Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

terrydel wrote: »
    My brother is looking at importing in the new year, choice between an alfa giulia and merc c350e
    He was saying the vrt on the alfa will be around 7-8k. Is that the penalty you are referring to?

There is an add on to what it would be today.

If he checks the car now it will be old price...
    Then he will see the extra.

Colm put a link to a table if I recall.

At some point (2010?) Department picked an arbitrarily high sequence number for each county (eg 12nnnn for Dublin)and gave them to imported cars, at the behest of the SIMI who were getting caned by imports.

I think the idea was to devalue imports, in the manner suggested here. It's a personal thing though, not sure it would bother me.

Anyway, it was scrapped a year or two later I think.
    Why did you create a conspiracy theory out of literally zero evidence?

The new number system was brought in when VRT registrations were swapped over to Applus from Revenue. It took a period of time for the old revenue numbering system to be integrated into Applus' system and in the meantime, they used the 12***(*) system for new imports because 12 with either 3 or 4 following digits was above existing registrations for every year in every county.

Things you got wrong:
    1) The number wasn't arbitrary
    2) It wasn't at the behest of SIMI
    3) It wasn't to devalue imports
    4) It wasn't scrapped a year or two later

Things you got right:
    <>

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Kilboor wrote: »

Gone already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Why did you create a conspiracy theory out of literally zero evidence?

The new number system was brought in when VRT registrations were swapped over to Applus from Revenue. It took a period of time for the old revenue numbering system to be integrated into Applus' system and in the meantime, they used the 12***(*) system for new imports because 12 with either 3 or 4 following digits was above existing registrations for every year in every county.

Things you got wrong:
    1) The number wasn't arbitrary
    2) It wasn't at the behest of SIMI
    3) It wasn't to devalue imports
    4) It wasn't scrapped a year or two later

Things you got right:
    <>

Im happy to be corrected, but since you are being an asshole about it,

1. 12nnnnn is an arbitrary number above existing sequences.
    2 ... maybe so
    3. Thats been the effect of it. See posts above in this thread for prime example.
    4. Its no longer used, so semantics aside, scrapped is fine.

• Advertisement

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Gone already!!!

A lot of car for that money, .

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Gone already!!!

Not surprised!

My brother is looking at importing in the new year, choice between an alfa giulia and merc c350e
    He was saying the vrt on the alfa will be around 7-8k. Is that the penalty you are referring to?

They are adding an extra charge based on NOx outputs of cars. I read it first and though that they were replacing the 'old' CO2 based charges (which would be logical) but it seems that its in addition to them. :eek:

So a 1.6 tdi golf that would attract around 1500 vrt will additionally be charged 1510 based on NOx, unless im reading it wrong. That is savage. If the purpose of the tax was to better reflect the impact of NOx on emissions ( and give some credit to petrols) , then surely a weighted average between the 2 would be fairer.

Im happy to be corrected, but since you are being an asshole about it,

1. 12nnnnn is an arbitrary number above existing sequences.
    2 ... maybe so
    3. Thats been the effect of it. See posts above in this thread for prime example.
    4. Its no longer used, so semantics aside, scrapped is fine.

Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

12***(*) was picked because no existing vehicle registration in any county or year was above that number. Therefore it was not arbitrary.

The effect of it /=/ the reason behind it. You claimed it was brought in to devalue imports, not that it devalued imports. You imputed motive and conspiracy.

And it took 4 years for it be 'scrapped'. 1-2 years is not equal to 4.

By all means though, keep inventing conspiracy theories on the internet and calling people assholes when they point out you're quite obviously making the entire thing up ��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Less sh!te talking, more BANGERNOMICS!

• Advertisement

Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

12***(*) was picked because no existing vehicle registration in any county or year was above that number. Therefore it was not arbitrary.

The effect of it /=/ the reason behind it. You claimed it was brought in to devalue imports, not that it devalued imports. You imputed motive and conspiracy.

And it took 4 years for it be 'scrapped'. 1-2 years is not equal to 4.

By all means though, keep inventing conspiracy theories on the internet and calling people assholes when they point out you're quite obviously making the entire thing up ��

Tell you what, why dont you come back to me after you get your decision from the ASAI re: Eir's meaning of 'unlimited'. But you will probably be too busy going after the producers of the movie "The Never Ending Story" by then.

I'll leave you to your pedantry (and inaccuracies) so.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭angrybeaver

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Would be my engine of choice on that whole range. Decent’ish power out of that 1.6 lump with none of the diesel complications. For a grand...it’s cheap. I think the 2008 is higher tax than the 2007... I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Cat convertor light on would be a worry, if it's gone or going it'll not be worth fixing. Good value otherwise tho and ad seems honest

Cat convertor light on would be a worry, if it's gone or going it'll not be worth fixing. Good value otherwise tho and ad seems honest

A quick look at the NCT sheet should tell how good the cat is working - whether its well within limits or just squeaked past. But yeah, if its stuffed it might be dear to fix.

Nice bit of cash spent on it and then moved on is never a good look. I'd throw an OBD scanner on it first.

+1 on the engine too, handier than the diesel if your not doing the miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Another offering from me..

