Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It also would've stunted the growth of ray tracing development, which will be important in coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

More sources saying the demo was running at 1080p with DLSS 2.0 enabled meaning it was actually running at half of 1080p resolution and still only achieving around 60 fps in places. With a 2080ti. That was with 3 of the 4 RT features enabled.

The 2000 series is not cut out for this at all.

30fps is an option - and will probably be the default on consoles :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Looking forward to this 1. Amd gonna be beaten to the punch yet again.

Big RT improvements and DLSS 2.0 should be a game changer.

Maybe 4k 144hz will finally be doable even on mid range cards. Granted not native 4k but if it's close who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

BloodBath wrote: »
    Looking forward to this 1. Amd gonna be beaten to the punch yet again.

Big RT improvements and DLSS 2.0 should be a game changer.

Maybe 4k 144hz will finally be doable even on mid range cards. Granted not native 4k but if it's close who cares.

I nearly bought a 2070 Super for £400 this morning. Kinda glad I held off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I really hope AMD will get some performance figures out there for RDNA2 around a similar time so can at least weigh both up then.

I've been sitting on a 1080 long enough that I can wait a month or so if it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Nov announcement and Dec launch for RDNA2 I heard.

For my new VR build I'm waiting for Zen 3 on the CPU side of things because that probably will finally topple Intel in gaming and drivers are not an issue but drivers are always an issue with AMD GPU's aren't they. While AMD will likely finally reach parity with nVidia in GPU Hardware performance/specs and potentially even pull ahead slightly this gen, the fact remains that nVidias Driver division is bigger than the whole of AMD's GPU division and I can well imagine the following scenario plays out after waiting. "Get the BiG Navi! It'll be faster than the 3080ti when they sort out their drivers!!.............drivers finally manage to unleash RDNA2s' latent potential on the eve of nVidia Hopper and AMD RDNA3 release..... LOL.

Nah, I need every frame I can get for MSFS2020 in VR on a 2160x2160 per eye (4320x2160@90hz) HP Reverb VR Headset.

3080ti/90 for me this time round.

Lots of rumours this morning that AIB cards are ready to go, and will be launched alongside the Founders cards. Pinch of salt and all that.

And Nvidia have tweeted again. Anyone here fluent in dial-up? :pac:

https://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce/status/1293090205054902273?s=20

EoinHef wrote: »
    I really hope AMD will get some performance figures out there for RDNA2 around a similar time so can at least weigh both up then.

I've been sitting on a 1080 long enough that I can wait a month or so if it was worth it.

Sucks that they won't be launching closer together. Gives Nvidia an excuse to start their prices gouging high and drop when AMD's arrive if they are competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Well, this is interesting. Looks like Nvidia's getting raytracing support setup for some big name games including WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The rumours going round bout the potential price of a 3090 are eye watering.....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

It’s really f’d up the way GPUs are going. Spend 500euro to be in the budget range 🙁. Consoles could really claw some popularity back if they play their cards right this generation I think.

Such diminishing returns at the high end of GPUs as well. Spend all that extra and get what exactly?

But budget range GPU's are not 500euro. Most people who don't have high tier cards are using around 300euro cards in their systems.

And while PC gaming is doing really well these days consoles would be still more popular. Nearly all AAA games are developed for consoles first and foremost and then ported to PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Homelander

What we might consider 'budget' range GPU's are the £200-250 class GPU's that would be the most common for 1080P setups....but they're not budget, they're more lower mainstream.

For example, recently, it would've been the GTX1060 or RX4/5 70/80/90 cards would be the most common, and they were reasonably priced, probably always will be due to the genuine competition in those brackets.

True budget cards are the GTX1650 or whatever, cards that pack a decent punch for small money, predecessor was the 1050, before that, the 750Ti. They tend to perform very well in their day, but two or three years later and they struggle with 1080p low settings.

Upper mainstream would be your RTX2060's or 5700's, but still mainstream territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

And while PC gaming is doing really well these days consoles would be still more popular. Nearly all AAA games are developed for consoles first and foremost and then ported to PC.

But the things are much better now. The most popular engines are truly multiplaftorm and mature enough, and the architecture is much more alike between consoles and PS. I would say the PC port is not really a thing anymore, but the games are developed and released as multiplaftorm from day 1.

This is allegedly a pic of the 3090 FE.

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-1-1.jpg

link

You're gonna need a bigger boat case.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    This is allegedly a pic of the 3090 FE.

NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-3090-1-1.jpg

link

You're gonna need a bigger boat case.

That's a tiny electric heater.

TBF there's MSI/ASUS cards that are as big.

*edit*

Someone on Videocardz forum fixed it.

76OBZdp.jpg
    VjI5CFI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Looks like ill have to add a new case to the cart when i buy one of these!!! for the price they should include one for free though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone else thinking this might be another Fermi round?
    (not that it won't have the perf to back it up, mind)

The top end will suck juice but the coolers seem way better now so it shouldn't be a problem.

Any confirmation or not of whether the RT and Tensor stuff is separated from the main die? That would make things a lot easier to cool.

"PSU Makers Ready 12-Pin Micro-Fit Connectors For NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series Ampere Graphics Cards" - WCCFTech (I know).

OeAjRMK.jpg?1

BloodBath wrote: »
    Any confirmation or not of whether the RT and Tensor stuff is separated from the main die? That would make things a lot easier to cool.

If I remember right the PCB photo a while ago showed two separate die areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Serephucus wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking this might be another Fermi round? (not that it won't have the perf to back it up, mind)

I can't help but remember these memes of the GTX 480 when I saw that alleged 3090 reference card.

523982.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭Inviere

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    "PSU Makers Ready 12-Pin Micro-Fit Connectors For NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 30 Series Ampere Graphics Cards"

850W or higher recommended? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Mucashinto wrote: »
    It’s really f’d up the way GPUs are going. Spend 500euro to be in the budget range 🙁. Consoles could really claw some popularity back if they play their cards right this generation I think.

Such diminishing returns at the high end of GPUs as well. Spend all that extra and get what exactly?

I dunno who the hell has the money to buy €1300 cards during a pandemic, I recon they wont be able to shift them or turn a profit. If anything I recon cards will be cheaper. Like you said the added competition of the new consoles. Times are changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Inviere wrote: »
    850W or higher recommended? :eek:

Thought they same! Even more expense on top of the pricey GPU.

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I dunno who the hell has the money to buy €1300 cards during a pandemic, I recon they wont be able to shift them or turn a profit. If anything I recon cards will be cheaper. Like you said the added competition of the new consoles. Times are changing.

I dunno. Most companies in general, but NVIDIA in particular it seems: If they could get away with legally charging your first born for their product, they would.

The 20 series didn't sell fantastically well in comparison to the 10 series, but then there wasn't the same perf. jump from 10-20 as there was from 9-10. It's looking like this may be another 10 series performance-jump-wise.

So, we have a company with products it know will be good, customers it knows really want them, and a competitor that may or not have something they should worry about, but not right away. If you're Jensen, what would you do, other than price them as high as you could get away with to start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think we're looking at this the wrong way: the prices in fact do align with the 2000 series, but 3090 is not the next gen 2080, it's a new tier completely, and the rest of the lineup seems to match the 2000 series msrps.

Advertisement