Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dalkey House of Horrors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Ah yeah, gotcha, and yeah personally I'd say there's very good reason for that.

I have nothing to do with the Examiner but I know that it is a respected newspaper and that the journalist involved is an excellent reporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,808 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

mhge wrote: »
    Why a Cork newspaper in the first place?

It's a national newspaper

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

I have nothing to do with the Examiner but I know that it is a respected newspaper and that the journalist involved is an excellent reporter.

I have nothing to do with the Irish Examiner, and I also happen to not have made any comment to the contrary of the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I absolutely respect the Examiner and I know it's a national paper, it just felt like an odd choice to me as other newspapers are closer, more practical to meet, fact check etc and the Examiner's circulation in South Dublin (i.e. his community) is probably much lower than the other two I mentioned. If I wanted to run a reputation saving campaign in my local area I'd try to maximise the impact not limit it. I digress though!

I absolutely respect the Examiner and I know it's a national paper, it just felt like an odd choice to me as other newspapers are closer, more practical to meet, fact check etc and the Examiner's circulation in South Dublin (i.e. his community) is probably much lower than the other two I mentioned. If I wanted to run a reputation saving campaign in my local area I'd try to maximise the impact not limit it. I digress though!

I definitely agree re it being an odd choice, and agree with the reasons you mention, especially given his aim to save his reputation and not 'leave this legacy behind him'.

Pretty certain there'll be some reason though, whatever it might be. There'll be some reason it was chosen, and not others, or it choose to run the story and not others, and realistically probably only Frank Mullen and / or the papers know.

You definitely do make an important point, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I don't think there is anything odd about the choice. I understand the journalist willing to do the piece was Mick Clifford and he just happens to write for the Examiner. Plus Clifford was on RTE Radio One the same day discussing the article which gave a link to a wider audience & to the printed article.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You may find this timeline useful:
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/12/a-dalkey-archive/

So far Cynthia Owens has had success in proving large areas of her story. When it started and she was still known as "Niamh" her family denied any abuse, that she was ever pregnant and suggested that she's making it all up after attending regression therapy.

It still shocks me every time I read it

It still shocks me every time I read it

Same. I started reading it the other night and stopped upon remembering that I had read it fully at least once before, and quite how hard and shocking a read is.

I had a childhood full of neglect and abuse that resulted in me developing PTSD, and while I am a big advocate of not comparing to others, i still feel that what i experienced is a world apart from what Cynthia went through.

One truly remarkable lady and I hate that she's been treated as she has all these years, and the cover-ups etc - as if what she went through as a child wasn't bad enough, she seems to have been let down so badly as an adult, and this will no doubt have had a massive impact in itself.

I hope so much that she and Noeleen get the justice they deserve, but after all this time it's hard to be optimistic on that front.

It's not even remotely the same, but I hope she takes some comfort in knowing so many are behind her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

To be fair, I grew up in South Dublin and worked in a Statoil/Topaz garage for a while - true that the other two get more buys, but in my experience the Examiner was still pretty popular, maybe 3rd most of the broadsheets and 5-6th most in total... seemed more popular among the 'serious news' fans than those looking for something to browse through. I never actually knew it was Munster-based/originated until this thread, to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

The indo and the times are gone very sensationalist completing with the dailymail most days. I consider the indo a tabloid these days and the times on the way there. So far, I've no issues with the examiner .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/05/12/to-clear-a-good-name/

Just reading this after reading Justine McCarthy's bit in the Sunday Times today.

Makes for unbelievable reading.
    The guy Cynthia Owen accuses of being in the paedophile ring a was a prominent guard (previously involved in the GRA and a Garda protest so with some influence i'd say) and involved in the Dalkey soccer club.
    So basically a pillar of the community.
    So why hasn't he sued for defamation.

Also, learning that there was/is a tunnel from one of the convents to Dalkey Island is chilling.
    Is this true anyone know.

I hate humanity more and more every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭ronjo

Just reading this after reading Justine McCarthy's bit in the Sunday Times today.

The guy Cynthia Owen accuses of being in the paedophile ring a was a prominent guard (previously involved in the GRA and a Garda protest so with some influence i'd say) and involved in the Dalkey soccer club.
    So basically a pillar of the community.

Also, learning that there was/is a tunnel from one of the convents to Dalkey Island is chilling.

I remember going down to that tunnel a few times as kids. It was blocked off after 100m or so but it certainly existed (this would have been mid 80s)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

So a pillar of the community.

