Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That lifestyle "guru" Tony Quinn. I know he's living it up in the Bahamas now but I remember in the 90's he used to often appear on RTE and you'd see his books and tapes for sale a lot. He fell out of favour, here at least when details of his shady business practises and weird cult like stuff starting coming out.

Looks like you answered your own query there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There was a magician type lad called Keith Barry. Seems to have gotten better at it lately, I haven't seen him in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

beertons wrote: »
    There was a magician type lad called Keith Barry. Seems to have gotten better at it lately, I haven't seen him in ages.

Disappeared up his own hole last I heard..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,592 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That lifestyle "guru" Tony Quinn. I know he's living it up in the Bahamas now but I remember in the 90's he used to often appear on RTE and you'd see his books and tapes for sale a lot. He fell out of favour, here at least when details of his shady business practises and weird cult like stuff starting coming out.
    He was involved in the EducoGym chain - are they still around Grand Canal Dock?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Quinn_(businessman)#Educogym

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

He does a thing on the Sean Moncrieff show on Newstalk. I had no idea it was him until he started slagging himself off for still doing Telly Bingo. He's pretty funny

Her alter ego is still presenting Telly Bingo. Seems to have retired Shirley Temple Bar.
    Shirley was certainly more likable than Panti, I feel. Used to perform 'You say it best, when you say nothing at all' in Sign language. (Either one or both parents are deaf).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

My Missus Loves him and we go to see him at least once every year. Does the Gaiety and local tours. I think he does Vegas as well. Also has a few DVDs as well. You will also see him credited as a technical Adviser on "Now you see Me" and "Now you see me 2". He taught magic tricks to Morgan Freeman. He is a great entertainer. I always thinks he gives value for money

• Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Rory O'Neill AKA Panti is on the Ray D'Arcy Show tonight I think.

Water John wrote: »

I avoid Ray D'arcy like a racist aunt and uncle... so I won't be watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

Anybody remember a guy called “kev “ he used to do a lot of presenting on Saturday morning kids shows on rte 2 back in the day .

Water John wrote: »

Thank you for reminding me why I dont watch RTE.

• Advertisement

house45 wrote: »
    Anybody remember a guy called “kev “ he used to do a lot of presenting on Saturday morning kids shows on rte 2 back in the day .

Kevin O'Connell? Or 'Kevo'? Works mostly as a producer behind the scenes now, apparently.
    There's an earlier mention of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

My Missus Loves him and we go to see him at least once every year. Does the Gaiety and local tours. I think he does Vegas as well. Also has a few DVDs as well. You will also see him credited as a technical Adviser on "Now you see Me" and "Now you see me 2". He taught magic tricks to Morgan Freeman. He is a great entertainer. I always thinks he gives value for money

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Jesus.

He's a way better magician than Keith Barry in fairness.

Love his water to wine trick.
    And as for the resurrection!!
    Oh my God!!

Anyone know what happened to that chef Clodagh McKenna? Used to be on tv quite alot, even Supervalu ads.

Anyone know what happened to that chef Clodagh McKenna? Used to be on tv quite alot, even Supervalu ads.

On C4 and the BBC quite a lot.. does a bit of TV work in the states too..... doing very well for herself these times

On C4 and the BBC quite a lot.. does a bit of TV work in the states too..... doing very well for herself these times

That's really great to hear. She was a chef that, even if I couldn't follow her recipes, she seemed like a really nice person.

Glad that she didn't have to rely on RTE to further her media presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

She seems to be an absolute nut case when she's on Sunday Brunch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

That's really great to hear. She was a chef that, even if I couldn't follow her recipes, she seemed like a really nice person.

Glad that she didn't have to rely on RTE to further her media presence.

She also had a lovely little coffee and cake area in the corner of Arnotts restaurant .

She seems to be an absolute nut case when she's on Sunday Brunch

Ah she definitely gets a rise out of Simon Rimmer, they're mates and it's a bit of a running joke at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Anyone remember Jonathan Reece Meyers from Cork?
    He was an Oliver Reed type with difficult to work with and substance abuse and issues.
    He was great in the Tudors ,,, but that was it

I'll always remember him as the man who shot the Big Fellow, aka Michael Collins.

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    I'll always remember him as the man who shot the Big Fellow, aka Michael Collins.

Big 'staring head' on him-like he thought that's what acting is supposed to be.

Still working-I think he's in Vikings, atm. Pretty much did a Stuart Townsend and shot himself in the foot every minute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Was Aidan Walsh mentioned further back? This was my favourite section on Blizzard Of Odd, where Colin Murphy would discuss cult and /or just plain bad Irish movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Former RTE presenter /broadcaster Ciana Campbell. Whatever became of her?

071_e8b1ae1418e17e82635edae0acea94dc8246807d.jpg

Former RTE presenter /broadcaster Ciana Campbell. Whatever became of her?

071_e8b1ae1418e17e82635edae0acea94dc8246807d.jpg

Works as a psychoanalyst/ psychologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She's living in Ennis as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pastor Brent

Whatever happened to the redhead girl who hosted the Den by herself in it's final few years? She was very young at the time 19, so I thought she must have had pull to have gotten the job.

Ok he wasn't exactly a celebrity but I'm curious as to what became of the lad who played "Rashers" in this ad. Did he go on to bigger things? He must be well into his 40's now.

Whatever happened to the redhead girl who hosted the Den by herself in it's final few years? She was very young at the time 19, so I thought she must have had pull to have gotten the job.

Everyone in RTE has pull and cash to get into the Billie Barry school of talent. If you arent a politician nephew then your father had a few million that he was hiding from the taxman.

Who was that woman with the big glasses who used to come on the Late Late Toy Show when Gaybo was presenting it demonstrating toys? Was it Roisin of roll it there Roisin fame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,171 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Roll it there Colette.

Advertisement