Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,276 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

branie2 wrote: »
    Lee Magors and Lindsay Wagner, stars of the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman respectively.

Didn't realise they were both irish :)

Both of them have worked consistently, Majors in particular. Not many actors with leading roles in 2 series that reached 100 episodes or thereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Oops! my mistake, I forgot they weren't Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Any no wereabouts og Fran cosgrave ex westlife bodyguard think he done a stint on BB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Whatever happened to Liam Nolan who I remember was a sports presenter on RTE in the 1970s and early 1980s? I wonder is he still alive?

th?id=OIP.HYR2QMISX3HhBvYEli-5NQHaEt&w=300&h=190&c=7&o=5&pid=1.7

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Any no wereabouts og Fran cosgrave ex westlife bodyguard think he done a stint on BB

Is he that scummy looking prat who was in a Celtic Tiger era TV ad (forget what for) where he had a line "get a gaff, get a life" or something to that effect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

Dont know about the ad.But possibly had a catchphrase of some sort. He was on love Island and had a bromance with calum best later a bodyguard for shane ward to keep the "girls fans at bay".. now thats rock n roll 🀘

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Is he that scummy looking prat who was in a Celtic Tiger era TV ad (forget what for) where he had a line "get a gaff, get a life" or something to that effect?

Yeah, it was one of the Lotto's 'text to do the lotto' things, which I think they've started up again.
    I think that advert was so reviled, it killed the idea. Nobody used it. It showed a company who was trying to be 'hip with the kids'... *insert sighing emoji*
    Dont know about the ad.But possibly had a catchphrase of some sort. He was on love Island and had a bromance with calum best later a bodyguard for shane ward to keep the "girls fans at bay".. now thats rock n roll ��

Also had a kid with one of the Atomic Kitten ladies (the one who has 4 kids with 4 different guys and isn't Kerry Katona).

He's a lifecoach, now. Or was. He hasn't done much in a good few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah, it was one of the Lotto's 'text to do the lotto' things, which I think they've started up again.
    I think that advert was so reviled, it killed the idea. Nobody used it. It showed a company who was trying to be 'hip with the kids'... *insert sighing emoji*

Also had a kid with one of the Atomic Kitten ladies (the one who has 4 kids with 4 different guys and isn't Kerry Katona).

Very unprofessional presentation effing and blinding and going off on tangents. He comes across as unhinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Liam Nolan passed away. He was from Cobh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

She was on TV yesterday, in the film Flight of the Doves from the 1970s, and I think it was her only film.

Flight Of The Doves brings back memories.I remember scenes from it being filmed in Clonmacnois and Shannonbridge in Offaly near where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I remember it had him snapping his fingers when he delivered the "get a gaff" line and generally coming across like a right jumped up arrogant gobshyte. Colin Murphy ripped the piss out of it on the Blizzard Of Odd in this segment where he'd do critiques on TV adverts.

Very unprofessional presentation effing and blinding and going off on tangents. He comes across as unhinged.

You'd be surprised...the amount of folks who pull the 'swear like a naughty school kid' at presentations...
    Most of em you end up wanting to slap, the rest you slowly but surely realise they're tossers...during the presentation.
    It's irritatingly uncommon, and they're often vapid wasters.
    I remember it had him snapping his fingers when he delivered the "get a gaff" line and generally coming across like a right jumped up arrogant gobshyte. Colin Murphy ripped the piss out of it on the Blizzard Of Odd in this segment where he'd do critiques on TV adverts.

And tons of quick cuts and so on. And he was just that kind of jerk. He has a twitter too, similar 'flashbacks to Love Island' rubbish.
    Blizzard of Odd was such a treasure trove of cringiness-poor Colin's never reached the same heights since.

Some of the shows he's done since would appear on BoO then.

I forgot, that Fran Cosgrave advert had the music from Body rockers ' i like the way you move' playing in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Salpa wasn't long disappearing out of the limelight when she got stuck into Joe Penna, the millionaire hedgefund manager.

I don't see as much of the other Irish model, Nadia Forde now either. She was stuck in everything there for a while (not that I was complaining, mind)

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Salpa wasn't long disappearing out of the limelight when she got stuck into Joe Penna, the millionaire hedgefund manager.

I don't see as much of the other Irish model, Nadia Forde now either. She was stuck in everything there for a while (not that I was complaining, mind)

She was in the papers a few weeks back, Forde I mean. Has gotten engaged to a rugby player or football player.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Brush Shiels?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

She was in the papers a few weeks back, Forde I mean. Has gotten engaged to a rugby player or football player.
    Brush Shiels?

I didn't know he played :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

gerrybbadd wrote: »

Nadia is engaged to Dominic Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Anything Goes presenters

I know that Aeongus McaNally is presenting on radio

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Doireann Ní Bhrian . She dissappeared off the face of the earth . Then I realised she was the woman who announces the LUAS stops !'
    An Cloigín Gorm , An Cappal Dubh etc !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

Does Aengus do the DART?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

The Anything Goes presenters

I know that Aeongus McaNally is presenting on radio

Series producerr on Liveline apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

For all you Fran Cosgrave fans out there, here's one of his "hit" records:

He DJ'ed for a while in those uber-tacky clubs that seem to be in every town across the UK - you know the ones that would have actors off Eastenders or Page 3 girls come and DJ for an hour etc. (as opposed to proper house music DJs). He was on MTV Dance Floor Chart one time talking about the above track and his other business at the time which was "Celebrity Bouncer" or something like that.....basically Fran would come and "work the door" for 30mins for £10k or something like that. Nice work if you can get it I suppose but you really do have to wonder.....

Used to love laughing at him......does anyone have a link to the ad that's mentioned earlier in the thread? I lived in the UK for a while so fear I must have missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,596 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Doireann Ní Bhrian . She dissappeared off the face of the earth . Then I realised she was the woman who announces the LUAS stops !'
    An Cloigín Gorm , An Cappal Dubh etc !

Not true, it's these lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

KKkitty wrote: »
    Was it Bernard McHugh. He did a weird thing with his front teeth I think.

The bould Bernard is featured here, very strange fella. This is a blast from the past. Brendan O Connor pre cuddly era and Dara O Brien plus Sean Moncrief when they both still had hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Jack Gleeson, King Joffrey

Until First Dates Ireland the other night i had completely forgotten about Pat O'mahony. To be honest he came across the finest on it

darkdubh wrote: »
    The bould Bernard is featured here, very strange fella. This is a blast from the past. Brendan O Connor pre cuddly era and Dara O Brien plus Sean Moncrief when they both still had hair.

Brendan was a bit of a smug nasty pr1ck back then to be honest. I like him though nowadays. Dont like his new show as such because of the regulars he has on but he was a far better chat show host than Tubs or Ray not that its much of a challenge. Not afraid to ask the hard questions but in a sensible way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Brendan was a bit of a smug nasty pr1ck back then to be honest. I like him though nowadays. Dont like his new show as such because of the regulars he has on but he was a far better chat show host than Tubs or Ray not that its much of a challenge. Not afraid to ask the hard questions but in a sensible way

Yeah I remember him well on DFTG and he often came across as a bit of a bully, he used to come out with some right shyte in the Sindo as well. Will he ever live down that one he put out just on the brink of the property crash about all the ballsy guys buying houses?

• Advertisement

<snip>

He's pretty much safe in RTE-no losing his gig, in that his father in law is the ex DG of RTE.
    Only a few years back, during some 'take back the streets' street protest, he came out acting like a complete douchebag, and threatening to fight 'everyone' on the street...big raging potato head on him. As one article, at the time, noted-he was desperate to be on TV. I suppose marrying into it was his way of staying there.

His chatshow...even he admits was sh*te. When he made a total cockup of the P*ssy Riot interview, he should have handed back his wages right then and there. ('C'mere to me girls....' at radical feminists was just one of his condescending questions. And I'm no feminist fan). Still comes out with rubbish, notably defending Al Porter...

I've tried watching his show, and tbf, he often does get good guests...and then never challenges their opinions.

He's even less tolerable than Clare McKeown, and she was like nails on a chalkboard, tbh.

Advertisement