Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

RTE newsreader Richard Crowley, he was considered something of a sex symbol. Were he and Ann Doyle considered an item at some point or was that just a running joke? I remember a comedy sketch about then on Davis At Large (show that was like the Live Mike but with Derek Davis).

Retired in 2017, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Grainne Seoige back on screen on the Six O'Clock show on Virgin Media.

Radio5 wrote: »

Muireann's on holiday. At least, she is according to her instagram page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Radio5 wrote: »

I thought she left to live in SA?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Who was that guy with the big sideburns and greasy rocker quiff who used to be on Scratch Saturday in the early 90's (or whatever incarnation it was at that point)? I remember not liking him much, came across as full of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

His name was Brian Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

branie2 wrote: »
    His name was Brian Graham

Yeah I think thats him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Now produces Living with Lucy. The horrors.

Yeah I think thats him.

He's married to Mary Kingston.

I knew that

• Advertisement

Brian Reddin, another Scratch Saturday presenter, and presenter of the movie series, The Last Picture Show, has been out of the picture (no pun intended) for a while.

branie2 wrote: »
    Brian Reddin, another Scratch Saturday presenter, and presenter of the movie series, The Last Picture Show, has been out of the picture (no pun intended) for a while.

He's a producer now-he produced that Excalibur documentary that was on RTE a while back. The one about the making of the movie.
    Also did a documentary about Roger Corman's time in Ireland, when he had a studio here to make low budget movies. (And got Ciara O'Callahan aka Yvonne from Fair city to go topless)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Also did a documentary about Roger Corman's time in Ireland, when he had a studio here to make low budget movies. (And got Ciara O'Callahan aka Yvonne from Fair city to go topless)

That was a great documentary; TG4 really knocks the socks off the other branches of RTÉ when it comes to commissioning great docs on a very limited budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Did anyone see that Theresa Lowe and Frank McNamara were bankrupt?
    I mean how does anyone as an RTE lifer and a Barrister on the refugee/immigration gravey train go bankrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Did anyone see that Theresa Lowe and Frank McNamara were bankrupt?
    I mean how does anyone as an RTE lifer and a Barrister on the refugee/immigration gravey train go bankrupt?
    Bad life choices.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Bad life choices.

No, Not doing doing your leaving cert and ending up on smack can be down to bad life choices.

Being on the never ending salary in RTE and milking that immigration gravey train in your middle ages is down to down right recklessness and greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No, Not doing doing your leaving cert and ending up on smack can be down to bad life choices.

Being on the never ending salary in RTE and milking that immigration gravey train in your middle ages is down to down right recklessness and greed.
    Different type of bad choices that normal people who don't see the heroin trail as a career option might take. They had debts of €3m and assets of a lot less. Someone made some very bad calls along the way.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Different type of bad choices that normal people who don't see the heroin trail as a career option might take. They had debts of €3m and assets of a lot less. Someone made some very bad calls along the way.

Gaybo was another dope with more money than common sense. He lost many fortunes but was always on the RTE gravey train. For godsake they are still paying him for the last 25 years to NOT take another contract with rival TV stations.

Folks always think you're supposed to be smarter as time goes on. They forget how anyone can mess up. Plus, some of the dumbest people I've met are the ones who think they know it all.
    The intelligent ones are the folks who know they don't know it all, but want to. It's why so many continue to read books-it's the closest you'll get to understanding the world.

Plus, some of the dumbest people I've met are the ones who think they know it all.

yeah I met them all before. The get rich quicks and the lets buck the system.

One of them was a girl working while on the dole so she could get the full allowance to go back to college and the amount of paranoia and lying and double checking lies...... it would have been cheaper on her health to go straight. (she had 2 houses and a boyfriend in the public service. she would live in your pocket.) Dont worry Karma found her in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Gaybo was another dope with more money than common sense. He lost many fortunes but was always on the RTE gravey train.

Ah now, he was very unlucky - his accountant, whom he was so close to as to make him godfather to one of his kids, embezzled all of his money at one stage.

yeah I met them all before. The get rich quicks and the lets buck the system.

One of them was a girl working while on the dole so she could get the full allowance to go back to college and the amount of paranoia and lying and double checking lies...... it would have been cheaper on her health to go straight. (she had 2 houses and a boyfriend in the public service. she would live in your pocket.) Dont worry Karma found her in the end.

We are definitely going to disagree on this, but that wouldn't be the type of thing I'd call getting rich quick.
    I mean, if she was planning to put it toward something productive, I wouldn't see that as negative.

The kind of people I'm talking about are folks who have like 3 kids with 3 different women, but they collect the children's allowance and 'dole it out' to the moms, while skimming much of it for themselves. Then they claim other benefits, rather than work, and often drink or smoke (tobacco or weed) the rest of the money. Essentially the women are tied to them because of the kid, or are being gaslighted.
    They will pay for absolutely nothing themselves (barring drink, cigarettes or weed) and are nearly always bumming something off of others.
    They're not productive, and it's not like they have some kind of disability (mental or physical), or work related injury that prevents them from being able to do stuff. They just don't want to.

I know this one particular individual DJ's or remixes music. If you met him, the whole WORLD owes him something. At one point, one of his exes' mother's reported her for child neglect, so he had to appear in court. The kid was handed over to his grandmother, and to hear him tell the story... everyone in court lied, except for him, and there was a world of lies told in court.
    Because of course, putting the child's well-being first and foremost is a bad thing. I think he was more disappointed that the child allowance and single parent allowance for that child wasn't going to him anymore. :(

We are definitely going to disagree on this, but that wouldn't be the type of thing I'd call getting rich quick.
    I mean, if she was planning to put it toward something productive, I wouldn't see that as negative.
    :(

I know what you mean but I am talking about a different person.
    She was nasty, snobby, manipulative, cheating and snobby.
    She was working under the counter and drawing the dole. She was doing the "cheap courses" expecting the top jobs. She would get me and her boyfriend to proof read and research her essays and scold us when we came in working late and didnt have the energy to do so. She got her come uppance and couldnt stand on her own two in industry and got relegated to the 4th division in the company after failing her professional exams and being dismissed from a few companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mod note - back on topic guys

Does Mike Murphy make much appearances anywhere now? Got a soft gig with RTE, might probably make an appearance on that Twink documentary.
    But outside of that-seems to be taking it easy.

And another one-Sinead Desmond, former Ireland Am presenter. She's gone underground, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

In a proper world Twink would be making a guest appearance in a Mike Murphy documentary.

I think Mike dirtied his bib in RTE by going pro Palestine versus Israel.

............... on that Twink documentary.
    But outside of that-seems to be taking it easy.

Ain't no one got time for that crap...... Zip up yer Mickey!!! The State of ye! Chloe cant show her face!

sligojoek wrote: »
    In a proper world Twink would be making a guest appearance in a Mike Murphy documentary.

I think Mike dirtied his bib in RTE by going pro Palestine versus Israel.

Which is good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Gaybo was another dope with more money than common sense. He lost many fortunes but was always on the RTE gravey train.

Ah now, he was very unlucky - his accountant, whom he was so close to as to make him godfather to one of his kids, embezzled all of his money at one stage.
    Yeah Russel something. A bastard

• Advertisement

Ain't no one got time for that crap...... Zip up yer Mickey!!! The State of ye! Chloe cant show her face!

Oh God-I wonder will it delve into how horrible Twink is?

And will Linda Martin be on it?

Advertisement