Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Is he in danger of not making the Masters now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not making cuts, not playing = drops in ranking so yes, he's leaving it in the hands of others

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Frustrating. I have him done to be a Major champion before 2021. Masters wouldn't be his strongest anyway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Is he in danger of not making the Masters now?

He's probably done just enough tbh but it could be tight

The people behind him in the rankings and their current position in this tournament

Rank|Name|Tournament
    46th|Charles Howell|T13th
    47th|Thorbjorn Oleson|T18th
    48th|Kevin Kisner|T5th
    49th|Andrew Putnam|MC
    50th|Ben An|T3rd
    51st|Lucas Bjerregard|T23rd

All of the above bar Putnam could jump him with good performances this week

And then theres people like Keith Mitchell, Snedeker, Siwoo Kim, Abraham Ancer, Russell Knox and Luke List. All going well in the tournament and could make big moves with a near top placing.

Plenty to watch this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Harding could jump him this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Trampas

Looks like the down to the matchplay. I expect he’ll need to win 1 game

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Gonna drop 2 places to 47th this week. Big jump from Snedeker after excellent performance in sawgrass. Hopefully doesn’t lose too much more ground this week, gonna be very tight for him in relation to masters i feel.

Only snedeker and Howell jumped him in the end. There was a dose of points to be made but when given the chance the others fell away too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,372 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rikand wrote: »
    Only snedeker and Howell jumped him in the end. There was a dose of points to be made but when given the chance the others fell away too

Howell picked up just 3 OWGR points for coming T35 in the Players but that was sufficient for him to jump two places from 46 to 44 and overtake Shane.

Which just shows how precarious his position is with two weeks to the Masters cutoff - especially as he is not playing in the Valspar this week.

Furyk could be a surprise one to overtake him. He was 191st in the world 2 weeks ago. He's up inside the top 60 now. The big thing for him is that his ranking divisor is 40 but he only actually has 33 tournaments counting for him. This means he's freewheeling more or less on the points gains. If Lowry does nothing in his next tournie and furyk produces anything top 10-ish he could overtake him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Furyk is playing the Valspar this week, which he has won before but might come too soon for him given his age after the weekends exertions.

I reckon Furyk will have a brilliant matchplay which he has qualified for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think it all just goes to suggest Shane won’t get to the masters standing still. He’ll probably hsve to go to matchplay and achieve at least 2-3 results. And that’s how it should be really, just a pity he didn’t get into valspar field this week. Was wondering if he might have snagged an invite but not to be.

The leaderboard page on europeantour.com shows (in the last column on the right) each player's world ranking ('WR') which is very useful if you're tracking your favourite player and want to see if certain players are likely to overtake him in the rankings. The leaderboard on pgatour.com only shows the Fedex rankings.

As the WGC next week is a co-sanctioned event and the ET website will hopefully have a leaderboard (not as an external link), it will be worth keeping an eye on it and especially tracking who is above Shane on the leaderboard and ranked 47-60, they will be the main threat in terms of pushing him out of the top 50.

I'll admit it's a bit early to be getting worried but currently in the clubhouse and tied for 3rd place with Luke Donald are: (current OWGR position in brackets)

Kevin Kisner (50)
    Russell Knox (62)

Others to keep an eye on this week are Chez Reavie (56) and Jim Furyk (57).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any reason why he's not playing the valspar?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He is not a PGA tour member so will have to rely on an invite which was not forthcoming (assuming he asked for one), generally speaking AFAIK most written requests are sanctioned

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

All the confidence he built in winning on the European tour seems to be getting eroded by his stint back stateside. When he won in Abu Dhabi he mentioned afterward how the whole vibe and feel of the European tour from the locker room to even the travel and camaraderie amongst the players, it all added up to him feeling more comfortable on course and results came good.

I know the European tour is fairly garbage at the moment so I suppose he didn't really have much of a choice. Just hope the damage isn't already done by Augusta.

He earned a three year exemption on the PGA tour by winning the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational in 2015. That expired at the end of the 2018 season and, as he finished outside the top 125 in the Fedex rankings (PGA Tour money list) last season, he lost his tour card.

Kisner has emptied the togs

Jim the only threat this week probably

Maybe Sunjae Im if he wins it or Glover or Willett

probably all comes down to the matchplay

Fowler and Scott not playing match play. Not what shane would want as two more who could pass him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Roughly needs 2 players below him not to get into 1/4’s and should be ok.

Results are going his way again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Dell Matchplay Group
    Reed
    Garcia
    Lowry
    Putman

it's the group of all the people who are showing almost zero form. Anyone could come out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Sergio's giving him a trouncing, 4 up at the turn.

Just seems to be out of his depth. 5 down true 10 struggling big time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

1 back. His form just seems shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Another 1 back

3 behind 5 to play

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

beaten 4&2

According to sky he needs to win just 1 match to be guaranteed of making the top 50

Advertisement