Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Seve OB wrote: »
    Was up there yesterday
    FANTASTIC!

Great set up, Sky Zone was cool, 7th hole looks unreal, one of the nicest looking holes I've ever seen. walked pretty much all of the course, will see it so different on tele now at the weekend.
    Got lessons in the tented village, got to try the robot simulator set at Deshambles swing (weird).
    Got my name 12th on the Long drive simulator St Andrews 18th hole at 277 yards, I'm sure by the weekend I'll be pushed down to 20th :D
    free loch lomond whiskey tasting and the whiskey cocktails were bloody tasty. recommend the middle one, sorry can't remember name
    enjoy everyone

Cheers for the info Seve, sounds great. Did you note any good vantage points for seeing a few holes simultaneously? Back of the 9th on the map seems ideal but depending on terrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Sounds amazing Seve. Can't wait to get up there. How did you get on with regards using a bank card? Did everywhere inside accept it or was cash king?

I’m up for the week. Card accepted everywhere and you get an extra discount if you use MasterCard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

LizT wrote: »
    I’m up for the week. Card accepted everywhere and you get an extra discount if you use MasterCard.

didn't notice that.
    was wondering why the ice cream man asked if it was masterard!!

didn't notice that.
    was wondering why the ice cream man asked if it was masterard!!

Yeah it’s only 5 or 10 percent I think.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Cheers for the info Seve, sounds great. Did you note any good vantage points for seeing a few holes simultaneously? Back of the 9th on the map seems ideal but depending on terrain.

back of 7th tee you can watch the 6th hole quite well and 7th drives.

I didn't go up many grandstands but some up around the 12th 14th will give views of a few holes.
    I think it was 13 & 17 which have greens beside each other and grandstands either side

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I know it can be hard to tell from practice rounds, but any sense for how difficult (or otherwise) players are finding the course so far?

blackwhite wrote: »
    I know it can be hard to tell from practice rounds, but any sense for how difficult (or otherwise) players are finding the course so far?

didn't see one ball find rough yesterday. some serious run offs at the greens, could cause problems with pin seeking shots to difficult positions.
    no wind yesterday, will be a different story when it picks up Is my guess but I can see a good few low rounds.

prediction is we will see winning score between -10 & -15

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

didn't see one ball find rough yesterday. some serious run offs at the greens, could cause problems with pin seeking shots to difficult positions.
    no wind yesterday, will be a different story when it picks up Is my guess but I can see a good few low rounds.

Approach play seems to be the key this week as if you miss some of the greens on wrong side or in the run offs then you will need to be like seve to get up and down. I would love to see lowry go close this week and he won a North of Ireland championship at Royal Portrush so knows the course well from his amateur days even with some of the changes made for Open. Can scramble around the greens with the best of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

no sterling in the pocket
    contactless was accepted everywhere right down as far as the Mr Whippy truck

Thanks for that. The excitement is building now. Great they do free lessons - any use? What was the robot simulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,577 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Good stuff.

Headed up for Sat & Sunday, so hopefully will see some decent golf played :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Been out on the course all morning, weather has been fairly brutal and from the groups I've watched most are struggling to hit greens. With similar weather predicted for tomorrow I can't see too many low scores. Friday and Saturday might be kinder weather-wise by the looks of things.

ok so for the free lessons, you need to go ASAP and register, as soon as you walk through the gate. It was grand yesterday with smaller crowds but will be so busy on tournament days.

so in through the turnstyles up on the right hand side in first tented village you will see the swing zone, registration desk at the front. you get 15 minutes, chipping, putting or full swing, choose on registration and they give you a card with a time slot booked in, so you won't be waiting around, can go off and come back later on.

i went for putting (god knows i need the help) but to be honest, there was nothing stopping me booking in 2 or 3 times. proper lesson here, uses blast swing analyser and explains you issues, gives a little report at the end.

Any sign of a mizuno stand or truck? Need to find it for Friday, nothing on twitter or websites.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The excitement is building now. Great they do free lessons - any use? What was the robot simulator?

i think it was this one.

https://robogolfpro.com/

So it is programmed with a swing, as i say they had Deshambles swing loaded. you just hold the club, keep your head down and let the robot take over. i think they should leave it with Deshambles swing as it is sooooooo unusual. he has a very high swing, doesnt seem to swing round the back at all, and on the downward plane you will be amazed at the wrist action and how late he cocks them

the robot moves very slowly and methodically. the idea is that you would use it a lot rather than hitting balls it is training your muscles along a very particular swing plane. you are making the exact same and correct movement every single time. so that when you do hit balls, your muscle memory will learn the swing you are trying to build.

don't do what i seen a few lads do and while holding the club, they seem to stand up and look at the robot moving. you are trying learn a swing and if you don't assume the correct position you are not going to feel it. well ok, you aren't going to learn a swing in one go, but you are trying to feel the swing they have loaded.

Any sign of a mizuno stand or truck? Need to find it for Friday, nothing on twitter or websites.

loads of tour trucks down at the range. i didnt go around to them though so not sure if they are just there for the professionals or open to the public

loads of tour trucks down at the range. i didnt go around to them though so not sure if they are just there for the professionals or open to the public

Sound thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Any decent places in Coleraine to watch the golf in a pub from mid afternoon on Saturday? Going on Sunday, so will have a day of tv on Saturday.

It’s in the open zone down at the practice range.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Blud wrote: »
    Any decent places in Coleraine to watch the golf in a pub from mid afternoon on Saturday? Going on Sunday, so will have a day of tv on Saturday.

You'd be better getting the short bus into Portstewart

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

I have one hard copy ticket to sell for tomorrow face value. Im heading up myself this evening after work so id like to get it offloaded before that. PM me if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

Chopper83 wrote: »
    You'd be better getting the short bus into Portstewart

Is Portstewart just a better town for a pint?

Would I be better getting the shuttle to Portrush altogether and taking in the atmosphere over there for the day?

LizT wrote: »
    It’s in the open zone down at the practice range.

Excellent, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

i think it was this one.

https://robogolfpro.com/

So it is programmed with a swing, as i say they had Deshambles swing loaded. you just hold the club, keep your head down and let the robot take over. i think they should leave it with Deshambles swing as it is sooooooo unusual. he has a very high swing, doesnt seem to swing round the back at all, and on the downward plane you will be amazed at the wrist action and how late he cocks them

the robot moves very slowly and methodically. the idea is that you would use it a lot rather than hitting balls it is training your muscles along a very particular swing plane. you are making the exact same and correct movement every single time. so that when you do hit balls, your muscle memory will learn the swing you are trying to build.

don't do what i seen a few lads do and while holding the club, they seem to stand up and look at the robot moving. you are trying learn a swing and if you don't assume the correct position you are not going to feel it. well ok, you aren't going to learn a swing in one go, but you are trying to feel the swing they have loaded.

Cheers Seve. This and your lessons advice are much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭harpsman

McIlroy is regarded as the favourite, I honestly don't fathom the hype in Portrush. His high ball flight is an uneasy fit for links golf, particularly if the wind kicks up. Mind you, I would be delighted to eat these words on Sunday evening.
    Not to mention he hasn't come near winning a major on any course in 5 years.

Dont understand why anyone would back McIlroy at 10/1. Stick an e/w bet on fowler or dustin if you want a value bet

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Blud wrote: »
    Is Portstewart just a better town for a pint?

Would I be better getting the shuttle to Portrush altogether and taking in the atmosphere over there for the day?

Absolutely much much better. It's on the coast too. Please don't stay in Coleraine and head into Portstewart instead. Harbour bar and a few others on the promenade would be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Going on Friday, cant wait, going to be there early but will probably just concentrate on the golf. If I'm there on the Saturday will try get a lesson in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Interested in people's experience tomorrow of the park and ride. I’m doing the round trip from Dublin on friday with 2 kids in tow. Just hope the park n ride and feeder buses both ways run smoothly. Apart from that can’t wait for it!! Great reading people’s experiences so far. Any bargains to be had on the merchandise front? On the website the prices are very steep to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
    McIlroy is regarded as the favourite, I honestly don't fathom the hype in Portrush. His high ball flight is an uneasy fit for links golf, particularly if the wind kicks up. Mind you, I would be delighted to eat these words on Sunday evening.
    harpsman wrote: »
    Not to mention he hasn't come near winning a major on any course in 5 years.

Dont understand why anyone would back McIlroy at 10/1. Stick an e/w bet on fowler or dustin if you want a value bet

The ball flight thing is interesting. Like most probably, i've always assumed high ball flight would not be an obvious asset when it came to playing links golf. Not so apparently, at least according to Padraig Harrington at least. Harrington was on the coach clinic thing on sky yesterday, showing how to play various shots using the wind and made the comment that, actually, having a high ball flight was an advantage in launching a ball into the wind and claimed that was the reason why the Americans tended to do well in the Open. I was a bit stunned hearing him and wonder would other pros actually agree with him, but thought it was quite significant and thought provoking coming from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

On the lookout for a ticket for Friday if anyone has one spare. I'm already up here but know a bunch of lads leaving tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Rahm must have a decent chance surely?

Advertisement