Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dalkey House of Horrors

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Was watching a programme last night about how British TV was less PC and sensitive in the '80s. Some of it was hilarious, and obviously no malice was meant.
    But there was a bit on Blue Peter in 1981 about Victorian underwear (?) - corsets and bustiers and the like. They had various females modelling them, including pre-pubescent girls. :confused:
    It was bloody weird and uncomfortable viewing. I genuinely think it was completely innocent though - in fairness, it was Blue Peter (I'm not letting the BBC as a whole off the hook considering what emerged years later, btw). But it did indicate an acceptance and normalisation of questionable attitudes in relation to young girls.

Then there was the page 3 bit. Up to the early 2000s, the minimum age to pose was 16. There would be countdowns to the dates when certain page 3 wannabes would turn 16. There was footage of a programme from the '80s about a 15-year-old girl who wanted to become a page 3 and glamour model, and her MOTHER brought her along to the auditions. :confused:

Now obviously none of these are rape and molestation, but still, part of a very inappropriate outlook that made it be deemed less serious to grope/perv on a young girl back in the day.
    Thankfully things have changed in that regard, but I would say the attitude is still as blasé as that in relation to women perving on young boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Is it true that some of them would be household names? (Best not to name names for legal reasons-PM if you want).
    I could name atleast two right now. An ex Garda and a local drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

mackeire wrote: »
    I could name atleast two right now. An ex Garda and a local drunk.

Same here. Don't worry obviously I won't.

steddyeddy wrote:
    Same here. Don't worry obviously I won't.
    I'd imagine one could get into some trouble by naming these horrible people or atleast a ban from boards ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

Remember this from the time it happened. Had friends in and from the area at the time. The father was drinking in public with guards before and after this all became public. That's the only solid bit of info I was every told. Doesn't necessarily mean a paedo ring but it certainly doesn't look good does it? The fact that they continued to go drinking with him in public after it all became public knowledge was the bit that seemed most shocking at the time. As though they were above even considering how it might look.

• Advertisement

Yea they almost went out of their way to be friendly to him in public. The best I can wish them is a quick death.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As I opined before it really beggars belief that this case hasn't been reopened. It stinks of a major scandal and a cover up.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've just removed a post that listed a number of people as being members of a paedophile ring. If you want to post potentially libellous articles, please feel free to do so on your own social media pages or blogs. However Boards cannot accept posts of this nature as due to the archaic Irish libel laws, the site, rather than the poster is responsible for the content posted. Anyone posting this article again will find themselves sitebanned.

Zaph wrote: »
    I've just removed a post that listed a number of people as being members of a paedophile ring. If you want to post potentially libellous articles, please feel free to do so on your own social media pages or blogs. However Boards cannot accept posts of this nature as due to the archaic Irish libel laws, the site, rather than the poster is responsible for the content posted. Anyone posting this article again will find themselves sitebanned.

Sorry about that, the post was originally posted by sindy murphy herself and also says that she is legally allowed to expose the names!
    I'm sure you'll read it elsewhere soon anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mackeire wrote: »
    Sorry about that, the post was originally posted by sindy murphy herself and also says that she is legally allowed to expose the names!
    I'm sure you'll read it elsewhere soon anyway.

I've no idea who she is (I haven't followed this story at all) or what her legal status is regarding posting those names, but I'm afraid that posting them here potentially opens Boards up to all sorts of legal issues. If other sites with deeper pockets want to take that chance they're welcome to, but my only concern is the welfare of this site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Cynthia Owen (formerly Sindy Murphy) is the daughter who survived, the mother of the murdered baby. She is posting names and photos of official suspects in this case on social media. She wants to warn parents as well as find other victims, and from the articles she posted it seems that these men are indeed under active investigation.
    I hope it's not against the guidelines to post the above, with no names of course. Official investigation activity seems to be a good development in this old case.

mhge wrote: »
    Cynthia Owen (formerly Sindy Murphy) is the daughter who survived, the mother of the murdered baby. She is posting names and photos of official suspects in this case on social media. She wants to warn parents as well as find other victims, and from the articles she posted it seems that these men are indeed under active investigation.
    I hope it's not against the guidelines to post the above, with no names of course. Official investigation activity seems to be a good development in this old case.

Yep several people have been interview again as the case is being re-opened. I'm actually bowing out of this thread with crossed fingers that something does come of this. Best of luck Cynthia.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Keep this open

No names

I sincerely hope that justice is finally served in this horrendous case. I wish Cynthia and her siblings well in their quest for justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niamhtwelve

Are the names of the six available elsewhere online? It's very unsettling to live so close to them and feel like they are in our midst

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

The names and their photos were on Cynthia's FB page but are now taken off, probably due to the defamation laws here. If you are from the area you'll definitely recognise some of them.
    Wonder if anybody took a screengrab ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Broadsheet published a good timeline of events today. They finish with words from Cynthia.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/12/a-dalkey-archive/

Really is a terrifying scandal

Are the names of the six available elsewhere online? It's very unsettling to live so close to them and feel like they are in our midst

You're not the first person to ask that. Dalkey likely has several paedophiles living in the area. Glad I don't live there anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Dodge wrote: »
    Broadsheet published a good timeline of events today. They finish with words from Cynthia.

I feel sick reading that. Those poor kids. I hope the people named that are still alive are brought to justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Zaph wrote: »

I think the libel laws are being applied selectively...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Dodge wrote: »

read that the other day, I felt sick to the stomach. Apart from the actual details of the case the case itself has been before the DPP NINE times and on every occasion the DPP didn't proceed. Of course in little oul Ireland our DPP never tells the public (or even the victime) why the case isn't proceeding. It must make the victims of this paedo ring feel horrible. Also the three Gardai accused must also have some sway with people in the DPP that the case has never been heard. These victims need justice and State actors are going out of their way to ensure they never get it. It's disgusting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I was surfing the web in these wee hours when I came across this very sad story about the suicide of a young woman in 2005.

Does anyone remember the Dalkey "house of horrors" case - where a new born baby was allegedly murdered and found by two boys in a plastic bag in a lane way in 1973? Why has justice not been served here? Three members of this family have taken their own life because of the appalling suffering they endured as children.

My blood ran cold when I read the article below.:(

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/a-beautiful-life-lost-to-utter-hell-470344.html

Jesus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Interview Cynthia Owen did on the Late Late a few years back.

Obviously, very sensitive content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Off topic posts removed.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    read that the other day, I felt sick to the stomach. Apart from the actual details of the case the case itself has been before the DPP NINE times and on every occasion the DPP didn't proceed. Of course in little oul Ireland our DPP never tells the public (or even the victime) why the case isn't proceeding. It must make the victims of this paedo ring feel horrible. Also the three Gardai accused must also have some sway with people in the DPP that the case has never been heard. These victims need justice and State actors are going out of their way to ensure they never get it. It's disgusting stuff.

Why is there no investigation into why dpp doesn't press charges? Waiting for whoever it is that has sway does it suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

melissak wrote:
    Why is there no investigation into why dpp doesn't press charges? Waiting for whoever it is that has sway does it suppose.

No doubt it will be done when those involved are dead

The longer this goes on without a proper investigation the more the victims of this appalling case are denied justice.

This case should be at the forefront of the media.

I presume the dun laoighre baby has been dna matched to the mother? Can they find father's dna after this long?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The longer this goes on without a proper investigation the more the victims of this appalling case are denied justice.

This case should be at the forefront of the media.

the establishment "media" do as they are told

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

RTE website shows Crumlin garda station, its not the same case

Advertisement