Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

2 up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

Does it go on points or position in group? If He wins and Reed doesn't win he finishes solo second in his group (same as Harding)

Good win. Will definitely get masters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Panrich wrote: »
    Does it go on points or position in group? If He wins and Reed doesn't win he finishes solo second in his group (same as Harding)

In relation to Lowry, it is not dependent on where he finishes in the group. Basically by winning his match against Putnam he will get the same world ranking points as Jon Rahm and Cabrera Bello for winning 1, losing 1 and drawing 1 match for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

fullstop wrote: »
    Don't think it would. His matchplay record as a pro is dreadful.

A win and a tie in this tournament, not bad. I disagree I think he'd be a great team player for Harrington's Ryder Cup team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

That's enough for Shane to be in the Masters, Looking forward to cheering on one of our own and into the bargain I'm playing Esker Hills Fri,sat sun of the Masters with 23 other lads and staying over as well, it'll be good athmosphere in clubhouse that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Four birdies on the back nine for a comfortable 3 and 2. Nice going, Shane. Roll on the Masters!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

TheCitizen wrote: »
    A win and a tie in this tournament, not bad. I disagree I think he'd be a great team player for Harrington's Ryder Cup team.

Which brings his record to W4, L8, D3.

Don't know what makes you think he'd make a good Ryder Cup player. If he shows consistent form and plays his way onto the team then I'm sure he'd hold his own, but he's way too streaky to pick unless something changes.

Anyway, he's in the Masters and I'm sure that's all he's looking at for now.

Don't know what makes you think he'd make a good Ryder Cup player. If he shows consistent form and plays his way onto the team then I'm sure he'd hold his own, but he's way too streaky to pick unless something changes.

Tiger Woods Ryder Cup record is W 13 L 21 H 3...Would you say Tiger deserves to be in or out of Ryder Cup team USA... Matchplay Golf is so different that probably the 2nd greatest golfer ever hasn't mastered the format...BTW Jack was and still is the greatest ..haha my opinion

That’s 15 rounds of golf in the last 7 years out of 100’s.

You can hardly call his record dreadful. He has proved he can win big events and there really is nothing to say he wouldn’t be successful in a Ryder Cup.

• Advertisement

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Tiger Woods Ryder Cup record is W 13 L 21 H 3...Would you say Tiger deserves to be in or out of Ryder Cup team USA... Matchplay Golf is so different that probably the 2nd greatest golfer ever hasn't mastered the format...BTW Jack was and still is the greatest ..haha my opinion

He deserves to be in it because he qualifies, but they'd be better off without him IMO. He plays ****e in it by and large and most who play with him seem to as well due to the added pressure.

Remind me wrote: »
    That’s 15 rounds of golf in the last 7 years out of 100’s.

You can hardly call his record dreadful. He has proved he can win big events and there really is nothing to say he wouldn’t be successful in a Ryder Cup.

He has won big events, but what has he done in between? Post his record since Abu Dhabi there if you like.

Ryder Cup is 3 days, and you can't pick someone just because he won once, but missed the cut in half the other tournaments just 'cause he's Irish and a great lad.

He has won big events, but what has he done in between? Post his record since Abu Dhabi there if you like.

Ryder Cup is 3 days, and you can't pick someone just because he won once, but missed the cut in half the other tournaments just 'cause he's Irish and a great lad.

I’ve already said he’ll have to play his way in IMO

I am just questioning your ‘dreadful’ match play record comment from 1 tournament in a round robin format where he has been drawn in extremely difficult groups. His team event record is won 2 lost 1 but you rant away....

He deserves to be in it because he qualifies, but they'd be better off without him IMO. He plays ****e in it by and large and most who play with him seem to as well due to the added pressure.

Totally agree with you but that's what the complex nature of Matchplay golf is, you qualify by all stroke play events then you play Matchplay, that's what makes it so interesting and such a leveller

Remind me wrote: »
    I’ve already said he’ll have to play his way in IMO

I am just questioning your ‘dreadful’ match play record comment from 1 tournament in a round robin format where he has been drawn in extremely difficult groups. His team event record is won 2 lost 1 but you rant away....

Maybe "dreadful" was a little harsh, but it's not good, is it?

The reason he is in 'very difficult groups' every time he qualifies for this week is because you're guaranteed at least 2 players in the top 32 in every group. This year wasn't actually that difficult a group, OWGR number 17 and 27 as the top 2 seeds in the group. In the Ryder Cup, pretty much everyone is in that bracket, so a foursomes victory over Lahiri in the EurAsia cup might not be that much to fall back on.

Anyway, my original point was in reply to someone saying he could get a pick, we both agree that's unlikely. If he plays his way on, he'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

When he is good , he is very very good.......

He certainly blows very hot and cold and you can't depend on which Shane you're going to get on any particular week.

So, I agree if he doesn't play himself on to the team, then he's not Captains pick material.

I really hope that everyone on here is right and he's done enough to get into the Masters. It might be a springboard for his season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭redarmy

HighLine wrote: »

is in unless ALL THREE of these things happen -

*Sungjae Im wins in the Dominican Republic -AND-
    *Bjerregard wins both matches Saturday -AND-
    *Kevin Na reaches the final or finishes 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Trampas

Like Poulter from last year

Kisner still playing so he can push him down a spot so only 2 of above has to happen? As he’s 50th so will push Shane to 49th?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Source: Nosferatu on Twitter.

Erm... huh?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Source: Nosferatu on Twitter.

Your point?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

redarmy wrote: »
    is in unless ALL THREE of these things happen -

*Sungjae Im wins in the Dominican Republic -AND-
    *Bjerregard wins both matches Saturday -AND-
    *Kevin Na reaches the final or finishes 3rd

My calculations are slightly different. I've had a look at the rankings and I've plugged the results so far into a spreadsheet. As we know, Shane is currently 48th in the world rankings.

The bad news is that Kisner and Harding are going to move ahead of him in next week's rankings. The good news is that he's going to overtake Olesen and Snedeker. This leaves him still in 48th, but there are three players who could potentially move ahead of him.

By my reckoning, Bjerregaard needs to reach the quarter finals and Na needs to get to the semi finals in order to move past Shane in the rankings. Im needs a win in the Dominican Republic.

Looks like na and Lucas are getting to next round.

Shane looking hard over the shoulder now

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Na will have to beat molinari, Lucas will have to beat Tiger, and IM will have to win the other tournament. In all honesty if all three happen itll be a full on miracle.

Na will have to beat molinari, Lucas will have to beat Tiger, and IM will have to win the other tournament. In all honesty if all three happen itll be a full on miracle.

I can see any of those things happening...but all of them seems like a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

GreeBo wrote: »
    I can see any of those things happening...but all of them seems like a stretch.

I'm gonna have a punt on Lucas beating tiger, fitness and talent reasons.

Anyone know what are his plans after Augusta? Has he a few invites until pga

I'm gonna have a punt on Lucas beating tiger, fitness and talent reasons.

I think Na could do Molinari...he is funny that way.

/edit
    Though at 3dn, what do I know!

/editx2

Lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭abff

According to my calculations, Lucas only needed to get to the QF to move ahead of Lowry in the rankings.

Advertisement