Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dalkey House of Horrors

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Mr Mullen worked at the Dun Laoghaire garda station. At that very station evidence was "mislaid" and a forged note from a superintendent was placed in the evidence room. I have every sympathy for Mr Mullen and he is innocent until proven guilty, however, the garda in Dun Laoghaire have tampered with evidence in this case. So the Garda are definitely trying to cover something up.

It may have been negligence that was covered up - look at what happened with the hyponatremia deaths in Northern Ireland.

If her surviving siblings were also abused, then why did they deny that the abuse happened at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It may have been negligence that was covered up - look at what happened with the hyponatremia deaths in Northern Ireland.

If her surviving siblings were also abused, then why did they deny that the abuse happened at all?

Negligence doesn't account for evidence dissapearing and a forged note in the evidence room.

She was pregnant at 11. Is that not abusive in your world?

Negligence doesn't account for evidence dissapearing and a forged note in the evidence room.
    I meant the covering up of negligence.

I never even implied it wasn't. But who raped her?

The baby that was found in Dun Laoghaire was not identified at the time.
    Cynthia Owen did not come forward until she was an adult.
    It was not until 2005 that a coroner accepted Cynthias claims.that she was the mother of.the baby.
    Nobody knew at the time, that she was a pregnant 11 year old, or if they did, no-one said anything.
    It was the 70s, unfortunately evidence gathering and storing was not very exact back then.

bubblypop wrote: »
    The baby that was found in Dun Laoghaire was not identified at the time.
    Cynthia Owen did not come forward until she was an adult.
    It was not until 2005 that a coroner accepted Cynthias claims.that she was the mother of.the baby.
    Nobody knew at the time, that she was a pregnant 11 year old, or if they did, no-one said anything.
    It was the 70s, unfortunately evidence gathering and storing was not very exact back then.

We're not talking about not storing evidence but storing it, losing it and forging a note and leaving it in the evidence room.

• Advertisement

A particularly disturbing tactic of abusers is to spread the idea that the victim is a liar. So now in the eyes of other adults the victim is young and a liar and has no chance of rescue or being believed.

I have first hand experience of not being believed. It wasn't anything like the horrors others have gone through but it tore me apart and the loss afterwards was immense.

I ended up doubting myself and even wishing I had let it go. In fact there's a part of me today that still asks myself that question, "what was I thinking, if only I kept quiet".

Abuse comes in all manner of guises but the perpetrators tend to be cut from the same manipulative and controlling cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I have first hand experience of not being believed. It wasn't anything like the horrors others have gone through but it tore me apart and the loss afterwards was immense.

I ended up doubting myself and even wishing I had let it go. In fact there's a part of me today that still asks myself that question, "what was I thinking, if only I kept quiet".

Abuse comes in all manner of guises but the perpetrators tend to be cut from the same manipulative and controlling cloth.

Completely identify with this. It took me nearly 30 years to fully acknowledge what happened to me because those adults who knew had minimised it so much I started to believe it. I hope you are in a better place now.

Sorry to hear you both went through hell. You're extremely tough people and I hope you have found happiness.

A friend of mine was abused by her mentally disabled brother as a little girl. She's been afraid to tell her mother about it since as she thinks it "would break her heart".

eviltwin wrote: »
    Completely identify with this. It took me nearly 30 years to fully acknowledge what happened to me because those adults who knew had minimised it so much I started to believe it. I hope you are in a better place now.

In order to heal and be ok having our experience validated and understood is so important. I remember breaking down in front of "friends" and being met with blank faces. I remember crying to my ex and being dismissed by him and told to get over it. Oddly enough I still stuck around.

I do believe its possible to live a fulfilling life after experiencing abuse but the path to that place is difficult. Also again just to say my
    experience was a different kind of thing compared to the pain others endured. It was a one off and I was an adult. It seems I'm minimising it myself but really that is how it is.

It was the aftermath that devastated me. The loss of relationships because I was deemed a "liar". These were people whom I loved and still think about.

Thank you. I most certainly am and hope you are too :)

I meant the covering up of negligence.

I never even implied it wasn't. But who raped her?

Of the six girls reared by Peter and Josephine Murphy, five alleged sexual abuse in the family home. One of the five, Theresa, who was Margaret's daughter but who was reared as her sibling, committed suicide, leaving a horrifying 37-page report of abuse, both of herself and of her brother Michael, in their home. Of the three Murphy sons, two are dead, Michael's bones found beside Killiney train station in 2005 and Martin committing suicide a decade earlier.

They also talk about friends of the family coming over and raping them. The baby could be anyone's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Of the six girls reared by Peter and Josephine Murphy, five alleged sexual abuse in the family home. One of the five, Theresa, who was Margaret's daughter but who was reared as her sibling, committed suicide, leaving a horrifying 37-page report of abuse, both of herself and of her brother Michael, in their home. Of the three Murphy sons, two are dead, Michael's bones found beside Killiney train station in 2005 and Martin committing suicide a decade earlier.

They also talk about friends of the family coming over and raping them. The baby could be anyone's.

If I remember well, the initiative to exhume the baby's remains was also to DNA test them to establish who the father was as the girl couldn't tell. Also if I remember well her siblings confirmed that she was taken out of the house to other people.

For anyone curious about facts, there is plenty of material linked up thread but it's a very harrowing read.

strandroad wrote: »
    If I remember well, the initiative to exhume the baby's remains was also to DNA test them to establish who the father was as the girl couldn't tell. Also if I remember well her siblings confirmed that she was taken out of the house to other people.

For anyone curious about facts, there is plenty of material linked up thread but it's a very harrowing read.

Yes miss Owens demanded a DNA test. She's trying everything to prove her version of events.

I have friends who knew the children well. The father was a nasty piece of work by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Yes miss Owens demanded a DNA test. She's trying everything to prove her version of events.

I have friends who knew the children well. The father was a nasty piece of work by all accounts.

Remember the Kerry babies situation, was there not something a few years ago, long after the event, about the guards testing local men for their DNA ? I'm sure I heard something about that ?? Maybe they should have the same approach in Dalkey because that baby and her mam deserve justice.

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Remember the Kerry babies situation, was there not something a few years ago, long after the event, about the guards testing local men for their DNA ? I'm sure I heard something about that ?? Maybe they should have the same approach in Dalkey because that baby and her mam deserve justice.

If they get the baby they could do that. Pity the other evidence was thrown out.

He definitely looked like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Shocking that posters here are casting doubt in this woman's story.
    Nothing tells me she is lying.

The case stinks to high heaven. The suicides of her siblings; the suicide note corroborating her story; the mislaying of evidence by the Garda and failure to properly investigate this awful crime; Cynthia herself desperately asking to have the baby's body to be exhumed only to be denied on flimsy grounds.

Anyone with any ounce of empathy or intelligence sees it stinks to high heaven instead of calling her a liar or nutcase. Anyone would find it difficult to retain their sanity growing up in that environment.

God bless that woman.
    I hope the truth comes out.

Some posters here disgust me.

You cannot exhume the body of a baby that died in the early 70s, it's just not possible.

Firstly, the little Angel plot holds hundreds of babies bodies, the families of those babies would all need to agree.
    Secondly, it is pointless, because there would literally be nothing left. Babies bones decompose very quickly. I hope that doesn't upset any posters, but that's the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

bubblypop wrote: »
    You cannot exhume the body of a baby that died in the early 70s, it's just not possible.

Firstly, the little Angel plot holds hundreds of babies bodies, the families of those babies would all need to agree.
    Secondly, it is pointless, because there would literally be nothing left. Babies bones decompose very quickly. I hope that doesn't upset any posters, but that's the truth.

Is that for certain though? They could at least try or have done it much earlier.

The whole thing stinks, weak enquries, shoddy investigations and attempts to put a limit on “historic” abuse cases.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

strandroad wrote: »

The timeline that Broadsheet.ie did on all the significant event in this story is very comprehensive and you're right, it is a very harrowing read. Its hard to comprehend that such evil exists and was perpetrated on a small child.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/12/a-dalkey-archive/

Is that for certain though? They could at least try or have done it much earlier.

The whole thing stinks, weak enquries, shoddy investigations and attempts to put a limit on “historic” abuse cases.

No, it's absolutely for certain.
    Cynthia Owens didn't claim that baby for years, I don't remember exactly but it was over 25 years approx. Which is far too late to exhume babies bodies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The timeline that Broadsheet.ie did on all the significant event in this story is very comprehensive and you're right, it is a very harrowing read. Its hard to comprehend that such evil exists and was perpetrated on a small child.
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/01/12/a-dalkey-archive/[/
    Something odd in the George gibney case as well, gets off on a technicality, practically spirited out of the country and despite their being dozens of alleged victims coming forward over the years nothing happens. Makes you wonder was he being protected?