For me this fact is telling. Why would you allow someone to accuse you publically on Facebook of being a rapist & paedophile and not sue for defamation? Instead the former Garda went to the media to proclaim his innocence. If he is innocent of these allegations why is he not pursuing legal avenues? Surely thats what anyone whose reputation is being attacked would do?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭guideanna

Very good point Muahahaha, also on reading the story does anyone know why he resigned from the Guards..right before his pension would have been coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

What's the latest on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Two of the ex coppers have since died.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Patrick Nevin the vicious multiple rapist is Cynthia’s Owens son. He is due to be sentenced soon. This is not the son she raised. Patrick Nevin was raised by his father in Denmark. This must be very hard for Cynthia. Was Patrick Nevin’s father a boyfriend of Cynthia’s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

wellwhynot wrote: »
    Patrick Nevin the vicious multiple rapist is Cynthia’s Owens son. He is due to be sentenced soon. This is not the son she raised. Patrick Nevin was raised by his father in Denmark. This must be very hard for Cynthia. Was Patrick Nevin’s father a boyfriend of Cynthia’s?
    Jesus Christ, can that woman ever catch a break...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Jesus Christ, can that woman ever catch a break...

Seems not. It is an absolute disgrace that no one has ever been brought to justice for what the poor woman has suffered. How triggering for her son to turn out so evil like her father. I hope this does not stop her fight for justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/1015/1171712-noleen-murphy-appeal/

Today, 47 years later, the Gardai issue there first ever appeal for the public's help.

A lot of the people that Cynthia named in authority as suspects have died in recent years.

A coincidence? chances of new leads seem slim, but it would be nice if the truth came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Happy4all wrote: »

Today, 47 years later, the Gardai issue there first ever appeal for the public's help.

A lot of the people that Cynthia named in authority as suspects have died in recent years.

A coincidence? chances of new leads seem slim, but it would be nice if the truth came out.
    When people get into their late 70s and 80s they are inclined to die. Peoples character has been taken by someone clearly mentally unstable without a whit of evidence

Happy4all wrote: »

None of the Gardai now were serving then. In fact most probable weren't even alive. You can't blame the current investigators for what happened in 1973

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Edgware wrote: »
    When people get into their late 70s and 80s they are inclined to die. Peoples character has been taken by someone clearly mentally unstable without a whit of evidence

What are you insinuating?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Edgware wrote: »

An inquiry into the garda 1973 murder investigation was carried out by senior counsel Patrick Gageby following the inquest, which found that "most of the surrounding documents and exhibits, some time after that date, were lost or mislaid." The missing evidence included blood samples, the bin bag and blood-stained sanitary towels and newspaper found with the baby's body.

The garda lost the evidence in a case were two garda were accused. Looks a bit suspect and certainly does the opposite of clear their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Not related to this particular story..but gives an insight of what we were like as a society in the past .

I grew up near a small town in the country. Around 1990..As I was of the age of 15+ I became aware of the very infrequent reference (subtle/hinting) of a few men in the town that you would want to avoid.....
    These hints as I say we're very subtle and would come from adult men. Like
    "watch out fer dat fella"...whyso?
    'wink'.
    Sort of a thing.
    Over the last 10 years it's slowly coming out.. abuse....suicide of victims... alcoholism.
    A Town where people pride themselves about knowing what everyone has for breakfast. And nothing done to protect the kids?
    It beggars belief.

lalababa wrote: »
    Not related to this particular story..but gives an insight of what we were like as a society in the past .

I grew up near a small town in the country. Around 1990..As I was of the age of 15+ I became aware of the very infrequent reference (subtle/hinting) of a few men in the town that you would want to avoid.....
    'wink'.
    Sort of a thing.
    Over the last 10 years it's slowly coming out.. abuse....suicide of victims... alcoholism.
    A Town where people pride themselves about knowing what everyone has for breakfast. And nothing done to protect the kids?
    It beggars belief.

You could easily be talking about Laragh there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was there ever any investigation into how a child got pregnant? Obvious mechanics aside, that is a crime in itself. We really do have a terrible track record when it comes to kids.

The tide is turning…

Was there ever any investigation into how a child got pregnant? Obvious mechanics aside, that is a crime in itself. We really do have a terrible track record when it comes to kids.

The evidence was "mislaid" by the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The evidence was "mislaid" by the garda.

I don’t really want to go back over the case but I’m sure I read that there was an independent investigation into the case by a legal expert but key figures weren’t interviewed and it “smacked” of another whitewashing.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

lalababa wrote: »

'wink'.
    Sort of a thing.
    It beggars belief.

Yep, back then the Local Paedo was just a part of any town like The Village Idiot or Crazy Old Lady

Advertisement