Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Not true.

Check mayo news

I know you have an agenda but please realise there are ppl equally as media savvy as you on boards.

It’s true. Check the date there ‘savvy’.

https://www.mayonews.ie/news/34503-arrival-of-asylum-seekers-in-achill-further-delayed

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Originally, the State had planned to house 38 men at the Achill Head Hotel at Pollagh, but changed their plans in the face of local opposition, though it is expected that all of the 38 places will be filled, including men.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/priest-s-plea-fails-to-stop-protests-over-leitrim-asylum-seeker-centre-plan-1.4067311

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Those left-wing dopes in Waterford City will take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Government afraid to anger the villagers with pitch forks so close to an election. Can't see FG forcing the issue in any part of Ireland this side of the election

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As graces7 suggested on the other thread

It appears they were hoping to change the mood by announcing a group of women instead of 30+ men as a way to get the foot in the door.

But it didn’t work thankfully

The likes of alister will have to realise they cannot bully and cajole communities to do their bidding

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »

“Originally, the State had planned to house 38 men at the Achill Head Hotel at Pollagh, but changed their plans in the face of local opposition, though it is expected that all of the 38 places will be filled, including men.”

I hereby call upon alister to apologise

alastair wrote: »
    Nope - yesterday they were saying that the first asylum seekers, who were women, were due to arrive today, having been delayed following last week’s protests. So none of the above really holds water.

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/34471-agency-confirms-intention-to-house-38-males-in-achill-centre

not 30 but 38. Silly me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nothing here had the slightest to do with the EU or any NGO.

So the EU aren’t paying Ireland to take in “our share” of “asylum seekers”??

“Originally, the State had planned to house 38 men at the Achill Head Hotel at Pollagh, but changed their plans in the face of local opposition, though it is expected that all of the 38 places will be filled, including men.”

I hereby call upon alister to apologise

For what? - I’ve confirmed every detail of what I posted with an article from yesterday’s Mayo News.

So the EU aren’t paying Ireland to take in “our share” of “asylum seekers”??

No. They’re not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Indeed. Election coming.

Plan "shelved" according to RTE radio now.

They are talking about all women on the radio but an Achill local I work with was telling me it was supposed to be all men last week.

Trying for the sympathy vote by saying 13 women were to come

All these virtue signal fake news merchants are being found out on an hourly basis at this stage

Or your fabrications are being highlighted. Check the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The locals weren't all that opposed to this. There was a lot of **** stirring by "concerned" oddballs with no connection to the area trying to get folks into a tizzy, which was very interesting to see first hand I have to say. A few of the more gullible folks got sucked in and protested, a similar amount of others were openly accepting of the idea, the vast majority of the island went about their lives and didn't give a ****.

Whatever lies you've to tell yourself.

If it was only "a few", then the government would have ignored them and carried on.

Can this thread be merged with the other one ?

Alister. Apologise for your fake news. Accept this “operation” on achill didn’t work

As they say in mayo

Get up the yard ye clown!

Nothing fake about what I’ve posted. Unlike yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

The Racist Map is getting larger. Roosky, Moville, Oughterard, Wicklow and now Achill.
    Coleman and NT breakfast should be fun tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

All these virtue signal fake news merchants are being found out on an hourly basis at this stage

Why is it everyone has to have a label now? It's very 'Republican' 'American'.
    You and another lad could agree on absolutely everything except this one issue. People are more complex, but easier to marginalise or dismiss when you put them in a box.

Gatling wrote: »
    Can this thread be merged with the other one ?

Concerned at the bull**** being called out?

Nothing fake about what I’ve posted. Unlike yourself.

Go back and have a read and then to salvage some sort of credibility apologise for your fake news BS

Concerned at the bull**** being called out?

What are you claiming now ..

Makes sense merging with the one thread already open

• Advertisement

Go back and have a read and then to salvage some sort of credibility apologise for your fake news BS

The Mayo News link confirms everything I said. It exposes your misinformation for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

What is going on here? Why isn't the department being upfront about those seeking asylum and where they are going? Are they expecting people not to notice? Also I feel the asylum seekers aren't getting what they need either, and many (if actually fleeing persecution) would need far more than a hotel room and some regional Fayre.

There is huge money in the migrant crisis - from trafficking all the way to direct provision. It's a cash cow and people are being used as pawns -

The Mayo News link confirms everything I said. It exposes your misinformation for what it is.

Ok at this stage you’re on ignore.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Varik wrote: »
    Whatever lies you've to tell yourself.

If it was only "a few", then the government would have ignored them and carried on.

Were you at the meeting in Ted's yourself? It was a fairly balanced affair.

Pretzill wrote: »
    What is going on here? Why isn't the department being upfront about those seeking asylum and where they are going? Are they expecting people not to notice? Also I feel the asylum seekers aren't getting what they need either, and many (if actually fleeing persecution) would need far more than a hotel room and some regional Fayre.

There is huge money in the migrant crisis - from trafficking all the way to direct provision. It's a cash cow and people are being used as pawns -

The majority coming into europe are not fleeing conflict or persecution they are economic migrants using the asylum process for financial gain

Fair play to the locals. More power to Ballinamore now

Ok at this stage you’re on ignore.

YESTERDAY’s news:
    The first group were initially due to arrive at the Achill Head Hotel last Thursday. Following a heated public meeting last Wednesday, the arrival date was pushed back to today (Wednesday) but yesterday it emerged it has been further put back to Friday.
    It has also emerged that the 38 asylum seekers staying at the hotel will include 13 women. Cllr McNamara was informed by officials in the Department of Justice last Friday that all those arriving would be men.
    However, The Mayo News understands that following a meeting with community representatives at the weekend, the owner of the hotel renegotiated the terms of the contract and requested that the asylum seekers include women and families.

Gatling wrote: »
    The majority coming into europe are not fleeing conflict or persecution they are economic migrants using the asylum process for financial gain

There is no financial gain in the asylum claim process.

There is no financial gain in the asylum claim process.

Yes there is ..

No financial gain lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Someone from Masi.ie was on Radio1 there, he said that these women and their kids are currently in Dublin hotels and are here for 1-3 months

Advertisement