Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That funeral today

Options

Comments

walshb wrote: »
    Why?

Maybe 30-40-50 years ago, but hardly now..

He’s not your prince b.

It’s odd. The death of a European head of state, yes. Lower the flag. But not the spouse of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Did they ? I was of the opinion given the political situation at the time it wouldn’t have happened.

An article below describes complaints when it flew at half-mast for the Queen Mother.

From the article:
    Similarly the gesture had been observed for the funerals of popes and for the funerals of former President Juan Peron of Argentina and Lord Mountbatten, assassinated by the IRA in 1979.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/flags-fly-at-half-mast-in-face-of-protests-26051144.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its only a funeral at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I thought they were all dressing up as admirals and stuff? Sitting here dressed as Cromwell feeling a right twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

Was it lowered for Princess Diana?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭IngridM20

I’m surprised with myself but I watched it live. Well, the beginning and end anyway. Felt sorry for the Queen sitting there all alone at the top. Anyway RIP. I don’t think our flag should be at half mast. Overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,616 ✭✭✭✭walshb

touts wrote: »
    Not a single person of colour in the service. Exactly how Philip would have wanted it.

No issue with racism they say. I suppose when there is no one of race anywhere near you then you can't really be racist

That you, Meghan?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

They’re a family in mourning but Christ on a bike the waffle on bbc filling in the gaps is almost comical

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

KungPao wrote: »
    I wonder if Elizabeth will remarry? I’m available if she’s up for it. Fancy some of that fame and lifestyle.

Will I have to convert to Church of England? Heard they don’t have much time for Catholics.

You'll be fine.
    The rules changed a few years ago so that Catholics are now allowed to marry the members of the royal family, and that member of the royal family can retain their position in the succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Why did his Defender have no number plates? He’s probably waiting on the dvla to inspect it and give it a Q plate.

It was never intended for use on public roads. Registration not required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

retalivity wrote: »
    Don't care about the funeral, rich posh English people can do what they want.

What I want to know is, why the hell is the tricolour flying at half mast? Phillip has next to zero connection to Ireland, other than being married to the woman who is the titular head of state of the North. Will Downing St fly them at half mast if/when Robinson/McAleese/Higgins kick the bucket?

https://www.thejournal.ie/flag-half-mast-for-prince-philip-ireland-5412813-Apr2021/

FG have always been the West Brit party. Losing a royal is no different than losing a president here to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

The royal family are probably the biggest tourist attraction in the UK so it's effectively a marketing exercise for GB holidays ltd.

And Windsor was so beautiful today that the place will be overrun with bus loads of tourists all buying coffee and ice cream for the entire summer.
    We badly need to get something like this going but we won’t .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

humberklog wrote: »
    The Brits are really good at this pomp stuff....but their Jerusalema Callenge attempt needs tweeking.

It’s spelt with an r. Twerking. ;)

Not a single person of colour in the service. Exactly how Philip would have wanted it.

No issue with racism they say. I suppose when there is no one of race anywhere near you then you can't really be racist

Are you insane? At least 1/3 of the military on display today were of colour and or female. You haven’t a clue what your talking about, and you obviously didn’t watch any of it.

Ckendrick wrote: »
    And Windsor was so beautiful today that the place will be overrun with bus loads of tourists all buying coffee and ice cream for the entire summer.

The spire was our attempt

Are you insane? At least 1/3 of the military on display today were of colour and or female. You haven’t a clue what your talking about, and you obviously didn’t watch any of it.

I think he/she/they is referring to the service which limited to 30 family and clergy

Windsor would be overrun by tourists even if the royals weren't there. Paris Athens and Rome's buildings and history manage fine enough.

I think he/she/they is referring to the service which limited to 30 family and clergy

Is he suggesting that the C of E is racist or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You can't be racist when your dead. :pac:

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Are you mental?

That type of tourism isn't what we're looking to promote at all. Our attractions that do attract busloads; Blarney, Cliffs of Moher, Newgrange etc are all at capacity (in normal years). We're not one bit interested in the coffee and ice cream brigade, we want adventurers, self guided activity junkies, foodies and all that.

Windsor will always do well for the UK, its handy to London and historical, but the rest of the town itself is a bit sad looking and its a withering offering rather than a one with huge potential.

• Advertisement

We’ll take anything

Is he suggesting that the C of E is racist or something?

The family are for not having any mixed race family members

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Are you mental?

That type of tourism isn't what we're looking to promote at all. Our attractions that do attract busloads; Blarney, Cliffs of Moher, Newgrange etc are all at capacity (in normal years). We're not one bit interested in the coffee and ice cream brigade, we want adventurers, self guided activity junkies, foodies and all that.

Windsor will always do well for the UK, its handy to London and historical, but the rest of the town itself is a bit sad looking and its a withering offering rather than a one with huge potential.

Legoland is deadly though.

Is that why Prince Charles walked his mixed race daughter in law up the aisle when she had personally banished her own father?

Is that why Prince Charles walked his mixed race daughter in law up the aisle when she had personally banished her own father?

I didn’t see her did you see her :)

But, her physician wouldn’t let her travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Vulgar display of wealth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

CUCINA wrote: »
    Is that level of razzmatazz and expense not obscene? What about all the other old people in the UK this week?

Can't exactly remember which Gallagher said it (Liam or Noel) but one of the them said around the time Diana died "if it was my mum nobody would give a f**k" - clearly he didnt get the big deal about Diana's death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Lovely short service. If it was mine I would have liked more flowers, horses, children and dogs... HRM was amazing to stand alone throughout the service. Several times I wanted to give her a supportive elbow/handhold. IMO BBC coverage was dignified and respectful. I liked the converted landrover/hearse. Organ player was class but I'd love ShaneMcGowan/NickCave/BillyBragg/WillyNelson/DollyParton/MaryBlack/SineadOConnor/TomWaits to sing my last rites but I'm a believer1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm suprised but despite La Revoloution it was covered on France2 not much razmataz but dignified within the confines of ceremony and proctocol. Huw had too much studio tan.

Advertisement