Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Yes as techdriver says , it's in special events.
    If your taking the Dublin - Belfast train book from Lanyon Place ( Central Station ) to Portrush . £19.50 return . Tickets were emailed out instantly .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

So apparently his own fans are a burden to him, this is mcilroy today

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Do they post the practice round tee times anywhere?
    Heading up Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Any idea where the park and rides are located? Think I recall someone mentioning Coleraine....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

techdiver wrote: »
    Go to https://www.translink.co.uk/ and click "Event Travel" at the top of the page. The special services are listed in there.
    Yes as techdriver says , it's in special events.
    If your taking the Dublin - Belfast train book from Lanyon Place ( Central Station ) to Portrush . £19.50 return . Tickets were emailed out instantly .

They are only on Belfast-Portrush first thing in the morning and the return last thing at night, but I'll be travelling up Tuesday evening so no good to me.

I'm still amazed that in 2019 you cant book a standard train ticket in NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

what2do wrote: »
    Any idea where the park and rides are located? Think I recall someone mentioning Coleraine....

Got this response from the open website:
    "There will be several park and ride facilities located at various points throughout the area surrounding the venue, however we are not publicising their locations for operational reasons. A large amount of the parking space we have available is on grass, and is therefore susceptible to varying weather conditions. As a result, we assess the condition of each car park on a daily basis and decide which carparks to open and which to allow to ‘rest’. We would not want anyone to plan their journey to a particular car park, then find on arrival that it is closed, therefore we are asking all spectators to drive towards Coleraine or Portrush using the routes described on our website then look out for variable messaging signs and The AA’s black and yellow signs for ‘The Open Park & Ride’. We will alter the signage daily to ensure spectators are always directed to a car park that is open and has space available. As car parks fill up during the course of the day, we will change the signage to direct spectators to a car park that still has spaces available."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Driving up from Dublin on the Friday. What's the best route? Through Belfast or A28/A29?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Booked a hostel yesterday in Bushmills for Friday and Saturday night for £200 all in for 4 of us which I thought was fairly decent with the proximity of it.

I now have 3 return train tickets going idle from Belfast to Portrush for the Saturday available if anyone's interested at a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

GreeBo wrote: »
    They are only on Belfast-Portrush first thing in the morning and the return last thing at night, but I'll be travelling up Tuesday evening so no good to me.

I'm still amazed that in 2019 you cant book a standard train ticket in NI.

It's allowing bookings every day on the home page
    www.translink.co.uk
    On the home page enter Belfast Lanyon Place as departure and Portrush Train Station as destination , select date and time and it displays available trains , select the one that you want and click on purchase .

It's allowing bookings every day on the home page
    www.translink.co.uk
    On the home page enter Belfast Lanyon Place as departure and Portrush Train Station as destination , select date and time and it displays available trains , select the one that you want and click on purchase .

If you follow that through all it actually allows you to buy is a weekly/monthly or travel card. For individual tickets you need to buy on the day at the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

https://www.translink.co.uk/events/the148thopen

Try this link, on train fares it says they will send a e-ticket, I went all the way to payment page no problems

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Driving up from Dublin on the Friday. What's the best route? Through Belfast or A28/A29?

There is probably not much in it to be honest, once u hit Newry there are a load of yellow signs on the A1 dual carriageway directing traffic to the Open Golf, at Lisburn they seem to be guiding u thru Belfast and up to Portrush that way which is probably the quickest route....except Belfast has its own version of the M50 called the Westlink and it can be clogged up at anytime during the day...
    If it is then it can easily add 20-30 mins to journey time especially as you will probably be going thru at peak morning time when it’s nose to tail, though like the M50 a little less so in summertime...
    An easy alternative is go on main road to Lisburn as above and instead of joining Motorway towards Belfast, join the Motorway in opposite direction going Westbound. Get off at ur very first junction (Moria and Airport) head towards Airport on A26, a very good road, this A26 will take u all the way to Coleraine, u only go thru one town Antrim and it’s half by-passed, after Antrim(meet the Belfast to Portrush traffic again here) it’s all dual carriageway to about 8-10 miles from Coleraine
    The A28/A29 option would be a definite no goer, not a great road , not many town bypasses etc, very much slower I’d say

Just remembered A website you can use is called
    https://www.trafficwatchni.com/

It’s very good at accidents\traffic delays on main routes...

It also has a Cameras section(click on the menu button top right) where u can check out live traffic cams on a whole host of Motorway and main A roads, the Westlink is called the A12, if u check it on approaching Lisburn then u can decide easy enough.

From that camera page these are the relevant ones to look at,in this order

M1 Sprucefield, (this is where u join Motorway at Lisburn )
    M1 Stockmans Lane (these next 2 are on way in to Belfast and meet the A12)
    M1 Broadway
    A12 Roden Street ...these 2 are the Westlink
    A12 Clifton Street

From the cameras u want to be looking at traffic on the left hand side of road in pictures as this is ur direction of travel..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paulc87

Hey all. I've 3 Friday tickets plus parking available at cost price if anyone is still looking (also just put them on toutless)

Unfortunately myself, brother & dad cannot attend any longer. Hope everyone heading to it has a ball

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just offered a Corporate day on the Thursday but I've my own tickets for the Friday so passed on it....hopefully I won't regret it, only care about the weather

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,708 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Weather is looking decent for next week so fingers crossed.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

slave1 wrote: »
    Just offered a Corporate day on the Thursday but I've my own tickets for the Friday so passed on it....hopefully I won't regret it, only care about the weather

Had corporate passes at The Irish Open when it was in Portstewart and it was brilliant. It was worth it just to have somewhere to leave your bag for the day. The free booze and food also made it worth it :P.

Edit: Really hope the weather is good on Friday. but as long as I see Tiger for a few holes I don't really care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I might be there Monday to Sunday but doubt I will have the stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Can imagine quite a few early arriving golf fans getting some shock tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Weather looks very wet, for summer time anyway, from Monday on. Potential of strong winds keep popping up too. Long way to go yet though...

• Advertisement

I am a bit shocked that it will not be sun and calm every day for the Open, just like this week. :eek:

Yeah weather looking a bit crap. Ground very unlikely to be dry.

What's the story with bringing foldable chairs?

https://www.theopen.com/spectator-advice

Prohibited Items
    No lawn or oversize chairs, folding chairs (with the exception of seating/tripod sticks), or any similar seating item deemed inappropriate by The R&A (or authorised person).

I bought a shooting stick last week and will use that if I can not get a seat in a grandstand. My guess is the grandstands will be full.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Accuweather is currently giving:

Weds: Mostly cloudy, showers around
    Thurs: Mostly cloudy
    Fri: Occasional afternoon raid
    Sat: A passing morning shower
    Sunday: afternoon showers

Doesn't sound like it'll be constant rain - but it won't be sunshine either

I use Windfinder. It give wind and rain forecasts (regular forecast and superforecast).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Any info of any evening entertainment around Portrush after the golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

Newtown90 wrote: »

I'm looking for some clarity on this, numerous searches online and cant find anything. Surely they could put something on in the town as things like this dont come around that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Newtown90 wrote: »

Deffo - for example on Saturday evening just as the throng are exiting the course!!!...https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jul/03/portrush-the-open-championship-orange-parade-northern-ireland-golf

redhill wrote: »
    https://www.translink.co.uk/events/the148thopen

Try this link, on train fares it says they will send a e-ticket, I went all the way to payment page no problems

Only for morning journeys to portrush and evening away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

blackwhite wrote: »
    Accuweather is currently giving:

Weds: Mostly cloudy, showers around
    Thurs: Mostly cloudy
    Fri: Occasional afternoon raid
    Sat: A passing morning shower
    Sunday: afternoon showers

Doesn't sound like it'll be constant rain - but it won't be sunshine either

Wunderground use data from people's home weather stations, they're dotted all over the country. Portrush has one in Bushmills, they're ridiculously accurate. At the minute it's saying rain for next week. But as we all know anything past 2 or 3 days on this island when it's giving a chance of rain could be a storm or a heatwave. Be better dry but Id like to see the pros get a taste of portrush proper.

Advertisement