Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The emissions are horrendous on them, that’s why they’re expensive to tax.

Yeah that's true hence why they stopped selling it here. I think it was pulled from the European market altogether in 2013ish.

There was one spotted at the Nurburgring recently. It was an R3 with presumably a new engine. Mazda themselves were testing it so the future looks bright.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The RX8 is going to be a car that people will want in a few years time and will be like the Toyota twin cam.
    I'd hope so MM, but maybe, I dunno. I've a feeling the whole classic area is going to change. There will always be those who will want a Twin Cam or an RX8 or whatever, but I have the strong feeling the numbers who do will contract. Especially here in Ireland, which is a tiny market for that sorta thing. Look at the generation before of would be Twincams, they're a hard sell. The big ticket classics will likely always command good even mad prices, but the upward swing that came with the interwebs, what with EV's and more and more restrictions I can see them being track, trailer and show queens.
    The emissions are horrendous on them, that’s why they’re expensive to tax.
    They're thirsty that's for sure.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

There's actually quite a lot of them for sale in the UK. Best bet there is to find a 2008 R3, get it on the old tax system and you'll have the most eligible RX8 in Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,418 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

One on the cc system redeclared to be 1.3 is surely the holy grail

One on the cc system redeclared to be 1.3 is surely the holy grail

They clamped down on that a number of years ago. Lots of people re-registered them at 1.3 and when it was copped they were all put back to 1.8 (€636)

• Advertisement

Didn’t realise they had changed them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

The RX8 is going to be a car that people will want in a few years time and will be like the Toyota twin cam. You can get an RX8 now for pittance but there's not that many options for the 231 model.

In a few years time an RX8 with a rebuilt engine will be the new cult car. The thing is that for 95% of them, the newest one you can get is already 12 years old. Very few R3s made it onto the old tax system here and I've seen them with €2,350 tax which is outrageous for that kind of car. You can tax an F10 M5 for that kind of money albeit a much more expensive car to buy.

Still miss mine :( Just thinking back to the fact that I paid €23,500 for mine in 2007 :eek:

I paid €1200 :o

They would surely make an excellent car to convert to electric?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

They would surely make an excellent car to convert to electric?

Or a Cummins diesel. Even better for the environment.

https://youtu.be/OQlg4pwO23c

Holy cow. Wasn’t expecting that to be local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There's nothing that cant be made better with a 6bt conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Holy cow. Wasn’t expecting that to be local.

Yeah it’s wrapped and all now. He has an instagram for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Seen that at Limerick it's a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,671 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Don't think so, tried incognito too but not sure if autofill does its thing there too. If I change the number I get other seller mobiles, names, county etc but just curious where the feckers got my surname, not that it really matters but still.
    I just went to the link and got someone called Leon with an 089 number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

330d xdrive

See if Rkings are interested in buying it from you for one of their raffles, good way to get rid of a high end maa-chine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

L-M wrote: »
    Or a Cummins diesel. Even better for the environment.

https://youtu.be/OQlg4pwO23c

That fella looks awful familiar

I paid €1200 :o

There always has to be eejits like me who spend 23k on a car so that someone else can get it for half nothing :pac:

I was 22 at the time and my first year's insurance was €2,500. I had trouble getting insurance as it was a Jap import.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

There always has to be eejits like me who spend 23k on a car so that someone else can get it for half nothing :pac:

I was 22 at the time and my first year's insurance was €2,500. I had trouble getting insurance as it was a Jap import.

To make you feel better, I had awful trouble finding insurance too... Ended up with a €1600 policy but the RX8 only stayed with me 4 months and I got a refund of €800 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

But at the time when you had it I am sure you adored it and felt it was money well spent. I have spent and lost a lot of money on cars over the years and it's not something I have ever really regretted.

I could easily look back now and said if i have kept my original A4 or Leon I would be up X amount of money. But would you really be, chances are the money would be just spent somewhere else if it wasn't on the car. If you like the car, enjoy driving it and can afford to buy/own it what harm is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Paid 4500 from mine from a Boardsie nearly six years ago.

Then Paid 600 for the ignition upgrades.
    Tack on about 900 for coilover to replaced blown shocks
    550 for a running engine last year
    Maybe 1300 for fitting it - along with a new clutch.
    300 for two Chinese tyres after they got slashed
    50 for a replacement midpipe from a wreck - after the cat got cut
    Can't remember what the battery cost me - but it's the only time it ever refused to start.

Have managed to rack up nearly 80,000km in it. At one stage, managed 30,000 in one year. It's done three track-days - the best one being the first.

It still moves. The passenger doorhandle fell off so it's running around with foil tape on the passenger door for the time being.

I don't think anyone's ever kept one that long - but I know one that's going for ludicrous money, with upgrades - and hasn't sold in nearly a year.

I amn't sure what to replace it with. It mostly does 200km blasts to the south of Wexford and back these days. About 70 quid in fuel, return. Nothing feels weirder than driving on a glass-smooth slab of road - with the engine at 3500 revs and no vibration whatsoever. Driving the new motorway is like rolling down a constant hill rather than being propelled by anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

My one (as you probably saw) was Midnights’s one, I gave him €1900 for it and it got a fairly hard life of daily rallying while I had it.
    Serviced every 3 months, limited every day and blew two radiators but sure it still ran well and started on the button. Those 13b’s will take more than people think.

Had it fully comp for only €600 too.

So my back box decided it didn’t want to be part of my car anymore today. I’ll have to see about cutting a section of rust out and welding in some pipe this weekend.
    It sounds so broken but the VVT change sounds cool. :p

That’s 10 days of trouble free motoring before something went wrong with a Suzuki Swift, the RX8 did over a year. :pac:

https://youtu.be/QDnWcUiUpvA

CianRyan wrote: »

Had it fully comp for only €600 too.

How?

Mine's over 1200. With full NCB

And I've never hit anything.

Dartz wrote: »
    How?

Mine's over 1200. With full NCB

And I've never hit anything.

A bit of a weird one, I had full NCB too, was 26 or 27 at the time with no points.
    I was with Aviva at the time and when I called them, they had nothing matching an RX8 on their system so it had to go to their underwriters to come up with something.
    About a week later they gave me a call, they said the closest thing they could come up with was an “RX8-7” which was a 2 liter turbo coupe. I told them that didn’t match the description of the car or anything on the log book and they assured me that it was fine and that I would be fully covered once based on that being the “closest match”.

There was a couple of months left, so changing from the Micra I gave them a few extra euros, totaling about €750 for the year and then the renewal came in at €600 and I laughed my ass off and bought it straight away. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

300 for two Chinese tyres after they got slashed

What kind of Chinese tyres where these? Must have been coated with gold flake or so the man selling them to you said. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CianRyan wrote: »

So my back box decided it didn’t want to be part of my car anymore today. I’ll have to see about cutting a section of rust out and welding in some pipe this weekend.
    It sounds so broken but the VVT change sounds cool. :p

That’s 10 days of trouble free motoring before something went wrong with a Suzuki Swift, the RX8 did over a year. :pac:

Can you weld yourself? Or would you have to bring it to a exhaust place?

Out of genuine curiosity you must be nearly finished the apprenticeship now.

I know you are with a main dealer so they may be more strict than an independent but can you bring your car into work and use the lift and tools for your own yoke?

What kind of Chinese tyres where these? Must have been coated with gold flake or so the man selling them to you said. :eek:

They were Chinese tyres that'd drive to my car at 8pm at night in Finglas and be fitted then and there after scumbags cut open the hankooks when they realised the cat they just cut out was an empty shell.

Yer man fitting them wasn't bad - good setup, good equipment, did a good job -was quick and didn't mind the rain. But the tyres were ****ing suicide hoops - it swapped ends on me three times in as many weeks and they went to the farmer's silage pit the moment I got me bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

They were Chinese tyres that'd drive to my car at 8pm at night in Finglas and be fitted then and there after scumbags cut open the hankooks when they realised the cat they just cut out was an empty shell.

I was gonna ask when you mentioned that in earlier post...

Slashed tyres and cat cut... Jesus that's ****e.

Fair play that you're sticking with it, proper petrol head! I was at that first track day with ye I believe, one of the wettest days in about ten years. Your car would have been ten times the craic mines was but I enjoyed it all the same. 4 hours each way to get to Mondello so I haven't been back since.

Screenshot-20200201-105423-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

Can you weld yourself? Or would you have to bring it to a exhaust place?

Out of genuine curiosity you must be nearly finished the apprenticeship now.

I know you are with a main dealer so they may be more strict than an independent but can you bring your car into work and use the lift and tools for your own yoke?

Yeah I can weld, I actually worked as a fabricator for a while before I started as a mechanic, I had to be a coded welder for a lot of that.

Yes and yes! I’m two weeks out from my final exams and come July I’ll be officially finished!
    Bringing your own car into work varies from garage to garage, I’ve never had an issue with it but the again, I’ve always had a good relationship with my foremen and managers. There’s no TIG welder in work though so I’ll be heading into my mates garage on Friday, it’ll be proper educates guess work. :D

@Dartz, that story genuinely hurts. I had some ball bag bend the rear wiper on my Almera back in the day and that killed me. Can’t imagine my tyres and cat all hacked at once!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

I was gonna ask when you mentioned that in earlier post...

Slashed tyres and cat cut... Jesus that's ****e.

Fair play that you're sticking with it, proper petrol head! I was at that first track day with ye I believe, one of the wettest days in about ten years. Your car would have been ten times the craic mines was but I enjoyed it all the same. 4 hours each way to get to Mondello so I haven't been back since.

Screenshot-20200201-105423-com-google-android-apps-photos.jpg

That was a good day!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

But the tyres were ****ing suicide hoops
    :D:D Thanks you git. Tea all over my keyboard. :D

Got a new battery this week after my old one died. I reserve the greatest hate for these style of battery clamps.

s-l300.jpg

Useless fiddly bloody things. :mad:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement