Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Yeh. Rory Cowan

Not sure if Alan kavanagh aka al porter was involved in the production/ writing of the panto but he def wasn’t on stage.

Al Porter co wrote the panto, of course he tweeted all about it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jrop wrote: »

Any link?

Can’t see any tweets on his account about it.

The last seems to be from 3/4/18 when he made a statement about a disastrous attempt to relaunch himself by appearing at the George bar - he was booed off stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Jrop wrote: »

https://www.thejournal.ie/rory-cowan-replaces-al-porter-panto-3708062-Nov2017/

Interestingly the new promotional photos featuring Rory Cowan show Cowan holding a script saying “Polly & The Beanstalk by Karl Spain”. Spain and Porter were previously listed as the show’s co-producers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I read it on dailyedge or a similiar website. May not have not been an actual tweet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,346 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

odyssey06 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/rory-cowan-replaces-al-porter-panto-3708062-Nov2017/

Interestingly the new promotional photos featuring Rory Cowan show Cowan holding a script saying “Polly & The Beanstalk by Karl Spain”. Spain and Porter were previously listed as the show’s co-producers.

Ahhh. Interesting. They must have hidden Porter’s involvement as they know it’s bad press and ppl would have boycotted it :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

doc11 wrote: »
    emma ledden

Works for LinkedIn I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Bredabe wrote: »
    Fairly sure that he was in panto this christmas.

OH NO he wasn't!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anyone know who the continuity announcer at the end of this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,514 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I thought he was brilliant . He had a true interest in sport and wasn't just pretending to like the others.
    My own view might have been clouded by my own almost total lack of interest in sport. He just seemed like gammon to me, trying to butt in with standard gammon opinions on every news discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Renko, great insight, it really added to my day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

I just remember Aidan Cooney asked to do a fitness piece for Ireland Am, where he was to log his sessions in his quest to lose weight and engage in exercise.
    He tried it and in the end he gave up and wrote a fantasy piece about what a b**ch his female PT was.

In fairness he walked the Dublin Marathon in 2006 for charity 7hrs+

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Clodagh Mc Kenna seemed to disappeared off the teli .Well until today when she popped up on Sunday Brunch and my god was she annoying .
    I went to “Clodagh’s Kitchen” in Arnotts once and it was ****e. Service was indifferent and I remember my dessert being incredibly dry, even with cream. She always seemed more about The Brand than the actual food.

This reminded me of a recent interview of hers in the Times. She’s actually moved to London and living with a guy whose family owns the castle used in Downton Abbey. So there ya go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She's on the radio with Sean O Rourke right now. Sounds like a right dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

Clodagh McKenna was on the Ray Darcy tv show last week with her partner.
    Pat O Mahony (off the rails fame) has a show on Newstalk -Saturday mornings

Who was that Irish stand up comedian who used to do terrible novelty songs and was big for a while in the early to mid 80's? Looked like the lovechild of Art Garfunkel and Marty Feldman, mad staring eyes and balding curly hair. There was something weird about his teeth as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Who was that Irish stand up comedian who used to do terrible novelty songs and was big for a while in the early to mid 80's? Looked like the lovechild of Art Garfunkel and Marty Feldman, mad staring eyes and balding curly hair. There was something weird about his teeth as well.

Dermot Carmody?

Or was it the English comedian-Jasper Carrott? (He's completely bald now)

Or something McGinnity-the guy who the IRA kidnapped?

Dermot Carmody?

Or was it the English comedian-Jasper Carrott? (He's completely bald now)

Or something McGinnity-the guy who the IRA kidnapped?

No none of them. I think this guy used to have comedy albums out, or tapes. He used to project a kind of smutty image but I think he was fairly middle of the road, probably along the lines of Brendan O Carroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭apieceofcake

No none of them. I think this guy used to have comedy albums out, or tapes. He used to project a kind of smutty image but I think he was fairly middle of the road, probably along the lines of Brendan O Carroll.
    I think you might be thinking of Richie Kavanagh?

Found him, it was this guy, Paul Malone. I'd seen this on Discogs a few months ago and was trying to remember his name again.

R-11557767-1518462136-7399.jpeg.jpg

Found him, it was this guy, Paul Malone. I'd seen this on Discogs a few months ago and was trying to remember his name again.

Jeeez....there's a guy who has some secrets in the basement...

He's apparently still going...but can someone make him stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Brian Dowling who was a political reporter on RTE. He seems to be gone over the past few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Where is the guy who used to be in tv3 morning show. Did sports coverage. He was great and suddenly disappeared?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Where is the guy who used to be in tv3 morning show. Did sports coverage. He was great and suddenly disappeared?

Aidan Cooney? He was part of the virginmedia purge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

judeboy101 wrote: »

Aidan Cooney? He was part of the virginmedia purge
    Pity hes gone. Unfair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Whatever happened to Liam Nolan who I remember was a sports presenter on RTE in the 1970s and early 1980s? I wonder is he still alive?

th?id=OIP.HYR2QMISX3HhBvYEli-5NQHaEt&w=300&h=190&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7
    AFAIK he is still alive. I’ve spoke to him a good few times, a gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Pity hes gone. Unfair

Still has his radio prog on Q102 in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Alan Cantwell, of TV3 (Now Virgin One) News and before that Clare FM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTE newsreader Richard Crowley, he was considered something of a sex symbol. Were he and Ann Doyle considered an item at some point or was that just a running joke? I remember a comedy sketch about then on Davis At Large (show that was like the Live Mike but with Derek Davis).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

branie2 wrote: »
    Alan Cantwell, of TV3 (Now Virgin One) News and before that Clare FM

Another victim of the great virgin media purge

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Another victim of the great virgin media purge

Nah, he left before then to be PR to that daft bint who literally told him 'write something about education' in a PR document.

I think he was always moving away and coming back to TV3/ Virgin Media.

Probably went into PR or similar. A testy individual, frankly-some times he was decent, other times you got the feeling he didn't want to be there and acted like a jerk.

Advertisement