Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 148th Open at Royal Portrush

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

It has started.
    Google Maps show road closures at Portrush.
    Today is the first practice day for spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,764 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Anyone else noticed how the Irish golfers accents have become more normal over the last few weeks?
    McGinley and even McDowell are listenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

It has started.
    Google Maps show road closures at Portrush.
    Today is the first practice day for spectators.

Good for google, there are certain roads that are closed all week, others close to course that are no stopping/no waiting/ permit parking only, no different to Lahinch and definitely every other Open Championship, my dad is in already and says it’s v quiet, no problems at all, that will definitely get busier that’s for sure..I’m leaving in a couple of hours to go for the week, should be a stellar week.

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Any info of any evening entertainment around Portrush after the golf?

There is absolutely loads to do in local area. There’s the Giants Causeway, a site like no other, absolutely free, park outside and not in official car park. 15 mins drive
    Also v close to Giants Causeway is the Carrick a rede footbridge, I think u can book this in advance. Not too expensive, well worth a trip
    There is also a number of Game of Thrones sites, these are very popular, eg the Dark Hedges, again about 15 mins drive and free again.

Locally Portrush are putting on a party for the full week,

Live music, golf themed stuff, golf simulators in the town,50ft long putt, bunker challenge, PGA lessons, washing machine challenge, and a giant inflatable dart board to try.
    An artisan market,
    A history of Golf exhibition
    Lots of kids stuff as well...

Try these links

https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/live-148th-open/#about-intro

https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/LIVE-148-OPEN-PROGRAMME.pdf

If your heading out for the nite head down to the Harbour area, there are a few pubs there and 5 eateries all owned by the same Ramore group, all are absolutely fantastic, and not too expensive,the Ramore is the one where John Rahm said in his winning Lahinch interview that he eat in every night when he won the Irish Open in Portstewart and he mentioned he would be eating there every night again.
    U just walk in and ask for a table , in summer it’s packed anyway and you have to wait 20 mins to one hour, no problems, just sit at the bar and have a drink.
    There’s the Harbour bar (and food) next door with all pics of Gmac on the wall, ( front bar), that’s one of his locals when home...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

redhill
    Thanks for that, very much appreciated.
    I wish I knew where the park and ride car park was. The Opengolf site gives no info.
    It would be handy if I could watch practice in the morning, early afternoon, get an idea of the course and the Open village so I can know where to go for the rest of the week, then explore the area.
    My plan is to drive up early tomorrow 5 am from Dublin.
    A few minutes ago I booked my dogs in for their "holiday" and will be dropping them off at 17:30 this afternoon.
    My sterling, euros, and credit card might get a battering in Portrush.
    I think this is going to be the best Open ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

It'll have to go some to beat the Stenson v Mickelson Sunday shootout

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

redhill
    Thanks for that, very much appreciated.
    I wish I knew where the park and ride car park was. The Opengolf site gives no info.
    It would be handy if I could watch practice in the morning, early afternoon, get an idea of the course and the Open village so I can know where to go for the rest of the week, then explore the area.
    My plan is to drive up early tomorrow 5 am from Dublin.
    A few minutes ago I booked my dogs in for their "holiday" and will be dropping them off at 17:30 this afternoon.
    My sterling, euros, and credit card might get a battering in Portrush.
    I think this is going to be the best Open ever.

One of the Park and Ride is in the Ulster University campus in Coleraine. So is the camping village. I was up there today and used the park and ride its about 10 - 15 mins from Portrush. Plenty of buses waiting when we arrived about 10.30 am and the last return bus today was 8 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Looking forward to heading up on Wednesday night for the first two days.

Anyone any experience of the camping at the Open, is there much craic at the bar, or should we go into portrush in the evenings?

And do they tend to put the lesser “names” out very early in the morning or do I need to be out on the course for 7 am?

Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Just an idea.....

I'm heading up Thursday and Friday. Would any boardsie type folk be interested in setting up a WhatsApp group, can give updates on good view points, good pints, where to avoid, whatever, up to date on site info.

I'll set it up an email address to collect numbers so everyone can stay in the shadows...... if there's an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Re the groupings, there will be star groups in the am and the pm. Lesser lights will be out v early and v late. There will be a biggie feature grouping at 8am or so. That was always Tigers slot when he played in the morning and might well be again this week. All the big guns will be between 7 and 9am. Then same again in the afternoon, based around a grouping at 1 or 2pm.

But tbf with the event thats in it, you can be assured of quality golf no matter what time you get there. The 'lesser lights' as I referred to them, are in form, because they didnt qualify based on sitting comfortably in the top 50 in the rankings or some kind of legacy exemption; theyve played serious golf in the last month or two, either in qualifying through a pga or euro tour tourney or through the final qualifying, which is a pretty cut throat way of making it. They mightnt have the experience yet but they can all play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

durkadurka wrote: »
    Looking forward to heading up on Wednesday night for the first two days.

Anyone any experience of the camping at the Open, is there much craic at the bar, or should we go into portrush in the evenings?

And do they tend to put the lesser “names” out very early in the morning or do I need to be out on the course for 7 am?

Really looking forward to it.

Go into Kelly's or the harbour. Kelly's have a fanzone, the harbour has 5 restaurants and a bar all attached as one (same owners)7No bookings, just rock up. Bar on the campsite closes at 11 afaik, think last orders 10:30. Campsite is quiet early, lads up first thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,312 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Any idea when tee times are announced?

meolwan wrote: »
    One of the Park and Ride is in the Ulster University campus in Coleraine. So is the camping village. I was up there today and used the park and ride its about 10 - 15 mins from Portrush. Plenty of buses waiting when we arrived about 10.30 am and the last return bus today was 8 pm.

Yep, there looks to be 6 in total, others were on B62 road from Ballymoney, somewhere after Ballybogey, another in Coleraine off the ring road and one in Portstewart right at the start grid of the NW 200, we used this one and were at course 10 mins after getting on bus, though quietish day yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭techdiver

Weather forecast looks to be horrendous for Sunday!

Hoboo wrote: »
    Just an idea.....

I'm heading up Thursday and Friday. Would any boardsie type folk be interested in setting up a WhatsApp group, can give updates on good view points, good pints, where to avoid, whatever, up to date on site info.

I'll set it up an email address to collect numbers so everyone can stay in the shadows...... if there's an interest.

might be interested in this.
    I don't know the holes that I should be aiming for.
    should I bring binoculars?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭MacGyver007

techdiver wrote: »

The UK Met Office is not quite so pessimistic:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcg60d3cz#?date=2019-07-21

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

Accuweather seem to be giving a similar forecast, its probably still early days

Tee times and pairings are out

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

https://www.theopen.com/teetimes

How would this look like for Friday? Reverse?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

https://www.theopen.com/teetimes

How would this look like for Friday? Reverse?

Tee times for R2 are always published at the same time. It's an option on the website, look above Darren Clarke and to the left of the 'NTT Data' logo. Click 'Round 1' on the button and you'll get an option for Round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭JP85

Would be good if the first people staying at the Open camping at the university can give an update on what its like such as shower facilities, is there a bar and food there? do they take card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Am I missing the Wednesday practice day times? Cant seem to find them listed

Am I missing the Wednesday practice day times? Cant seem to find them listed

You won't see them listed. There are no official practice times. I would imagine most players will only play 9 holes on Wednesday and I think it's fairly flexible in terms of when they go out.

For example Poulter is playing 11 holes this morning and the last 7 tomorrow (as per himself on Instagram).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,110 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

techdiver wrote: »

YR has it as torrential rain for Wednesday and Thursday also

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Phil the Thrill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shankel

Have Daily Parking Tickets for Wednesday and Thursday if anyone is interested? Offering at face value, £30 total for the two.

DM if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

Was up there yesterday, place is looking immaculate.

Who does everyone fancy?

My shortlist of 4 is:
    Rahm
    Spieth
    Kuchar
    Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

You won't see them listed. There are no official practice times. I would imagine most players will only play 9 holes on Wednesday and I think it's fairly flexible in terms of when they go out.

For example Poulter is playing 11 holes this morning and the last 7 tomorrow (as per himself on Instagram).

But today, yesterday and sunday were listed on the open site. Just not Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carrick76

Does anybody know what the story with car parking is? I've a hotel booked for Wednesday and Thursday night in Portrush. The hotel doesn't have parking. I've booked the park and ride for Wednesday and Thursday but apparently you can't leave the car overnight in the park and ride.

I imagine it will be busy in Portrush, I'm travelling up from Galway, would I be better to park in the train station in Coleraine and get the train to avail of overnight parking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

carrick76 wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the story with car parking is? I've a hotel booked for Wednesday and Thursday night in Portrush. The hotel doesn't have parking. I've booked the park and ride for Wednesday and Thursday but apparently you can't leave the car overnight in the park and ride.

I imagine it will be busy in Portrush, I'm travelling up from Galway, would I be better to park in the train station in Coleraine and get the train to avail of overnight parking?

I was planning on parking overnight in the Coleraine University park and ride which is close to Portstewart

Advertisement