Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BANGERNOMICS (sub2k) of the week/day Part 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

In other bangernomics news, it seems my time with the hybrid Civic is coming to an end after nearly six months to the day. Have it on Donedeal at the minute for €850, tested til next June and tax til November, IMA light illuminated. The phone has nearly melted, I suspect it’ll be gone very soon.

Bit disappointed to be honest. Between purchase price and maintenance it stands me €1250. I’m hoping my next buy will be a bit more successful. It was a grand car but I won’t be rushing back into anything that risky any time soon!

I’m off to look at Carinas and Corollas..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In other bangernomics news, it seems my time with the hybrid Civic is coming to an end after nearly six months to the day. Have it on Donedeal at the minute for €850, tested til next June and tax til November, IMA light illuminated. The phone has nearly melted, I suspect it’ll be gone very soon.

Bit disappointed to be honest. Between purchase price and maintenance it stands me €1250. I’m hoping my next buy will be a bit more successful. It was a grand car but I won’t be rushing back into anything that risky any time soon!

So it's basically cost you nothing to be honest....

Imagine a newer car you would be down 1000s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Again? :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Pekarirska

Nice old smoker for the money

Glued together with Gorilla Super Glue - pic # 10 :P

Yeah, to be honest they can be a bit of a risky/scary prospect these days. I think at 800 quid though (or less!) this one could be worth a punt!

Ah in fairness, if I had looked after it better, I'd have caught it in time
    Thermostat housing was cracked and leaking, viscous fan playing up, and eventually the water pump too

That one there at 800 is well worth a shot. Let the Civic fund it!

• Advertisement

So it's basically cost you nothing to be honest....

Imagine a newer car you would be down 1000s

Its not great innings for a bangernomics car though, IMO.

I would have been happy to drive it on into next year, having to look for something new is inconvenient at the minute too!

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    Again? :eek: :D

Oh yes..

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/two-carina-2-for-sale-both-diesel/22947908

NmViZjllNzg1NGYxMzNhNGIwMTJiMzQyY2I1M2Q4NzJA-ZFmYkyeVp2jOiW4TyEzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzIzMjYxNTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Have an 05 S line A4 avant coming my way tomorrow, cheap, and tested. So realistically I may just jump into that. Or the Yaris I posted a few pages back.

I'm spoilt for choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Looks very tidy, not cheap but has 8 months tax on it so evens itself out a bit:

MGRjYmE1ZjM5ZTkwNmY4MzU2MGZhNDI5YWYyZDM2MzCbelAxg3kNA8-n_Dm_5Y7jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzUyODA2Mjd8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-carina-e-leanburn/23336378

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ah Jesus. What has this thread come to. Carina’s, puntos etc. A bit of comfort please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Ah Jesus. What has this thread come to. Carina’s, puntos etc. A bit of comfort please.

Haha. Hey, what do you expect for 2k? Its better than walking! :D
    The punto is serious bangernomics, its more or less free when you factor in the tax and tyres.

• Advertisement

Sold. I reckon I could have gotten a grand for it, the phone melted. And curiously enough I had a call from Honda Clonskeagh who wanted to buy it.

Sold. I reckon I could have gotten a grand for it, the phone melted. And curiously enough I had a call from Honda Clonskeagh who wanted to buy it.

That's a weird one. They must be selling them for 4 or 5k...

Mad money the stock in clonskeagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oh yes..

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/two-carina-2-for-sale-both-diesel/22947908

NmViZjllNzg1NGYxMzNhNGIwMTJiMzQyY2I1M2Q4NzJA-ZFmYkyeVp2jOiW4TyEzaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzIzMjYxNTB8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Have an 05 S line A4 avant coming my way tomorrow, cheap, and tested. So realistically I may just jump into that. Or the Yaris I posted a few pages back.

I'm spoilt for choice!

I only got back from Japan yesterday morning without a shilling to my name and you're throwing such filth in my direction!

I wish I hadn't seen that 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/mondeo/ford-mondeo-2007/19039442

unusual colour, but nice car for small money.

carzony wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/car/ford/mondeo/ford-mondeo-2007/19039442

unusual colour, but nice car for small money.

OTIxZDIzYjZmZDJmMDYxZjE0ZjI2ZWQ2MTBiYjVjZWTUpgEQ5MuIMT48_Wk3JlnPaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzQ1NzU4Njd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

They have it even cheaper on Donedeal!
    Listed at €699 on Donedeal and €750 on Adverts

It’s because they’ll be offered half the money and a bag of chips for it on adverts.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-95-estate-auto-nct-5-20-tax-3-20-1200/23417364

MDM4YjJjMzZkMTA4NTMyNzBmOTcyMWUwZDBjZjUwYmZxB4WnSTIEUUvlKC-VYC7taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU4NjUyOTZ8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT til May 2020, tax til March 2020, 1 previous owner, €1250

Nice looking car for the money. Handy bit of tax on it

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/22187480

MDU3ZDg1MTMzYjhmMjZjMGY2YzNiMzY5NTQ2MTIwNmKPQx32PjbdwvW8uLCfs6waaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY3NjY5MzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till May 2020, €1450

Sore tax but a nice old yoke for less than 1500 quid.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-gs300/22187480

MDU3ZDg1MTMzYjhmMjZjMGY2YzNiMzY5NTQ2MTIwNmKPQx32PjbdwvW8uLCfs6waaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjY3NjY5MzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NCT till May 2020, €1450

Sore tax but a nice old yoke for less than 1500 quid.

I know its part of the whole Bangernomics thing, but it's sickening to see the car is for sale for €1450, yet the tax for the government for a year is €1494! :(

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    I know its part of the whole Bangernomics thing, but it's sickening to see the car is for sale for €1450, yet the tax for the government for a year is €1494! :(

The most sickening thing is it's collected over 28k in tax since new. We're all just the governments little cash machines. It's disgusting. There are some cars out there that have collected more tax than what they sold for on the forecourts... a great little country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Just to note too there would seem to be a few different shades of grey going on with that GS300. In one photo in particular it would seem that there was a poor attempt at blending in the paint someway back the drivers door. It may well all be superficial but just to be aware of it if viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

The most sickening thing is it's collected over 28k in tax since new. We're all just the governments little cash machines. It's disgusting. There are some cars out there that have collected more tax than what they sold for on the forecourts... a great little country.

A lexus GS300 certainly is not a necessity. Nobody needs a 3 litre engine and nobody is forced to pay that money. If you want to feel like Mr Big Fish - put the money where your mouth is. But you don't have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Colleague of mine is set on getting a bangernomics mini. I know I know....she won't listen to me.

Any common pitfalls with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Baggly wrote: »
    Colleague of mine is set on getting a bangernomics mini. I know I know....she won't listen to me.

How long have you got? An absolute heap of junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

CoBo55 wrote:
    How long have you got? An absolute heap of junk.

I have time.

I have time.

Money pit....

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Like all things, depends on the previous owner. There are some known common issues with the petrol minis (Power steering pump failure, clutch, timing chain rattle, and water pump failure) but as long as the car has been taken care of, theyre not too bad. I dont know much about the diesel engines though.

My girlfriend has had her mini (2010 1.6 petrol) about 3 years now and has put over 30k miles on it with nothing major gone wrong. Car is at 80k miles now and only issue its had was the fan was constantly on as a result of a faulty thermostat.

EDIT: I should add that they are actually very fun cars to drive. Really nippy and its a good engine. Not great on petrol for longer drives though and obviously not great for carry anything more than small bag in the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

May I ask how all the bangernomics drivers fare with car insurance.
    I've looked at a few that were 10 years+ and the insurance companies generally went silent.
    20+ years driving on a clean license and no claims by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

2008 Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci
    New NCT & a bit of tax (cheap tax too)
    Asking €1,750.. ideal for a first time driver, or someone looking for cheap motoring!

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-fiesta-diesel-new-nct-2-months-tax-2keys/23418045

Mzg4ZmE4MmI3OWQwY2Q5ZjRhN2I0NDA3YmNhYzhhY2Nrmqw8RxzPOmbR6jsNZZuXaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzU4NzA0NzZ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 vinapaddy

Hello, newbie here (despite joining 12 years ago! :)

I have an 09 Mondeo estate, NCT'd til Jan 2020, tax out since March as it's been off the road with a blown head gasket (I think). Other than that it drives well until it overheats.

Given I'll only get 150 from a breaker, would anyone have any advice on breaking it myself and trying to sell as many parts off it first (brand new radiator put in it for 400e just to tell me the head gasket was gone) and then scrap the rest? I'm no mechanic - an oil service is as much as I've ever done myself.

Or am I better off just taking the 150 quid and be done with it (and continue paying the feckin loan for another 18 months!).

Thanks
    VP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement