Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That funeral today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Slideways wrote: »
    I’m off to bed here but I thought it was a lovely ceremony

You can’t take away from the brits for doing a top job in times like this.

Are you in the future because it's not over yet and it's not bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They did indeed. Found an article on it since.

I’ve zero memory of flags being lowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slideways

AllForIt wrote: »

It’s 10pm here buddy, definitely past my bedtime

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The royal family are probably the biggest tourist attraction in the UK so it's effectively a marketing exercise for GB holidays ltd.

I really don't buy that defence that monarchists say (not saying you by the way).

France attracts more tourists that UK and it's a republic.

Tourists will come for the country and other things. I don't believe royalty attracts tourism anywhere.

How many people travel to Netherlands, Sweden, Norway or even Thailand because of royalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

FFS, could they not stick on some decent music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I wonder if Elizabeth will remarry? I’m available if she’s up for it. Fancy some of that fame and lifestyle.

Will I have to convert to Church of England? Heard they don’t have much time for Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m not a begrudger at all and in fact I quite like the man he seemed very good at his role in the family but all the things they’re crediting him for were actually done by other people :)
    Like steve jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

CUCINA wrote: »
    Is that level of razzmatazz and expense not obscene? What about all the other old people in the UK this week?

Have you started another other threads about old people in the UK? Or is this not really about that.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't buy that defence that monarchists say (not saying you by the way).

France attracts more tourists that UK and it's a republic.

Tourists will come for the country and other things. I don't believe royalty attracts tourism anywhere.

How many people travel to Netherlands, Sweden, Norway or even Thailand because of Royalty?

You’re missing the point , the royals ARE a uk tourist attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Condolences and all but I think it is a step too far to have our flags on state buildings at half mast.

• Advertisement

The royal family are probably the biggest tourist attraction in the UK so it's effectively a marketing exercise for GB holidays ltd.

I’ve no problem with the U.K. keeping the monarchy, up to them, not I’m dubious about that. Where’s the evidence.

Stated without proof again.

walshb wrote: »
    FFS, could they not stick on some decent music?
    As a lifelong metal fan I love it , pure evil vibes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Condolences and all but I think it is a step too far to have our flags on state buildings at half mast.

Why?

Maybe 30-40-50 years ago, but hardly now..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I raised my eyebrows about it this morning, but I understand now this is neither a new nor an common gesture. And we are talking about the spouse of the Monarch of our nearest neighbour. So 'neighbourly' is fair enough.

Daenerys Stormborn of the House Targaryen, First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons....

....is all I just heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Did we lower the flag when Mountbatten was murdered?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

AllForIt wrote: »

Never mind some poxy funeral...can you tell us what the lotto numbers were?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Northernlily

walshb wrote: »
    Why?

Maybe 30-40-50 years ago, but hardly now..

What is the point of it? The Royals won't even notice we've done it. The perception of Ireland from the British establishment is still very much that it is still its poor peasant neighbour and to an extent lapdog. Brexit has brought up some old wounds and they would throw us under the bus tomorrow for an advantage without a seconds thought.

All round I'd rather we maintain a respectful distance rather than this nonsensical pandering.A word of condolence from the President is sufficient. Nothing more.

KungPao wrote: »

In the 1970s ? Of course we didn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Gonna put Windsor on the map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,267 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Doubt hardly anymore cares much about the flag at half mast tbh.

There's probably a few out there there outraged by everything that'll complain. The rest of the population will say, meh, with a shrug of the shoulders. Nothing story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    In the 1970s ? Of course we didn’t.

I think they did.

Why would we?

We didn't have any pride in our own flag back then, it had been usurped by racketeers, terrorists and killers.

To correct someone above, Philip wasn't a Monarch.

Masala wrote: »
    Gonna put Windsor on the map.

I think Windsor’s already on the map.

Where the coffin gone ?

What is the point of it? The Royals won't even notice we've done it. The perception of Ireland from the British establishment is still very much that it is still its poor peasant neighbour and to an extent lapdog. Brexit has brought up some old wounds and they would throw us under the bus tomorrow for an advantage without a seconds thought.

All round I'd rather we maintain a respectful distance rather than this nonsensical pandering.A word of condolence from the President is sufficient. Nothing more.

What’s the point in not doing it ?

I think they did.

Did they ? I was of the opinion given the political situation at the time it wouldn’t have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nah. The royal history etc perhaps but not the Windsors themselves. More people visit the Palace of Versailles in France than any royal location in the UK, and France hasn't had a monarch for 150 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Not a single person of colour in the service. Exactly how Philip would have wanted it.

No issue with racism they say. I suppose when there is no one of race anywhere near you then you can't really be racist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Why did his Defender have no number plates? He’s probably waiting on the dvla to inspect it and give it a Q plate.

Advertisement