Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

New coffee shop on Wine Street just caught my eye. Oscars, just before you turn into the Quayside pedestrian street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,032 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    New coffee shop on Wine Street just caught my eye. Oscars, just before you turn into the Quayside pedestrian street.
    Saw it last week alright.. quite easily missed I thought. Almost walked past it, but they may not have signage while I was going by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

I heard that the guy from Café de Paris was moving to a spot around there, might be that? If it is, it's a much better part of Quayside to be on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I heard that the guy from Café de Paris was moving to a spot around there, might be that? If it is, it's a much better part of Quayside to be on!
    it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

I see Feehilys Bar (aka McCullaghs) on the corner of Stephen St/Bridge St is being refurbished into a new bar - Lillies. At least I presume it's a bar the sign says something like join us for a quiet drink. Hope they don't mean coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Plazaman wrote: »
    I see Feehilys Bar (aka McCullaghs) on the corner of Stephen St/Bridge St is being refurbished into a new bar - Lillies. At least I presume it's a bar the sign says something like join us for a quiet drink. Hope they don't mean coffee.

http://www.facebook.com/lillies.sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Did they say when they are offically opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

Cavanaghs O'Connell St, will it re-open ever again? the fleadh? It would be great to see anything in that space after so long

Cavanaghs O'Connell St, will it re-open ever again? the fleadh? It would be great to see anything in that space after so long

At this rate, by August, there will be plenty of empty stores in O'Connell street that may be available for rent for Fleadh weekend.

On a side note, for the 1990 Fleadh, I remember a guy taking out the windows of his house in Union Street and making a ton of sandwiches to "make a fortune". I think he sold three all weekend. Not as nice as my apple tart that I got beside the old Gaiety and ate with a pint of Guinness in the Bohemian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

"Ali's Kebab Shop and traditional takeaway" opening soon where Borza used to be on Mail Coach Road according to sign in the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Any truth in the H&M rumours?

Where for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭sligoface

You're right fillefatalle, the marketing for that new pub Lillies is not coming off well.

I don't like the name, sounds weak, you want your local to have a good sturdy name. Also, I had assumed it was Lily's, as in the possessive form of the womans name, when I heard it said, as many pubs are named that way (for example: Foley's, Furey's).But the signs and facebook say Lillies, which would be the plural form of the flower called the lily, and that's an odd thing to call a pub. And even then it's spelled incorrectly, should be with one L as 'Lilies'. Lily's looks much better typed out than Lillies as well IMO.

And the logo is just some random frame from shutterstock or somewhere similar.

Also word of mouth in town is really important and the rumor was that it will be cocktail bar, which sorta fits the name but tbh I don't think many people round here want to pay through the nose for weak sugary drinks which is what you get when you order cocktails on nights out, and those drinks take ages to serve as well. So I wish them well but what I'm seeing and hearing so far doesn't appeal to me. Though maybe the wimmins will take to it, and if they do, the men will be in to be sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Slideways

sligoface wrote: »
    You're right fillefatalle, the marketing for that new pub Lillies is not coming off well.

I don't like the name, sounds weak, you want your local to have a good sturdy name. Also, I had assumed it was Lily's, as in the possessive form of the womans name, when I heard it said, as many pubs are named that way (for example: Foley's, Furey's).But the signs and facebook say Lillies, which would be the plural form of the flower called the lily, and that's an odd thing to call a pub. And even then it's spelled incorrectly, should be with one L as 'Lilies'. Lily's looks much better typed out than Lillies as well IMO.

Also word of mouth in town is really important and the rumor was that it will be cocktail bar, which sorta fits the name but tbh I don't think many people round here want to pay through the nose for weak sugary drinks which is what you get when you order cocktails on nights out, and those drinks take ages to serve as well. So I wish them well but what I'm seeing and hearing so far doesn't appeal to me. Though maybe the wimmins will take to it, and if they do, the men will be in to be sure!

Probably some take on Lillie's Bordello in Dublin. Funnily enough I asked the bouncers in Toffs one night if he thought he was on the door of Lillies the way he was carrying on but thats a rant for another day

Considering the rate in which high street shops are closing down in town, I highly doubt it.

sligoface wrote: »

Could be a deliberate tactic to nancify the place to deter the usual degenrates that are barred from everywhere else that flock to new pubs to chance their arm and test out the water. A fluffy cocktail bar won't attract that kind of clientele (hopefully).

I'm sure they'll have draft beers though, won't they?

Could be a deliberate tactic to nancify the place to deter the usual degenrates that are barred from everywhere else that flock to new pubs to chance their arm and test out the water. A fluffy cocktail bar won't attract that kind of clientele (hopefully).

I'm sure they'll have draft beers though, won't they?

Being close to Shenanigans, and Toffs, can imigine it may be a young crowd. Still nice to see a new place opening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I would love to have a really nice cocktail bar, but good proper cocktails lots of choice. It's not something you'd go to often but would be nice to have it there :)can't imagine how that kind of business would survive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Lillie's. It's gonna be a tough job to still be open by Christmas. Only chance in my opinion is students or offering something extra special to attract a different kinda customer. Good luck to them whatever it is.

• Advertisement

sari wrote: »
    I would love to have a really nice cocktail bar, but good proper cocktails lots of choice. It's not something you'd go to often but would be nice to have it there :)can't imagine how that kind of business would survive though

Yes a dedicated cocktail bar in town will be a hard sell, considering cocktails are typically €6 upwards. I had a cocktail in 5th on Teeling shortly after it reopened and when I asked for a whiskey sour the barman began making a manhattan and was going to add whiskey to it instead! I had to point his error.. A cocktail place would probably work if it was offered in a pub that was already in business.

Is it definitely a cocktail bar or are people just going by the rumour? Fairly sure they had live music in there tonight and last night, can't imagine much of that in a fancy cocktail bar.

Was in Lillie's tonight.. nice little place, good atmosphere and they were selling a fair few cocktails while I was there!

Only thing I'd say is the smell of fresh paint and varnish in the place was a bit much..

Some nice shots on the wall - mostly music based. Myself and a mate were particularly intrigued by a photo of Phil Lynott and some of Thin Lizzy in a row boat where The Glasshouse would be now. Very cool shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

The landlord of the old bistro on o'connell st. is apparently opening an Italian restaurant there with wood burning oven in May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Bodidly wrote: »
    The landlord of the old bistro on o'connell st. is apparently opening an Italian restaurant there with wood burning oven in May

There's a good few of Itailian restaurants in sligo in which there should be a lotta variety that hasn't been to sligo before. Although I have to say bravo to the Itailians for lifting Sligo's spirits.

Vlove wrote: »
    There's a good few of Itailian restaurants in sligo in which there should be a lotta variety that hasn't been to sligo before. Although I have to say bravo to the Itailians for lifting Sligo's spirits.

How many are genuine italian [owned] restaurants though? Rugantino trumps them all by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Same as what was there before then and now moved around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭rocky raccoon

We'll soon be tripping over pizzas on the streets there will be that many pizza places in town.

Does anyone remember the Simpsons episode where Bart goes into a mall to have his ear pierced and by the time he leaves, all the shops in the mall have been taken over by Starbucks coffee shops? Could the same happen with Italian places in Sligo?

Ah well, maybe when they open they might be able to take your correct order the first time you give it to them, unlike Robertos where you come back 10 minutes later after placing your order and they look at you like you have 2 heads. Then theres a conflab and an arguement between the staff who ignore you for another 5 minutes then the girl who originally took your order (and looks like she has no desire to be there) eventually says there was a mix up with the order. Eventually when you get your pizza and take it home, it is the wrong order and probably theres some other sap standing in Robertos continuing the cycle.

• Advertisement

Ah well, maybe when they open they might be able to take your correct order the first time you give it to them, unlike Robertos where you come back 10 minutes later after placing your order and they look at you like you have 2 heads. Then theres a conflab and an arguement between the staff who ignore you for another 5 minutes then the girl who originally took your order (and looks like she has no desire to be there) eventually says there was a mix up with the order. Eventually when you get your pizza and take it home, it is the wrong order and probably theres some other sap standing in Robertos continuing the cycle.

I've fallen out of love with the place too - too many orders of undercooked chips and when I complained I was told that's how they did them there, no apologies. I won't be returning.

thebuzz wrote: »
    "Ali's Kebab Shop and traditional takeaway" opening soon where Borza used to be on Mail Coach Road according to sign in the window.
    Noticed this was now open when I passed by earlier. Someone go and test it out before I have to :).

Noticed this was now open when I passed by earlier. Someone go and test it out before I have to :).

I second this proposal. Where's Urbansea when you need him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

There seemed to be something going on in the old Broderick's store in tesco arcade today, some of the windows have been cleared and noticed men in vis-vests inside. Maybe cex coming at long last?

I also heard there are plans to open a SVP shop on Harmony Hill later this year.

Naydy wrote: »
    There seemed to be something going on in the old Broderick's store in tesco arcade today, some of the windows have been cleared and noticed men in vis-vests inside. Maybe cex coming at long last?

I also heard there are plans to open a SVP shop on Harmony Hill later this year.

It speaks volumes when the only retail businesses opening in Sligo are charity shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

It speaks volumes when the only retail businesses opening in Sligo are charity shops...

Very true :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I see Dealz are advertising for staff in Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

The Body Shop - it never has any customers and its a relic from the 80 right on brigade. Why is it still open? How is it still open?

I have a fair idea, but am not going to post it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

Cex in Tesco arcade soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

The Body Shop - it never has any customers and its a relic from the 80 right on brigade. Why is it still open? How is it still open?

I have a fair idea, but am not going to post it here.

Ah go on.... Could be interesting!

I see Dealz are advertising for staff in Sligo.
    Where are they advertising and where is that shop going to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Where are they advertising and where is that shop going to be?

It's on Donedeal. Don't know which shop, they could have their pick of so many!

Where is Dealz meant to be going in to?

Where is Dealz meant to be going in to?

Like was said above, they have their pick of empty units in Sligo!

prodsc wrote: »

Noticed that today when they were continuing with the fit out. Entrance on to O'Connell street, and into the Arcade. Nice paint job facing the street, makes the place look alot tidier. Also noticed the Liber book shop has had a paint job as well.

prodsc wrote: »
    That was a bloody long time coming..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Basq wrote: »

They were due to open before the Christmas but apparently asbestos was found during renovations and this held everything up unfortunately.

Link

Carl Scarpa and Wallis both confirmed for Lyons department store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Are CEX ever opening? What's the hold up now? I'd have thought once the paint wasdry that they'd be in but still wasn't open on monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭tommyamnesia

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Are CEX ever opening? What's the hold up now? I'd have thought once the paint wasdry that they'd be in but still wasn't open on monday.

And I believe people were waiting hours last week to be interviewed in Glasshouse for Dealz but interviewers never turned up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Something about ESB lines are halting the opening of CeX.
    They were supposed to open Monday three weeks ago, but there is some delay with electricity apparently.
    Should be within the next two weeks, or so it's said.

Or at least, that's what I heard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement