else to give out to.

There won't be a vaccine in 6-8 weeks.

Maybe not but the advice/restrictions may very well change, so if that happens ill be listening to the experts not some random person on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

It’s none of your business where people go on their holidays to if they take the necessary precautions. Where are you going yourself? Tony and George told you to staycation on the news so let’s hear what you’re doing. Living in fear perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

You have to laugh at these people who tell you not to go away on holidays when its been deemed safe to do so.

Begrudgers

Of course it is your decision whether or not to travel abroad this summer. Once you are fully aware that the advice given by NPHET is strongly against such non-essential travel. The risk of re-importing the virus is much higher if you choose to ignore that advice. The responsibility is yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Manc_Red

I'll be heading to Majorca in August only if its ok to do so. Anyone who thinks that's wrong is only a naysayer or a begrudger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Of course it is your decision whether or not to travel abroad this summer. Once you are fully aware that the advice given by NPHET is strongly against such non-essential travel. The risk of re-importing the virus is much higher if you choose to ignore that advice. The responsibility is yours.

The advice of the NPHET is not aligned with ECDC or with WHO. In fact research based evidence by WHO shows:

“...evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions. Furthermore, restrictions may interrupt needed aid and technical support, may disrupt businesses, and may have negative social and economic effects on the affected countries. However, in certain circumstances, measures that restrict the movement of people may prove temporarily useful, such as in settings with few international connections and limited response capacities.

Travel measures that significantly interfere with international traffic may only be justified at the beginning of an outbreak, as they may allow countries to gain time, even if only a few days, to rapidly implement effective preparedness measures. Such restrictions must be based on a careful risk assessment, be proportionate to the public health risk, be short in duration, and be reconsidered regularly as the situation evolves.

Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact.”

faceman wrote: »
    The advice of the NPHET is not aligned with ECDC or with WHO. In fact research based evidence by WHO shows:

“...evidence shows that restricting the movement of people and goods during public health emergencies is ineffective in most situations and may divert resources from other interventions. Furthermore, restrictions may interrupt needed aid and technical support, may disrupt businesses, and may have negative social and economic effects on the affected countries. However, in certain circumstances, measures that restrict the movement of people may prove temporarily useful, such as in settings with few international connections and limited response capacities.

Travel measures that significantly interfere with international traffic may only be justified at the beginning of an outbreak, as they may allow countries to gain time, even if only a few days, to rapidly implement effective preparedness measures. Such restrictions must be based on a careful risk assessment, be proportionate to the public health risk, be short in duration, and be reconsidered regularly as the situation evolves.

Travel bans to affected areas or denial of entry to passengers coming from affected areas are usually not effective in preventing the importation of cases but may have a significant economic and social impact.”

Interesting quote. Could you please supply a reference to exactly where this supposed quote came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The advice of the NPHET is not aligned with ECDC or with WHO. In fact research based evidence by WHO shows

The WHO don't like to get involved in recommending travel bans, bad enough that Trump has already cut funding, imagine if the recommended travel bans with many other countries, they'd get no co-operation whatsoever from those countries and couldn't function at all without it..

Holohan and his HSE staff don't care in the slightest who they offend by recommending not to travel to other countries..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Interesting quote. Could you please supply a reference to exactly where this supposed quote came from?

Direct from the WHO. There are plenty of articles and journals on the WHO website and ECDC website.

https://www.who.int/news-room/articles-detail/updated-who-recommendations-for-international-traffic-in-relation-to-covid-19-outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the rise in cases in Spain continued today. 564 today, 419 yesterday and 400 on Thurs. I know it’s all relative versus total population but it’s the rise that’s the concern. Seems to be mainly confined to a number of clusters rather than community transmission but it’s a worry.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but the rise in cases in Spain continued today. 564 today, 419 yesterday and 400 on Thurs. I know it’s all relative versus total population but it’s the rise that’s the concern. Seems to be mainly confined to a number of clusters rather than community transmission but it’s a worry.

There are currently 12 outbreaks in Spain. They moved pretty fast to lockdown those areas. From the Spanish news:

“ According to Fernando Simón, the director of the Health Ministry’s Coordination Center for Health Alerts, it was a positive sign that Spain is reporting outbreaks “and not community transmission” of Covid-19. “They are occurring in young people, meaning they are milder and transmitted less.” The health official warned, however, that “an outbreak that escapes [detection] for longer could lead to community transmission” of the coronavirus.

Of the detected outbreaks, there are two “which are of real concern,” said Simón, in reference to a cluster in a Red Cross shelter in the southern city of Málaga, and another one among seasonal laborers in Huesca province in Aragón. “These are the two in which we have to show that control has truly been achieved,” he said.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Manc_Red wrote: »
    I'll be heading to Majorca in August only if its ok to do so. Anyone who thinks that's wrong is only a naysayer or a begrudger.

Define ok? Journey to/from airport, in airport, plane, accommodation, shops, bars, restaurants?

If I was going anywhere then in the plane be my biggest concern. After that it is like been here. I prefer to book a villa or small complex than a 200 apartment complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

There are currently 12 outbreaks in Spain. They moved pretty fast to lockdown those areas. From the Spanish news:

“ According to Fernando Simón, the director of the Health Ministry’s Coordination Center for Health Alerts, it was a positive sign that Spain is reporting outbreaks “and not community transmission” of Covid-19. “They are occurring in young people, meaning they are milder and transmitted less.” The health official warned, however, that “an outbreak that escapes [detection] for longer could lead to community transmission” of the coronavirus.

Of the detected outbreaks, there are two “which are of real concern,” said Simón, in reference to a cluster in a Red Cross shelter in the southern city of Málaga, and another one among seasonal laborers in Huesca province in Aragón. “These are the two in which we have to show that control has truly been achieved,” he said.”

Sadly, Spain is now not looking very positive for any green list.

Well, Spain is now doing it’s best to stay off any green list 🙄

Ok the contrary. It’s widely accepted and publicised that we will see waves and clusters around Europe. Instead of nationwide lockdowns, governments are instead handling outbreak locally, with contact testing, localised lockdowns etc.

Will Ireland follow suit when we have an inevitable outbreak? I doubt it. I can’t see the government locking down housing estates or even apartment blocks when an inevitable outbreak occurs. Ireland will quickly have a huge issue to deal with if we don’t.

Ok the contrary. It’s widely accepted and publicised that we will see waves and clusters around Europe. Instead of nationwide lockdowns, governments are instead handling outbreak locally, with contact testing, localised lockdowns etc.

Will Ireland follow suit when we have an inevitable outbreak? I doubt it. I can’t see the government locking down housing estates or even apartment blocks when an inevitable outbreak occurs. Ireland will quickly have a huge issue to deal with if we don’t.

yep so block travel for next 3 months will sort this all out no ?

yep so block travel for next 3 months will sort this all out no ?

Why would you do that? It goes against all the research evidence on shutting down travel. Are you suggesting we do something that goes against scientific research? It’s been posted previously in multiple threads. There are articles and journals about it on the WHO and ECDC websites.

Why would you do that? It goes against all the research evidence on shutting down travel. Are you suggesting we do something that goes against scientific research? It’s been posted previously in multiple threads. There are articles and journals about it on the WHO and ECDC websites.

good man say you would vote for Trump too , hope you and the rest here enjoy your odd holidays aboard . Can not see the enjoyment of traveling now . common sense would tell you not to travel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not long now for myself, will be in Alicante and all this time next week.

good man say you would vote for Trump too , hope you and the rest here enjoy your odd holidays aboard . Can not see the enjoyment of traveling now . common sense would tell you not to travel now.

Ok thanks will do. I tried to for Trump but because I’m not American I’m not allowed so I voted for the Green Party instead. :p

Ok thanks will do. I tried to for Trump but because I’m not American I’m not allowed so I voted for the Green Party instead. :p

happy you are laughing at your choice . They showed their true colours already, don't rush back from your fab sun holiday .

• Advertisement

happy you are laughing at your choice . They showed their true colours already, don't rush back from your fab sun holiday .

You really have a bee in your bonnet. What’s really going on here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement