Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Rikand wrote: »
    beaten 4&2

According to sky he needs to win just 1 match to be guaranteed of making the top 50

ugh, no pressure then!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Likely to still be in top 50 even if beaten in all 3 games but would not be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Remind me wrote: »
    Likely to still be in top 50 even if beaten in all 3 games but would not be good.

Don't think he'll care too much if he gets there. Pressure would be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,791 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Can’t qualify now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Remind me wrote: »
    Can’t qualify now

Is it not top 2 qualify?

If he beats Putnam and Garcia beats Reed (very likely) he'd qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,218 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got the half anyway, good result!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Great chip to secure the half. Even if he doesn’t progress it would be great to get a win tomorrow and secure the masters slot.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

fullstop wrote:
    Is it not top 2 qualify?

Only the group winner qualifies

fullstop wrote: »
    Is it not top 2 qualify?

If he beats Putnam and Garcia beats Reed (very likely) he'd qualify.

Only 1 qualifies. It's why I feel form can go out the window in this event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

To finish top 50 and get in The Masters he only needed one win out of the 3 games according to McGinley. So maybe a tie tomorrow and definitely a win should be enough to qualify for the Masters.

This tournament depends on Garcia and Reed result and Garcia is already in the last 16.

Ryder Cup would suit Lowry. Hopefully he'll be in the next one.

TheCitizen wrote: »

Don't think it would. His matchplay record as a pro is dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,791 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully but I think Lowry may have missed his chance for the ryder cup and lads like Fleetwood, Matt Fitz, matt Wallace, Hatton and Eddie Peperell have all moved ahead of him. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Harrington is a big fan of Shane's and if he doesn't qualify automatically, Padraig will pick him if he's in around the top lads and showing form

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Trampas

TheCitizen wrote: »
    To finish top 50 and get in The Masters he only needed one win out of the 3 games according to McGinley. So maybe a tie tomorrow and definitely a win should be enough to qualify for the Masters.

This tournament depends on Garcia and Reed result and Garcia is already in the last 16.

His record in wgc match play is

R16 T34 T51 T51

Unless he’s banging on door he hasn’t a hope.

Let’s be realistic

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Harrington is a big fan of Shane's and if he doesn't qualify automatically, Padraig will pick him if he's in around the top lads and showing form

Not sure what gives you that impression. He'll need to qualify if he wants to play. Dreadful matchplay record.

fullstop wrote: »
    Not sure what gives you that impression. He'll need to qualify if he wants to play. Dreadful matchplay record.

It’s based on on 1 event though?

What other matchay has he played since turning pro?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Didn't Harrington say on OTB that Shane will need to qualify, that because he is such a fan of him he can't be seen to be favouring him with a pick. Obviously things can change but that's a pretty big indicator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Trampas wrote: »
    His record in wgc match play is

R16 T34 T51 T51

Unless he’s banging on door he hasn’t a hope.

Let’s be realistic

I can't decipher his record from this. Are you saying he has 16 wins and 34 losses out of 51 rounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Just found this...

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2019/03/25/world-golf-championships-dell-technologies-match-play-group-draw-preview.html

46. SHANE LOWRY (3-7-2)

EXPERT PICK: Reed isn't the only match play lover here; Lowry, who tends to fly under the radar, comes out of this group

lol

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    I can't decipher his record from this. Are you saying he has 16 wins and 34 losses out of 51 rounds?

No that’s the finishes he’s had in the WGC. Got to round of 16 one year but hasn’t come out of the groups in other years.

I was having a look last night and he has always had difficult groups due to his ranking going into the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭Trampas

Im going well on pga

Shane won’t like that but once he doesn’t win he should be ok.

A win today would help Shane though as last night half could be huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Justin Harding has won his second match in the match play.
    Sungjae Im is leading in the Dominican Republic

The pressure very much on for Shane big time. In trouble at the 12th and looks like he will relinquish his 1 up lead against Putnam. Squeaky bum time for the Offaly man.

Will the points in Puerto Rico be enough to move somebody that far up the rankings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Looks like Putnam has put it in the water on 13

Mushy wrote: »
    Will the points in Puerto Rico be enough to move somebody that far up the rankings?

Solo 2nd in the Dominican Republic, I believe will be enough for Im to go into the world's top 50.

Solo 2nd in the Dominican Republic, I believe will be enough for Im to go into the world's top 50.

Up 9 places yet loads of those ahead playing WGC too? Seems excessive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Justin Harding's win today is almost certain to move him ahead of Shane in the world rankings. Hard to credit that Shane could manage to fall outside the top 50 before the Masters cut off point, but starting to look quite possible. Fingers crossed!

Mushy wrote: »
    Up 9 places yet loads of those ahead playing WGC too? Seems excessive

Please forgive me Mushy but it seems that with recent results in the match play going against Im, the South Korean needs a win in DR to qualify for the world's top 50. Solo 2nd will not be enough it seems.

The twitter handle nosferatu is the best World ranking guru around. Follow him on twitter and he is the man who is at his element this week, of who's in and out of the Masters and other world ranking news.

• Advertisement

abff wrote: »
    Justin Harding's win today is almost certain to move him ahead of Shane in the world rankings. Hard to credit that Shane could manage to fall outside the top 50 before the Masters cut off point, but starting to look quite possible. Fingers crossed!

What if Shane wins too? Concern would be Bjerregard who got through group

Advertisement