Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Just stumbled across this thread.
    RSVP magazine usually do a 4-5 page spread on these celebrities just when you think they have gone away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Fran Dempsey who used to play Fortycoats on telly in the early 80's. Not Ian Dempseys dad despite a long running urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Fran Dempsey who used to play Fortycoats on telly in the early 80's. Not Ian Dempseys dad despite a long running urban myth.

If Fortycoats was nearly 35 years ago then he would be long retired but I imagine the would be involved with producing in the backrooms of RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

If Fortycoats was nearly 35 years ago then he would be long retired but I imagine the would be involved with producing in the backrooms of RTE

Probably sitting in RTE canteen waiting to regale us with some nostalgia on the Late Late show!

Probably sitting in RTE canteen waiting to regale us with some nostalgia on the Late Late show!

The great thing about RTE is that it is like Army. You can always find some rich mans child, a looser, give him a rank and shove him into some unit, away from the action and keep him safe. Dont worry about the cost, the tax payer will pick up. "Ohhh Ohhh Monies for the Oorts, wont someone think of the Orts, the Orts anyone?!?!?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,638 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Anna Nolan seems to vanished back into semi obscurity. For a BB contestant she had a long enough celebrity shelf life.
    She's working for one of the independent TV production companies - COCO
    https://twitter.com/annanolan70

Doesnt she also have some high flying qualifications in Science from UCD?

Yes. She was wasted on RTE. Was on Off The Rails and some kids shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tbf, she was pretty rubbish on them-especially Off the Rails. I imagine she got a lot of gigs based on her looks, her failed girl band, and less anything else.
    Lots of RTE presenters were quite poor, tbh. Even now, Liz is still pretty poor.
    You need to look at who daddy was. Most of these talentless montrose idiots are all pushed into the Billie Barry school at 4 and emerge out the other end as popstars and RTE Royalty

https://www.thephoenix.ie/article/huibrecht-luykxs-lifestyle/

Huibrecht Luykx-didn't know her dad was loaded, but also didn't know he's not allowed near businesses for 5 years (or 4, depending on the date of the issuing ruling-or if he appealed it).

We know Tubridy was pretty much at RTE since he was a teen, as were others like that Aiden what's his face.
    RTE doesn't require hard work-it just requires being connected to the right people.

https://www.thephoenix.ie/article/huibrecht-luykxs-lifestyle/

Huibrecht Luykx-didn't know her dad was loaded, but also didn't know he's not allowed near businesses for 5 years (or 4, depending on the date of the issuing ruling-or if he appealed it).

That is more likely her brother, Her father was Albert, the Belgian Business man/ arms dealer. I actually handled some of them third rate FN FALs and the handguards rattled. They were incorporated into the Regular Army stores (seeing as the Irish government paid for them).

The right horse on the wrong course. She did a short lived science program on RTE and I thought she was fantastic. Stupid idea not to retain the program

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

That lad who used to present 'No Disco'. Not the original guy. He had kind of an annoying personality.

That lad who used to present 'No Disco'. Not the original guy. He had kind of an annoying personality.

Wait, wasn't No Disco's most notable presenter the late Uaneen Fitzsimons? Which presenter do you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Wait, wasn't No Disco's most notable presenter the late Uaneen Fitzsimons? Which presenter do you mean?

There were only 2 male presenters, Donal Dineen from Rathmore , but he probably meant "Leagues" O'Toole... haven't a clue what happened to him tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

It was the guy who presented it after Uaneen died. Kind of a weedy-looking guy. I think he had longish sideburns. I'm starting to wonder if I imagined the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There were only 2 male presenters, Donal Dineen from Rathmore , but he probably meant "Leagues" O'Toole... haven't a clue what happened to him tbh
    It was the guy who presented it after Uaneen died. Kind of a weedy-looking guy. I think he had longish sideburns. I'm starting to wonder if I imagined the guy.

Yeah, Leagues O'Toole. He works for Aiken Promotions now.

https://twitter.com/foggynotions

Skid X wrote: »
    Yeah, Leagues O'Toole. He works for Aiken Promotions now.

https://twitter.com/foggynotions

A very bland individual, that guy. I remember him absolutely ending that show-we went from the energetic, warm individual that was Uaneen, to the wooden, cold presenting of Leagues.
    He was the wrong presenter for that show-but nobody could save it, tbh. Once Uaneen died, that was the end of No disco.

