Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That funeral today

Options

Comments

Woke thread --->

Just don’t follow them back to it please. Everything they’ve said is very valid anyway. The ‘woke’ thinking, as you put it, is surely the opposite side of the coin in the ones who think we should be fawning over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Just don’t follow them back to it please. Everything they’ve said is very valid anyway. The ‘woke’ thinking, as you put it, is surely the opposite side of the coin in the ones who think we should be fawning over them.

Not a chance...

The days of over-playing the victim cards and complaining about historical indifferences are over. Some of us have moved on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

spurious wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to 10 of things to get offended/in a flap about, the tricolour at half mast is about a 0.2.
    Seriously. It's 2021.
    walshb wrote: »
    Why so annoyed?

They are our neighbours. It’s 2021. It’s about showing a mark of respect, building bridges, moving on and embracing peace and harmony and good relations..

The two 'most thanked' posts on the site yesterday it's [current year], ...?

...[current year] shouldn’t be an argument for or against anything, seriously... it's current year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Rosita

retalivity wrote: »
    Don't care about the funeral, rich posh English people can do what they want.

What I want to know is, why the hell is the tricolour flying at half mast? Phillip has next to zero connection to Ireland, other than being married to the woman who is the titular head of state of the North. Will Downing St fly them at half mast if/when Robinson/McAleese/Higgins kick the bucket?

https://www.thejournal.ie/flag-half-mast-for-prince-philip-ireland-5412813-Apr2021/

I agree with the sentiment but your comparison is too generous. The direct comparison would be the death of the President's spouse. Can't imagine the Brits would even know who she is never mind reciprocating the gesture.

Not a chance...

The days of over-playing the victim cards and complaining about historical indifferences are over. Some of us have moved on.

They should be owning their history and acknowledging their crimes if they expect everyone to move on. We’ll end up back in the Union without them ever having admitted a wrongdoing like the obedient little puppy we are.

• Advertisement

They should be owning their history and acknowledging their crimes if they expect everyone to move on. We’ll end up back in the Union without them ever having admitted a wrongdoing like the obedient little puppy we are.

Now, that's what I'm talking about!

if that was said about white people on Twitter, someone would post it in the woke thread within five minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It’s the final nail in our coffin as a failed state. It’s also another step along the road of us not being one at all any more.

Hyperbole much.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Hyperbole much.

Was that not sarcasm?!

Now, that's what I'm talking about!

if that was said about white people on Twitter, someone would post it in the woke thread within five minutes.

No, because other countries can manage it fine. Britain are still sailing the seas educating the local savages in their minds.

It’s not even remotely the same as what you’re trying to create.

No, because other races can manage it fine. Whites are still sailing the seas educating the local savages in their minds.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There’s no acknowledgement of the tourists by the Queen unless she waves them from the Beamer.
    [/quote]

I hope she's not reduced to travelling in a BMW.
    Now the important questions, did the Land Rover break down and was it powered by a German diesel, or a proper British thumping V8 petrol.

FYP

It’s still not working. The fact you’re so far off the mark explains a fair bit about the wok thread you reference actually.

It’s still not working. The fact you’re so far off the mark explains a fair bit about the wok thread you reference actually.

You see, what you should have done here is to highlight exactly why the viewpoint of "Britain still sailing the seas educating the local savages in their minds" from an Irish point of view holds more validity than "whites are still sailing the seas educating the local savages in their minds" from an ethnic minority point of view, instead of just opting for the ad homeinem fallacy.

No point in worrying about me going back to the woke thread when you're bringing it over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I did not watch the funeral. I half kept an eye on the headline news around the funeral.

I can't help but feel sorry for an old lady who has been widowed.

When I look at some of the pageantry, I find myself curious.

British folks look on at that funeral, with medals and flags draping coffins, and feel a sense of pride /connection. I don't want to steal the sunshine from their garden.

As an Irish person, it feels like we have to excuse/explain ourselves if we want to acknowledge our own in our own land, in a similar fashion.

R.I.P. Philip and condolences to The Queen , and any family suffering grief in these times.

Ireland has its own that deserve at least as much respect. Maybe our own deserve more respect, if only by dint of the fact that they questioned the privileged and the hurt they caused to those less privileged.

You see, what you should have done here is to highlight exactly why the viewpoint of "Britain still sailing the seas educating the local savages in their minds" from an Irish point of view holds more validity than "whites are still sailing the seas educating the local savages in their minds" from an ethnic minority point of view, instead of just opting for the ad homeinem fallacy.

No point in worrying about me going back to the woke thread when you're bringing it over here.

I’m bringing nothing here. The British establishment have never acknowledged their crimes against other countries. That’s not “woke”, it’s just what’s happening.

I actually can’t even fathom where you’re coming from in calling it “woke” unless it’s just an automatic reaction to anything you don’t agree with. Someone from a country that was one of their victims now fawning over us acting like obedient little subjects surely fits the bill a thousand times more than what you’re attempting to paint here.

I’m bringing nothing here. The British establishment have never acknowledged their crimes against other countries. That’s not “woke”, it’s just what’s happening.

I actually can’t even fathom where you’re coming from in calling it “woke” unless it’s just an automatic reaction to anything you don’t agree with. Someone from a country that was one of their victims now fawning over us acting like obedient little subjects surely fits the bill a thousand times more than what you’re attempting to paint here.

... and the woke community will tell you that whites have never accepted their crimes either...

Arugment by repitition - you're offering nothing new - I've proven my point. No more circles or insults in place of arguments, I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Did you watch Reeling in the Years, the 2010 episode? I’d suggest you do. You’ll see and hear David Cameron apologising for crimes committed on Bloody Sunday.

... and the woke community will tell you that whites have never accepted their crimes either...

Arugment by repitition - you're offering nothing new - I've proven my point. No more circles or insults in place of arguments, I'm done.

Offering nothing new :D when you’ve basically just repeated the words “woke” and “whites” for the past page of posts. Before we get into just how woke self loathing is (whether it’s for being white or being Irish), I think the best for everyone is to stick each other on the ignore list and not bore everyone else as much as it’s boring me now.

Also there have been zero insults, so stop waving imaginary cards trying to get them handed out. It’s a very sneaky one to pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

chrissb8 wrote: »
    The famine was not all that long ago. To put it into context, my grandmother's grandmother would have been around for the famine. Again, I rewatched older than Ireland tonight and you had people 1st hand telling you about Croke park, black and tans etc. In their lifetime.

I don't know how there can be any sort of building of relations, within a modern sense, when Britain has not openly acknowledged its damages to the countries it ruled over, but in fact, celebrates them. And as pointed out above, were very recent in committing these damages.

We will move on as a nation when Britain openly comes to terms with its colonial history. And isn't openly shoving it in people's faces. I'm not banging on the drum of resentment for the sake of it. There is a lot of good in England and from all the bs which anchors it in some belief that Britain was a force of good for the world, the royal family serves as a strong reminder of that said bs.

There's a strong reason why people don't baulk at German national pride. If you go to Berlin it is openly acknowledged through museums, memorials and every German citizen is told of their indelible red mark on recent history that they must never forget.

The same cannot be said for Britain.

So why would an Irish national broadcaster show a Royal procession? Which served as a lynchpin for one of the most tyrannical regimes in that of the British empire. That same royal family that revelled in being the figurehead for many countries taken by force.

It's embarrassing and it is perfectly natural to feel a natural resentment to any fawning by any Irish institution.

I’m sorry about your grandmothers mother’s loss

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

CUCINA wrote:
    Is that level of razzmatazz and expense not obscene? What about all the other old people in the UK this week?

We hardly do these kind of things for our dignitaries, do we?

• Advertisement

Ireland can be the bigger person and be nice or go down the little person path and keep bringing up historical things that the British people know nothing about , we can educate them as we go :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

About 300,000 British people live in Ireland. About 1/2 million Irish people live in Britain.
    Because of the natural centuries long ebb and flow between the 2 countries, Ireland is the only EU country to whom many of the new brexit conditions just don’t apply.
    The trade in goods between the 2 countries is massive and crucial for both economies.
    Part of the UK exists on our island.
    The spouse of their sitting monarch dies at a very great age and we fly a mask at 1/2 mast.
    And the huffing and puffing here from some is laughable.

Not a chance...

Saying a day is over isn’t really proof of it. Ireland has had people wishing to downplay history since 1921. Thinking like that is probably what encouraged Flanagan to try commemorate the RIC, which worked out badly for him.

So we should respect the British royal traditions as their own traditions but not fawn over them.

I don’t think anyone actually believes people travel to see the royals behind glass like in the zoo

Yeh, so what’s the attraction then? if the monarchy rather than the buildings was the attraction then it would precisely be the Queen “behind glass” that attracted the crowds.

You’ve actually pointed out the fallacy of using “whites” indiscriminately for some white ethnic groups. Even the term Europeans (as in European colonialism) is problematic, there are 44 nations in Europe, of which only a few had empires outside Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Saying a day is over isn’t really proof of it. Ireland has had people wishing to downplay history since 1921. Thinking like that is probably what encouraged Flanagan to try commemorate the RIC, which worked out badly for him.

So we should respect the British royal traditions as their own traditions but not fawn over them.

FFS No one is "fawning" over them, getnover yourself and just accept that the funeral (wether you like it or not) was news and therefore the national TV station showed it. A flag at half mast has the usual barstool Republicans having absolute meltdowns, its probably a good thing the pubs are closed, imagine the shìte talk the poor barmen would have had to put up with yesterday :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Ckendrick wrote: »
    About 300,000 British people live in Ireland. About 1/2 million Irish people live in Britain.
    Because of the natural centuries long ebb and flow between the 2 countries, Ireland is the only EU country to whom many of the new brexit conditions just don’t apply.
    The trade in goods between the 2 countries is massive and crucial for both economies.
    Part of the UK exists on our island.
    The spouse of their sitting monarch dies at a very great age and we fly a mask at 1/2 mast.
    And the huffing and puffing here from some is laughable.

Fully agree. And most of the huffing and puffing has no actual meaning. This is 2021. Not the early 20th century...

Many huffing and puffing for one reason only: “Oh, I thought that’s what we were supposed to do.”

I find it so immature and ignorant..

Yeh, so what’s the attraction then? if the monarchy rather than the buildings was the attraction then it would precisely be the Queen “behind glass” that attracted the crowds.

I don’t know or care but the figures are there to be scrutinised at your leisure

FFS No one is "fawning" over them, getnover yourself and just accept that the funeral (wether you like it or not) was news and therefore the national TV station showed it. A flag at half mast has the usual barstool Republicans having absolute meltdowns, its probably a good thing the pubs are closed, imagine the shìte talk the poor barmen would have had to put up with yesterday :rolleyes:

It was a great show of pageantry, symbolism, respect and pretty good music. I love those brass and drum bands.

• Advertisement

I don’t know or care but the figures are there to be scrutinised at your leisure

Are they? That’s what I am disputing. Any chance of a link where the evidence is that the non presence of the Queen sees a major drop in tourism to London particularly outside the palace. Like in August.

Advertisement