Typical enough 1.4 saloon, 80k kms, NCT til October 2020, tax til May 2020
    1 owner from new, a retired bishop no less
    Brand new tyres all round (Davanti)
    Never failed an NCT, or even had an advisory..ever
    Serviced religiously (:pac:) every year, full history essentially
    Couple of small marks, but its very presentable, and like new inside

It will be going on Donedeal on Monday for 1750. If anyone here thinks it might be for them, 1500 will buy it.

49034244731_475abfd447_c.jpg

Really annoyed with myself that I missed this. Mrs T's '99 Renault Scenic is about to die & this would have suited perfectly. Great find Duke & thanks for the info. Cars like this don't come up too often.

T.

MjNkYWZhMmJjZjhlMzExNDkwNWYzMWIzZTQ0YmI0M2Qv5i0iFLaejB-OZAFej33PaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzYzNzgxNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Primera, 650 euro, 1 owner but no stated mileage. NCT to June and reads 119k km.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Kilboor wrote: »
    MjNkYWZhMmJjZjhlMzExNDkwNWYzMWIzZTQ0YmI0M2Qv5i0iFLaejB-OZAFej33PaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzYzNzgxNDF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Primera, 650 euro, 1 owner but no stated mileage. NCT to June and reads 119k km.

Those seats must have been so filthy if that's the best the valet could do on the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

May I ask how all the bangernomics drivers fare with car insurance.
    I've looked at a few that were 10 years+ and the insurance companies generally went silent.
    20+ years driving on a clean license and no claims by the way.

I was with chill on a 17 year old
    Car , 400euros, asked 600 this year so went to AXA for 500 comp. Then got a 3 yr old car and they gave me 40 euros back ???? Comp on a 10k car versus comp on a 200euro car...WTF? Must be the age.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

lalababa wrote: »
    I was with chill on a 17 year old
    Car , 400euros, asked 600 this year so went to AXA for 500 comp. Then got a 3 yr old car and they gave me 40 euros back ???? Comp on a 10k car versus comp on a 200euro car...WTF? Must be the age.

I'm currently with AXA on a 01 car and they hiked it from €460 to €735 on fully comp on my renewal at the end of this month.

6 x other insurers have come in under them ranging from €146 up to €280 cheaper. No clue what's happening with AXA tbh but they won't have me as a customer come Dec 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Nj-M1-M2-I2-ZDBj-Nm-Y1-Yz-Mz-ZWQ0-ZDg2-N2-Jk-NDM4-Zj-Bk-NTc-PMTTh1-T9x-T0oxofqze-Yp-J.jpg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-insignia-2009-cdti/23477295

Cheap and chancey
    09 160bhp cdti insignia
    Test till next october
    Looks pretty clean
    Same owner since June 2016
    Claimed clutch, flywheel and turbo done last year also full service and oil seal apparently done a fortnight ago.
    Asking €1700

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Ref the Insignia above, with 300,000 KM.

Would the recent oil pressure seal just done in sump be an early warning of further trouble with oil pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Ref the Insignia above, with 300,000 KM.

Would the recent oil pressure seal just done in sump be an early warning of further trouble with oil pressure?
    A dried out seal on the oil pump is what kills the oil pressure, which kills the engine. A new seal should mean it was caught in time and you'll be good for years to come. It's crazy that Opel were allowed to get away with not recalling the car over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Here's a nice BMW 1 series. €950. What are these like to own?.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-1-series-1-6-petrol-new-nct-11-20/23484725

N2ZkYTA3ZmM0YzA4NzEwZWQ0NzliZGEwZjQyNzFlNmXi_oXLBJLamiLL5LVOgkqCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzYzNzMyNjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

T.

TigerTim wrote: »

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-1-series-1-6-petrol-new-nct-11-20/23484725

N2ZkYTA3ZmM0YzA4NzEwZWQ0NzliZGEwZjQyNzFlNmXi_oXLBJLamiLL5LVOgkqCaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzYzNzMyNjF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

T.

I'm really starting to come round to these. Surely they will have to go up in value from here? They're ugly in a cook kind of way. Certainly beats knocking around in a Kia.

They're not much different mechanically from the 3 series, so probably the usual caveats apply plus watch for rusty brake lines, erc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

TigerTim wrote: »

T.

Am I the only one who thinks its too cheap? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

It's a 12 year old, slugish (1.6) manual tiny BMW with questionable looks. There are far safer cars to go for if you're looking for cheap reliable motoring...

It is cheap, but it is difficult to sell old cars these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

grogi wrote: »
    It's a 12 year old, slugish (1.6) manual tiny BMW with questionable looks. There are far safer cars to go for if you're looking for cheap reliable motoring...

It is cheap, but it is difficult to sell old cars these days.

The cheapest BMW's end up being the most expensive ones in the end.

It's difficult to know. There are a good few for under the sub €1k mark on done deal but there are also a fair few of similar age and mileage going for between €1k and €2.5k.

Buf if its due some major work and hasnt been taking car of, then the new owner could be in for a whole world of pain for what they think is a bargin buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

I'm really starting to come round to these. Surely they will have to go up in value from here? They're ugly in a cook kind of way. Certainly beats knocking around in a Kia.

They're not much different mechanically from the 3 series, so probably the usual caveats apply plus watch for rusty brake lines, erc.

The 1.6 leaves a lot to be desired on power but its not an awful motor. Biggest selling point of these is that they are RWD which is pretty rare for a hatchback. Main thing to look out for is the timing chain on them, and at 105k miles, I wouldnt buy one that hasnt had the chain done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement