Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Andrew76 wrote: »
    And apparently Atomiswave carts are very prone to bootlegs, think Pyonyang said the same about the STV system. If you can't get a cab into your house then get some PCBs as o1s1n says, there's something cool about them for sure and playing them on that big Trinitron of yours would be awesome.

Indeed, the STV and MVS systems are riddled with bootlegs. It's like walking a minefield to find a genuine cassette.

That said, be wary of PCB's too, though to be honest, if it's rare and the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭purplec

o1s1n wrote: »
    Too right! :D

Ciderman - I don't think there are any other multi games solutions other than buying dodgy multi PCBs.

The only other cart systems I can think of off the top of my head are PGM, STV, Sega Mega tech, Jaleco Mega 32 and Atomiswave.

None of which, to my own knowledge, have anything like MVS multi carts.

Maybe there's something else out there which uses compact flash like your G-Net. I haven't heard of anything though.

How about just collecting some bog standard PCBs? They're a thing of beauty :)

Naomi net boot solution with a cf card. Very easy to make. Hardware is quite cheap now also.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Indeed, the STV and MVS systems are riddled with bootlegs. It's like walking a minefield to find a genuine cassette.

That said, be wary of PCB's too, though to be honest, if it's rare and the price is too good to be true, it probably is.

The most bootlegs about are mvs , atomiswave. STV are a lot harder to do so you don't see many of them. Anyway STV arent great anyway I practically gave one away recently.

purplec wrote: »
    Anyway STV arent great anyway I practically gave one away recently.

I know! I wanted it! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kerbdog sent me a link to a guy selling a Taito Type-X board with Sega I/O board included.
    It comes with a modded bios and a CF with 12 games, including Raiden 3 and 4...
    All for the knock down price of €480!

Now, which kidney to sell, the left or right?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Kerbdog sent me a link to a guy selling a Taito Type-X board with Sega I/O board included.
    It comes with a modded bios and a CF with 12 games, including Raiden 3 and 4...
    All for the knock down price of €480!

Now, which kidney to sell, the left or right?

I got the same link. I nearly bought it this morning (honestly) but remembered the Batrider fund.

The Type-X for sale is the old Celeron model too, not the P4 upgrade (which helped me talk myself out of buying it).

I have a TypeX CF solution from mr modbios its annoying how you change the game but its a good system.

you can upgrade the processor easily yourself, its just swapatronics

purplec wrote: »
    I have a TypeX CF solution from mr modbios its annoying how you change the game but its a good system.

you can upgrade the processor easily yourself, its just swapatronics

True, I just kidded myself the processor was a dealbreaker so I wouldn't buy it and harm the Batrider fund. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm having problems loading G-Darius onto my G-Net.
    I know it worked at least once but now I'm getting a persistant "back-up data failed" message and asking me to press the "test sw".
    Ahhh!!!

So, what the fup is going on?
    Is this an issue with the board?
    Everything else works great.
    Is it the nasty brand of CF I'm using?
    Again, everything else runs off of it.
    Could it have something to do with running a game that is not native to the G-Net? I know that G-Darius is a hack itself, forced to run on the GNet

Everythings Ok!

I trawled the interweb and finally found a pdf of instructions for a proper G-Net card.
    In them it detailed how to access the test mode.

You turn off the G-Net Board at the PSU and flip dip-switch no.4 to the "on" position.
    Then turn on the power.
    The board will load as normal but instead of the games title it will display the settings menu.

In here you can test the screen, access the game settings etc.
    I reset the game to default and switched everything off again.
    Then switched the dipswitch back to the "off" position and powered the board again.

Hooray!
    G-Darius in all its glory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Glad to hear you got it working!

How much do those boards normally go for if you don't mind me asking? I'd really like to pick one up.

Oh and on the subject of this thread, looks like I'm should have space for a cab in my new place sometime soon.

Also looks like I'll have plenty of room to host some beers :)

I think you can get them, with a CF Card and a disk of "stuff", including the modded bios for €150 from "some guy".

Ask Kerbdog, he sourced mine.

Master of the Universe

Nice! Not bad for an 'all in one, never have to spend another cent' on games setup :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Glad to hear you got it working!

How much do those boards normally go for if you don't mind me asking? I'd really like to pick one up.

Oh and on the subject of this thread, looks like I'm should have space for a cab in my new place sometime soon.

Also looks like I'll have plenty of room to host some beers :)

Will the cab turn on, or will it be like a beers where we just sit & look at a cab and discuss memories of emptying 20p's into them? :p

Joking aside, I presume it's all sorted by now?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

EnterNow wrote: »

That feels like a yearly question almost. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,854 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I've offered up my spare arcade monitor to the cause. Nothing worse than a dead candy.

custom_1285098914919_tip_ny_0908_01.jpg

100923-purewind-01.jpg

Master of the Universe

Will the cab turn on, or will it be like a beers where we just sit & look at a cab and discuss memories of emptying 20p's into them? :p

A working cab at a beers in my place? are you mental? :p

Hasn't been sorted yet no. I haven't chased it though as I wouldn't have had anywhere to put the thing.

