Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

When did I even mention renua lol

Do yer own research bro

You didnt mention any parties, I was merely mentioning one likely candidate. You are advocating people to vote for a non mainstream party so then who are they?

Do you not have some for me? You seem to have every other answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

PostWoke wrote: »
    And in in-season they were going to go... where?

Elsewhere - it’s only intended as a short-term stopgap.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well then shouldn't someone say, 'Enough'.

Because we have a legal responsibility to assess asylum claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You didnt mention any parties, I was merely mentioning one likely candidate. You are advocating people to vote for a non mainstream party so then who are they?

Go and do your own research and report back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭enricoh

It may be dawning on the powers that be and their media mouthpieces that riding roughshod over communities portraying them as far right nazis is not going to work

The game is up for the asylum spoofer industry. The entire media here did their level best to keep it going n belittling the locals.
    There's an election in the next 6 months n local politicians dont want a hint of one these centres opening up near them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pretzill wrote: »
    I think that's being facetious of him Graces - You can't say you welcome them if they could integrate and then not give them a chance to integrate. I wish people in power TD's etc would stop pussy footing around the issue for fear of causing offence. It's simple, any rural community is not suitable for a large migration (per population of area) - Sure where I live we don't have a transport service, no street lighting, and no local shops - That's why people leave rural areas.

No; you are not thinking!

What t hey are sayng is that they would welcome families into houses, For the children to go to school etc, be real citizens and residents.

As he also said Achill has a fine reputation for welcoming folk of all nations. The island has a small and shrinking population. But not a large group of men as was proposed .. How could they integrate with no home, no work? as you say. But if a few families came?

NB many of us come to deep rural areas because of the peace etc; I certainly did .

There is no way any real integration can or is meant to happen with the current system. NO town or village can absorb an influx like this.

The small village on Achill where the hotel is has less then 100 folk, mostly elderly.

The placards at the demos say that the system is wrong not that the idea of immigrants is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

alastair wrote: »
    Because we have a legal responsibility to assess asylum claims.

What about all of those empty army barracks so? Or camps like the French have set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Ha, so says the fella who thinks that not being able to guarantee the safety of 13 women is a victory.

13 women
    27 men.
    On Achill. For the winter. With €30 each per week.
    Sure it’s grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

There’s no link to numbers of refugees voluntarily taken in from elsewhere in the EU. We didn’t actually manage to take in any from Italy, that we had committed to.
    Additional ad-hoc agreements and commitments, have been made since any previous, setting a precedent for the future.

e.g. Only 6 EU member states had agreed to take in 356 migrants from the rescue ship Ocean Viking (just two months ago) that Italy rejected.

Ireland was one. The V4 group, and well actually, the vast majority of the EU said eh, no thanks.

Go and do your own research and report back

No, you seem to know who these parties are. Please tell me. Is it because you are full of **** and the parties you mention are a bunch of headcases?

Come on, please, educate me. The great dirty unwashed mainstream party voter I am.

Why should I do the reaearch when you surely know? Cmon, I may even give them a vote!?

• Advertisement

It’s either
    A. He hasn’t really thought this through as in many previous claims
    Or
    B. He’s justifiably embarrassed at the loons you need to align with, that do actually oppose asylum seekers (your Germa’s and Justin’s)

No, you seem to know who these parties are. Please tell me. Is it because you are full of **** and the parties you mention are a bunch of headcases?

Come on, please, educate me. The great dirty unwashed mainstream party voter I am.

Why should I do the reaearch when you surely know? Cmon, I may even give them a vote!?

Stop harassing me

Go away and do your own research and stop annoying me

Additional ad-hoc agreements and commitments, have been made since any previous, setting a precedent for the future.

e.g. Only 6 EU member states had agreed to take in 356 migrants from the rescue ship Ocean Viking (just two months ago) that Italy rejected.

Ireland was one. The V4 group, and well actually, the vast majority of the EU said eh, no thanks.

We ended up taking nobody from Italy.

What about all of those empty army barracks so? Or camps like the French have set up?

The curragh would actually be a good venue. Once we have a fast track to dublin airport for the refusals who have been given a deportation order?

The French model is nothing to aspire to.

enricoh wrote: »
    The game is up for the asylum spoofer industry. The entire media here did their level best to keep it going n belittling the locals.
    There's an election in the next 6 months n local politicians dont want a hint of one these centres opening up near them.

