Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish celebrities who suddenly vanished out of the spotlight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-boyband-star-told-to-pay-2000-over-sex-assault-on-dancefloor-35053936.html

They got p**s poor money according to that article, and nothing in terms of royalties.

I remember hearing one em talking about his time in the group-you're meant to be raking it in, with hits in IReland, and the UK. Instead, he'd have to ask to borrow 20 quid to get a few pints and a taxi.

According to wikipedia, one of em's in interior design, the other runs a multimedia company, and the other one's in America.
    And then there's yer man above... eep.

Although I hate the creeps, Louis Walsh and Simon Cowell are two of the most decent souls in the business. That is not saying much for the industry and the tools that enter it. Anyone who made it with Louis Walsh AND took the advice of the Financial advisors did well and had some where to go when the storm came.
    Simon Cowell is just honest as in your are not going to make it, save yourself the pain and raise children or work in a supermarket.

branie2 wrote: »
    The boy band OTT

Never heard of them. I am presuming they are from Louis Walsh stable. What do you do when you have given the best education years of your life to lip syncing, twirly moves and posing?

I saw a documentary about a group from Limerick, "Area 4" around the same time as Boyzone. You should have seen it! The accounting was staggering. Photography, Publicity, Dancing and recording. Now nothing released, no record deal, no tour, not even sure if there was a gig. They has spent in 18 months £120,000 with no return and the lads hadnt been paid (twice the price of a house). It was business men that were backing them and I am sure they got it back in back taxes. The thing about Louis Walsh and Simon Cowell is that they know how to get you signed and deal and get you those important song writers, Get on radio playlists and what not.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/former-boyband-star-told-to-pay-2000-over-sex-assault-on-dancefloor-35053936.html

They got p**s poor money according to that article, and nothing in terms of royalties.

I remember hearing one em talking about his time in the group-you're meant to be raking it in, with hits in IReland, and the UK. Instead, he'd have to ask to borrow 20 quid to get a few pints and a taxi.

According to wikipedia, one of em's in interior design, the other runs a multimedia company, and the other one's in America.
    And then there's yer man above... eep.

One of them opened a bar in New York 3 years ago, got my brother to do the electrics and then didnt pay him. The bar has since closed. Karma

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

branie2 wrote: »
    The boy band OTT

Their only long term claim to fame is being in Reeling In The Years 1997.

Must have been a slow year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Never heard of them. I am presuming they are from Louis Walsh stable. What do you do when you have given the best education years of your life to lip syncing, twirly moves and posing?

I saw a documentary about a group from Limerick, "Area 4" around the same time as Boyzone. You should have seen it! The accounting was staggering. Photography, Publicity, Dancing and recording. Now nothing released, no record deal, no tour, not even sure if there was a gig. They has spent in 18 months £120,000 with no return and the lads hadnt been paid (twice the price of a house). It was business men that were backing them and I am sure they got it back in back taxes. The thing about Louis Walsh and Simon Cowell is that they know how to get you signed and deal and get you those important song writers, Get on radio playlists and what not.

Nope, not one of Louis' 'attempts'-as in one of those acts that failed for him eg Hometown. From the description you gave, it sounds very similar to how most of those bands were formed-marketing, advertising, production, etc were first and foremost, the music came last. This one song always pops up in Reeling in the Years.

'Best education years of your life'? Huh, that makes no sense. Learning is constant, not just something that fits into a bracket. I have extended family who work in medicine, it's a constant thing that you have to keep learning new medical treatments and other protocols.

Oh-if you do a google for '90s Irish popband' I'm sure there are TONS of em that folks have forgotten (Celia Ahern was in a couple, all crap, never even released a single). Members of The Script were in another boyband,

I remember one of the women from BeWitched tried to start a girl band-and it was a total disaster. She's spoken about it, but essentially she and her financiers invested a ton of money and time in this band of girls....and they were all pretty much stage school brats.
    Their mothers were all like 'put my Joan Doe up in front, she's great-she's way better than Whitney Houston over there'. And then the cat fights would start, and the girls couldn't get along.

Well, it used to be-before one of them took the more 'hands on' approach... And he also competed in The Voice of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Nope, not one of Louis' 'attempts'-as in one of those acts that failed for him eg Hometown. From the description you gave, it sounds very similar to how most of those bands were formed-marketing, advertising, production, etc were first and foremost, the music came last. This one song always pops up in Reeling in the Years.

'Best education years of your life'? Huh, that makes no sense. Learning is constant, not just something that fits into a bracket. I have extended family who work in medicine, it's a constant thing that you have to keep learning new medical treatments and other protocols.

Oh-if you do a google for '90s Irish popband' I'm sure there are TONS of em that folks have forgotten (Celia Ahern was in a couple, all crap, never even released a single). Members of The Script were in another boyband,

I remember one of the women from BeWitched tried to start a girl band-and it was a total disaster. She's spoken about it, but essentially she and her financiers invested a ton of money and time in this band of girls....and they were all pretty much stage school brats.
    Their mothers were all like 'put my Joan Doe up in front, she's great-she's way better than Whitney Houston over there'. And then the cat fights would start, and the girls couldn't get along.

Well, it used to be-before one of them took the more 'hands on' approach... And he also competed in The Voice of Ireland.

Lol I forgot about that guy.

Yep its always easier to learn in your younger years. "You cant teach an old dog new tricks" rings true. the amount of learning you have done in your youth is much easier done in your later years.
    Try getting hired after 35 in a new industry. Most HR Officers will have the quiet word in the corner " We want him under 30, qualified and single so we can work the arse off him until he drops dead." That is the way HR works these days. I remember down in Cork I think they were starting a HR recruitment for women. I think it was gone in 3 months. I never said it was nice or right it is what industry works and it is horrible.

Computing is one of those professions that you have whole change in curriculum every two years. That is why you a massive drop out in programming after 35. How many people do you know over 40 who are programming that dont have a touch of HFA?
    As for the "cousins in medicine"? Yep They arent learning anything new or just extending onto what they know? If they are still doing deep study after 30 then they probably have an autistic streak.
    "What about all the mature student returning?" they arent taking on the harder sciences. They are doing refresher courses or stuff they always had an interest in doing but never got a chance to do.

It is always easier to study in your youth when you dont have complications like family, employment and financially commitments. Things start to get complex and committed after then.

Yep its always easier to learn in your younger years. "You cant teach an old dog new tricks" rings true. the amount of learning you have done in your youth is much easier done in your later years.
    Try getting hired after 35 in a new industry. Most HR Officers will have the quiet word in the corner " We want him under 30, qualified and single so we can work the arse off him until he drops dead." That is the way HR works these days. I remember down in Cork I think they were starting a HR recruitment for women. I think it was gone in 3 months. I never said it was nice or right it is what industry works and it is horrible.

Computing is one of those professions that you have whole change in curriculum every two years. That is why you a massive drop out in programming after 35. How many people do you know over 40 who are programming that dont have a touch of HFA?
    As for the "cousins in medicine"? Yep They arent learning anything new or just extending onto what they know? If they are still doing deep study after 30 then they probably have an autistic streak.
    "What about all the mature student returning?" they arent taking on the harder sciences. They are doing refresher courses or stuff they always had an interest in doing but never got a chance to do.

It is always easier to study in your youth when you dont have complications like family, employment and financially commitments. Things start to get complex and committed after then.

I don't want to derail the thread-but you and I are talking completely different things, and I've got to disagree with you on too much of it. (You're talking external factors-I'm talking physical factors).
    So just do some research on learning-there's not a cutoff point for learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

JJ72

• Advertisement

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    JJ72

Had to google them-sounded familiar.

They broke up because the bass player decided to leave. (They were one of the few bands with a female bass player).

She kind of left music, had a kid, went studying.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/i-knew-after-two-albums-it-was-time-to-leave-jj72-1.2712633

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

a programmer is a programmer

a programmer is a programmer

how many old timer programmers do you know? Ever gone into a company and noticed how they all seem to be under 35 ? Its like cheffing they cant hack it and drop out.

I don't want to derail the thread-but you and I are talking completely different things, and I've got to disagree with you on too much of it. (You're talking external factors-I'm talking physical factors).
    So just do some research on learning-there's not a cutoff point for learning.

There isnt a cut off point for learning but learning certain things at the pace that some courses require .... yes there is a cut off point for that. Yes there are the odd few who break the rule but for the rest of them. Notice how it is easier to learn maths while you are younger.

how many old timer programmers do you know? Ever gone into a company and noticed how they all seem to be under 35 ? Its like cheffing they cant hack it and drop out.

I"m 43 year project manager and we're all of similar age, some of the Oracle guys are about to retire so perhaps I'll hire one or two of these highly experienced kids you speak of..
    I'm going to hazzard a guess and assume you haven't a f***ing notion what you're talking about?

This was your funniest line

"Computing is one of those professions that you have whole change in curriculum every two years. "

I"m 43 year project manager and we're all of similar age, some of the Oracle guys are about to retire so perhaps I'll hire one or two of these highly experienced kids you speak of..
    I'm going to hazzard a guess and assume you haven't a f***ing notion what you're talking about?

This was your funniest line

"Computing is one of those professions that you have whole change in curriculum every two years. "

Yup I had a degree in computers from a crappy IT and on the spectrum. Any chance of an interviewing a 42 yearo old with a 20 year old degree?

Yup I had a degree in computers from a crappy IT and on the spectrum. Any chance of an interviewing a 42 yearo old with a 20 year old degree?

I can actually tell from that post that the answer is no and that has nothing to do with age or spectrum

I can actually tell from that post that the answer is no and that has nothing to do with age or spectrum

Why pray tell is that? Is it because I have no industrial experience?

20 years dude....

20 years dude....

So, I can learn? Do you still believe that?

• Advertisement

There is an ageist movement in HR these days and it's called "culture "...companies define a culture in their organisation and if you look carefully that means "age profile"...

There is an ageist movement in HR these days and it's called "culture "...companies define a culture in their organisation and if you look carefully that means "age profile"...

...... but other than that you would have me in on Wednesday for an interview? But you get both a tax incentive and you get your diversity points?

So, I can learn? Do you still believe that?

old dudes I work with have worked hard for the last 20 years so they haven't noticed "changes in the curriculum " they simply adapt...
    Are you suggesting you qualified 20 years ago and haven't worked? That's entirely different..however all you need to do is a government back to work scheme to get you back in the saddle....I'm currently availing of a spring board masters....its easy apart from juggling work

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I know plenty of them. How many software houses have you worked in that have nobody over 35 in development?

I know plenty of them. How many software houses have you worked in that have nobody over 35 in development?

I have never worked in a software as stated. How many of them do you know that are over 40 that dont have a touch of the ASD? They seem to me to be the only ones that dont either move into project management or drop out.

I have never worked in a software as stated. How many of them do you know that are over 40 that dont have a touch of the ASD? They seem to me to be the only ones that dont either move into project management or drop out.

you have this ridiculous stereotype of developers that i have never witnessed in nearly 30 years in the industry.

Correction. I did know one guy like that about 25 years ago. nobody would give him a job. While they may be brilliant in their way (and this guy was, he wrote a spectrum emulator in basic on his own) they are only brilliant when doing work they want to do. And they dont handle anybody challenging their work very well.

you have this ridiculous stereotype of developers that i have never witnessed in nearly 30 years in the industry.

Brother in law, couldnt wait to get out of programming at 35(UL grad and more money than sense), couldnt hack it. Teacher told me the same thing, her husband was 50 and still proudly programming but her child was ASD. I have two friends who is that are the most amazing guys in security dont have diagnosis and definitely on the spectrum. I am not denigrating progrogramming but you have a look at the fall out rate for first years or any computing course. Its at least 50% drop out, its not the maths, O/S or hardware that is killing them its the coding.

Most of my associates and social group are on the spectrum, the majority are not diagnosed. I find many older people (25+) who are on the spectrum are well past the age of getting a successful diagnosis and completing a successful course of intensive psychotherapy.

Brother in law, couldnt wait to get out of programming at 35(UL grad and more money than sense), couldnt hack it. Teacher told me the same thing, her husband was 50 and still proudly programming but her child was ASD. I have two friends who is that are the most amazing guys in security dont have diagnosis and definitely on the spectrum. I am not denigrating progrogramming but you have a look at the fall out rate for first years or any computing course. Its at least 50% drop out, its not the maths, O/S or hardware that is killing them its the coding.

Most of my associates and social group are on the spectrum, the majority are not diagnosed. I find many older people (25+) who are on the spectrum are well past the age of getting a successful diagnosis and completing a successful course of intensive psychotherapy.

You are extrapolating from your social group and assuming it applies to the rest of the world. It doesnt.

You are extrapolating from your social group and assuming it applies to the rest of the world. It doesnt.

Well you claim to have only met one person with HFA, if briefly. I worked in a center for 2 years (work experience on the never never) with a psychotherapist with 60 students and handling 40 other peoples files going in and out. My local social group has 200 people who were most higher professions coming in and out of the club. I am also invited regularly to large university for meeting with the Autism officer.

Who do you think knows more about ASD?

• Advertisement

Well you claim to have only met one person with HFA, if briefly. I worked in a center for 2 years (work experience on the never never) with a psychotherapist with 60 students and handling 40 other peoples files going in and out. My local social group has 200 people who were most higher professions coming in and out of the club. I am also invited regularly to large university for meeting with the Autism officer.

Who do you think knows more about ASD?

who do you think knows more about people working in the software industry?

Advertisement