I'm trying to remember the name of this Dublin comedian who was slightly high profile for a brief period in the early 90's then seemed to disappear without trace. He had a very distinctive face, thin, bug eyed and longish floppy hair. And no its not Andrew Maxwell though he did kind of look like him. He used to do comedy songs with an acoustic guitar. He was in one of those early Aids awareness TV adverts that starred various Irish clebs of the time. (Pat O Mahony of Head To Toe being the only other one I can remember)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I'm trying to remember the name of this Dublin comedian who was slightly high profile for a brief period in the early 90's then seemed to disappear without trace. He had a very distinctive face, thin, bug eyed and longish floppy hair. And no its not Andrew Maxwell though he did kind of look like him. He used to do comedy songs with an acoustic guitar.

Dermot Carmody.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Dermot Carmody.

Yes that's him. The last time I saw him in anything was some low budget Irish independent film circa mid 90's. He has the kind of face you don't forget, after that he seemed to disappear off tv etc.

Yes that's him. The last time I saw him in anything was some low budget Irish independent film circa mid 90's. He has the kind of face you don't forget, after that he seemed to disappear off tv etc.

Think he's pretty regular at the Liffey Laughs. He never reallly tried to be anything other than a standup comic. Which isn't a crime, in and of itsself. Just when other comics were doing tv, radio, albums, standup gigs etc, he sort of stuck to the main scene. Saw him on tv, a while back, on the anniversary of Dermot Morgan's passing. He sang one of Dermot's songs.

But yeah, he sort of drifted, really. I think comedy in Ireland kind of changed, and the likes of Dermot and 'The Nualas', for example, sort of seemed like a different time or era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Not sure if someone mentioned this already Pat O Mahony (not Pat O Toole ) is on the First Dates series currently being shown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I'm trying to remember the name of this Dublin comedian who was slightly high profile for a brief period in the early 90's then seemed to disappear without trace. He had a very distinctive face, thin, bug eyed and longish floppy hair. And no its not Andrew Maxwell though he did kind of look like him. He used to do comedy songs with an acoustic guitar. He was in one of those early Aids awareness TV adverts that starred various Irish clebs of the time. (Pat O Mahony of Head To Toe being the only other one I can remember)

As Pat O`Mahony was mentioned here what ever became of him?

Think he's pretty regular at the Liffey Laughs. He never reallly tried to be anything other than a standup comic. Which isn't a crime, in and of itsself. Just when other comics were doing tv, radio, albums, standup gigs etc, he sort of stuck to the main scene. Saw him on tv, a while back, on the anniversary of Dermot Morgan's passing. He sang one of Dermot's songs.

But yeah, he sort of drifted, really. I think comedy in Ireland kind of changed, and the likes of Dermot and 'The Nualas', for example, sort of seemed like a different time or era.

He must be one of the few Irish comedians from that period to not appear in Fr Ted, at least I'm pretty sure he wasn't in it.

As Pat O`Mahony was mentioned here what ever became of him?

Was on First Dates, the Irish one, a few months back.

Shirley Temple Bar. Used to present Tellybingo on RTE 1. Presumably still doing panto or whatever they were up to beforehand but largely disappeared from the spotlight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Shirley Temple Bar. Used to present Tellybingo on RTE 1. Presumably still doing panto or whatever they were up to beforehand but largely disappeared from the spotlight.

Is still presenting Telly Bingo, out of drag. Same person

L1011 wrote: »
    Is still presenting Telly Bingo, out of drag. Same person

Ok didn't know that. Hardly ever look at RTE these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Ok didn't know that. Hardly ever look at RTE these days.

If you don't watch rte, what would make you think he dropped out of sight

That lifestyle "guru" Tony Quinn. I know he's living it up in the Bahamas now but I remember in the 90's he used to often appear on RTE and you'd see his books and tapes for sale a lot. He fell out of favour, here at least when details of his shady business practises and weird cult like stuff starting coming out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

He does a thing on the Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk. I had no idea it was him until he started slagging himself off for still doing Telly Bingo. He's pretty funny

Advertisement