Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

marcos_94 wrote: »
    The 1.6 leaves a lot to be desired on power but its not an awful motor. Biggest selling point of these is that they are RWD which is pretty rare for a hatchback. Main thing to look out for is the timing chain on them, and at 105k miles, I wouldnt buy one that hasnt had the chain done

Yep, as always it depends on hows its been looked after. If it doesnt need any work and has everything in order, I think its very good value. Looks in great nick outside and in, nice seats, an engine like that might be sluggish but its probably basic enough and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

trixiebust wrote: »
    The cheapest BMW's end up being the most expensive ones in the end.

I'd agree where it's cheap due to some endemic issue with the model or whatever, but in this case it's a lot about market sentiment due to age, complexity, pricey parts etc.

In these cases a cheap car can simply be good value. Anyway, I'm having a look at it later.

I'd agree where it's cheap due to some endemic issue with the model or whatever, but in this case it's a lot about market sentiment due to age, complexity, pricey parts etc.

In these cases a cheap car can simply be good value. Anyway, I'm having a look at it later.

Throw up an update when you can. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Checked the NCT on the BMW & it says "Selected Vehicle already has a Trade Booking". Does that mean its being sold by the trade?.

Please update us 26000 Elephants. I like them for some reason.

T.

terrydel wrote: »
    Throw up an update when you can. Best of luck.

Lovely car for the money, cheap because of damage to NSF door, not too apparent in photos. Needs a few 100 to fix that and correct paint and it's a brilliant car. Drives well, but had something leaking into undetray - could be oil or water, hard to tell and wasntvreaching down! Lol!

If it was for me I would have offered 850 and not be bothered about the looks - but it would bother who I'm looking for.

One owner car (previous joe duffy, so maybe ex demo or rental, probably latter) but local since 2007 and FBMWSH from Aherns in Kerry. Interior unmarked.

Interesting about dealer booking- I got the impression seller is a part time dealer. That's fine, but there were a few little half truths so be wary, but at that money its grand.

@grogi: sluggish confirmed, but it is what it is, I'd live with it.

• Advertisement

Lovely car for the money, cheap because of damage to NSF door, not too apparent in photos. Needs a few 100 to fix that and correct paint and it's a brilliant car. Drives well, but had something leaking into undetray - could be oil or water, hard to tell and wasntvreaching down! Lol!

If it was for me I would have offered 850 and not be bothered about the looks - but it would bother who I'm looking for.

One owner car (previous joe duffy, so maybe ex demo or rental, probably latter) but local since 2007 and FBMWSH from Aherns in Kerry. Interior unmarked.

Interesting about dealer booking- I got the impression seller is a part time dealer. That's fine, but there were a few little half truths so be wary, but at that money its grand.

@grogi: sluggish confirmed, but it is what it is, I'd live with it.

Is there any normal private seller left on donedeal? Dont mind traders at all, but at least be open and up front about it.
    Was the damage from a tip with another car or what?

terrydel wrote: »
    Is there any normal private seller left on donedeal? Dont mind traders at all, but at least be open and up front about it.
    Was the damage from a tip with another car or what?

LOL! Theres few enough! . I've just copped that the car has a 'listowel autos' sticker on the back - if it's one owner it should be Aherms so might be a trade in being punted on because its too old to retail.

It's being sold private, at private money so I'm not actually bothered by that at all.

Damage is purely cosmetic, supermarket tip stuff. Probably sorted for small money to be fair.

LOL! Theres few enough! . I've just copped that the car has a 'listowel autos' sticker on the back - if it's one owner it should be Aherms so might be a trade in being punted on because its too old to retail.

It's being sold private, at private money so I'm not actually bothered by that at all.

Damage is purely cosmetic, supermarket tip stuff. Probably sorted for small money to be fair.

Yeah, you aint getting a warranty at that age or price regardless of who is selling it. I just dislike the fact they cant be upfront about the fact they are trading, but maybe Im too sensitive!
    Im not a bmw fan but I think for that money you'd have a nice car there. And sure its slow maybe, but nobody buys a car like that thinking they are getting a rocket.
    If I could get half that for my 04 a3 I'd be doing well! And it has a full years tax now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Lovely car for the money, cheap because of damage to NSF door, not too apparent in photos. Needs a few 100 to fix that and correct paint and it's a brilliant car. Drives well, but had something leaking into undetray - could be oil or water, hard to tell and wasntvreaching down! Lol!.

Thanks for the feedback 26000 Elephants. Interesting re the leak. Was talking to my mechanic earlier & he said to check if the engine had any oil leaks. If it had he said to be wary. Wonder was the chain done?.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nice looking 318 coupe with NCT 09/20. Low mileage. Rest of the ad is unreadable. €1695

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-bmw318cics-nct-oct-2020-immaculate/23390388

NGQ4NjNlNWNmMzg5MzJhOTEzOWFjM2I3Yzc0ZmQ3YjAj00VGuD-_zyl9UfaSXOx7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU2NzI3ODR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

And now for something completely different.....probably one for the brave or the Alfa enthusiast.
    Ad seems genuine and knowledgeable, NCT+tax+belts done, and it's from a garage. €1750

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-gtv-2-0-t-spark/22978620

MjdiMjIyNzBlNTgwM2M5NGJhZTA0OWFhMjUyMTIxZDTpI576zRYUkvcXiGGkuGLBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzI1NzEyNTR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-volvo-c30-r-design-new-nct-11-20-and-taxed/23067335

I think they look good in the flesh but the picture makes the proportions look a bit weird...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭jharr100

TigerTim wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback 26000 Elephants. Interesting re the leak. Was talking to my mechanic earlier & he said to check if the engine had any oil leaks. If it had he said to be wary. Wonder was the chain done?.

T.

Might give him a bell in the morning if he still has it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I'm thinking there wouldnt be many people able to get insurance on that Alfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Nice looking 318 coupe with NCT 09/20. Low mileage. Rest of the ad is unreadable. €1695

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/05-bmw318cics-nct-oct-2020-immaculate/23390388

You'd find an msport for simular money but could be worth it if you got it for a few quid cheaper. Also an engine that grows fond of an extra drop of oil over time. They're coming into the age of constantly fixing niggly little things. I had a 2005 myself and a good friend has brought his 2003 coupe back into commission and have seen simular repairs popping up. Wheel speed sensors and abs rings can begin to cause trouble and some of the cheap eBay replacements dont work. Steering wheel angle sensor is another one and the bonnet sensor can get faulty and start triggering the alarm for no reason :pac: . Still look back fondly on the ownership of mine, was a lovely car to drive

And now for something completely different.....probably one for the brave or the Alfa enthusiast.
    Ad seems genuine and knowledgeable, NCT+tax+belts done, and it's from a garage. €1750

MjdiMjIyNzBlNTgwM2M5NGJhZTA0OWFhMjUyMTIxZDTpI576zRYUkvcXiGGkuGLBaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzI1NzEyNTR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

My brother had one of those, paid about 9k or so at the time and must have spent near that keeping it going over the 5 years or so he had it. But God he loved it. They are a cracking little car.

Markcheese wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-volvo-c30-r-design-new-nct-11-20-and-taxed/23067335

I think they look good in the flesh but the picture makes the proportions look a bit weird...

I agree, good looking and a interesting car.

Someone's gone to a lot of expense making a nice gtv 'cup' replica, and I think that's a ragazonn back box too. Could be nice.

Surely youd get a classic policy on her?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

That Alfa is a little peach. If I didn't need something I can rely on I'd jump at it !

RobFowl wrote: »
    That Alfa is a little peach. If I didn't need something I can rely on I'd jump at it !

It would probably break down if you did :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

RobFowl wrote: »

The 2 litre has the strongest crank of the 4 pots, but ye it would want to be a second car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Truckermal wrote: »

Decent value that. We've same one, slightly higher spec, air con and fog lights, it's dull but it's comfortable enough and does a job.

Interslice wrote: »
    The 2 litre has the strongest crank of the 4 pots, but ye it would want to be a second car.

My brother had it as a first car for five years, but as I say, it broke his heart and wallet. He loved it tho, still misses it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I owned one for 18 months or so, back in 2007-2008, and while I loved the car, it just wasn't practical and was too small and cramped for constant use. It was the same 2 litre engine as the one above, and while it wasn't particularly exciting to drive, it was enjoyable, but it ended up sitting outside the house not being used and so we sold it on.

Like most GTV owners, I've regretted it ever since, but then again, I have gone through most of them at this stage, 146, 147, 2x 156's, 166 and a GTV. They're certainly a car that will be getting very thin on the ground now, and starting to climb in values, and as a second "fun" car, would be a nice car to have!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

1.6 petrol 3 Series. Nct August 2020 for €900

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-3-series/23510862

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

1.6 petrol 3 Series. Nct August 2020 for €900

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/06-bmw-3-series/23510862

There’s a few different shades of silver on that car. Beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Grand Punto Sporting for 1k with NCT until next August, looks to have had some respray but cannot be too fussy for the price:

OTIwMzdmZTE1M2VjODQxNjA2MzI5ZWYwZjE1YzBjZTbAJRFO0-Pr0XXr1IcwsPh8aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQ3Nzg1NzR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-1-4-sporting-2006-new-nct-08-20/23270677

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Already gone.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement