Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options
1697071727375»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

ECM hi res 0°C isotherm down to just a couple of hundred feet or less in parts during tomorrow night's precip.

ecm0125_millikort_0level_msl_2015011800_048.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The Model runs are changing each run I wouldn't look much beyond next weekend, We might get a mild blip then back to cold weather even from the east or north east.

Thanks. I dont mind either way but would like to be out next weekend! Just one day! At least the car is warm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

FWVT wrote: »
    ECM hi res 0°C isotherm down to just a couple of hundred feet or less in parts during tomorrow night's precip

BBC forecast just now showed plenty of snow on the leading edge in Galway and into the Midlands. The next frame already had it over Wales so not sure what happens in between but likely most in the northern half of the country will see transitional snow at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Harps wrote: »
    BBC forecast just now showed plenty of snow on the leading edge in Galway and into the Midlands. The next frame already had it over Wales so not sure what happens in between but likely most in the northern half of the country will see transitional snow at least

Yes, that looks correct. The Hirlam has snow on the leading edge too, and evaporative cooling may help prolong it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Absolute cracker of a day here in Kilcullen, 5 Celsius in bright sunshine, out of the breeze it feels like spring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭justy182

Met office has only mix of rain and snow to low levels. 2 cm for Monday night. I'm in Newry. Was expecting more tbh. Had a good 7 cm s fri morning though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

FWVT wrote: »
    Yes, that looks correct. The Hirlam has snow on the leading edge too, and evaporative cooling may help prolong it.
    I'd expect snow sticking at lamb Doyle's, and falling around Docarch's house depending on Wind direction
    If it's off the sea,that snow line will retreat to three rock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

So in other words (as long as the wind is not off the sea), you reckon falling snow from around 100m and lying snow from about 150m :)

Would you give similar altitudes for areas a little bit inland to the west of Dublin.....ie, me :o ?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

I'd expect snow sticking at lamb Doyle's, and falling around Docarch's house depending on Wind direction

I just might be lucky so :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Yes...please...thank you! :)

Although, I just can't see any meaningful ppn reaching Dublin tomorrow. Hopefully I am wrong.

• Advertisement

highdef wrote: »
    So in other words (as long as the wind is not off the sea), you reckon falling snow from around 100m and lying snow from about 150m :)

Would you give similar altitudes for areas a little bit inland to the west of Dublin.....ie, me :o ?
    I'd be surprised if you didn't see snow but I don't know your area like I do the one mentioned
    In your favour is being well inland
    More in Docarch's favour is adjacency to high ground rather than the height of the area(I'm talking near Rathfarnhan/Grange road/Ballinteer, that general area)
    I could of course be wrong, as it is VERY marginal and requires a lot of Ducks in a row to happen, most are but there's no three line whip system with weather like politics :o
    There's a lesser chance in my area
    Snow can fall a mile or two away from higher ground as well as on it,its borrowed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

I'd be surprised if you didn't see snow but I don't know your area like I do the one mentioned
    In your favour is being well inland
    More in Docarch's favour is adjacency to high ground rather than the height of the area(I'm talking near Rathfarnhan/Grange road/Ballinteer, that general area)
    I could of course be wrong, as it is VERY marginal and requires a lot of Ducks in a row to happen, most are but there's no three line whip system with weather like politics :o
    There's a lesser chance in my area
    Snow can fall a mile or two away from higher ground as well as on it,its borrowed

Excellent, I dont know exactly where Docarch lives, but I know a good snowball throwing machine might get him from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Some snow showers about Blessington and Stepaside hills.

34zy8mt.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mech1 wrote: »
    Excellent, I dont know exactly where Docarch lives, but I know a good snowball throwing machine might get him from here!

Down the road from Lamb Doyles/beside Marley Park.

DOCARCH wrote: »

Although, I just can't see any meaningful ppn reaching Dublin tomorrow. Hopefully I am wrong.

That's where the problem might be,the lighter the precipitation,the higher the snow line
    Essentially in my opinion S Dublin down as far as Bray is just on the edge of the line where it could snow on lower ground
    Latest Euro4 has that precipitation very patchy as the occlusion struggles up against the cold air
    Light precipitation would more likely to be drizzly sleet lower down
    Anyhow one to watch

Edit-Sadly the windflow looks to be off the sea alright on that Euro 4 which will scupper chances,it's one of the ducks
    I feel like my last few posts were in vain :o

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

looking like I will be a little too far south for the snow tomorrow night/Tuesday morning. id say wet snow at times and sleet will be the order of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

howlinwolf wrote: »
    looking like I will be a little too far south for the snow tomorrow night/Tuesday morning. id say wet snow at times and sleet will be the order of the day.

Yep looking like sleet at lower levels alright.

Villain wrote: »
    Yep looking like sleet at lower levels alright.

don't mind too much to be honest, working tomorrow night and not too mad about driving in the snow.

Just been out with the dogs.. the wind is something else up here and bitter cold. Takes the breath away. met is..... interesting.. for tonight too..:rolleyes:Branches down off the dreaded trees..Banking the range up and filling hot water bottles...Take care out there tonight and tomorrow please. Icy roads on AA roadwatch already. Glad of the wood that came yesterday; I do a lot of paperwork for the giver so this is my "pay"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It has been a fabulous day here on Tralee Bay.

Cold, though sunshine all day. Hardly a ripple on the water.

Fabulous sunset

• Advertisement

Fabulous sunset

yeah I have to agree,i know a lot of people haven't seen the snow but id still definitely take this cold,crisp,sunny weather over the mild wet muck we get most of the year round.

Fabulous sunset

AA roadwatch now says " icy roads around Tralee.." Usually it is wet or damp or dry.. Yes lovely sunshine but breathing hurts in this cold.. been watching the clouds scud in over the mountains as I washed up.. best view ever from my kitchen sink ;) NB no wind there? Interesting as it is wild here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Well, a lot of promising cloud but zero precipitation all morning. Sunny afternoon, temp reached 4.6C by 3pm.

Sky clear, wind dropped and 2.7 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

howlinwolf wrote: »
    yeah I have to agree,i know a lot of people haven't seen the snow but id still definitely take this cold,crisp,sunny weather over the mild wet muck we get most of the year round.

When in Ireland during the winter, I can cope very nicely with crisp, sunny weather . Wonderful to see so many people out walking on the beach . There was even a hint of Spring. Indeed I noticed a snowdrops in one of my pots and a few daffodils coming up. There was a noticeable stretch in daylight last evening, my garden lights did not light up until 5.15pm Thankfully heading back to Spain next month!✈😊

When in Ireland during the winter, I can cope very nicely with crisp, sunny weather . Wonderful to see so many people out walking on the beach . There was even a hint of Spring. Indeed I noticed a snowdrops in one of my pots and a few daffodils coming up. There was a noticeable stretch in daylight last evening, my garden lights did not light up until 5.15pm Thankfully heading back to Spain next month!✈😊

ohh im not jealous at all.....bas***d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Discussion continues here

Thanks for all the fantastic contributions guys! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement