Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

slave1 wrote: »
    up to Boards outing in Castleknock Saturday

ahh, did the open organisers schedule their event on the same day as the castleknock boards outing :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

RoadRunner wrote: »
    ahh, did the open organisers schedule their event on the same day as the castleknock boards outing :mad:

may be the other way around :pac:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Just back from a couple of days on the North Coast, Portrush is looking immaculate at present, all grandstands as you would expect are in place, quite a few large ones, much much more grandstand seating than the Irish Open a few years back, course is in immaculate condition, the rough is well up and very thick, according to the guide we had it can be left as it is or at the many R&A Pre tourney meetings it can be cut accordingly, I would say if left alone u wud get a -8 to -12 winning score in reasonable good playing conditions. If tough links weather then a lot less...
    All the Mercedes courtesy minivans have just arrived, there are some large TVs all around course for info and scores etc. Still a good few out playing today, all on mats from fairways .
    Town is looking well too, has had a 15-20 million makeover, new railway station etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Any of the stands or holes where you would get inyeresting viewing?

And any idea what time the stands would fill up by? (Saturday for me)

Any of the stands or holes where you would get inyeresting viewing?

And any idea what time the stands would fill up by? (Saturday for me)

Haven’t a clue when stands may fill up, that’s just something you’ll have to keep an eye on during the day.
    Good viewing points is also hard to gauge, I’m going to have a look during practice days for this, most of the bigger grandstands seem to be on back 9. The one at 17 could be good, as u could get 17 & 18 and the par 3 13th green if you are the top of it, but would need to check this out first , similarly holes 9& 11 greens have possibilities,

• Advertisement

Also chatting to a few neighbours in Portstewart they say house rental prices in Portrush and surrounding areas are coming down for open week, loads held out looking for mega bucks but now having to settle for less, there are some quite cheap on Airbnb etc,

https://causewaycoastrentals.co.uk/property/?pn=Gretta%27s+Cottage

This place is £695 for full week,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

I could be wrong but I thought I saw extra tickets on sale today

I could be wrong but I thought I saw extra tickets on sale today
    Careful, they are for next year 2020, one of my eejit mates got caught out....

redhill wrote: »
    Careful, they are for next year 2020, one of my eejit mates got caught out....

Ah OK. I could have a Saturday ticket mb with parking

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TheSJC

I have a spare ticket for the Thursday if anyone is interested.

• Advertisement

yep sat ticket and parking available pm me cost price

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sligo Pilgrim

Hi, Looking for a pair of tickets for Friday. Ideally an adult and an U16, but even a pair of general admissions would be welcome. Pm me pls. Thanks Allan

• Registered Users Posts: 11 One_up

Hi,
    I’m looking for an u-16 ticket for the Friday at the Open. If anyone has one going pleas pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

I see John Daly had his request to use a buggy turned down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

RikkFlair wrote: »
    I see John Daly had his request to use a buggy turned down

And rightly so. A perfectly worded response from the R&A here

https://www.theopen.com/Latest/2019/07/Statement-John-Daly
    The R&A have carefully considered the request from 1995 Champion Golfer of the Year John Daly to use a buggy at The 148th Open at Royal Portrush later this month. The R&A appreciate the difficulty John is facing and have full sympathy for him as this is clearly a serious, long-term condition.

Having considered all of the relevant factors, the Championship Committee has decided to decline his request. The R&A believe that walking the course is an integral part of the Championship and is central to the tradition of links golf which is synonymous with The Open. We must also ensure that, as far as possible, the challenge is the same for all players in the field.

The terrain at Royal Portrush is not suited to buggies and indeed the club itself does not permit their use. We have a serious concern that some parts of the course, where there are severe slopes and swales, would be inaccessible.

This is not a decision we have taken lightly but we believe it is the right one for The Open. John has a special place in our hearts as a Champion Golfer and he will always be welcome at the Championship both at Royal Portrush and in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

There's a few tickets at face value on www.toutless.com if anyone is looking for some .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Friday Saturday and Sunday for me. Can't wait.

I'll do a long Friday, want to see as much of the players as possible. Then take it easy on Saturday.

Hopefully have a spot worked out to have a good view for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

Just got a One Club email. There are some weekly tickets now available via the link that is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 One_up

Cheers. Just got that email too. Will check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Rory's guide to the New 7th hole.

https://youtu.be/J6m0EAmlBzE

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

I'm heading up on the friday afternoon and staying at the open campsite with tickets for sat and sunday. Is there anything happening around the town on the evenings to go to, something like what happened in lahinch at the weekend, wouldnt want to miss out on the evening activities as i dont get out much these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Neewollah

What are the 1st tee times on the Saturday and Sunday does anyone know?

Have car parking booked for both days and staying in a B and B about 30 mins away. What are peoples thoughts on traffic etc? Never been to the area before. I'm assuming the roads won't be used to the volumes of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭blackwhite

JP85 wrote: »
    I'm heading up on the friday afternoon and staying at the open campsite with tickets for sat and sunday. Is there anything happening around the town on the evenings to go to, something like what happened in lahinch at the weekend, wouldnt want to miss out on the evening activities as i dont get out much these days :)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jul/03/portrush-the-open-championship-orange-parade-northern-ireland-golf

The "Portrush Sons of Ulster" are holding a concert on the Saturday evening. :pac:

How welcoming, or otherwise, it might be for southern visitors is unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anyone figured out transport from Dublin yet?

Im trying to head up Tuesday night for a full day Wednesday, but it seems you cant book the Belfast -> Portrush train tickets online?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

blackwhite wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/jul/03/portrush-the-open-championship-orange-parade-northern-ireland-golf

The "Portrush Sons of Ulster" are holding a concert on the Saturday evening. :pac:

How welcoming, or otherwise, it might be for southern visitors is unclear

Oh yes, i heard about this, ill put this one on the maybe pile

JP85 wrote: »
    Oh yes, i heard about this, ill put this one on the maybe pile

They are likely going to try and put forward a positive view of their parade in Portrush but as a southern Irish person I'd be going to the opposite end of town to them.

Even your average Ulster protestant will be mildly embarrassed by this parade going on in the middle of such a international event I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

GreeBo wrote: »
    Anyone figured out transport from Dublin yet?

Im trying to head up Tuesday night for a full day Wednesday, but it seems you cant book the Belfast -> Portrush train tickets online?

I booked Belfast - Portrush train tickets just now on www.translink.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Rory's guide to the New 7th hole.

https://youtu.be/J6m0EAmlBzE

This is an amazing hole. Played it last year, drove it straight into that mammoth bunker (its ridiculous), managed to wedge it out. 3W to 5 feet. Missed the putt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,108 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I booked Belfast - Portrush train tickets just now on www.translink.co.uk

I was on there earlier and all I get is options for either an iLink card for specific zones or a monthly/weekly ticket?

Were you able to just pay for a Belfast -> Portrush ticket?
    I have seen elsewhere that its not possible to book a ticket online/in advance in Northern Ireland, you have to pick up individual tickets at the station unless you are buying a multi-use pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭techdiver

GreeBo wrote: »
    I was on there earlier and all I get is options for either an iLink card for specific zones or a monthly/weekly ticket?

Were you able to just pay for a Belfast -> Portrush ticket?
    I have seen elsewhere that its not possible to book a ticket online/in advance in Northern Ireland, you have to pick up individual tickets at the station unless you are buying a multi-use pass?

Go to https://www.translink.co.uk/ and click "Event Travel" at the top of the page. The special services are listed in there.

Advertisement