Shocking that posters here are casting doubt in this woman's story.
    Nothing tells me she is lying.

The case stinks to high heaven. The suicides of her siblings; the suicide note corroborating her story; the mislaying of evidence by the Garda and failure to properly investigate this awful crime; Cynthia herself desperately asking to have the baby's body to be exhumed only to be denied on flimsy grounds.

Anyone with any ounce of empathy or intelligence sees it stinks to high heaven instead of calling her a liar or nutcase. Anyone would find it difficult to retain their sanity growing up in that environment.

God bless that woman.
    I hope the truth comes out.

Some posters here disgust me.

Well what people are neglecting to mention is that Cynthia was found to be credible and without delusion by both the HSE psychologist and a psychologist appointed by the garda. There's no reason to doubt what she's saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Sunday World published an interview with Cynthia today which is only in hard copy for now. They also wrote an article accompanied by a photo of Cynthias parents with the mother Joesphine sticking two fingers up at the camera
    https://www.sundayworld.com/crime/irish-crime/revealed-irelands-most-evil-parents-dance-in-dalkeys-house-of-horrors-39632776.html
    This is the vile Dalkey House of Horrors couple who pimped out their children and whose infant grandchild was murdered at their hands.

Peter Snr and Josephine Murphy dance together under a crucifix in the living room of their home where a newborn baby was brutally stabbed to death with a knitting needle - and where decades of rape and abuse destroyed two generations of children. Town hall clerk Peter embraces his wife in a rare moment of drunken affection, usually saved for the children he ruthlessly raped nightly in his filthy bedroom. Arrogant Josephine, accused of murdering the infant born to her then 11-year-old daughter Cynthia, gives two fingers to the camera.
    They are beyond doubt Ireland's most-evil parents and this week gardai in Dun Laoghaire issued an appeal for help in solving the murder of their newborn grandchild, baby Noleen Murphy, whose body was found stabbed and dumped in a laneway 47 years ago.
    Both Peter and Josephine went to their graves without serving time for their crimes, due to a catastrophic series of difficulties with investigations.

It was more than two decades before Cynthia, formerly Sindy Murphy, found the courage to come forward and tell officers that she was he mother of the murdered infant whose case had been shelved unsolved.
    A number of investigation proceeded into allegations of abuse at the house in Dalkey and a horror story unfolded of what happened to numerous children who were brought up there.

Joesphine died before a Coroner's Court heard that she had stabbed baby Noleen to death with knitting needles after she was born to schoolgirl Sindy. In an effort to cover-up the sexual abuse going on in the house, the court heard, she then made her way to Dun Laoghaire where she dumped her grandchild's tiny body in a green plastic bag.

A catastrophic Garda investigation in 1973 saw Noleen buried in an unmarked infants' grave at Glasnevin Cemetery, where she remains today. No blood samples or other forensics were taken at the time, which could have helped in the following decades as the secrets of the Dalkey House of Horrors started to spill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

It's awful that people could do such evil things and go to their graves without any punishment.

Did she have the baby at home as I presume a doctor would have to ask questions about an 11 year old being pregnant and how did she hide her pregnancy at school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭seenitall

Did she have the baby at home as I presume a doctor would have to ask questions about an 11 year old being pregnant and how did she hide her pregnancy at school ?

Yes, she had the baby at home, without a doctor or a midwife, and it was killed straight away.

The nuns in school noticed the pregnancy of course, and asked her if she was pregnant. She answered “no”, as she was instructed by her mother to do, and no more was said on the matter.

I remember the above from Cynthia’s interview on the Late Late, quite a while ago. (I think that’s where I remember it from.)

seenitall wrote: »
    Yes, she had the baby at home, without a doctor or a midwife, and it was killed straight away.

The nuns in school noticed the pregnancy of course, and asked her if she was pregnant. She answered “no”, as she was instructed by her mother to do, and no more was said on the matter.

I remember the above from Cynthia’s interview on the Late Late, quite a while ago. (I think that’s where I remember it from.)

I was going to say the father was an animal but that would be an insult to animals. And the mother was completely unnatural by my book. Those poor children.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I was going to say the father was an animal but that would be an insult to animals. And the mother was completely unnatural by my book. Those poor children.

Anyone who objects to this woman and people working on her behalf from getting all help to get the truth out there is as bad as the 2 animals mentioned above

Advertisement