Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That funeral today

Options
  • 17-04-2021 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Is that level of razzmatazz and expense not obscene? What about all the other old people in the UK this week?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

CUCINA wrote: »
    Is that level of razzmatazz and expense not obscene? What about all the other old people in the UK this week?

The royal family are better than all those other old people you mentioned, so they don't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,592 ✭✭✭✭walshb

CUCINA wrote: »

Hardly razzmatazz now. It’s ceremony. Been that way a long long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Extra user.

The royal family is all about the razamatazz

The theory is that it pays for itself overall

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Don't care about the funeral, rich posh English people can do what they want.

What I want to know is, why the hell is the tricolour flying at half mast? Phillip has next to zero connection to Ireland, other than being married to the woman who is the titular head of state of the North. Will Downing St fly them at half mast if/when Robinson/McAleese/Higgins kick the bucket?

https://www.thejournal.ie/flag-half-mast-for-prince-philip-ireland-5412813-Apr2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,652 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

retalivity wrote: »
    .......the tricolour flying at half mast.....

What the actual fcuk ??

At least tell me RTE aren't covering it today !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,258 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You shouldn't let it worry you really.

If you are concerned about the welfare of the elderly in the UK you could make a donation online to https://www.ageuk.org.uk/

McDermotX wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk ??

Its on rte news now live...
    Where is the tri colour at half mast?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,592 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McDermotX wrote: »
    What the actual fcuk ??

Why so annoyed?

They are our neighbours. It’s 2021. It’s about showing a mark of respect, building bridges, moving on and embracing peace and harmony and good relations..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The theory is that it pays for itself overall

The royal family are probably the biggest tourist attraction in the UK so it's effectively a marketing exercise for GB holidays ltd.

What I want to know is, why the hell is the tricolour flying at half mast? Phillip has next to zero connection to Ireland, other than being married to the woman who is the titular head of state of the North. Will Downing St fly them at half mast if/when Robinson/McAleese/Higgins kick the bucket?

Is it? That’s absolutely disgraceful if so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭Be right back

At least we are not paying for the funeral! I do feel sorry for the Queen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On a scale of 1 to 10 of things to get offended/in a flap about, the tricolour at half mast is about a 0.2.
    Seriously. It's 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Section 8 of the National Flag Guidelines states:

"on the death of a national or international figure, the National Flag is flown at half-mast on all prominent government buildings equipped with a flag pole, under advice from the Department of the Taoiseach."

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/adc448-the-national-flag/

The UK flag guidelines are here:

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/resources/union-flag-faqs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

walshb wrote: »
    Why so annoyed?

They are our neighbours. It’s 2021. It’s about showing a mark of respect, building bridges, moving on and embracing peace and harmony and good relations..

We should be promoting democracy, not bootlicking the family of their unelected head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dont give a sh1t about the funeral but as many irish people fawn over our president as the brits do the royal family as far as i can see ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The Brits are really good at this pomp stuff....but their Jerusalema Callenge attempt needs tweeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,162 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

"on the death of a national or international figure, the National Flag is flown at half-mast on all prominent government buildings equipped with a flag pole, under advice from the Department of the Taoiseach."

We lowered it when the Saudi King died too...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/half-mast-tricolour-ireland-flag-1961127-Feb2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The tricolour is at half mast ? I can understand the union Jack being at half mast but I don’t understand why our flag would be a half mast. Of course it won’t be because most people in the UK won’t know who any of our presidents are.

So there’s a diplomatic reason behind it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

When was the last time it was flown at half mast for an international figure? Can't find much information online, other than the Queen Mother in 2002.
    Was it done when George Bush Sr died in 2018?

EDIT: I see the saudi link now above...

• Advertisement

Its on rte news now live...
    Where is the tri colour at half mast?

One of the tri-colors somewhere i suppose

Is there an official tri-color

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

When was the last time it was flown at half mast for an international figure? Can't find much information online, other than the Queen Mother in 2002.
    Was it done when George Bush Sr died in 2018?

EDIT: I see the saudi link now above...

Don't forget the bould Adolf. Or was that just condolences?
    We probably had closer links to Gaddaffi and Saddam. Did they get the half mast treatment?

Was it lowered for Princess Diana?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

One of the tri-colors somewhere i suppose

Is there an official tri-color

Just the one I used to bring to Rovers matches.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Don't forget the bould Adolf. Or was that just condolences?
    We probably had closer links to Gaddaffi and Saddam. Did they get the half mast treatment?

I think dev just went and expressed his condolences out of rigid diplomatic protocol but it royally pissed of the brits I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Was it lowered for Princess Diana?

I believe so.

That particular week was one of outrageous cringe in this Country. I think the level of cringe was only noticeable after 9/11 when the same gestures were made and we realised that they were appropriate for an event of that gravity, rather than for the death of an individual woman, formerly of a foreign royal family, one with whom, in 1997, we were only beginning to address historic rancour.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just the one I used to bring to Rovers matches.

We should do like the French

2 tri-colors

One stays up and one stays down, no need to move anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

I’m off to bed here but I thought it was a lovely ceremony

You can’t take away from the brits for doing a top job in times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm watching it because I like to see the wonderful castles and cathedrals.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I believe so.

That particular week was one of outrageous cringe in this Country. I think the level of cringe was only noticeable after 9/11 when the same gestures were made and we realised that they were appropriate for an event of that gravity, rather than for the death of an individual woman, formerly of a foreign royal family, one with whom, in 1997, we were only beginning to address historic rancour.

They did indeed. Found an article on it since.

Advertisement