Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dalkey House of Horrors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don’t really want to go back over the case but I’m sure I read that there was an independent investigation into the case by a legal expert but key figures weren’t interviewed and it “smacked” of another whitewashing.

The inquest also found a forged note in the evidence room.

A retired Garda inspector, who was the station sergeant in Dun Laoghaire at the time, subsequently told the 2005 inquest that he had not made a statement purporting to have been made and signed by him and which was among the remaining evidence. The retired garda, Eddie Russell, has since died and no explanation was ever brought forward as to how the statement came to be in evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

fatknacker wrote: »
    Yep, back then the Local Paedo was just a part of any town like The Village Idiot or Crazy Old Lady

John Waters and Gemma are still around so all we need now is to identify the paedo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

lalababa wrote: »
    Not related to this particular story..but gives an insight of what we were like as a society in the past .

I grew up near a small town in the country. Around 1990..As I was of the age of 15+ I became aware of the very infrequent reference (subtle/hinting) of a few men in the town that you would want to avoid.....
    These hints as I say we're very subtle and would come from adult men. Like
    "watch out fer dat fella"...whyso?
    'wink'.
    Sort of a thing.
    Over the last 10 years it's slowly coming out.. abuse....suicide of victims... alcoholism.
    A Town where people pride themselves about knowing what everyone has for breakfast. And nothing done to protect the kids?
    It beggars belief.

When I was in school one of the teachers was nicknamed Handy by the students because he had a reputation for fondling young girls. It was widely known in the locality that he couldn't keep his hands to himself yet was still teaching long after I left.

eviltwin wrote: »
    When I was in school one of the teachers was nicknamed Handy by the students because he had a reputation for fondling young girls. It was widely known in the locality that he couldn't keep his hands to himself yet was still teaching long after I left.

Im convinced that Ireland's post colonial psychology left us a legacy of putting authority figures like teachers, garda and priests on a pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Happy4all wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/1015/1171712-noleen-murphy-appeal/

Today, 47 years later, the Gardai issue there first ever appeal for the public's help.

A lot of the people that Cynthia named in authority as suspects have died in recent years.

A coincidence? chances of new leads seem slim, but it would be nice if the truth came out.

She named a well known retired Garda on Facebook a couple of years ago, she said he was part of the paedophile ring that abused her. He never sued her for defamation which I would find very strange as the whole community knew of him.
    fatknacker wrote: »
    Yep, back then the Local Paedo was just a part of any town like The Village Idiot or Crazy Old Lady

And the language used back then was 'he is at the children' with a wink and a nod, everyone would know what was going on but in Catholic Ireland blind eyes were turned everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im convinced that Ireland's post colonial psychology left us a legacy of putting authority figures like teachers, garda and priests on a pedestal.

Thankfully that thinking is long gone.

Jesus Christ what a horrific story. :mad: Monsters really do walk among us. Filthy, disgusting predatory monsters that should be put down.

Thankfully that thinking is long gone.

Jesus Christ what a horrific story. :mad: Monsters really do walk among us. Filthy, disgusting predatory monsters that should be put down.

You'd be surprised. The Irish garda exhibited countless instances of large scale corruption. Yet you'll still meet people who say they're one of the best in Europe.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    She named a well known retired Garda on Facebook a couple of years ago, she said he was part of the paedophile ring that abused her. He never sued her for defamation which I would find very strange as the whole community knew of him.

And the language used back then was 'he is at the children' with a wink and a nod, everyone would know what was going on but in Catholic Ireland blind eyes were turned everywhere.

The whole community would be very aware of two garda from the area.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The whole community would be very aware of two garda from the area.

yeah I believe they are very well known in the area. Are both still alive and living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

But sure, when you think about it, the adults of the area would have grown up either being abused or knowing someone getting abused by an authority figure, or a relation.

When they heard about it going on when they’d grown up themselves they probably just accepted that it went on. Didn’t become socially unacceptable until 1994 when the dam just broke and people had enough.

Never ceases to amaze me how anyone can get shocked by a revelation of historic abuse in a school, institution or by an authority figure. At this stage it’s more surprising to hear of taking stands against it at the time.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

...We really do have a terrible track record when it comes to kids.

This is true. There are other cases.

A tape AND transcript went missing in the the Dónal Ó Lúbhlaí case.
    They did the search on the Judge Curtin place only AFTER the warrant expired.

The majority of Irish cops are not just straight, but heroes. Only need a few bent ones though for slime to slither free.

topper75 wrote: »
    This is true. There are other cases.

A tape AND transcript went missing in the the Dónal Ó Lúbhlaí case.
    They did the search on the Judge Curtin place only AFTER the warrant expired.

The majority of Irish cops are not just straight, but heroes. Only need a few bent ones though for slime to slither free.

You also need an organisation that protects them and for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We really do have a terrible track record when it comes to kids.

Kids, the elderly and animals, E. Great little country.

. He never sued her for defamation which I would find very strange as the whole community knew of him.

You need huge money in this country to sue for defamation, which is why you only ever see super rich, famous people doing it.

But sure, when you think about it, the adults of the area would have grown up either being abused or knowing someone getting abused by an authority figure, or a relation.

When they heard about it going on when they’d grown up themselves they probably just accepted that it went on. Didn’t become socially unacceptable until 1994 when the dam just broke and people had enough.

Never ceases to amaze me how anyone can get shocked by a revelation of historic abuse in a school, institution or by an authority figure. At this stage it’s more surprising to hear of taking stands against it at the time.