Once the extra room is cleared I'm going to be really eager to get one moved in though. So if the current situation can't be resolved sometime soon I'm going to look elsewhere. Maybe Ronnie or even someone over on Arcade Otaku.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I've offered up my spare arcade monitor to the cause. Nothing worse than a dead candy.

custom_1285098914919_tip_ny_0908_01.jpg

100923-purewind-01.jpg

That should have a NSFW, post reported. Its too graphic

Hasn't been sorted yet no. I haven't chased it though as I wouldn't have had anywhere to put the thing.

Once the extra room is cleared I'm going to be really eager to get one moved in though. So if the current situation can't be resolved sometime soon I'm going to look elsewhere. Maybe Ronnie or even someone over on Arcade Otaku.

I presume you'll get refunded etc, that's a shame. Kinda lucky though that you didn't have to lug it around during the move etc though I suppose

Master of the Universe

I'll mention that again. Fingers crossed. If it does happen then I'd be interested in buying that 2 player CP from you if you still have it. I'll say no more about that for now though, as I honestly haven't a clue what's going to happen with the cab so can't commit to anything just yet.
    I presume you'll get refunded etc, that's a shame. Kinda lucky though that you didn't have to lug it around during the move etc though I suppose

I'd be getting my old JAMMA cab back too. Just trying to figure out how to convince the lady to let me have two :pac:

She did say (to my utter shock), 'oh, you can put your arcade in there' in relation to the other room. So maybe if I nag enough....

• Advertisement

She did say (to my utter shock), 'oh, you can put your arcade in there' in relation to the other room. So maybe if I nag enough....

Arggh, why do girls call them 'arcades'? :D

I'll be getting a batch of candies from Japan myself in the next couple of months if you want to get involved. I'll have more details in the next 3 to 4 weeks about it.

Master of the Universe

Arggh, why do girls call them 'arcades'? :D
    Oooh I could always misinterpret that to mean an arcade room? :D

I'll be getting a batch of candies from Japan myself in the next couple of months if you want to get involved. I'll have more details in the next 3 to 4 weeks about it.

im-intrigued-tell-me-more-thumb.jpg

Master of the Universe

:eek:

Well that'd be a solution to my woes!

im-intrigued-tell-me-more-thumb.jpg

I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere but basically I have a source over in Tokyo willing to sell me candies(even new unwrapped ones, the come wrapped and not boxed apparently) for a decent price.
    I went over just before Xmas for some business and also to try and get more info and details from the guy.

I think I mentioned in another thread somewhere but basically I have a source over in Tokyo willing to sell me candies(even new unwrapped ones, the come wrapped and not boxed apparently) for a decent price.
    I went over just before Xmas for some business and also to try and get more info and details from the guy.

Steve SI promoted to Messiah status :cool:

Steve SI promoted to Messiah status :cool:

On another note, the guy mentioned that a lot of sellers in Euroland buy their candies in bulk from the junk yards(like the ones pictures above except thats China).
    Something to think about when shopping for a new cab.

Master of the Universe

On another note, the guy mentioned that a lot of sellers in Euroland buy their candies in bulk from the junk yards(like the ones pictures above except thats China).
    Something to think about when shopping for a new cab.

Would probably explain some of the scuffs and knocks I've seen in pictures people post of their cabs :pac:

In all seriousness though, that's pretty insane. It's nice to see some of them being saved and all..but if I were getting a junk yard cab I'd want to be getting one massive discount!

That's a really interesting prospect anyway. Any idea what the story is with the new ones? I take it it'd just be newer models? Or are things like Egrets still manufacturered?

Would be amazing to get an Egret II straight off a production line :)

• Advertisement

Would probably explain some of the scuffs and knocks I've seen in pictures people post of their cabs :pac:

In all seriousness though, that's pretty insane. It's nice to see some of them being saved and all..but if I were getting a junk yard cab I'd want to be getting one massive discount!

That's a really interesting prospect anyway. Any idea what the story is with the new ones? I take it it'd just be newer models? Or are things like Egrets still manufacturered?

Would be amazing to get an Egret II straight off a production line :)

First thing I did was confirm Egret 2's and 3's were available new. They are and he showed me an Egret 3 that was unwrapped a week before. It was mint and shiny and the monitor was a thing of beauty.

Of course the only problem with these "new" candies is that they must have been in storage for while. He even has new and wrapped candies from the 90's. That old and never powered on makes me wonder how the electronics in the monitors have held up. The Egret 3's should fair better as they are from the 2002/3 era but an arcade monitor from 1993 or so that's never been power up, hmmm.

Advertisement