Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Please show me where you can get a decent 2080 ti for less than 1300 euros anywhere? There are a few crappy palits going for 1200 ish online
    The tech tubers have already said that the 3080 especially with the 160 dollar new fan design will cost at least the same as the 2080ti at launch..and nvidia dont have a history of selling next gen cards for the same price as last gen...they have to show the shareholders their constant profit margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    Please show me where you can get a decent 2080 ti for less than 1300 euros anywhere? There are a few crappy palits going for 1200 ish online
    The tech tubers have already said that the 3080 especially with the 160 dollar new fan design will cost at least the same as the 2080ti at launch..and nvidia dont have a history of selling next gen cards for the same price as last gen...they have to show the shareholders their constant profit margin.

https://geizhals.eu/?cmp=2035111&cmp=1870891&cmp=1870857&cmp=1870927&cmp=1870895

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I seriously doubt there's any truth in any of that 3080 speculation. The 2080ti die size is over 750mm square, this 3080 is only just over 500mm. Similar to the 2080.

I don't see how that cooler could possibly cost that much either. It's mainly aluminium. You could buy a high end AIO for that price.

On top of that AMD will be there with a similar spec card. Founders edition card premium I guess but it's hard to see pricing being much more than the 2080 was.

Possibly even less depending on how AMD price theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    I don't see how that cooler could possibly cost that much either. It's mainly aluminium. You could buy a high end AIO for that price.

I was thinking the same thing and then I went and took at close look at the heatsinks. Yeah, they are needlessly complicated for the sake of the visual appeal. I don't even know where you would start with manufacturing that without significant retooling.

Maybe it does, there's a lot more going on there than any gpu air cooler I've seen before. It's more like a high end cpu cooler. Limited run of cards too.

Seems very wasteful but I guess a lot of the market for these cards don't care too much about price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

........ There are a few crappy palits going for 1200 ish online............

I can understand why you might think that but they are actually great cards in my experience.

I had similar preconceptions when I gave up waiting on my Launch day pre-order Asus Strix GTX1080 after 3 months back in 2016 and 'settled' for a cheaper 'crappy Palit'.

Turns out they are a fantastic card and I'm glad I didn't spend an extra €150 on a Strix. Cool, quiet and mine boosted to 2ghz+ 24/7. No coil whine. The parent company of Palit and a few other brands are the largest GPU manufacturer in the world. You don't see many reviews of Palit cards in the PC Media because English language PC Media is mostly US based and Palit branded cards aren't sold in the USA.

I actually preferred the more understated DualFan and Shroud design Of the Super-Jetstream Palits compared to the more expensive well known brands like ASUS and eVGA. The Black plastic shroud was a bit cheap looking outta the box alright but Bit o' White Plastidip and I was a very happy Palit owner.

AfL4cnU.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah Palit make good cards and they're generally seen that way as well, they all get reviewed on the EU sites, don't know where the crappy comes from.

I think they sell their cards in the US as Gainward.

TBF they have some crappy coolers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭TheRover

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

I think most brands do, on their lower tier cards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah, but so does every company. You will often find Palit cards at the lower end of the cost scale that are miles better than other models at the same price range. Not always but often.

KFA are like that as well, sometimes their card can be the literal cheapest one going, even versus reference or blower cooler model, but they perform so much better.

Gigabyte, XFX and Asus are three companies that often make downright dreadful coolers on their cheaper models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Their Super Jetstream cards were decent 2.5 Slot 2 fan designs...and still €150 cheaper than a 2 slot 3 fan Strix yet with comparable cooling.

gG6p9WP.jpg

4QFPfoR.jpg?1

2.5 slots Might have prevented SLI but who does SLI anymore. Didn't prevent me having 2 other PCIe cards plugged into my motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Calibos wrote: »
    Their Super Jetstream cards were decent 2.5 Slot 2 fan designs...and still €150 cheaper than a 2 slot 3 fan Strix yet with comparable cooling.

2.5 slots Might have prevented SLI but who does SLI anymore. Didn't prevent me having 2 other PCIe cards plugged into my motherboard.

Is that your setup? That's really cool, I like that!

All i was trying to say is that the 3080 will be more expensive than the 2080 founders edition at launch..i will eat my hat if its not

2080 founders was 849euros i know this as i stupidly bought one only to feel shafted when they released the ti.
    a lot of people expecting this card to be 500-700 euros will be sorely disappointed

Im sure nvidia are waiting on rdna2 based cards to release before they announce and launch the 3060 and 3070 versions of the card

How can you feel "shafted" if the 2080 Ti released at 1200+ euro?

How can you feel "shafted" if the 2080 Ti released at 1200+ euro?

Because in my mind the 2080ti offered more ram,bigger bus,more rops and 200 more tensor cores amongst others,price to performance, well worth the 300 extra euros in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

How could you feel shafted by the release of the Ti when the 2080 and 2080 Ti were announced at the same time, and released at the same time?

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    How could you feel shafted by the release of the Ti when the 2080 and 2080 Ti were announced at the same time, and released at the same time?

Because you could not get a 2080ti for love nor money anywhere for weeks after release..i had to settle for 2080

edit..just checked the release dates..1 week between the 2 cards and if i remember correctly it was well after the new yr before the ti was in stock anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Oh wow you couldn't wait a few weeks for the card you wanted? My heart bleeds. I'm sure a lot of people wish they had that level of disposable income.

Like you're feeding into the problem of them charging whatever they like by just buying the latest and greatest as soon as it's available.

I swear if you're playing minecraft at 4k I might just lose it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ah here,what did Minecraft ever do to you? :pac:

Its a strange really good example of how ray tracing works!!

I still think we're looking at €750-900 for a 3080. The interesting thing this time around for me is what if AMD offer similar rasterisation performance with lower RT performance for €100 less.

Pretty much where the market is now with the 57XX series and the 20XX series. Similar rasterisation performance but RTX offers basic ray tracing. Next gen Nvidia will offer better RT and AMD will offer the basic RT for €100 less

Nvidias next flagship the 3090 is rumored to be coming in at 350w total board power consumption along with 24GB of GDDR6.

This thing ain't gonna be cheap but I'm guessing it's going to destroy the 2080ti and even the titan. Can't see it costing any less than £1500 though.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-3090-gpu-tgp-350w/

They are calling it the 3090 but I'm guessing it has to be the new titan with those specs. If it is then pricing is going to be at least double that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I heard similar from Moore's Law is Dead earlier in the week.

tl;dr: They're going to stop marketing the Titan to gamers, or supporting it through drivers entirely. The 3090 will become the pseudo-Titan with stupid amounts of VRAM, and the 3080 (Ti, Super, etc.) will be the highest-end one, likely with half the RAM and a few SMs lopped off.

Serephucus wrote: »
    I heard similar from Moore's Law is Dead earlier in the week.

tl;dr: They're going to stop marketing the Titan to gamers, or supporting it through drivers entirely. The 3090 will become the pseudo-Titan with stupid amounts of VRAM, and the 3080 (Ti, Super, etc.) will be the highest-end one, likely with half the RAM and a few SMs lopped off.

A £150 cooler doesn't sound so expensive now when the card is going to be £3000-4000. Still wouldn't fancy cooling a 350w card with an air cooler though.

It should have had a good 360mm AIO. It's not like price is an issue.

Do we know if that was mass production pricing, or no? Maybe they'll do an Intel and sell the CPU without a cooler installed? That would be kinda cool actually. Just sell it with a basic heatsink to cool the VRM, and let people stick their on blocks or core coolers on it.

I really would love to go back to the days of €500 flagship GPUs.

No idea. I can't see it costing that much if they are mass producing them.

350w is crying out for water cooling though. Custom loop even better.

Let's hope it's more competitive on the 3070-3080 level cards along with AMD's RDNA2. The 3090 is for pro workstation users or gamers with more money than sense.

Yup. I'm hoping We get the 3070 for €400. More realistically it'll be €450-500. It depends how scared they are of RDNA 2 really.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do we know the die size? Thatll be the biggest impact on cost (and VRM size).

Itll pretty much require it. Another 295x2?

Tom's is guessing 800+ for the full GA100, 500 for 102 (3090), and 370 for 103 (3080). Seems a little pie in the sky, but maybe they've done some napkin maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Let's hope it's more competitive on the 3070-3080 level cards along with AMD's RDNA2. The 3090 is for pro workstation users or gamers with more money than sense.
    Serephucus wrote: »
    Yup. I'm hoping We get the 3070 for €400. More realistically it'll be €450-500. It depends how scared they are of RDNA 2 really.

I just can't see Nvidia selling their latest card for less than it's current gen version considering how much they jacked up pricing for the 10XX and 20XX GPU's compared to the 970 and 980 cards. My bet for the upcoming partner cards is €600-700 for the 3070, €800-900 for the 3080 and €1000-1300 for the 3090.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    I just can't see Nvidia selling their latest card for less than it's current gen version considering how much they jacked up pricing for the 10XX and 20XX GPU's compared to the 970 and 980 cards. My bet for the upcoming partner cards is €600-700 for the 3070, €800-900 for the 3080 and €1000-1300 for the 3090.

No way is the 3090 going to be anywhere near that cheap if it's the titan replacement which it seems to be.

It's supposed to be a 850mm square die with 24GB of GDDR6. Expect at least 3 grand.

Advertisement