Thankfully things have changed but yeah we do have a horrible history when it comes to children. A common adage of the time was that children were to be seen and not heard which speaks volumes. Couple that with a Catholic church that told people to repress their sexuality and it was a toxic combination.

The results of the widespread sexual abuse that went on are still going on today, I remember seeing research a few years back that said around 25% of our homeless people were sexually abused as children. Then as when they are adults it completely consumes them and their brain cannot handle it so they turn to alcohol and drugs to numb the pain, from there their life spirals downhill and they end up on the streets. The damage from sexual abuse lasts a life time and many victims of it up committing suicide because psychologically they just cannot process what happened to them.

Edgware wrote: »
    The rambings of a nutcase cant be relied on as evidence.

But we can agree that a crime was committed, E? I mean, the child didn’t impregnate herself.

The tide is turning…

But we can agree that a crime was committed, E? I mean, the child didn’t impregnate herself.

Certainly and a baby was murdered. The weapon used was a knitting needle which was a regular item used to procure abortions. Cynthia who suffers from a mental disorder and comes from a clearly dysfuntional family has made allegations against her father, brothers, and several men who were living in Dalkey at that time. No proof whatsoever apart from what she says is forthcoming. She clearly has had a terrible life and shows up the complete lack of any social services looking at the family. But her allegations are just that allegations and could not be used as grounds for arrest never mind a trial.

Certainly and a baby was murdered. The weapon used was a knitting needle which was a regular itemused to procure abortions. Cynthia who suffers from a mental disorder and comes from a clearly dysfuntional family has made allegations against her father, brothers, and several men who were living in Dalkey at that time. No proof whatsoever apart from what she says is forthcoming. She clearly has had a terrible life and shows up the complete lack of any social services looking at the family. But her allegations are just that allegations and could not be used as grounds for arrest never mind a trial.

That’s true. Sorry, I wasn’t too sure if the baby was stillborn and didn’t want to speculate.

Her allegations are just that but, I think we can all agree that, the Gardaí did a poor job in investigating and there are definitely questions that need answering.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭political analyst

Thankfully things have changed but yeah we do have a horrible history when it comes to children. A common adage of the time was that children were to be seen and not heard which speaks volumes. Couple that with a Catholic church that told people to repress their sexuality and it was a toxic combination.

Do you mean that some men, because they couldn't get women to have sex with them, targeted children in order to release sexual tension? Was it a form of situational sexuality, like when some heterosexual men in prison have sex with other male prisoners who are submissive and are thus substitutes for women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Are you a Garda or retired Garda?

• Advertisement

That’s true. Sorry, I wasn’t too sure if the baby was stillborn and didn’t want to speculate.

Her allegations are just that but, I think we can all agree that, the Gardaí did a poor job in investigating and there are definitely questions that need answering.

Hard to believe that it was only the early 70s but a 12 year old has a baby and Garda, social services if such a thing, medical staff seem to have done nothing.
    The late Cathal O Shannon did a number of documentaries on incidents/murders going back through the 20s/30! etc including the Nurse Cadden abortion clinic.
    It wasnt only in Ireland though. I have seen several documentaries on such incidents occurring in the U.K.and every centre of population seemed to have a "nurse" that women with unwanted pregnancies could go to. These are often the background to murders/ discovery of dead babies in such shows as Inspector George Gently etc

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2020/1015/1171712-noleen-murphy-appeal/

Today, 47 years later, the Gardai issue there first ever appeal for the public's help.

A lot of the people that Cynthia named in authority as suspects have died in recent years.

A coincidence? chances of new leads seem slim, but it would be nice if the truth came out.

So you would prefer they not?

So you would prefer they not

She is not a credible witness.

Cynthia had already accused her father of rape for a number of years until she came up with the paedophile ring story. Not much point going out to Deansgrange cemetery and digging people up to get answers now.

So you would prefer they not?

Not sure what point you are making?

But the truth coming out is what I would hope for.

Are you a Garda or retired Garda?
    Neither but what I have posted about credibility of a witness is basic procedure in any court case. Would a jury believe a damaged woman from a dysfunctional family, father an alcoholic against whom she alleged rape, Cynthia with a long history of mental illness? It is terrible case but the solution isnt to commit an injustice against others to give her justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Her siblings who died by suicide also made allegations and one of them left letters to that effect if I remember well.
    No need to insult anyone.

Do you really need to refer to the woman as a nutcase after everything she has been through?
    :(

Neither but what I have posted about credibility of a witness is basic procedure in any court case. Would a jury believe a damaged woman from a dysfunctional family, father an alcoholic against whom she alleged rape, Cynthia with a long history of mental illness? It is terrible case but the solution isnt to commit an injustice against others to give her justice

Did all the evidence and records go missing from Dun Laoghaire Garda Station?

Did all the evidence and records go missing from Dun Laoghaire Garda Station?

How am I supposed to know?
    I'm still looking for the Hitler Diaries

• Advertisement

Thats a disgusting post to be honest.

Basically you accept that she was raped as an 11 year old child,she became pregnant from the rape and her baby was murdered with knitting needles in an alleyway in Dun Laoighire. You accept all of that.

But then you go on to say with no proof whatsoever that she has a mental disorder and therefore cannot be trusted to tell the truth. By your logic any victim of rape and infanticide who later develops a mental disorder arising from same cannot be trusted because as you say about Cynthia she is "a damaged woman" and ask "would a jury believe her".

The only thing damaged here is your disgusting thought process that led you to type that load of bile in the first place. Its victim blaming at its very best, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Advertisement