Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭YoTaro

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think Na could do Molinari...he is funny that way.

/edit
    Though at 3dn, what do I know!

/editx2

Lol

Ouch!! :D
    Some golf from Molinari

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

McDowell in lead now, Im back in T3

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

It's over, hes in, Na lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well Shane, I guess you're the winner by default....

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

HighLine wrote: »
    Your point?? :confused:
    Rikand wrote: »
    Well Shane, I guess you're the winner by default....

Hardly by default, just because some far fetched sequence of results didn't occur. He's in because he's in the top 50 when it counts. He's earned it.

Go on and enjoy every minute of it now, Shane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭abff

Rikand wrote: »
    Well Shane, I guess you're the winner by default...

Definitely a bit harsh. He would have been very unlucky not to make it into the top 50 for the Masters, but his bad run of results over recent weeks put him at risk.

Having said that, to come back and win 1.5 points from his last two matches after losing to Sergio was a great recovery and was also crucial in terms of staying in the top 50. The margin between him and Snedeker is minimal (2.486 vs 2.484) and not much more versus Olesen (2.404), so those 1.5 points were crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He was fairly hanging on in the end though lol.

Fairplay to him. I'll look forward to seeing him tee it up in Augusta :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lowry makes the Masters with a place to spare - 49th in the latest rankings. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Zaph wrote: »
    Lowry makes the Masters with a place to spare - 49th in the latest rankings. Fair play to him.

And he would have made it if he lost all 3 games

gypsy79 wrote: »
    And he would have made it if he lost all 3 games

That's true, as things turned out. But that's only because Na lost his QF and Im didn't win in the Dominican Republic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,104 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

abff wrote: »
    That's true, as things turned out. But that's only because Na lost his QF and Im didn't win in the Dominican Republic.

or only because he won 1.5 points?

GreeBo wrote: »
    or only because he won 1.5 points?

Actually, no. He needed the 1.5 points to finish ahead of Snedeker. But he would have finished in 50th ahead of Olesen even if he had lost all three matches.

Of course, he didn't know that at the time so the fact that he would have qualified anyway doesn't diminish his achievement in earning those points when under huge pressure to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Well that was worth it.....

I don't think the "draw" was particularly kind to him but I really can't believe what a poor round that was yesterday. After the hole in 1 on the par 3 contest, wife and kid with him, I thought he look relaxed and ready to go. Unless he shoots savage round this evening it's another missed cut and a tale of what might have been...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Panrich

endabob1 wrote: »
    Well that was worth it.....

I don't think the "draw" was particularly kind to him but I really can't believe what a poor round that was yesterday. After the hole in 1 on the par 3 contest, wife and kid with him, I thought he look relaxed and ready to go. Unless he shoots savage round this evening it's another missed cut and a tale of what might have been...

It's a course where you have to have patience and expect to drop a shot here and there. He recovered very well after the bogey at the first and seemed to be getting into the groove but his driving was all over the place and his short game didn't save him yesterday. I think his head dropped a bit towards the end of the round and he frittered away a few shots cheaply. That will cost him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Cut projected at +3 at the moment so he'll need a good round today to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Panrich wrote: »
    It's a course where you have to have patience and expect to drop a shot here and there. He recovered very well after the bogey at the first and seemed to be getting into the groove but his driving was all over the place and his short game didn't save him yesterday. I think his head dropped a bit towards the end of the round and he frittered away a few shots cheaply. That will cost him.

Thing is with his short game being as good as it is, i always think it's a course he could do very well on but has made 1 cut in 4 attempts...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Am disappointed he didn’t make the cut but his recent form in America hasn’t been great and it kind of comes as no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

Currently leading in the States. -5 after 14 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Finished -6.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

paulos53 wrote:
    Currently leading in the States. -5 after 14 holes

Finished -6. Leading for now but early in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Badly needed confidence boost

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

First Up wrote: »
    Finished -6. Leading for now but early in the day.

Still leading and it's late in the day, Ryan Palmer posing a threat for the lead

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Golfhead65 wrote:
    Still leading and it's late in the day, Ryan Palmer posing a threat for the lead

Yes, held up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

No point making the cut after that round and then fall away by Sunday evening. He needs a top 10 finish to boost confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭caddy16

Great start today, birdies in 1st 2 holes

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Blud

3 shot cushion now. Looking solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭basillarkin

dj within 2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Dropped a shot on 13.

Now tied with DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭techdiver

DJ luckiest man on the course today! All over the place off the tee and the birdie on 14 was off the green if it didn't hit the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In water now, collapsing

Advertisement