Asylum seekers won’t be going anywhere. They are a fact of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Indeed. Election coming.

Plan "shelved" according to RTE radio now.

They are talking about all women on the radio but an Achill local I work with was telling me it was supposed to be all men last week.[/QUOTE]

Indeed it was/ They started backtracking when the protests started.

We need to have a fast track system. The genuine cases should definitely be granted and given every assistance

But the other side of it is the refusals should be deported. The Deportation Orders need to be actually enforced. That’s the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There is no financial gain in the asylum claim process.

I have a hotel. It is empty. The government are going to give me money to fill the hotel with people.

Whatever. Not bothered

992f57aae65a48e28cfd4a992f826887.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ye the companies may be non profit but the people in them aren't, they're pulling huge salaries from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Fair play Achill, done the County proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I think its more the legal industry in this case. plenty of appeals, rinse and repeat.
    Remember the Troka recommended major changes to irelands legal system/industry.

What we have is a Legal Industry - Media Circus- Government Department echo chamber, they have no idea what is actually happening in the rest of the country.
    When financial incentives are removed from the legal eagles and with fast and proper vetting the situation would return to some kind of normal, not before then.
    But until that common sense state occurs all we can do is protest and try to ignore the vilification from some very stupid an ill informed people.

The curragh would actually be a good venue. Once we have a fast track to dublin airport for the refusals who have been given a deportation order?

You seem to be unaware of the network of national roads that make accessing international airports relatively straightforward.

Fair play Achill, done the County proud.

Yep. Well done Achill. Brilliant for the Community in fairness

Want to pay tribute to Oughterard too. And I’m hearing Ballinamore will have a positive outcome.

Great to see!!

splinter65 wrote: »
    I have a hotel. It is empty. The government are going to give me money to fill the hotel with people.

How does that financially benefit those in direct provision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I think this is a poor decision and a shameful episode that could reflect poorly on the good people of Achill. The population there is fairly widely dispersed around the island between the various small villages and in ribbon development between them. Plenty of space for everyone, lots of healthy fresh air, a fantastic beach at Keel nearby. It's not as if these asylum seekers would have a major impact on the majority of winter residents. I think it will transpire that this was a small vocal minority inc some blow ins (judging by the radio today) that have done ill to the island peoples reputation.

Yep. Well done Achill. Brilliant for the Community in fairness

Want to pay tribute to Oughterard too. And I’m hearing Ballinamore will have a positive outcome.

Great to see!!

Come on, can you not answer my simple question. I wouldn't be as smart as yourself, a true patriot, so please. Send me some parties names. It is all I ask.

You have all the time in the world to chase praise, just give me those sweet sweet parties I can vote for?

If you don't you may, god forbid, find a family of asylum seekers in your very bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Graces7 wrote: »
    No; you are not thinking!

What t hey are sayng is that they would welcome families into houses, For the children to go to school etc, be real citizens and residents.

The placards at the demos say that the system is wrong not that the idea of immigrants is wrong

It's convenient to blame a "system" - if Achill wants to host families then they should offload some of those awful holiday homes which have destroyed the landscape there.

I'm not disagreeing with you or Mr Ring - I'm saying I don't agree that areas without the proper infrastructure are suitable - that's not the system - that's just a fact of life in rural Ireland in the 21st Century. Saying on one hand you welcome migrants and only on certain terms is speaking out of both sides of your mouth. Ireland's political peers are good at that. It's about time people said it straight.

There's a deserted Village on Achill, a place which was left to disintegrate as people left, due to similiar economic issues a lot of these migrants are facing. We aren't a wealthy country. Would it be just as helpful to Ireland's homeless crisis to rebuild a village like that and rehome some of our homeless on Achill - I don't think so, because they would struggle too. It's just a mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

We ended up taking nobody from Italy.
    You can play around with words but the Ocean Viking (like other such vessels) was parked up off the Italian coast, trying to get to Italy for weeks. (Italy said no).

The majority of the EU rejected them (considering them as illegal economic migrants), only 6 countries agreed, after persuasion. Thus it was an 'additional and fresh agreement and commitment' that you suggested isn't occuring.

Advertisement