Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D:D Thanks you git. Tea all over my keyboard. :D

Got a new battery this week after my old one died. I reserve the greatest hate for these style of battery clamps.

Useless fiddly bloody things. :mad:

Galvoband and a few tek screws does a great job as a replacement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D:D Thanks you git. Tea all over my keyboard. :D

Got a new battery this week after my old one died. I reserve the greatest hate for these style of battery clamps.

s-l300.jpg

Useless fiddly bloody things. :mad:
    I'll take that over the German ones anyway.
    Changed the battery in herselfs 01 A4 and the ballache just trying to get at the tiny clamp that holds the battery at it's base...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Had to have the glow plug module replaced on the car last week. But can anyone confirm if it's true or not that the dpf won't regenerate if the glow plugs aren't functioning properly?

Before hand it was throwing up a few fault codes, glow plug 1,2,3 & 4 as well as the module itself but also an exhaust back pressure sensor code, all would appear back after being erased immediately but now the exhaust code hasn't returned either.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’s certainly true for some PSA engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

YbFocus wrote: »
    That was a good day!

It was the conditions that made it.

I'd like to do another one, but the crowd at the Trackdays.ie events are a bit too fast - and the last one my car was cooking itself after two laps.

On a completely unrelated note - I've no idea why I've been looking at youtube reviews of Urals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Had to have the glow plug module replaced on the car last week. But can anyone confirm if it's true or not that the dpf won't regenerate if the glow plugs aren't functioning properly?

Before hand it was throwing up a few fault codes, glow plug 1,2,3 & 4 as well as the module itself but also an exhaust back pressure sensor code, all would appear back after being erased immediately but now the exhaust code hasn't returned either.

What car is it?
    Glow plugs are used in regeneration alright, this is called post glow and it helps to achieve higher exhaust temps needed to further break down and bond the PM. If you have an open circuit or no communication that will absolutely halt regeneration in some systems.

Most modern diesels will start and run fine with 4 failed glow plugs, it’s all emissions based work for them these days. (Mostly anyway)

320d e90 n47. Im gonna give it a blast every couple of days up and down the M2 and hope I can clear out what might have built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭M7roadrunner

320d e90 n47. Im gonna give it a blast every couple of days up and down the M2 and hope I can clear out what might have built up.

Make sure your engine is getting up to temperature after 10-15 mins. There is a hidden menu on the dash that allows you to check the coolant temp, I’m not 100% sure but I think it should be up in the low 90’s.
    If you have a faulty thermostat your car won’t get hotter than low 80’s and won’t trigger a regen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Make sure your engine is getting up to temperature after 10-15 mins. There is a hidden menu on the dash that allows you to check the coolant temp, I’m not 100% sure but I think it should be up in the low 90’s.
    If you have a faulty thermostat your car won’t get hotter than low 80’s and won’t trigger a regen.

Technology has come long way

Interslice wrote: »
    Technology has come long way

And it's a **** to get that menu to appear. Think I'll use the obd reader that I bought live data function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

This lad really takes snapping pictures of Felt spec yokes to another level..:pac:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B80k6LwBil2/?igshid=j5tsvok52jdw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Another 'high end sports car' seized... :D

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0221/1116698-moldovan-gang-co-louth-search/

TLDR it's a diesel merc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

tossy wrote: »
    Another 'high end sports car' seized... :D

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0221/1116698-moldovan-gang-co-louth-search/

TLDR it's a diesel merc.

And a C200 at that, depending on the year that could mean a 1.6 litre Renault diesel :D! It seems like the fact it's an "AMG" went to their heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

BMs have had that for a while even when they have a temperature gauge, hidden menu 7.0 in the E90 (and also the E46 and E39).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

People who know more than I, has anyone an opinion on a 2004 Celica? Just a regular one. SH!TE? Good?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I really enjoyed my time with mine. Not worth a whole pile even if high spec and good condition. 2004 would be a 140bhp with the oil burning issue sorted most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Vvtli ones aren't that dear so I'd really see no reason to go for the 140bhp one unless it's extremely cheap. They handle well and feel nimble. Look pretty nice too.

2zzge engine is a peach
    1zzfe of that era isn't and is fond of oil. Wasn't it after 06 that the oil burning issues were fully sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Talking about them Celicas there is one in great nick but looking at dreamer money on DoneDeal. I was going to post it one day but didn't in the end.

I really enjoyed my time with mine. Not worth a whole pile even if high spec and good condition. 2004 would be a 140bhp with the oil burning issue sorted most likely.
    Vvtli ones aren't that dear so I'd really see no reason to go for the 140bhp one unless it's extremely cheap. They handle well and feel nimble. Look pretty nice too.

2zzge engine is a peach
    1zzfe of that era isn't and is fond of oil. Wasn't it after 06 that the oil burning issues were fully sorted
    Talking about them Celicas there is one in great nick but looking at dreamer money on DoneDeal. I was going to post it one day but didn't in the end.
    What would the value of a 2004 with a full stake of history, unmarked leather interior, Nct, 140k miles but sadly paint peeling Toyota racing pink paintwork be?

It's not advertised so can't link an ad. It's also uninsurable so pretty much a garage ornament. Drove it and loved it.

Wouldnt be paying more than €500 for it.

I had a very tidy 02 190bhp UK model, fully loaded, leather, sunroof, climate etc. New clutch, new tyres, Tons of maintenance carried out, taxed and tested at the time. Think I took around €1200 for it in 2016 and it was a struggle to get that, took months. Possibly should have kept it in hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had one a long time ago and If remember correctly there’s about 45 different bushing (over exaggeration) in the complicated front suspension and they were very expensive to replace. This was a few years ago so they might have gotten cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

And a C200 at that, depending on the year that could mean a 1.6 litre Renault diesel :D! It seems like the fact it's an "AMG" went to their heads!

It’s actually an E Class.

L-M wrote: »
    I had one a long time ago and If remember correctly there’s about 45 different bushing (over exaggeration) in the complicated front suspension and they were very expensive to replace. This was a few years ago so they might have gotten cheaper

That was probably a superstrut one.

You wouldn't see that in an Irish or UK car, it wasnt even that common in the Jap Celica gen7, you must have had a good one :pac:

Wouldnt be paying more than €500 for it.

I had a very tidy 02 190bhp UK model, fully loaded, leather, sunroof, climate etc. New clutch, new tyres, Tons of maintenance carried out, taxed and tested at the time. Think I took around €1200 for it in 2016 and it was a struggle to get that, took months. Possibly should have kept it in hindsight.
    Not the 190bhp one I know that much. If it was I'd already have it. :pac:

Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They sound like a Rav4. That always ruined it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/td-calls-for-legislation-on-selling-company-cars-983307.html

what the hells a 'company' car I must be getting old !
    A Cork TD has pledged to tackle the sale of so-called ‘company cars’ following a horror crash in his community which claimed the life of one teenager and left a teen fighting for his life.

Sinn Féin’s Thomas Gould, the first TD from Knocknaheeny, on Cork’s northside, said a system which allows the sale of cars to teenagers must be tightened, and must include tough penalties for unscrupulous vendors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Slang term for when a group of lads pool together to buy a banger to joyride in

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They sound like a Rav4. That always ruined it for me.

We've got a Rav4 and Avensis so that won't be a huge issue :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭ofcork

L-M wrote: »
    It’s actually an E Class.

Looks like alright 2 drls on e class headlights,1 on c and 3 on s class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement